• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
I don't know why people are really on the Urishfu Train so hard. If you like him that's fine, but i think alot of people are taking the "Nintendo always Promoting" thing too far with him.

The only character added for the sake of Promotion was Byleth (as Nintendo wanted a character that People wold be Playing now). Plus wouldn't Urishfu be old news by then, there is another DLC Pack for Pokemon so shouldn't that hypothetical pokemon be added in over Urishfu for Promotion

Not to say we won't be Getting a Gen 8 Pokemon (even though i don't think we will), but I mean, there's more to this
Pretty much this.

If we get a Gen 8 Pokémon, I'm expecting either a starter because easier to overall market, or in a extreme case a darkhorse pick that would still bring them as much profit if not more.

A bunch of people expecting Urshifu are pretty much fearmongering with a few trying to see their own best scenario in that case.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't feel like we have enough to go off of for predicting the ratio of third and first-parties.

Min Min alone doesn't set a tone for the entire pass, and I don't believe that she's the best this pass has to offer. At the same time, I do think some people should be more cautious. I'm surprised by how many people can comfortably assume that the pass will only have one more first-party or no more after Min Min.

Prior to the ARMS reveal, many were confident in a nearly full third-party pass. A lot of people in this thread thought F6 would be some big-shot third-party who would launch the pass with a great start, and ARMS wasn't even considered to be a serious contender. Anything could happen, and people should be prepared for better or worse.
Yeah, you've got a good point. I think Nintendo's original plan was to boost hype for ARMS, then reveal Min Min alongside a big heavy-hitter at E3, but that went down the drain because of COVID and Min Min had to start the pass by herself.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Yeah, you've got a good point. I think Nintendo's original plan was to boost hype for ARMS, then reveal Min Min alongside a big heavy-hitter at E3, but that went down the drain because of COVID and Min Min had to start the pass by herself.
So what you're saying is that FP7 (and perhaps even FP8 if we get that revealed) could be a good teller of what this pass is about

If we getting a Character like Geno as FP7, I honestly expect a good portion of the pass to be Promotions of NPC Characters, or giving characters 2nd chances. If it's someone like a Gen 8 Pokemon or Rex, I will hop on the 1st Party Train, (and i guess Rex would also promote NPC Promotion). If it's Someone Big like Master Chief, Crash, or Dante, It might honestly just might be mix or primarily 3rd party again.

If it's someone lowkey like Professor Layton, Neku, etc, Then I honestly don't know

If it's an Assist Trophy like Waluigi, Shadow, Isaac, and Bomberman, things are gonna get real crazy

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think Namco and Capcom would be the easiest to work with, with Namco already working on the game and Capcom lending out their characters to everything from Hello Kitty to a Family Guy flash game. With that in mind I'd say Tales, DMC and Monster Hunter feel like the frontrunners, but they could go with something different altogether.
What about Koei Tecmo also?

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Both FP1 and base roster (not including echoes) have the same order of type reveals: They started with a modern, popular but not incredible massive characters: Inklings from Splatoon (2015) and Joker from Persona 5 (2017).

If we put on context of when they decide each of those fighters (end 2015 for Inkling and mid 2018 for Joker), at that time both were from games that have sold very well, maybe not +10 million copies but were enough popular and had very good reception on modern gamers.

Then, the next 3 fighters for base roster (and 2 from FP1) were popular fighters with (in some cases very high) fan demand: Ridley, Simon and King K Rool for base roster, Hero and Banjo-Kazooie from FP1.

Later, they go with a not worldwide popular pick or unexpected (in smash fanbase); Isabelle and Terry. i think that with both of them they wanted to go for different audiences than other fighters (Animal Crossing is oriented for non-enthusiasts nintendo fans and Fatal Fury has its core fanbase in old/retro/lapsed gamers who loved arcades in 90’s)

Finally, the last fighter was from the lastest installment (of that time) from popular Nintendo IPs: Incineroar and Byleth. Both are from games that released after they decided base roster/FP1 fighters.

So far, with FP2, they started very similar, Min Min, is from ARMS, something equivalent to Splatoon or Persona 5 (more similar to Splatoon as is a popular new Nintendo IP that debuted 3 years ago).

So I think they will follow a similar pattern, next 3 fighters should be the equivalent to Ridley/Simon/KRool or Hero/Banjo; big selling pass fighters.

The 5th pick can be something similar to Isabelle/Terry; an unexpected fighter that tries to attract another type of audience or is more niche.

And 6th can be from early/mid 2021 Switch game, I hope they don’t choose again Pokemon or Fire Emblem haha

D

Deleted member

There's a reason why people expect a new Pokemon. Smash 4 and Ultimate both had placeholder slots for new Pokemon which turned into Greninja and Incineroar, and both sets of DLC have had a promotional pick in them (Corrin and Byleth). Just looking at patterns it's pretty likely we see a mon from SwSh, and it's not like we know much of anything about Nintendo's 2021 lineup to speculate on a potential promo character from that year.

zferolie

Smash Hero
There's a reason why people expect a new Pokemon. Smash 4 and Ultimate both had placeholder slots for new Pokemon which turned into Greninja and Incineroar, and both sets of DLC have had a promotional pick in them (Corrin and Byleth). Just looking at patterns it's pretty likely we see a mon from SwSh, and it's not like we know much of anything about Nintendo's 2021 lineup to speculate on a potential promo character from that year.
Havent people learned by now not to look for patterns as sakurai has consistently broken them?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If it's Urshifu, I hope it's water style so I can pretend I'm Garou from One Punch Man and do this type of stuff.
garou pummel.gif

D

Deleted member

Havent people learned by now not to look for patterns as sakurai has consistently broken them?
Just because some patterns have been broken doesn't mean all of them are completely bunk or worthless in speculation. I'm not gonna go around saying Naruto and Goku are confirmed because Sakurai breaks patterns so 4th parties are suddenly on the table.

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
What about Koei Tecmo also?
I'd say they're probably a good contender. They've worked pretty heavily with Nintendo in the past. I've seen people argue that they wouldn't allow it because of their feud with Capcom, but refusing to be in Smash because of said disdain would really only hurt them. Besides, they already sort of have representation in Smash with the Fatal Frame stuff, so if they're okay with that, I don't see why they wouldn't be okay with a playable character.

>Capcom lending their characters to a hello kitty flash game

hold up WHAT

I knew about the Family Guy thing but
I don't think it was a flash game, just remember that they announced some sort of Street Fighter/Hello Kitty collaboration at one of their announcement livestreams.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I realize that some people are doing it for honest fun, but I wouldn't advise looking for patterns between the base roster, FP1, and FP2 to predict who the final characters will be.

Sure, Inkling, Joker, and Min Min likely have a couple of similarities between themselves, but I feel like there's far more separating them than connecting them. If the similarities were that obvious, ARMS would've been treated as a serious contender for F6, but it wasn't. Most people were expecting someone like Crash.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I realize that some people are doing it for honest fun, but I wouldn't advise looking for patterns between the base roster, FP1, and FP2 to predict who the final characters will be.

Sure, Inkling, Joker, and Min Min likely have a couple of similarities between themselves, but I feel like there's far more separating them than connecting them. If the similarities were that obvious, ARMS would've been treated as a serious contender for F6, but it wasn't. Most people were expecting someone like Crash.
That is because people on the bottom only wants the massive mega popular fighters.

But well, we should wait a bit and see (at least for CP7 and 8). Base game and FP1 has sold very well, so why not repeat the same pattern?

7NATOR

Smash Master
Oh and Something to ask, Do you guys think you will at least get 1 character right in your predictions for this pass

I'm not gonna count Min-Min Since for 1. I wasn't even predicting Min-Min, and also that I wasn't predicting ARMs before they had the reveal in March/

I ask because I have never gotten a Playable character right in My Time of Smash speculation (Mostly just this game). I'm hoping to get at least 1 character right (and for that character to be a certain someone)

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Oh and Something to ask, Do you guys think you will at least get 1 character right in your predictions for this pass

I'm not gonna count Min-Min Since for 1. I wasn't even predicting Min-Min, and also that I wasn't predicting ARMs before they had the reveal in March/

I ask because I have never gotten a Playable character right in My Time of Smash speculation (Mostly just this game). I'm hoping to get at least 1 character right (and for that character to be a certain someone)
I got over half of Pass 1 right so I'm hoping I can do that again, which would technically be an improvement. Already got one wrong though lol

EDIT: Actually, I'm giving myself a bit too much credit there. I didn't predict Byleth but I did predict the pass would end on a Nintendo character and Byleth was one of the ones I thought it could be.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

You're speaking as if Joker was a serious contender as FP1.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Absolutely not, the characters I want are more wishful thinking at this point. lol

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
But well, we should wait a bit and see (at least for CP7 and 8). Base game and FP1 has sold very well, so why not repeat the same pattern?
Thing is, there's plenty of characters who could've been F6, and I'm sure I could make a believable reason for each of them as to why they fit some sort of intentional pattern.

Joker and Min Min are both really new and Nintendo wanted to promote their games.
Joker and Crash are both really big third-party additions.
Joker and SMT rep are both Atlus characters.
Joker and Master Chief both had been exclusive to other consoles prior to their inclusion.
Joker and Dante both come from a M-rated game.

These patterns are only obvious after the fact.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

Of all the predictions I've made for Fighters Pass 2, the one I think is the most "on the money" so to speak is getting another Banjo-type character. The reaction to Banjo's inclusion in Fighters Pass 1 was hugely positive, and I believe he was revealed around the time when the character picking process for Fighters Pass 2 was still underway (could be wrong on that, feel free to correct me). Whatever characters get into Fighters Pass 2, I'd be surprised if they don't repeat the same thing with at least one more Banjo-type character.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Nope, not at all

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Thing is, there's plenty of characters who could've been F6, and I'm sure I could make a believable reason for each of them as to why they fit some sort of intentional pattern.

Joker and Min Min are both really new and Nintendo wanted to promote their games.
Joker and Crash are both really big third-party additions.
Joker and SMT rep are both Atlus characters.
Joker and Master Chief both had been exclusive to other consoles prior to their inclusion.
Joker and Dante both come from a M-rated game.

These patterns are only obvious after the fact.
Oh snap. It's all coming together.

Dante, Master Chief, Crash, and a SMT rep are four of the remaining DLC fighters of this pass we now know!

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

I got two things right during the last Fighter's Pass, Erdrick/Eight (the former who I had considered in late in the DLC cycle for Smash for Wii U and the later I actually had in a roster between the March 2018 Direct and Ultimate's unveiling) and Byleth. Other than that, I completely misfired. I thought Banjo was too far a shot and thought Nakoruru was more likely than Terry, meanwhile I never even considered Joker. Plus, I was totally off on who the ARMS character would be, so I think I'll maybe get one character right and the rest wrong.

That's not stopping me from writing a massive essay detailing my FP2 predictions, lol.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908

The only pattern I believe in Smash speculation is that I will never be right about anything.

(except when I constantly said Isabelle was to important to be an echo fighter, I’m still proud of that)

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Obviously Joker and Inkling correlate because Inkling looks like Futaba. Duh.

Don't ask me how Min Min ties into all of this, I don't actually play Persona.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Only one I got right so far is Min Min. HOPING I get Cradh right, at the very least.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

My safe bet: Crash
My risky bet: Octoling (I find the fact they’re giving Splatoon 2 a sudden promotion push just a tad fishy)
My dream of dreams: Elma

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I feel like Smash 4 already broke the promotional Pokemon idea a bit. Gen III still has no playable rep and 2014 was THE time to do it with ORAS coming out around Smash's launch. Sure, we got Mewtwo who did get a Mega Evolution... but like, Mewtwo was absolutely chosen for his Smash legacy more than anything else at that time because Nintendo and Sakurai knew how much people wanted him back. Just as they did for Lucas and Roy TBH.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My risky bet: Octoling (I find the fact they’re giving Splatoon 2 a sudden promotion push just a tad fishy)
May as well pitch in.

My safe bet: Crash Bandicoot
My risky bet: Master Chief
My dream bet: Amaterasu or Phoenix Wright

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

I predicted Byleth for the first pass and I think Dante is very likely for this one.

Rex is still the dream tho.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Obviously Joker and Inkling correlate because Inkling looks like Futaba. Duh.

Don't ask me how Min Min ties into all of this, I don't actually play Persona.
Clearly Joker has a thing for Chinese girls, so he asked Sakurai when he was included to give him a new addition to his ever-expanding harem.
Safe bet: One of the Gen 8 starters
Risky bet: Dante
Dream of Dreams: Shantae

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Safe bet: Rex
Risky bets: Isaac, Reimu
Pipe dream: Klonoa
If we're adhering strictly to the original formula, Reimu's my dream of dreams.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I feel like Smash 4 already broke the promotional Pokemon idea a bit. Gen III still has no playable rep and 2014 was THE time to do it with ORAS coming out around Smash's launch. Sure, we got Mewtwo who did get a Mega Evolution... but like, Mewtwo was absolutely chosen for his Smash legacy more than anything else at that time because Nintendo and Sakurai knew how much people wanted him back. Just as they did for Lucas and Roy TBH.
Remakes rarely cause anything significant to be added to Smash, and it doesn't seem like Nintendo or Sakurai feel very obligated to promote them. We've had plenty of remakes of Zelda games over the past ten years, and the only thing that's come out of them is a Gerudo Valley stage. No Impa, no Skull Kid, no Midna. Same thing has applied to Metroid, Star Fox, FE, and probably Xenoblade too after all is said and done. If a character or stage was added because of a recent release, then it's probably because that game was completely new, not a remake.

I doubt there was ever a serious discussion about adding a ORAS Pokemon. There were already trophies, music, and Pokeball Pokemon that referenced the games just fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom