• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Don't you love it when you spend hours working on something, and the only response you get is someone telling you that it's ****?
I've been there. Definitely doesn't feel great.

Nowadays I try to only listen to people who are willing to give actual constructive criticism. People who just come in to insult your work aren't interested in anything other than bein' rude.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Toxtricity might have a chance too since it's the most popular Pokemon from Gen 8 (it's not, but that's what's usually said).
Y'know, I'm genuinely bewildered that Dragapult isn't being discussed as often even though it's THE most popular Galar Pokemon.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Y'know, I'm genuinly bewildered that Dragapult isn't being discussed as often even though it's THE most popular Galar Pokemon.
I guess it's because (1) it's not anthro, (2) people have been claiming Toxtricity was popular ever since November, so that's who they automatically think of when popularity is brought up, and (3) people are either unaware of the poll or believe the Pokemon couldn't have been chosen afterwards (may or may not be true. Just depends on where in the pass we're getting the Pokemon).

I agree though, it should be taken more seriously.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Don't you love it when you spend hours working on something, and the only response you get is someone telling you that it's ****?
"Hey, here's my wishlist. It's my honest opinion, and I think it'd be pretty cool. What do you think?"
"Shoot it down."
There's rules against behavior like that, right? Because I'm pretty sure there should be rules against ****ing on someone's wishlist.

7NATOR

Smash Master
What do you guys think is the most likely Gen 8 Pokemon?
If we get one, Toxicrity

It has poison mechanics, and could have Rhythm based moves without it being it's central Gimmick like with Rillabroom potentially. It's also 2nd most popular Gen 8 Pokemon on that poll

zferolie

Smash Hero
I guess it's because (1) it's not anthro, (2) people have been claiming Toxtricity was popular ever since November, so that's who they automatically think of when popularity is brought up, and (3) people are either unaware of the poll or believe the Pokemon couldn't have been chosen afterwards (may or may not be true. Just depends on where in the pass we're getting the Pokemon).

I agree though, it should be taken more seriously.
I would live Dracopolt myself, i just said hatternene because i like her too and wanted to see peoples reaction to saying pokemon waifu

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I think it can be either
-One of the final evo's for the starters
-Zacian/Zamazenta
-A super popular pokemon like Toxtricity, Dragapult, Hatterene, Grimmsnarl, Obstagoon etc.

EDIT: I don't think we are getting any pokemon DLC representation as even the ARMS characters who came out after launch did not even get spirits

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I honestly don't think it'll be either of the DLC Pokemon. My money is on a base game Pokemon.

I'd say Cinderace and Inteleon have a lot going for them. If Sakurai was able to take popularity into consideration, Dragapult and Toxtricity are in a good position too.

And of course, I think battle puppy is underestimated.

1oqpe2diwxd41-1.gif

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry! I'm here for you, fellow Grovyle supporter.
The spirits board looks cool. A part from Grovyle I'm not really interested in the other characters, but it's definitely better than many others FP I've seen! Also, I've never played Scribblenauts, but I guess that Maxwell could be a great addition to Smash

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Probably one of the starters. Rillaboom could have some interesting stage control in his moveset, and his Grass-type abilities could help him avoid becoming Donkey Kong No. 2. Aside from him, Intelleon's get the sniper thing going for him, and Cinderace would be a more simple, beginner-friendly character.

Of course, Sakurai could always decide a minor, mostly ignored Pokemon would be cooler and choose them instead. Barraskewda, let's go!

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
You joke, but that would actually be pretty awesome.

It'll never happen though. They're not gonna lock a character behind a game, or at least I hope they wouldn't.
How about this? You guarantee the pokemon you get by buying that version. If you don't buy one of the games, it's random.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Am I alone in thinking that we won't get a Gen 8 Pokemon in Fighters' Pass 2?
While we did get Min Min in Pack 6, we already had ARMS content in the base game.
We got Sword & Shield spirits in a DLC Spirit Event.
We didn't get anything from Three House until Byleth was revealed as Fighter 5.
At this point, I feel any franchise that gets content in Smash (whether it is Spirits or Mii Costumes) via DLC is out of the running.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This thing
View attachment 279280
The people who insist Pokemon absolutely needs it's 11th fighter won't complain as it's 'pokemon-y' enough
Y'know, for someone who vehemently defended Byleth for being the eighth FE character, you seem to have no issue with taking shots at people who want Pokemon #11.

How about this? You guarantee the pokemon you get by buying that version. If you don't buy one of the games, it's random.
That's a little better, but I still think it would be a controversial move.

Then again, if they gave you an option to trade with someone or gift a copy of your Legendary to a friend, then that would be the most "Pokemon" thing you could do.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
While we did get Min Min in Pack 6, we already had ARMS content in the base game.
At this point, I feel any franchise that gets content in Smash (whether it is Spirits or Mii Costumes) via DLC is out of the running.
Yeah, we might not actually get a Pokemon. It think it's mostly because there's a lot of potential candidates that didn't get Spirited, including the fully evolved starters. Still, what's the point of holding an event if you're just gonna have a full Spirit Board later on? Plus, it's an odd decision to cram all three starters into a single Spirit. Personally, I don't think we'll get a Gen 8 Pokemon.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
My issue with a Gen VIII Pokémon is twofold. Sword and Shield themselves are the first mainline generation starting games that I haven't bought since I got into Pokémon due to how poorly done I think they are, and the Mons I really like from Gen VIII are among the least likely to be chosen. The only popular request from them that does anything for me is Rillaboom, and even then there are so many other characters I'd prefer, from Pokémon and beyond.

All in all, while Pokémon is one of my favorite franchises, I've never been too keen on how it's portrayed in Smash most of the time.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
way i see it, base game spirits are safe but patched-in spirits like SwSh, Astral Chain, Resident Evil etc. and any paid-for Mii Costumes are screwed

it's also worth noting ARMS had no music in base despite the Spring Man AT being there

i know neither SwSh nor Astral Chain has music but... we really need music dlc without anything else attached to be a thing, i want the swsh gym theme so bad

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I think another minor factor is how Gen VIII is portrayed in the anime. Since Smash takes a lot of cues from the Anime and the Gen VIII show hasn't been going on that long it hasn't had that many Pokemon from that generation yet. The anime premiered in November 2019 in japan around the time the characters were chosen.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
I think if we get a Gen 8 rep it'll be one of these:

Rillaboom
Cinderace
Inteleon
Dragapult
Toxtricity
Urshifu
Calyrex
Eternatus

I'm probably wrong but those are the ones I'm looking at

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I know the competitive scene isn't the number 1 priority but what a way to ****ing scam TOs with an additional cost of 120 bucks
Y'know, for someone who vehemently defended Byleth for being the eighth FE character, you seem to have no issue with taking shots at people who want Pokemon #11.

That's a little better, but I still think it would be a controversial move.

Then again, if they gave you an option to trade with someone or gift a copy of your Legendary to a friend, then that would be the most "Pokemon" thing you could do.
First of all, 8 is smaller than 11, especially as 2 of those characters were made in like 5 minutes

Second, I'm not pretending people are being too unfair for not thinking an FE character is a shoe-in, you get upset when people don't agree Pokemon needs another character

Third, I don't constantly bring up FE, only when it's relevant, and even then, it's not "Guys it needs another character I swear it'll die otherwise", you're the reason it gets brought up a good 90% of the time

Fourth, I don't claim people are gatekeeping when they say they don't want another FE character, you've done so with Pokemon multiple times

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think if we get a Gen 8 rep it'll be one of these:

Eternatus

I'm probably wrong but those are the ones I'm looking at
1595192436565.png
(65'07''/20 m tall)
I would say that Eternatus is too big to be playable, but SWSH itself didn't much concern itself with size, so it should be fine.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Quick poll for the thread. Now that we're well into the day and there's no sign of Nintendo announcing a Direct, what do y'all think the chances are that we'll still get one tomorrow?

Personally, I'm still choosing to believe. Nintendo seems to really like shadowdropping stuff these days, or announcing things outta the blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom