• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why have all these cool Pokemon, when you can have an awesome Pokemon?

GARCHOMP TIME BABY!

SKX31

Smash Master
No, the first Pass did so well that Nintendo specifically mentioned it as a highlight in one of their Investor/Financial meetings. I’m going to assume they’re smart enough to see that it was because of the big 3rd party names in that pass.

I do think it’s likely that we get a 3:3 or 4:2 split when it comes to Nintendo characters though. But atleast one, maybe two, of the third parties we get will be a BIG name. Someone along the lines of Ryu, Cloud & Hero.

My current theory is two more Nintendo characters, two big third parties (One appealing to the West, one appealing to Japan) & a smaller third party that would probably have strong ties to Nintendo (Bravely Default, Travis Touchdown, SMT, etc...). Maybe a 4th Nintendo character in place of the smaller third party.
Could absolutely see that. I'm still thinking that "2-4 or even 1-5 first / third party split" is a tad bit more likely, but personally I'm not going to be fussed if it's more first-party leaning.

Considering Pokken...y'know what Pokemon is apart of the roster who is suspiciously no longer a Pokemon summon in Smash?
Weavile was legit annoying in Brawl whenever it was summoned.

Fully support that inclusion if it happens.

Also, this is the first time I've seen Japan, South Korea and Taiwan combined into one region in this context:

D

Deleted member

Figure I post this. If true a Pokemon rep could be next.
I'd be up for another pokemon rep, but its Papagenos. Has he been right about anything yet? Is there any reason to take anything he says seriously? He's not nearly as bad as people like laxchris or Blockedcontent, but basically all the Smash leak youtubers are Clickbaiters and it never pans out so its kinda pointless to take it even with a grain of salt. Better to just ignore it and wait until some other form of rumor comes through.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Could absolutely see that. I'm still thinking that "2-4 or even 1-5 first / third party split" is a tad bit more likely, but personally I'm not going to be fussed if it's more first-party leaning.

Also, this is the first time I've seen Japan, South Korea and Taiwan combined into one region in this context:

Animal crossing still printing paper

and Im so tempted to buy Origami kinh

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Man, doesn't take much to go on another Pokemon tangent. Does it?

That's why we need a Pokemon dedicated Smash game!

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

I’d definitely prefer a 2-4 or 1-5 split since I doubt any of the Nintendo characters (Waluigi, Dixie, Impa & Akira Howard) I want are likely, but I’m sort of just mentally preparing myself for a more Nintendo focused pass.

That’s just a theory I have & I’m not 100% confident in it. Tbh, we won’t know until the final character. It’s hard to be truly confident in predicting what this game will bring us. I expected to see a FE: 3 Houses character... but in FP2, Byleth in FP1 was a huge twist lol

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, a Pokken character is possible if it's something Nintendo really wanted to promote.

That being said, Pokken and Smash both have Pikachu, Mewtwo, Charizard, and Lucario. Not sure why they'd need a full-fledged character when they could just do a Spirit event.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Who would be Cynthia's three Pokemon? I know Garchomp would be one of them.
One is already in Smash :ultlucario:

Togekiss, Glaceon, Spiritomb, Roserade I can see as viable contenders along side Garchomp. Unless they merge Lucario as one of them like they did with Charizard. But that's happening for obvious reasons.

D

Deleted member

Man, doesn't take much to go on another Pokemon tangent. Does it?

That's why we need a Pokemon dedicated Smash game!
I was kinda hoping for that with Pokken, but it wasn't really what I was hoping for. I probably would have enjoyed it if it were a bit more like a normal Tekken and not have some weird mechanic forcing you to switch between different distance-based combat styles.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It almost feels like after Byleth's inclusion that people are already setting themselves up for the 8th gen Pokemon arrival now, if just to get the discussion and speculation out of the way early.

D

Deleted member

Yeah I fully expect Urshifu, Rillaboom, or Cinderace sometime this pass. There's been a shillmon in every game and a shill character in every DLC, so it just feels like they'll get both out of the way with this one. That's not to say it's a bad thing, but it seems like an inevitability. Leaning Urshifu just because it would have a stance change mechanic which Sakurai could go nuts with.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I was kinda hoping for that with Pokken, but it wasn't really what I was hoping for. I probably would have enjoyed it if it were a bit more like a normal Tekken and not have some weird mechanic forcing you to switch between different distance-based combat styles.
If it were one style or the other it would've been a really solid fighting game! But having to switch between the two was what ended up putting me off of the game in the end.

Don't make it different to be different, just hive us a Pokemon fighting game.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
A Pokemon Super Smash Bros style game?

Sign me the hell up !!!

I have been saying it for years, But I doubt I was the only one thinking about it too, But I definitely think that after Super Smash Bros Ultimate wraps up post DLC the series should take a break for a long time to reevaluate the future of the franchise and seeing how it was stated that 3rd Party's are all not likely to return again and it feel like some changes or somewhat of a reboot will happen after a long hiatus.

So how about Sakurai and the Smash team take a stab at a similar style game with a few different mechanics with the Pokemon franchise?

Yes I know we have Pokken Tournament and I do enjoy it, But I love Super Smash Bros faster play and game style than your traditional fighter and if they can have a roster that spans all 8 generations which has countless choices to choose from with different playstyles, abilities not to mention different stadiums and settings from different regions and battle music? There is so much to work with and pull from the Pokemon franchise for a really top quality fighting game.

I really hope this idea becomes a reality, Pokken was a great 1st step into this direction, But I can definitely see the hype behind this game.

"From the creator and team that brought you the Super Smash Bros series"

"Comes an all new fighting game where generations of Pokemon battle like you have never seen before"

Pokemon Battle Arena (Generic Title)

Well you get the idea, But man would that make for an freaking cool series after I have had my fill with Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Yeah I fully expect Urshifu, Rillaboom, or Cinderace sometime this pass. There's been a shillmon in every game and a shill character in every DLC, so it just feels like they'll get both out of the way with this one. That's not to say it's a bad thing, but it seems like an inevitability. Leaning Urshifu just because it would have a stance change mechanic which Sakurai could go nuts with.
I don't think it can change stance in Sword and Shield. You take Kubfuu to one of two towers, evolve it there, and then I don't think it can become the other one. That said, I wouldn't mind if they bent canon and allowed it to change stances anyway. Winning Neutral with Rapid-Strike Style and switching to Single-Strike Style for power and kills would be pretty rad.

Or maybe it'll just be like Cloud, where half the alts are one design, and the other half are the other design

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Can you imagine the uproar if the next Smash DLC isn't just a character from a recent game but from a ****ing recent DLC. Just feels scummy as **** for them to put a Pokemon from the DLC in.
Why would it even be scummy? It’s a smart marketing move for Nintendo & tpc

again that’s how logic & business works

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hello, what’s this?

Since when was the last time something was announced from things like these?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Hello, what’s this?

A Vol. 2 download code for the winner? I mean, I already bought Vol. 2, but that's still neat. Wonder if it means anything in regards to CP7...

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Hello, what’s this?

Bro, event tied to a game outside of Smash?
Pack it in everyone, Spring Man is coming as our next fighter. /s

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hello, what’s this?

What is UP YouTube, and now, more ARMS coming to Smash?!?!?!?!?!

Now, did you know that only 20% of my viewers are subscribed?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Personally, I think Urshifu being from a DLC bundle makes it less likely, not more likely.

Historically, the DLC content from games repped in Smash is usually barebones. None of the DLC from BotW or 3H was referenced. I don't think Splatoon 2 got anything more than an Octoling Spirit. The ARMS characters added after the base game got significantly less than the orginal 10 (11 counting Max Brass). MK8/MK8D had it better than most. They added two DLC tracks and a Link Spirit, but that was all.

I stand by my belief that the Pokemon would be from the base game.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hello, what’s this?

*ARMS tournament with smash ultimate fighter pass vol 2 prize yada yada*
The entirety of pass 2 is soley ARMS characters:

Min Min
Ninjara
Twintelle
Kid Cobra
Max Brass