• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I'm not really their renders should be that big of a deal, considering that changing them has no effect on their movesets.
Sorry for late reply. Just woke up.
I just meant that maybe their lame renders affects how we feel about how unique they are. I know in reality, their movesets might still be identical to another, like with Lucina or Chrom, but the human mind is both very biased and easy to manipulate. I’m sure if Byleth was in a much cooler pose rather than just standing there, that people might’ve seen the fighter as a more unique character.

The entirety of pass 2 is soley ARMS characters:

Min Min
Ninjara
Twintelle
Kid Cobra
Max Brass
Dr. Coyle

And still no Spring Man in sight
Dr Coyle is in so I’m happy

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Min Min
Ninjara
Twintelle
Kid Cobra
Max Brass
Dr. Coyle

Every stage in FP2 is a slightly different variation on Spring Stadium. If you play on Dr. Coyle's stage "Spring Stadium at lunch", there's a 12% chance that Spring Tron is managing the hot dog stand.

D

Deleted member

If it were one style or the other it would've been a really solid fighting game! But having to switch between the two was what ended up putting me off of the game in the end.

Don't make it different to be different, just hive us a Pokemon fighting game.
EXACTLY! If they had just made it once style, it would have been perfect! They would have seen a lot more of a player base than what there is now. Not saying people don't like it, but the fighting mechanics definitely turned away a lot of people.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
If the next fighter is s Pokemon. Is this a indicator that this pass will be all 1st party or at least most of it? Especially given Nintendo is choosing.
I think it’s gonna be 4:2 four 1st party series with two 3rd parties tops. It’s like the opposite of fp1

regardless of the small 3rd party ratio in the pass it will still sell. Besides ultimate is a money making machine

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Every stage in FP2 is a slightly different variation on Spring Stadium. If you play on Dr. Coyle's stage "Spring Stadium at lunch", there's a 12% chance that Spring Tron is managing the hot dog stand.
when Spring Tron becomes playable, Alfonso runs said hot dog stand

Alfonso: "Leave it to me!"

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
does anyone remember what it said for the maintenance of the 20th? did it say:
During the maintenance window, network services may be unavailable.
or:
During the maintenance window, all network services will be unavailable.
cause if it's the latter i'd say THAT'S what we have to look out for for direct tie ins. the one today only says the former, unless they shadow drop a mini before 2:30 PM EST

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Min Min
Ninjara
Twintelle
Kid Cobra
Max Brass
Dr. Coyle

The real Spring Man was the friends we made along the way.
Plot Twist: We actually do get Spring Man as a 7th Bonus Fighter outside the pass but it's the one from Mega Man.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That Springman has a little more versatility than the ARMs one; his torso is made of Springs instead of just limbs lol.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
does anyone remember what it said for the maintenance of the 20th? did it say:

or:

cause if it's the latter i'd say THAT'S what we have to look out for for direct tie ins. the one today only says the former, unless they shadow drop a mini before 2:30 PM EST
Interestingly, today's maintenance says the services may be unavailable, while next week's says all services will be unavailable. Given Tsubasa/Zell, who is apparently fairly credible, claims the direct will be August, it might happen there.
Might. There's still 28 days of August left after that, so...

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think it’s gonna be 4:2 four 1st party series with two 3rd parties tops. It’s like the opposite of fp1

regardless of the small 3rd party ratio in the pass it will still sell. Besides ultimate is a money making machine

Personally, I agree with you, except switch the ratios for me

I think it will still be majority 3rd party, though I don't think all the 3rd party characters would be completely new. In any case, It is what it is

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think it'll be the perfect balance: 3 first party and 3 third party. The third parties will be also slightly "lower profile" with Crash as the only possible exception.

Less of the likes of 2B, Doomguy, Master Chief, and Lloyd, and more of the likes of Neku, Arle, Rayman, maybe a total left fielder like KOS-MOS or a LoL character?

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
switch the ratios for me
I’m not. I finally see it more realistic than a pass full of just 3rd parties since my last pass predictions were all just 3rd parties & 0 1st

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Welp, here's my current predictions. I'm expecting a 50-50 split between third-parties and first-parties.
  1. Min Min-Actually happened, we know this already, moving on
  2. Isaac-A very popular request (When he seems to have a chance, at least) who may have a new game on the horizon. At the very least, I think he could be like Banjo or K. Rool, being an old character with lost of popularity. Best-case scenario, he's a Ridley who had all that and a recent appearance. Plus, with his Western popularity, he seems like a good choice for an E3 reveal.
  3. Reimu Hakurei-Personally, I think Reimu's pretty likely. We've gotten a fair bit of indie content but haven't gotten an actual indie fighter. With Touhou's legacy, immense popularity in Japan, and a recent push towards Western players, Reimu's my first pick for an indie fighter. It helps that ZUN, the guy who makes Touhou, is really lax with his IP. I'd also like to point out that it's not Japan-exclusive, which seems to be a bit of a misconception; Twelve games are on Steam, and while only one is officially translated, that's only because fans will make their own a couple days after release, so an official translation is unnecessary.
  4. Square Enix rep (2B or Neku?)-I think we might be getting another Square Enix rep, given that it's gotten two Spirit Events so far. This might change if another company gains that status. As for who, my first guesses are 2B or Neku, but I think that's more because they're discussed more often in my circles. Lara Croft or a Bravely rep could easily happen as well. I doubt it'd be Geno, though.
  5. Lloyd Irving-Tales is a big series, and Lloyd was a pretty major request back in the day. Plus, we haven't gotten a new fighter from Bandai-Namco yet, which is especially surprising since they're making SSBU. Then again, they might be satisfied with Pac-Man representing the whole company. As for the Tales rep, I've heard Yuri tossed around due to his very high popularity, but I don't know much about the series so I'm not qualified to say.
  6. Rex-Rex was mentioned alongside an ARMS rep as someone Sakurai would've added if they had released sooner. We now have an ARMS rep. I know Nintendo's choosing and not Sakurai, but XC2 did pretty well and a new Xenoblade title has released recently. I could see Rex as someone Nintendo would pick. Sure, it's no longer the most recent, but it's still a Xenoblade rep, and they could still push both XCDE and XC2 with that.
  7. BONUS FIGHTER-Waluigi?-I'm iffy on if we actually will get a bonus fighter, but if we do, Waluigi's on the top of my list. He's popular, he's a recurring member of the Mario cast, but he doesn't have much content he could bring with him, since general Mario is represented beyond belief. If he was a bonus character, that problem would disappear. Therefore, bonus fighter seems like Waluigi's best bet.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Also a Theory i just wanted to share.

FP2 has more Characters than FP1. Personally when talking season passes this is actually pretty rare to happen. Usually if a Sequel Pass has more characters than the previous Pass, it probably means that There's more assets being re-used, that are the content before the pass was supposed to be base game

Of course This Pass is stated to take longer anyway, but it's still something to consider that they are managing to squeeze out more characters than the first Pass. I'm also not considering Plant into the equation, and even if we did, Plant did not come with the extra stuff that these Fighter Pass characters would include

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Bro now you sound like a Geno fan
Frick you're right. Probably should've worded that a bit better. I'll go back and rephrase that.
I do think Reimu's pretty likely, but she is a bit of a darkhorse. I'm expecting her on the basis that I'm expecting an indie fighter, and I believe Reimu's the most likely indie fighter due to Touhou's popularity and legacy in Japan. Still, she does have a fair bit standing in her way.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's still too early to say what this pass will consist of, but I think the next two fighters will be very telling.

In general, most of the best reveals have been shown off closer to the beginning. That means big names and characters so painfully obvious that it'd be pointless trying to hide them. Min Min wasn't exactly a mind-blowing reveal like Joker was, so if the next two characters bring about as much excitement as her, then I'd say there's a decent chance the last three will be somewhat small or blatantly promotional like Corrin or Byleth.

Now if the next two characters are really big, then there's a better chance that the remaining three will be somewhat notable. That doesn't mean "Corrin/Byleth" characters are off the table, but at least the bar would be a lot higher than the alternate scenario.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's still too early to say what this pass will consist of, but I think the next two fighters will be very telling.

In general, most of the best reveals have been shown off closer to the beginning. That means big names and characters so painfully obvious that it'd be pointless trying to hide them. Min Min wasn't exactly a mind-blowing reveal like Joker was, so if the next two characters bring about as much excitement as her, then I'd say there's a decent chance the last three will be somewhat small or blatantly promotional like Corrin or Byleth.

Now if the next two characters are really big, then there's a better chance that the remaining three will be somewhat notable. That doesn't mean "Corrin/Byleth" characters are off the table, but at least the bar would be a lot higher than the alternate scenario.
Personally, I think we'll get two third-parties and two first-parties by default, and the first two characters could be whatever. That way, we'll have a good idea of the pass' focus based on that. I may alter it if we end up with a dual reveal with one first-party and one third-party, since we may be far enough along for that, but if that happens I'm expecting CP8 to be a Terry-type reveal without any gameplay.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Also, I think it is just weird if they started the Pass with Min-Min, if the other 5 characters are hypothetically more notable than her. I guess there are theories to that

1.Perhaps they wanted to get the Nintendo characters out the way. It's been speculation that the Dev team likely develops 3 characters at a time, so since the Dev team was already working on Nintendo's Court with Byleth in FP5, they could have also been developing Min-Min along with her, and if she's ready, they just put her out

2. While the other 5 characters are notable, perhaps at the same time they are more controversial. Min-Min is not the most exciting addition, but there really isn't hate towards her or nothing. Perhaps characters like Reimu, LOL Rep, Any Popular Assist Character (Waluigi, Shadow, Isaac, Bomberman, etc), or even Geno, while popular and notable, might also be more controvirsial as a pick because those characters, while they might get alot of love, might also get alot of hate.

3.There's somehow more less exciting additions than Min-Min (not to diss Min-Min). the only realistic Option i could see is a Pokemon. Characters like a BOTW2 Rep, Sylux, Another FE Character, Ninjala, Fortnite (even though it's really big game), etc I don't think really have a shot.

4.There Probably are more Nintendo characters in this pass

5.There Probably are more NPC Promoted characters in this pass

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Min Min's cool and all, but she isn't pass-starter material. Since she was delayed because of development time, I think Nintendo's intent was to drum up ARMS hype for a while, then profit from it by revealing Min Min at E3, alongside a major heavy-hitter to get people on board. Then COVID kicked in and E3 was cancelled, and so Min Min had to kickstart the pass on her own.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think within our next 3 FPs we’ll see our Hero and/or Banjo equivalent(s) that’ll really drive sales

why did I almost type salsa

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
I think it'll be the perfect balance: 3 first party and 3 third party. The third parties will be also slightly "lower profile" with Crash as the only possible exception.

Less of the likes of 2B, Doomguy, Master Chief, and Lloyd, and more of the likes of Neku, Arle, Rayman, maybe a total left fielder like KOS-MOS or a LoL character?
I don't think they'd be "low profile" necessarily, just easier to acquire a license for. Keep in mind they'd still have to be characters that would drive sales, because what's the point in paying royalties for a character that's gonna bring more attention to their own game than Smash itself?

I think Namco and Capcom would be the easiest to work with, with Namco already working on the game and Capcom lending out their characters to everything from Hello Kitty to a Family Guy flash game. With that in mind I'd say Tales, DMC and Monster Hunter feel like the frontrunners, but they could go with something different altogether.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Personally, I think we'll get two third-parties and two first-parties by default, and the first two characters could be whatever. That way, we'll have a good idea of the pass' focus based on that. I may alter it if we end up with a dual reveal with one first-party and one third-party, since we may be far enough along for that, but if that happens I'm expecting CP8 to be a Terry-type reveal without any gameplay.
I don't feel like we have enough to go off of for predicting the ratio of third and first-parties.

Min Min alone doesn't set a tone for the entire pass, and I don't believe that she's the best this pass has to offer. At the same time, I do think some people should be more cautious. I'm surprised by how many people can comfortably assume that the pass will only have one more first-party or no more after Min Min.

Prior to the ARMS reveal, many were confident in a nearly full third-party pass. A lot of people in this thread thought F6 would be some big-shot third-party who would launch the pass with a great start, and ARMS wasn't even considered to be a serious contender. Anything could happen, and people should be prepared for better or worse.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
I don't feel like we have enough to go off of for predicting the ratio of third and first-parties.

Min Min alone doesn't set a tone for the entire pass, and I don't believe that she's the best this pass has to offer. At the same time, I do think some people should be more cautious. I'm surprised by how many people can comfortably assume that the pass will only have one more first-party or no more after Min Min.

Prior to the ARMS reveal, many were confident in a nearly full third-party pass. A lot of people in this thread thought F6 would be some big-shot third-party who would launch the pass with a great start, and ARMS wasn't even considered to be a serious contender. Anything could happen, and people should be prepared for better or worse.
I’m prepared for urshifu to take up cp11

why cp11?

we don’t end on a high note:ultincineroar::ultbyleth:
He’s gonna act like this fighters pass byleth

SKX31

Smash Master
Hello, what’s this?

Hey, good to see Nintendo putting more into ARMS again and show that the March 2020 Online Open wasn't just an one-time thing. I stand by my opinion that it was incredibly strange to see them do nothing with it from mid-2018 to March.

Min Min's cool and all, but she isn't pass-starter material. Since she was delayed because of development time, I think Nintendo's intent was to drum up ARMS hype for a while, then profit from it by revealing Min Min at E3, alongside a major heavy-hitter to get people on board. Then COVID kicked in and E3 was cancelled, and so Min Min had to kickstart the pass on her own.
That sounds like a decent hypothesis. It does make the above point relevant: If Nintendo lost faith in holding official ARMS tournaments and supporting it post-Coyle, then it kind of implies that Nintendo took a step back, re-evaulated where the game was (despite strong initial sales) and decided to go with Smash and hope it would help re-invigorate ARMS in turn.

It seems to be working, TBF.

A game doesn't need to pull in huge Twitch numbers or anything (Splatoon proves that, and Nintendo's been much more consistent with holding official tournaments). EDIT: I just wish Nintendo would be a bit more consistent with supporting a game longer-term.

I think within our next 3 FPs we’ll see our Hero and/or Banjo equivalent(s) that’ll really drive sales

why did I almost type salsa
Because we're about to get some bad hombres in Smash:

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I don't know why people are really on the Urishfu Train so hard. If you like him that's fine, but i think alot of people are taking the "Nintendo always Promoting" thing too far with him.

The only character added for the sake of Promotion was Byleth (as Nintendo wanted a character that People wold be Playing now). Plus wouldn't Urishfu be old news by then, there is another DLC Pack for Pokemon so shouldn't that hypothetical pokemon be added in over Urishfu for Promotion

Not to say we won't be Getting a Gen 8 Pokemon (even though i don't think we will), but I mean, there's more to this

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I’m prepared for urshifu to take up cp11

why cp11?

we don’t end on a high note:ultincineroar::ultbyleth:
He’s gonna act like this fighters pass byleth
It could be a SwSh Pokemon, but if their goal is to add someone really new like Corrin and Byleth were at the time they were added, I feel like it would be a character from something closer to 2021. Maybe something like BotW2 or whatever else is coming out next year.

I feel like the ideal time for a Pokemon would be the middle of the pass. Have it come after the bigger character(s) at the front, and not toward the back in case the shiny new promotional character isn't liked. Then again, Min Min was our first character and possibly our only intended reveal for E3 2020, so who knows what order they have planned for the characters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't think they'd be "low profile" necessarily, just easier to acquire a license for. Keep in mind they'd still have to be characters that would drive sales, because what's the point in paying royalties for a character that's gonna bring more attention to their own game than Smash itself?

I think Namco and Capcom would be the easiest to work with, with Namco already working on the game and Capcom lending out their characters to everything from Hello Kitty to a Family Guy flash game. With that in mind I'd say Tales, DMC and Monster Hunter feel like the frontrunners, but they could go with something different altogether.
>Capcom lending their characters to a hello kitty flash game

hold up WHAT

I knew about the Family Guy thing but

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom