• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm assuming you mean the Earthbound Beginnings version here - between Giygas being the background, having attacks that are incomprehensible, and becoming impossible to hit as time goes on, I can't see the more famous version working well as a playable character.
Simple. He just stores his attacks for later and only sends them out once you meet certain, very specific situations; For example, he only does his up tilt when your opponent is exactly ten feet above you, has just done a forward air, and is about to do an air dodge. To add to the effect, there are multiple attacks stored from a single input, chosen randomly. This way, nobody has any idea what will happen next.
You thought this was a moveset for Giygas, but really it was for me, Koishi!

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!

"OMG IT'S JUST MEWTWO 2.0, WHAT IS WITH SAKURAI ADDING CLONE CHARACTERS." I hear that a lot. The irony is that Giygas from Mother 1 had existed for almost a decade by the time Mewtwo was created.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

"OMG IT'S JUST MEWTWO 2.0, WHAT IS WITH SAKURAI ADDING CLONE CHARACTERS." I hear that a lot. The irony is that Giygas from Mother 1 has existed for almost a decade by the time Mewtwo was created.
I can't even see the Mewtwo resemblance though, Giygas has the body of a ****ing noodle.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
My safe bet: Crash
My risky bet: Octoling (I find the fact they’re giving Splatoon 2 a sudden promotion push just a tad fishy)
My dream of dreams: Elma
For me:

Safe bet: I don't think there are any truly safe bets. I just don't think we know enough. Having said that I think the closest we can get to a safe bet right now is a Gen 8 Pokemon.

Risky bet: Isaac. Risky, but not as impossible as many think imo.

Dream of dreams: Farmer Pete. I once thought this was decently likely due to certain circumstances pre-Byleth. I no longer think that to be the case, but my desire has not waned. Let me play as Farmer Pete Nintendo! You know you want to!

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Safe bets: Arle, Ryu, Cinderace
Semi safe: Travis, Dark Souls rep
Dark horses: Captain Toad, Klonoa, anyone from Disgaea and Granblue

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Here's my spicy hot bet for this pass. I bet we'll get at least one face of a different platform, whether it's Master Chief, Kratos, or Gordon Freeman. Smash has reached a state where it can't punch up anymore until it adds someone like one of these three.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I mean, Mother's content in Smash is already one of the most absolutely wild things ever. Two playable unique fighters, four completely distinct and unique stages, full 3D models of additional party members in Final Smashes, several items, several Spirits, and a lot of music. Plus Brawl even had a Porky Boss fight. All for a series that only has three games, only one of which ever made it to the US originally in a failed marketing campaign, none of which made it to Europe originally, only to finally get a couple re-releases in the 2010s, but only for the much less beloved first game to finally get an official release instead of the beloved third game. It's also a series that is officially over and the creator has zero desire to return to, so Nintendo can't really do anything else with it outside of remakes/re-releases.

I'm not saying it has too much content, but I do want people to seriously think about how incredibly unlikely of a reality that is. Much more successful franchises with more releases and their own considerable impact don't have playable fighters from Nintendo, but this incredibly unlikely franchise currently has way more content than series like Xenoblade and Punch-Out. You could always add more content, but I think it's pretty undeniable that Mother fans are eating extremely good in Smash and always have in general.

TheBeastHimself

I mean, Mother's content in Smash is already one of the most absolutely wild things ever. Two playable unique fighters, four completely distinct and unique stages, full 3D models of additional party members in Final Smashes, several items, several Spirits, and a lot of music. Plus Brawl even had a Porky Boss fight. All for a series that only has three games, only one of which ever made it to the US originally in a failed marketing campaign, none of which made it to Europe originally, only to finally get a couple re-releases in the 2010s, but only for the much less beloved first game to finally get an official release instead of the beloved third game. It's also a series that is officially over and the creator has zero desire to return to, so Nintendo can't really do anything else with it outside of remakes/re-releases.

I'm not saying it has too much content, but I do want people to seriously think about how incredibly unlikely of a reality that is. Much more successful franchises with more releases and their own considerable impact don't have playable fighters from Nintendo, but this incredibly unlikely franchise currently has way more content than series like Xenoblade and Punch-Out. You could always add more content, but I think it's pretty undeniable that Mother fans are eating extremely good in Smash and always have in general.
I'm the one that brought Mother up as a sort of "what if," if something ever happened. I'm more than satisfised with the love Nintendo gives it, and I truly do not believe it deserves anything else in terms of new content. I'm just very grateful Nintendo decided to spare the series a cold and forgotten death.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
No one was saying anything, Mother was brought up in a hypothetical.
It was just a way to start the post lol and qualifying that the post wasn't a "franchise has too much content and is therefore bad" when I was bringing up it absolutely being the luckiest series outside of maybe Ice Climbers to get such a notable amount of content in Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Mans always calling out Goku specifically first. Ain't calling out the Sponge, the Shrek, the Luffy, always tryna murder Goku in cold blood. :239:
i wonder whatever became of that Miiverse dude who raved about the Powerpuff Girls in Smash lul

TheBeastHimself

It was just a way to start the post lol and qualifying that the post wasn't a "franchise has too much content and is therefore bad" when I was bringing up it absolutely being the luckiest series outside of maybe Ice Climbers to get such a notable amount of content in Smash.
And this I completely agree with. In fact, I should've gave a longer response to your original post, but I already delved in pretty deeply on my views of the future of the franchise. After being in the Mother fanbase for so long, I'm starting to look at it kinda negatively myself (no disrespect towards anyone in particular.) It's just that, Nintendo has already given so much love to a series that Itoi wishes to be over, but there are some rabid Mother fans who will always claim that isn't enough and continues to beg in vain for future content. We have more than enough Mother content, the constant begging just makes us Mother fans look selfish and entitled. I mean, I can get around the whole "bring Mother 3 internationally" for the sake of having all three games available to play officially, but in the long run that isn't a big deal. However, it's a lot more reasonable than the constant begging for Mother 4/HD ports.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What Newcomers should not be in Smash Ultimate as DLC and Why should they not?
Pikachu because too many gen 1 Pokemon. Link because too many swordfighters. Ness because he's too obscure. Captain Falcon because he has no moveset potential.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Wanted to ask a quick question because I don't see this being discussed too often:

Would anyone be pissed if a Mother/EarthBound character was apart of the 2nd Fighter's Pass?

I know there's pretty much not a shot that would happen, but I'm kind of curious to gauge how the fanbase would react. The series had some pretty remarkable anniversaries last year; the franchise as a whole turned 30, and Mother 2 turned 25 (Mother 3 will be 15 next year).

Either way, I'm content with the amount of content the franchise has. Sakurai went above and beyond to acknowledge the series over the years, when it would've likely faded into obscurity like many other JRPG franchises. It's cool to see he has such an admiration for Mother!

WAIT WE’RE ACTUALLY GETTING MOTHER TALK IN HERE?!?!?!

I’d love another rep, despite the low odds of it happening. If it’s another PSI user (like Ninten), they’d need to come up with a unique moveset that differs from Ness and Lucas so people don’t complain. Characters like Porky though, that’d be pretty fun and very different from Ness and Lucas.

That being said, I’ll agree with others by saying Mother/EarthBound does have quite a bit in Smash already. I’m content with what we have. If we were to get something more, I think it would need to coincide with something to do with the series outside of Smash also. Rereleases or something along those lines, which doesn’t exactly look like that’s gonna happen anytime soon...

Then again, that doesn’t always happen with Smash reveals, all it takes is Nintendo/Sakurai saying “X character is in Smash.” They don’t really need a reason.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
As in, hypothetically. I suppose you could also make him take moves from both Ness and Lucas, too.
While Lucas has already some elements of a wall-out playstyle, I do believe that a more defensive "Wall-esque" worth exploring further in a hypotheoretical Ninten. Lucas is much more of an all-rounder (with a dangerous edge guarding game) - contrasted by the combo / grab-focused Ness. So there's still room - to give an example of how three similar-looking characters can wind up different: the more technical Fox / grab and aerial-focused Falco / all-around brawler or "swordfighter" Wolf.

What I'm a little worried about is if a Wall-esque character has PK Fire (due to how annoying it can get when one is vs. a spammer), but that's not an insurmountable issue. (I was sceptical to Ninten at first, but since warmed to the idea.)

CureParfait

Smash Ace
My risky bet: Octoling (I find the fact they’re giving Splatoon 2 a sudden promotion push just a tad fishy)
Safe bet- Pokemon/ Reimu
Risky bet- Monokuma/ Dante
My dream of dreams- Maple Story rep, Dungeon Fighter rep

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm gonna do it too.

Safe bet: 8 gen Pokémon, Crash Bandicoot, Travis Touchdown
Risky bet: Dante, Rex & Pyra, Geno
Dark horses: Reimu, Isaac, Sol Badguy

TangyKeys

Smash Cadet
Safe bet: Geno, Crash, Rayman, Lloyd
Risky bet: Sora, Master Chief
My dream: Bomberman, Tails, Any Valve rep, Masahiro Sakurai himself.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Safe bets: Rex, Travis Touchdown, Ryu Hayabusa
Risky bets: Sora, a League of Legends rep, Dante
Dark horses: Reimu, Estelle Bright, a Valve rep, a Blizzard rep, a Disgaea rep, Professor Layton

Keep in mind, these are mostly based on what I think is plausible rather than what I want.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm not sure if Travis is a safe bet anymore considering the whole state of the world and his game probably not coming out this year lol.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Safe Bet: Crash Bandicoot
Risky Bet: Elma
Dream of dreams: Midna, Tifa

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Eeeh, I still think he's a big enough choice to make it even if his new game is delayed. But that's fair, I suppose.
You make sense, because I forgot Nintendo chose this **** before the pandemic was an issue lmao.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if Travis is a safe bet anymore considering the whole state of the world and his game probably not coming out this year lol.
Given the info we're privy to, the second fighters pass was likely set in stone before the end of 2019. If Nintendo wanted to push NMH3 and cross-promote with Travis in smash (or, just include him on his own merrits ig) a delay for NMH3 now wouldn't impact his inclusion.

Edit: ::ultgreninja:'ed

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
There's actually one way to know if Travis is in or not. Someone should ask Suda and he'll spell the beans like usual, he said the truth on Travis not being in Smash many times before so he won't have trouble saying it again.

HOWEVER, if he gives a vague answer then it means Travis is in. It's a brilliant foolproof tactic :bowsette:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom