• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I would argue that because the Ridley, K. Rool, and Geno fanbase were so vocal and passionate, they became a bigger target of ridicule than any other fanbase. As a Ridley supporter back in the day I understand how much you get mocked for standing by a character people think are impossible. That being said, everyone needs to take it easy. It's a video game for petes sake.
Yeah, be like the Layton fanbase and be dead because no one talks about the dead

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If the next fighter is s Pokemon. Is this a indicator that this pass will be all 1st party or at least most of it? Especially given Nintendo is choosing.
Nintendo chose the DLC for the first pass and 4/5 characters were 3rd party. I don't think that it's a reliable indicator.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Nintendo chose the DLC for the first pass and 4/5 characters were 3rd party. I don't think that it's a reliable indicator.
By the same token though, the first fighter(s) revealed for FP1 were third parties, and could be viewed as an indicator of what was coming up, since 4/5 were third party.

Regardless, whether the next character is third or first party, I think FP2 will be more balanced. Probably looking at a 3-3 or 4-2 (first party favored) split. In my opinion at least.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that this guarantees a Pokemon newcomer because I don't know if Sakurai would pass over Sword and Shield in favor of Pokken Tournament DX.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sirfetch'd and, to a lesser extent, Rillaboom are like, the only viable contenders for Galar that interest me in the slightest.

Because you know we're not getting the better stuff like Copperajah, Falinks, or Grapploct.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
If the next fighter is s Pokemon. Is this a indicator that this pass will be all 1st party or at least most of it? Especially given Nintendo is choosing.
No, the first Pass did so well that Nintendo specifically mentioned it as a highlight in one of their Investor/Financial meetings. I’m going to assume they’re smart enough to see that it was because of the big 3rd party names in that pass.

I do think it’s likely that we get a 3:3 or 4:2 split when it comes to Nintendo characters though. But atleast one, maybe two, of the third parties we get will be a BIG name. Someone along the lines of Ryu, Cloud & Hero.

My current theory is two more Nintendo characters, two big third parties (One appealing to the West, one appealing to Japan) & a smaller third party that would probably have strong ties to Nintendo (Bravely Default, Travis Touchdown, SMT, etc...). Maybe a 4th Nintendo character in place of the smaller third party.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Its kinda sad how people reach for stuff likenthis. Oh, pokemon has a free trial, that means they are next for smash! Jesus christ shut the hell up! Stop making your own fan rules and dumb theories haha

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
What does that have to do with anything? :4pacman:

Bro he said Pocket PArson. And according to the dictionary, that's a member of the Catholic Church.
Precisely! You know! Pocket Parsons, also known as Parsonmon! Not to be confused with it's sister series, Animal Parsons! :3

Look, see?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Precisely! You know! Pocket Parsons, also known as Parsonmon! Not to be confused with it's sister series, Animal Parsons! :3
Ah, now I can finally pay my debt off to the Pope. In totally legal ways, I hope.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Look, see?

This is truely a beautiful sight

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm actually curious, how would Meowth fans feel about Perrserker being added to Smash.

I mean a Viking Cat with Wolverine claws would be dope not gonna lie.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So I don't know if this has been brought up, but while I was browsing the Geno thread in case they found a viable leak (they can't be talking about Geno ALL the time, can they?), I saw someone post this:

A clarification in regards to August 6th. Earlier today a fellow member clarified that on said date there isn't an actual investors meeting. On that day Nintendo will simply release their quarterly earnings release schedule for Fiscal Year 2021. Looking into previous earnings release schedules, its release might actually bode well for Nintendo IP news prior to that date (which would be during the first few days of August). Within said earnings release schedules, on the Consolidated Financial Forecast section they usually mention upcoming titles (mainly their IPs) that will be driving sales. In their Consolidated Results for Years 2019 and 2020 (comparative) report, on section 3. Outlook for the Fiscal Year Ending March 31, 2021, the titles (IP) that would be driving the coming months (noting that this report was published on May 7th 2020, and the Fiscal Year 2021 began on April 1st, 2020) would be Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition in the month of May, Clubhouse Games in June, and the Pokemon Sword and Shield Isle of Armor expansion afterward, with the Crown Tundra expansion coming in Fall. True that there were no new first party games announced there, but that's the section that typically lays out what games will be driving sales in the following months. This time around, they should delve on which games will be their hits for the months of August, September, October, and perhaps even go into mentioning what Holiday titles they may have in store. Last but definitely not least, I feel this is where they should mention any detail in regards to Super Mario's 35th Anniversary which is coming up soon (September 13th). Besides games, and as PapaGenos discussed in his latest video, there's a number of Super Mario-themed merch releasing on August 1st. Again, we'll have to wait and see. :ohwell:
If you're one of those people who supports the "Nintendo Direct Before Investors" theory, this may help your case.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm betting on an even split between third and first parties. We already have Min Min and a Corrin/Byleth-style post-release promotional pick seems inevitable, so that's two first parties right there. Likewise, I could see a popular first party character also being thrown in, just as a name that will get a lot of eyes while avoiding a heavy licensing cost (perhaps with promoting another early Switch game like Min Min as an additional factor).

In terms of third parties, I think we're going to see the same archetypes we previously saw in Fighter's Pass 1. I'm thinking we'll get a big name third party like Cloud or Hero, a somewhat obscure third party with a lot of fan demand and strong ties to Nintendo like Banjo and Bayonetta, and a classic icon who's still kind of around today like Terry and Simon.

Filling out each of those archetypes, my guesses for Fighter's Pass 2's lineup are BotW Zelda as the Byleth, Crash Bandicoot as the big third party, Bandana Waddle Dee as the fan favourite first party, Geno as the fan favourite third party, and Ryu Hayabusa as the sort of retro third party.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
good lord we're just drowning in large images this page huh

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Considering Pokken...y'know what Pokemon is apart of the roster who is suspiciously no longer a Pokemon summon in Smash?

ITS TIME BOIS AND GORLS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom