• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
And everyone will immediately go to Rillaboom, Cinderace, Toxicitry, and Urshifu, because of course they would. Depending on how far along it is, maybe trade out Urshifu for Calyrex.
Most people don't care about getting another Pokemon, which is why most Gen 8 discussions go like this:

"Yeah, they're adding Urshifu because they'll want the DLC to sell. I guess they could also choose a starter. Does anyone watch the anime? Which starter is getting the most attention? Cinderace? Okay, then it's probably between Urshifu and Cinderace. Toxtricity might have a chance too since it's the most popular Pokemon from Gen 8 (it's not, but that's what's usually said)."

There are many more Pokemon outside the starters and Urshifu (soon to be Calyrex) who should be given more attention, but sadly the fixation on those specific Pokemon probably won't go away unless something dramatic happens.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Honestly, I'm starting to think there isn't going to be a direct on Monday. Nintendo does some strange things, but dropping what is mostly likely their plan for the remainder of 2020 and the beginning of 2021 with absolutely no fanfare just seems like a bridge too far to cross even for a company that beats so heavily to the beat of their own drum.

That being said, I'm still holding hope that a direct announcement will occur around 8 PM tonight, therefore being a 9 AM Monday announcement for Japan.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
picture this:

>"The next character is from Square Enix"
>in the pic are Agnes, Seth (BD II), Crono, Chocobo, Sora, Geno, a Star Ocean character, 2B, Lara Croft, Gex, and Neku Sakuraba
>no Sephiroth or (lmao) Max Caulfield but that does little to calm the ABSOLUTE NUCLEAR STATE HERE
Stan Bravely

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
picture this:

>in the pic are Agnes, Seth (BD II), Crono, Chocobo, Sora, Geno, a Star Ocean character, 2B, Lara Croft, Gex, and Neku Sakuraba
>no Sephiroth or (lmao) Max Caulfield but that does little to calm the ABSOLUTE NUCLEAR STATE HERE

No thank you ma'am please don't even suggest as such because I'm already getting PTSD of my time from the old Square Enix Thread.

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice
There are many more Pokemon outside the starters and Urshifu (soon to be Calyrex) who should be given more attention, but sadly the fixation on those specific Pokemon probably won't go away unless something dramatic happens.
Its a shame all of them have to be human like eversince lucario

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Most people don't care about getting another Pokemon, which is why most Gen 8 discussions go like this:

"Yeah, they're adding Urshifu because they'll want the DLC to sell. I guess they could also choose a starter. Does anyone watch the anime? Which starter is getting the most attention? Cinderace? Okay, then it's probably between Urshifu and Cinderace. Toxtricity might have a chance too since it's the most popular Pokemon from Gen 8 (it's not, but that's what's usually said)."

No I'm pretty sure it's because when there's only 5 characters left, people would rather have something other than the 11th Pokemon

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
In before we get a Vestaria Saga rep.

My man Jean doesn't know what the big deal is.
a what rep now

also how much chaos would a Bandai Namco guessing game between Lloyd, Yuri, Velvet, Klonoa, Gil, Nightmare, Prince of All Cosmos, a God Eater character and KOS-MOS cause

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
No I'm pretty sure it's because when there's only 5 characters left, people would rather have something other than the 11th Pokemon
...Literally the first half of the first sentence in my post you quoted.

Most people don't care about getting another Pokemon...

Jeez, sometimes you're way too eager to disagree with me.

Last edited:
a what rep now

also how much chaos would a Bandai Namco guessing game between Lloyd, Yuri, Velvet, Klonoa, Gil, Nightmare, Prince of All Cosmos, a God Eater character and KOS-MOS cause
It's a Fire Emblem-like game on Steam. It's better than FE in some ways and worse in others. It will never ever actually come to smash. I'm just being silly.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's a Fire Emblem-like game on Steam. It's better than FE in some ways and worse in others. It will never ever actually come to smash. I'm just being silly.
like Temtem being Steam's Pokemon clone?

I may look into Vestaria Saga sometime nevertheless

Sort of. It's a Kaga game so it's very old school. My biggest problem with it is that it expects you to experiment to figure out how certain things on the map work. It's pretty interesting though.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908

Vestaria Saga is made by Fire Emblem’s creator, Shouzou Kaga, so yes it’s very similar in terms of narrative and gameplay, not really a “clone” though as it does it’s own interesting things.

great game btw

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
How would you guys feel about a Punch-Out guessing game? Specifically the boxers you face in the Wii game. Obviously it stands no realistic shot at being DLC but I do think it has a cast that would be a perfect fit for a scenario like that.

Bald Bull would probably be my guess, with his perfect attendance and even cameoing in the Arms wrestling game but Aran Ryan would no doubt be the best choice.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
How would you guys feel about a Punch-Out guessing game? Specifically the boxers you face in the Wii game. Obviously it stands no realistic shot at being DLC but I do think it has a cast that would be a perfect fit for a scenario like that.

Bald Bull would probably be my guess, with his perfect attendance and even cameoing in the Arms wrestling game but Aran Ryan would no doubt be the best choice.
that'd mean we'd get a second punch out fighter so hard pass

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I mean. We got joker what, 4 months before his release? Banjo was just a trailer and it was 3 months out. So there is nothing against just showing a trailer then nothing for awhile.

People saying its too soon seem to be thinking we will also get them playable right away too, which is expecting too much
I think we all got used to the drought.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman

he'th in
mike-tyson-punch-out.jpg

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Watch Glass Joe get in.

He beat Nick Bruiser once, so he’s definitely strong.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I’m pretty neutral on Geno myself.
Same. I think a premium Mii Costume is the appropriate level of representation for him.

But I would looooove for Geno fans to STFU, so I wouldn't complain if he became a character.

Here's a Joker reaction for anyone wishing to watch.
Poor Min Min...she'll never get to see her NY reaction...

Kind of defeats the whole point of a Direct doesn't it?
Depends what you think the "point" of a Direct is. If you think it's supposed to be a long commercial for Nintendo games, like Nintendo probably does, then no.

If you think it's supposed to be source material for wacky live video reactions, like the internet does, then sure.

How would you guys feel about a Punch-Out guessing game?
I think it would basically be the same thing as announcing King Hippo, because there's no one else it could be.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Speaking of Punch-Out, I'm surprised there hasn't been an Assist Trophy to fill the Void left by Little Mac when he got promoted in Smash 4.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
picture this:

Watch the actual character be Squall / Firion / Lightning.

Real talk, if the Mario rumors are true, I really, really hope the SM64 remaster looks even half as good as the SM64 SGI Project.

If it's just a straight up port and some fans on a Discord server outdid them, then that's gonna be pretty doggone disappointing, lol.
There is an already existing official Mario Galaxy emulation / upscale project - on the Nintendo / Nvidia Wii emulator* (only released in China, 2018) on NVidia Shield. Nope, not kidding, that actually happened. The Mario Galaxy Nvidia emulation could serve as a baseline (The Shield shares the Switch's Tegra X1 processor), albeit I'm personally expecting a possible Galaxy Switch port to go the extra mile and remaster elements. Because Nintendo now has that baseline to go by and can tell what worked / what didn't.

I'd be dissapointed too if they half-assed the port and it wound up outdone by some fans, yes. Would not be entirely surprised if that happened though, considering a single person just put Nintendo's online to shame (That is, Slippi the Melee rollback netcode).

*(Likely an attempt by Nintendo to enter that region more fully before they got into contact with Tencent. The Nvidia collab only saw four Wii games on the Shield, the massive effort to port them for that little reward was probably why that ended.)

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I think Byleth might have reinforced that mindset. "It's gonna be a shill pick, therefore it must be the most recent." If that's the mindset used, we'd have Yuri instead of Byleth. Toxicitry seems to be the one Pokemon that most people who predict it legitimately want, since it's a popular Pokemon.

But they're all bad picks. Every Gen 8 Pokemon people predict is bad because it's not the greatest Pokemon on Galar:

THE MAJESTIC APPLETUN

Y'know, I feel like Mr. Sandman fits Little Mac's Smash moveset better than Little Mac himself, being power-focused and gimmickless. Little Mac could be changed to a tough, speedly fighter who doesn't deal too much damage and has to outlast his foes, while Mr. Sandman would take up his original moveset except now he can actually function in the air. Plus, he's the final boss of the original and the Wii version, and the latter seems to take some traits from Mike Tyson, so he could potentially cover Mike Tyson's Punch-Out as well.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Depends what you think the "point" of a Direct is. If you think it's supposed to be a long commercial for Nintendo games, like Nintendo probably does, then no.
Why even bother making it a video. Why not just randomly shadow drop a bunch of games. What's the point in even watching a Nintendo Direct? If the news and media outlets are going to report on everything and Nintendo is upload all the trailers on Youtube, why even make a Direct?

The point is that Nintendo releases a showcase of news hot off the stove. Like a Mini E3. We getting the news "Directly to you" ~ Satoru Iwata

If its shadow dropped there no need for a presentation.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I'm 100% still confident in that Direct happening tomorrow since so many credible people have come out and risked their reputation on this but I'm fairly certain it's going to be another mini. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Nintendo has ever waited this long to announce a Direct happening the next day. I honestly don't care if it's a mini or not though, any info is good for me.

And I'm not going to get my hopes up for Waluigi. I know there have been theories forming around him recently and it does seem that this is going to be a Mario focused direct but better to go in assuming nothing.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I sleep. Little Mac represents the series perfectly by himself.
Little Mac represents Punch-Out! pretty poorly in my opinion. He is also the worst designed character in the game, by far. But I'd much rather see Mac remade than get a different character from the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom