• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I don't mention Sora a lot mainly because, well...I don't think there's any chance he's getting in at all, personally. I think even compared to Master Chief, the odds are incredibly low.

But if it did happen? As someone who has played every KH game, who grew up with series, has read the lore extensively...

I'd be really, really, really heckin' happy.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not really, no. In terms of character I guess you could say they're kinda similar in the regards that both are the happy-go-lucky "my friends are my power!!!" kinda guy, but their respective arcs differ significantly.
So, as far as Super Smash Bros. goes the two would give off similar vibes since their core personalities are similar and character development doesn't tend to show much within the series.

Hmm...Or maybe not considering their huge difference in volume.

In terms of combat though, they couldn't be any less similar. Rex has a variety of different close range weapons via switching blades, whereas Sora has a plethora of long and short range moves alongside a bunch of other stuff.
Gameplay didn't even cross my mind. I know enough about the two to know that Sora's stuff is centered around combos and flow and magic and stuff while Rex and his Blades are more about using the right abilities at the right times to maximize their effectiveness, and movement is pretty heavily punished unlike with Mr. Flowmotion over there.

So yeah, I know they're night and day in that aspect.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Alright, gots another question for ya'll:

If you could pick any 1 Mii/Assist trophy to get a full playable character upgrade, which would you pick?

For me?.. well it's obvious...
yOu'Re gOnnA HaVe A BaD TIme
Easy pick for me (sorry Waluigi)

If Shovel Knight ever becomes playable I’m done speculating, Smash would reach total perfection in my eyes

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

If you could pick any 1 Mii/Assist trophy to get a full playable character upgrade, which would you pick?

Dr. Kawashima, because I'm bored and I want to watch the world burn.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
So Smash DLC has given us fighters that "made sense in hindsight". What that really means is that it's a character that no one expected but wasn't out of the realm of possibility. So instead of talking about the usual suspects, let's turn our eyes on characters that are rarely discussed but potentially could be in the Pass.

I think Red from Angry Birds counts. It's a video game character that is famous worldwide and even a favorite of Shigeru Miyamoto. Angry Birds is rarely discussed because it's a really odd choice. Certain characters just scream "Smash Fighter" but the Angry Birds don't. Not that this would stop them.

Bub & Bob are characters I see brought up now and then but people don't really consider a serious contender. Taito is a legendary gaming company and one of the few left that don't have a fighter in Smash. If Nintendo approached Taito this would be the likely choice.

There are also companies like Capcom or Namco that might give us a fighter that was totally unexpected. Like Wonder Momo or something. You just never know.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not gonna lie, Dr. Kawashima would be pretty great. I know everyone else would probably get mad because just like with WFT and PP they'd say he was a wasted slot for not being a "serious" character. Personally though, I think a floating head that fights with simple math problems and sudoku puzzles would be a pretty surreal fighter.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think Red from Angry Birds counts. It's a video game character that is famous worldwide and even a favorite of Shigeru Miyamoto. Angry Birds is rarely discussed because it's a really odd choice. Certain characters just scream "Smash Fighter" but the Angry Birds don't. Not that this would stop them.
The Angry Birds would certainly make an interesting fighter, though hearing that the Angry Birds series has become just a big copycat cash grab makes me kinda not want it.

I'd be ok with an Assist Trophy though. Oh boy would they make an amazing Assist Trophy.

Bub & Bob are characters I see brought up now and then but people don't really consider a serious contender. Taito is a legendary gaming company and one of the few left that don't have a fighter in Smash. If Nintendo approached Taito this would be the likely choice.
I thought Bubble Bobble was SquareEnix for some reason.
EDIT EDIT: They are. SquareEnix owns them. lol. As far as I'm concerned this means they don't really have a chance since given the choice between Geno and Bub & Bob, I think Geno would win on all accounts. Heck, even someone like Crono would probably be picked before Bub & Bob.

EDIT: Euden from Dragalia Lost might be a "makes sense in hindsight" candidate as well, though that depends on how much they want to push that game.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So Smash DLC has given us fighters that "made sense in hindsight". What that really means is that it's a character that no one expected but wasn't out of the realm of possibility. So instead of talking about the usual suspects, let's turn our eyes on characters that are rarely discussed but potentially could be in the Pass.

There are also companies like Capcom or Namco that might give us a fighter that was totally unexpected. Like Wonder Momo or something. You just never know.
There's two that were just suggested recently: Crazy Dave and the Prince of Persia. The former represents the tower defense genre and a classic mobile game, and the other is the progenitor of the cinematic platformer, plus Sands of Time is considered one of the best games of all time.

There's also the Chosen Undead, who's being rated right now, plus Artorias, Solaire, or whoever else could be a Dark Souls rep. It's one of the major definers of the 2010's, codifying the Soulslike subgenre and becoming a measuring stick of brutal difficulty. Lloyd is probably going to be out Bamco rep, but Dark Souls is not to be slept on.

Lastly, Dovahkiin. Elder Scrolls is pretty much the Western RPG, and Skyrim in particular is the most well-known of the series. He's mostly passed over in favor of Doomguy, since the latter got a lot of new developments in his favor while Dovah took a bit of a break, but Skyrim is still another candidate that should not be ignored.
The Angry Birds would certainly make an interesting fighter, though hearing that the Angry Birds series has become just a big copycat cash grab makes me kinda not want it.

I'd be ok with an Assist Trophy though. Oh boy would they make an amazing Assist Trophy.

I thought Bubble Bobble was SquareEnix for some reason.
Yeah, Angry Birds isn't what it used to. They took down the original game because it wasn't "profitable enough," for crying out loud! That's the hardest you can shoot yourself in the foot short of something actually morally reprehensible, like with Konami or Blizzard.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Saki Amamiya: Had plenty of requests during the Brawl era, Sin & Punishment was an influence on Kid Icarus Uprising and sold enough when it was finally released internationally on VC to fund a sequel.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
There's two that were just suggested recently: Crazy Dave and the Prince of Persia. The former represents the tower defense genre and a classic mobile game, and the other is the progenitor of the cinematic platformer, plus Sands of Time is considered one of the best games of all time.

There's also the Chosen Undead, who's being rated right now, plus Artorias, Solaire, or whoever else could be a Dark Souls rep. It's one of the major definers of the 2010's, codifying the Soulslike subgenre and becoming a measuring stick of brutal difficulty. Lloyd is probably going to be out Bamco rep, but Dark Souls is not to be slept on.

Lastly, Dovahkiin. Elder Scrolls is pretty much the Western RPG, and Skyrim in particular is the most well-known of the series. He's mostly passed over in favor of Doomguy, since the latter got a lot of new developments in his favor while Dovah took a bit of a break, but Skyrim is still another candidate that should not be ignored.

Yeah, Angry Birds isn't what it used to. They took down the original game because it wasn't "profitable enough," for crying out loud! That's the hardest you can shoot yourself in the foot short of something actually morally reprehensible, like with Konami or Blizzard.
Oh yeah boy let's keep the Prince of Persia talk going.

If the Switch remake turns out to be a thing, y'all better start hardcore speculating him. Otherwise you're gonna see me constantly reminding everyone of the series' history and how he totally deserves to be in Smash, and it'd get annoying/sad pretty quick. Nobody wants that.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Eh I'll give my vote up for the Golden Sun fans, I'd upgrade Isaac. I got Banjo & Kazooie so I may as well use my privilege for good.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Just the one?

Well I'mma stick to my guns and say Krystal from Star Fox.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I haven't played Kingdom Hearts so I could be super wrong but...Aren't Rex and Sora very similar characters? Like, if one bothered you wouldn't the other as well?
I don't hate Sora persay; it's mostly the series itself that I'm not particularly fond of. Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix is the only game in the series that I've enjoyed so far - I've also played KH1, Re:CoM, and BBS but have very little positive to say about those - and even then, I recall the base game being a slog to go through before the actual fun stuff showed up with the data boss fights and Lingering Will.

I'm also just not a fan of Nomura's storytelling.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Eh I'll give my vote up for the Golden Sun fans, I'd upgrade Isaac. I got Banjo & Kazooie so I may as well use my privilege for good.
Yeah, actually, given the choice, I would hesitate a lot between Skull Kid and Isaac, even though I'm more inclined towards the first one. Bomberman doesn't mean anything to me, I just think he "should" be playable.

And there are other assists I would love, like Krystal.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

i'd say bomberman but someone else already said it so uh

this guy
murasame_castle.png

Staarih

Smash Master

I always had a hunch that if any indie would reach playable status, it would be Undertale seeing how popular it became in Japan. Sans Mii is close enough, I guess. I still kinda think Undertale is something to keep an eye on even if its kinda dormant right now. Seeing how lovey-dovey Toby Fox is with Nintendo and getting to work with Sakurai and Game Freak and being featured in all kinds of Nintendo outlets (like the MOTHER book) and Deltarune on the way... Smash dream may be dead but I see potential for a lot.

As for your question, I’d go with Isaac.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Yeah, actually, given the choice, I would hesitate a lot between Skull Kid and Isaac, even though I'm more inclined towards the first one. Bomberman doesn't mean anything to me, I just think he "should" be playable.

And there are other assists I would love, like Krystal.
Yeah I feel like Isaac fans would have suffered enough. Even though he's a Sword fighter, As long as he has some good magical spells as his specials then it'd be good.

I mean I'd like Alucard as a playable character but Simon is just way more important and even though Richter is an Echo Fighter, I like him. Just wish he had some actual gameplay differences. As for the Sonic cast, I'd rather see Tails get in before Knuckles and Shadow.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I don't hate Sora persay; it's mostly the series itself that I'm not particularly fond of. Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix is the only game in the series that I've enjoyed so far - I've also played KH1, Re:CoM, and BBS but have very little positive to say about those - and even then, I recall the base game being a slog to go through before the actual fun stuff showed up with the data boss fights and Lingering Will.

I'm also just not a fan of Nomura's storytelling.
I don't know what they need to do in order to improve the base story content in KH for the general audience. Increasing the difficulty could encourage more varied use of the tools available to players, but at the same time most people who opt to play Critical/Proud Mode play it the exact same way as Standard- mashing attack and using cure. The only difference is on Crit they're slightly more careful, or more willing to level grind when confronted with a wall. Maybe better tutorials?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
So, as far as Super Smash Bros. goes the two would give off similar vibes since their core personalities are similar and character development doesn't tend to show much within the series.

Hmm...Or maybe not considering their huge difference in volume.

Gameplay didn't even cross my mind. I know enough about the two to know that Sora's stuff is centered around combos and flow and magic and stuff while Rex and his Blades are more about using the right abilities at the right times to maximize their effectiveness, and movement is pretty heavily punished unlike with Mr. Flowmotion over there.

So yeah, I know they're night and day in that aspect.
Bro, If Sakurai put flowmotion in his attacks, that would be so ****ing amazing

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Personally, i'd go for Sol because I have deeper attachment to GG than I do their other games, and they actually created Guilty Gear while some games just fell into their lap when other companies went under
plus I really want to see what they'd do for a stage, and good god Guilty Gear's music is far too good to pass up on adding to Smash, and that alone is worth adding Sol

Outside of him though, i'd love to see Billy make it into the game, since we've never really had a beat-em-up character before, and I can see that being a factor in his moveset, like a beat-em-up style grab like DK cargo throw

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here are three I thought of a couple days ago:
Diagram Meme 1.jpg

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

A beat ‘em up character like Haggar, Axel Stone, Double Dragon’s Billy & Jimmy or Battletoads’s Rash. I’ve mentioned this before but the Beat ‘Em Up genre is one of the few retro genres that doesn’t have a character in Smash. With how Sakurai talks about arcade era games, I imagine he has a soft spot for this genre so I can see a rep happening.

Contra’s Bill Rizer is another big one. Everyone talks about Ryu Hayabusa as the next potential NES era character, but Contra is just as much of a NES icon as Nin

Of course, we do have people like me doubting that they're trying to top Ryu and Cloud being part of Smash 4's DLC. I am willing to discuss plenty of third-party characters though as long as it's actually about the characters and not "They HAVE to be making Cloud's reveal look like Corrin's with every remaining FP2 character! I refuse to accept any other idea!"
I imagine we’ll get atleast one character like that. FP1 had one with Hero, it just didn’t seem that way to Western fans. But the reaction from Japanese fans & Dragon Quest’s sales numbers prove that it was definitely close to Cloud.

Sans & Shovel Knight easily. I loved both of those games & they feel like honorary Nintendo games to me anyway.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
people like to abuse the "Smash is for good boys and girls." saying when talking about 2B when its as simple as putting some shorts on her and shes good
I agree. I feel most people use that quote very easily, similar to the infamous "what matters it's if a character is fun to play, not just recognizable". Like we've reached to a point where it feels like "Smash is for good boys and girls" is used against like any female character that isn't fully covered. And it's a bit obnoxious, in my opinion.

Sure, 2B for example would need some changes, but it would be doable. People seem to forget that Mai didn't get in as a cameo background, not a playable character. We know Sakurai is open to make design changes, even if those changes are very small: Bayonetta, Palutena...

The only real problem here would be Yoko Taro or Square Enix and if they're okay with changing 2B's design. Square I don't think they would be against it at all, and as for Taro I don't really know, he seems excentric enough to reach the level of saying nope to 2B getting a few design changes lol, but he would probably be okay with 2B getting some changes.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I agree. I feel most people use that quote very easily, similar to the infamous "what matters it's if a character is fun to play, not just recognizable". Like we've reached to a point where it feels like "Smash is for good boys and girls" is used against like any female character that isn't fully covered. And it's a bit obnoxious, in my opinion.

Sure, 2B for example would need some changes, but it would be doable. People seem to forget that Mai didn't get in as a cameo background, not a playable character. We know Sakurai is open to make design changes, even if those changes are very small: Bayonetta, Palutena...

The only real problem here would be Yoko Taro or Square Enix and if they're okay with changing 2B's design. Square I don't think they would be against it at all, and as for Taro I don't really know, he seems excentric enough to reach the level of saying nope to 2B getting a few design changes lol, but he would probably be okay with 2B getting some changes.
I feel like if Mai's (really quite lovely) red velvety looking dress that she wears underneath her usual garb in one of her recent crossovers existed when Terry was being made, she would definitely have made an appearance.

And yeah, the entire argument can get pretty dumb. Like, it's a common argument for Morrigan. Morrigan. Literally all you have to do is make her leotard cover more in the bust area and she's fine. Heck, it's already been done in Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite (granted it makes it look like she's wearing a costume but that's because MvCI's art direction is utter garbage).

The other quote is pretty dumb too because it doesn't actually mean anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom