• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
What about Peppy, with a Barrel Roll Side-B (just to name one)?
Because at that point, that'd just be adding a character for adding a character's sake. Peppy's fan demand begins and ends at the "Barrel Roll" voiceclip.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I'd throw in Master Chief and maybe even Dante on the top dogs. These two are among the heavily requested and on the likelyhood specter of being part of the pass. Will they? No one knows, but they both have factors that allow people to think they are likely candidates. Plus they would both be huge additions to the roster, especially if it's Chief.
Master Chief & Dante are my two most wanted characters but I don’t think they’re on the level of the others I listed, atleast among the Smash fanbase. They both have to fight against the people who think Smash should only be for characters who’ve appeared on Nintendo consoles. Chief not appearing on one yet (besides Minecraft) & Dante only recently appearing.

I do agree that they’re rising stars amongst the community & that they’d be huge additions though. I also think they have a decent amount going for them actually getting in, but that might just be bias lol

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I wonder if Nintendo foresaw a games drought and planned Fighter's Pass 2 around it. Like agreeing to promote a game in return for it being ready for a dry period. Seems like they're gonna be leaning on third parties pretty heavily for the rest of the year with their Mini Partner Directs so it'd make sense.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Because at that point, that'd just be adding a character for adding a character's sake. Peppy's fan demand begins and ends at the "Barrel Roll" voiceclip.
Excuse me!? "They're on me, I'm gettin' careless!" and "Trust your instincts" get no respect...

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
People still sleeping on Steve it seems...

Minecraft left a huge impact on gaming. Given the crossplay and great friendship between Nintendo and Microsoft I find Steve to be one of the more likely Western reps.

He also be a fun and creative character as Sakurai would put it.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
and was the only cut Brawl newcomer brought back.
And in Lucas' case, I think being easier to make helped him become DLC. His model could be edited from Ness, his specials were already programmed into the game as Ness customs, and he lost some minor animation differences from Ness while being remade.
the only feasible option was Krystal, who unfortunately became an AT.
I actually think the real obstacle for Krystal being playable right now is Nintendo's reluctance to acknowledge post-64 Star Fox.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I wonder if Nintendo foresaw a games drought and planned Fighter's Pass 2 around it. Like agreeing to promote a game in return for it being ready for a dry period. Seems like they're gonna be leaning on third parties pretty heavily for the rest of the year with their Mini Partner Directs so it'd make sense.
That'd be pretty cool.

Which is why it can't be true.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Krystal was considered for Brawl. The reason she didn't make the cut was because Wolf was a more requested character and he had a model that was easier to base off of Fox as a semi-clone. Even then Wolf almost didn't make the cut given no involvement alongside Toon Link and Jigglypuff in the SSE.

Why Wolf was cut from Sm4sh or made DLC remains unknown.

Last edited:

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
Why Wolf was cut from Sm4sh remains unknown.
Pretty sure he was just a low priority. They can't add everything they want to, just like Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, and Roy in Brawl. If Smash 4's DLC run didn't get cut short by the Switch he probably would've been added back in.

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
I finally decided to make what I want for the rest of fighter pass 2. Feel free to give ur opinions on it.
CDEC3C68-8B29-4C31-BC33-D979C4B5F067.png

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Yeah, I ain't counting out Steve. Minecraft is still stupid big and Steve has tons of moveset potential, I could easily still see it happen. Personally, I'm really rooting for him: He's still easily in my top 10 most wanted. Worst case scenario, I definitely see at least a Mii costume.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I finally decided to make what I want for the rest of fighter pass 2. Feel free to give ur opinions on it.View attachment 280161View attachment 280161View attachment 280161
I have nothing positive to say about Geno and Waluigi.
Crazy Dave is a... unique choice. I can see his moveset being interesting but I'm not crazy about the character.
Doomguy: Isabelle's bff, hell yeah!
Steve would be great. Minecraft is huge, he has a lot of abilities to draw from, his stage is self-explanatory and he would make a lot of old fans mad.

I give it a solid 3/6

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Personally I feel like on the off chance we get a new Mario character it will be Geno Or Waluigi I do not believe we will get both (At least as of now). I just cannot see a full challenger pack for Waluigi happening.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why Wolf was cut from Sm4sh or made DLC remains unknown.
Lower priority due to Star Fox getting no new games soon, same reason Lucas was cut. Keeping in mind that Sakurai has been willing to cut Mother characters more than once, the fact the series is finished isn't helping either. It wasn't even finished during Melee and he was already getting ready to replace Ness with the Mother 64 protagonist, and almost did it again during Brawl, but the lack of Mother 3's English release made him change his mind on how to do things. It's pretty safe to say that Ness being a veteran from Smash 64 started to give him a bit leeway in who is "more important to keep" for Sakurai by the time of 4. Who knows how he feels on other ones. Like maybe Jigglypuff is simply higher priority for him to keep than some Pokemon in general. Or it's cause it's very easy to remake the puffball. Pokemon Trainer is one thing, who got mostly cut due to the 3DS, but Brawl not having Mewtwo is another story. I'll explain why Mewtwo made sense as Smash DLC down below(also, he was someone Sakurai knew was impossible for base for the same reason).

Lucas actually was one of the most popular Brawl veterans to come back. Veterans are generally immensely popular. Worth noting that Roy was the Melee veteran, while Mewtwo was "most popular veteran, period". That's why we don't have two Brawl vets, despite it being fairly easy to remake Wolf, since the data was entirely there anyway from Brawl(Mewtwo had no usable data, since it only existed in Melee beyond a few tiny things that were done in Brawl), because there was not "two Melee vets" for how he was doing things. One fan favorite veteran for all time, one Melee vet, one Brawl vet, and 4 newcomers, each having their own unique thing to bring to the table.

Wolf's other core thing is that Star Fox Zero kept getting delayed as well, which did not help making it easier for him to return. Since they could easily promote Zero a bit, since it's an upcoming game he's in at the time(him not having an upcoming game soon enough is part of why he got cut after all). Star Fox was continuing to get games, while Mother is finished, which puts them in different situations overall. So despite a similar reason for the cuts, they have very different reasons for justifying getting new or returning characters. Come Ultimate and there's no newcomers from either series, as no new game, though you can partially blame that on Zero having no actual unique newcomer options. If Krystal was in, she might've been given more consideration. She may have been considered for Ultimate, but her fate in the series is too unknown, so she'd be lower priority than characters who are far more likely to return, I.E. Isabelle. And other obviously were massively requested from the ballot, regardless of getting a new game they're actually in or not(both Belmonts, King K. Rool, Dark Samus, Chrom. It was obvious Ridley was going to continue to get used, and he's been in constant use anyway. Chrom might be somewhat debatable, due to the cameos that constantly come up. Daisy is definitely going to show up in more Mario games, so. But she also wasn't noted as a "highly requested character", so whether she actually got in due to the ballot is hard to say. Dark Samus and Chrom were noted for massive requests, so can be implied were being noted as ballot characters too).

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Pretty sure Snake being cut was just Konami being pricks not willing to play ball

Right? As evidenced by Kojima’s interview saying “he doesn’t look likely” back then

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
With all these leaks going on, you think we'll finally find out the identity of pra_mai?

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I'm not sure I understand this comparison.

Corrin and Byleth were both the most recent FE main characters at the time of their inclusion.

Elma wouldn't be the most recent at all, while Rex would be from the most recent non remake game.
Byleth also didn't exist when Corrin was added, which makes his comparison even more confusing

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
With all these leaks going on, you think we'll finally find out the identity of pra_mai?
Theirs whispers that the hacker got stuff all the way up to wii era

The lawsuit mentioned it was 2TB of confidential stuff he stole from nintendo so maybe

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I finally decided to make what I want for the rest of fighter pass 2. Feel free to give ur opinions on it.View attachment 280164
Geno, I don't think is happening. Too much against him; Competition with Mario reps, competition with Squeenix reps, lack of modern relevance, lack of overall relevance, etc. The only thing he has going for him is his popularity; If it weren't for that, he wouldn't even be considered by either fans or Nintendo.
Waluigi is a bit more likely due to being a recurring member of the Mario cast, but he doesn't really have a game to tie himself down to, and that's especially problematic because Mario is as represented as you can get. If he's a Piranha Plant-esque bonus, I'd be a lot more confident in his chances, but right now I don't see him happening.
Crazy Dave would be great. I've got fond memories of PvZ. Normally, I'd say EA would be likely to cooperate with Nintendo, but then I remembered they're porting a handful of titles to the Switch. Crazy Dave might actually have a shot, though he's a bit of a darkhorse.
Doomguy's in a good spot, though jury's still out on if that interview was under NDA or not. I'd be pretty happy with Doomguy, though.
Minecraft is iconic now, and Steve? has a good chance from that. There's competition with Master Chief, though; That argument mostly boils down to multiplatform icon vs. Microsoft icon. I don't think he'd have competition from indie reps, since he's become a Microsoft property more than anything nowadays.
I'd also like to note that we are most likely not going to get two Mario characters in the same pass, no matter how popular they are.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
From what I heard it was possibly a Plusle and Minun tag team...not sure how accurate it is however.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Geno, I don't think is happening. Too much against him; Competition with Mario reps, competition with Squeenix reps, lack of modern relevance, lack of overall relevance, etc. The only thing he has going for him is his popularity; If it weren't for that, he wouldn't even be considered by either fans or Nintendo.
This sounds like the same arguments that people threw at Banjo.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
This sounds like the same arguments that people threw at Banjo.
I dunno about you, but Banjo's not at the same level as Geno. Banjo's still the MAIN main character of his game and doesn't have to compete with other characters from the same series, he was actually partially owned by Nintendo at one point, he had a game that could be pushed in Rare Replay, the head of Microsoft wanted to see them in Smash, and Banjo-Kazooie was a classic of the Nintendo 64-Heck, they were even considered as mascots for the 360. SMRPG is still a Mario game, and we already have the star of the show in Smash. If it weren't for his popularity, Geno wouldn't even be considered for a moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom