• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Eh, if we do get another guessing game, the MvC fan in me would be fine with a Capcom guessing game. Sega could be fun too. Or maybe a "company not in Smash yet" game. God help us if it's a Square Enix or Pokémon one, though.

Ad if it was that LoL guessing game @SKX31 and me have been memeing about... not even God could help us.
The LoL guessing game's our current apocalypse scenario, it seems. If that happens, we're all going to die.

Actually, how salty would the LoL fandom be if the character is revealed instantly but isn't what some of them like? I know the fandom's pretty big, so salt might be inevitable.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The LoL guessing game's our current apocalypse scenario, it seems. If that happens, we're all going to die.

Actually, how salty would the LoL fandom be if the character is revealed instantly but isn't what some of them like? I know the fandom's pretty big, so salt might be inevitable.
To be fair they can only pick a select few to show on the guessing list screen and anyone who ISN’T there, you can assume has no chance. Same with Pokémon

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
To be fair they can only pick a select few to show on the guessing list screen and anyone who ISN’T there, you can assume has no chance. Same with Pokémon
There doesn’t have to be a guessing list. They can just show the logo and then have like gameplay of the game while they say “yeah it’s from this game“

LoL guessing list would be a blast, ngl.

Their gimmicks are that Kino can't do anything but heal and shielding with Naenae does nothing, they also yell out "mehmehmeh" every 2 seconds
Their names are Kino and Naenae? lmao

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Hold up dudes.

1) New tag disappeared on the Smash website which almost always leads to a new character

2) There hasn’t been a Direct, including the last mini, without Smash news

3) Smash reveals for Volume 1 after Joker happened more or less in a span of 1 new character every 3-4 months

Considering the circumstances with ARMS/Min Min, it’s been a substantial amount of time focused on one character in a similar fashion to Joker. If we get a character reveal now, with a release in September/October, the time between could match up to Vol 1.

We could definitely get a character and I wouldn’t count it out because an insider is speculating. Just be careful with expectations.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
As in, the character was just dropped with no guessing game. How badly would the fandom take it if that happens? With so many options, it might be hard to narrow it all down.
There doesn’t have to be a guessing list. They can just show the logo and then have like gameplay of the game while they say “yeah it’s from this game“

LoL guessing list would be a blast, ngl.
I never realized just how much it would hurt to have just the logo and gameplay instead of a board until you pointed it out. Thanks, I hate it.

Their names are Kino and Naenae? lmao
Actually the pink one is Nene but yes, the green one is Kino.
Hold up dudes.

1) New tag disappeared on the Smash website which almost always leads to a new character

2) There hasn’t been a Direct, including the last mini, without Smash news

3) Smash reveals for Volume 1 after Joker happened more or less in a span of 1 new character every 3-4 months

Considering the circumstances with ARMS/Min Min, it’s been a substantial amount of time focused on one character in a similar fashion to Joker. If we get a character reveal now, with a release in September/October, the time between could match up to Vol 1.

We could definitely get a character and I wouldn’t count it out because an insider is speculating. Just be careful with expectations.
^
I can't see a direct happening without Smash. If it's not announced there, where else would it be?

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
As in, the character was just dropped with no guessing game. How badly would the fandom take it if that happens? With so many options, it might be hard to narrow it all down.
Tbf I don’t think the Peter Griffin Squirrel Pokémon will be likely to keep itself in the discourse, even though he’s technically possible. It’ll down to the same six regardless of what they show in a guessing screen

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I keep seeing the phrase Kino on twitter

wth does it mean

I have a hard time believing there wouldn’t be any Smash news in a Nintendo Direct. Knowing that a Direct is coming is one thing, but since when have they known all the content that’s gonna be included in the Direct?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Depends on the character. I think out of all the more notable ones, some Champions with salt potential are Yasuo, Teemo and Lux (the latter due to how frequently she gets skins and attention from the devs, I guess).

I think the biggest ordeal of a LoL guessing game isn't even the amount of characters, tbh. It would be the fact that the League fandom is massive and everyone would chime in with who they think it is. Imagine that **** going on for months on end before the reveal. This is the Seven Squares thing all over again, but there's a bit more than seven and it involves a massive fandom.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Something I've noticed is the maintenance notification lists three dates: The 20th, the 27th, and August 3rd. Even if we don't get anything on the 20th, there could be something for the other two dates.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Hot take but I loved the guessing game. Gave some time to focus on a specific game and apply speculation skills on areas that classic speculation doesn’t explore. Giving us the world of LoL to play with would be very fun I think.

Even Pokémon would force the fanbase to think about the choices instead of brushing over it with a dismissive “oh it cinderace shillmon” before moving onto the regular circlejerk of ”haha geno crash lloyd go woosh”

EDIT: A guessing game around a company would be less novel cause speculation already tends to ask questions like “Which Capcom/Namco/Square character is it gonna be”, with great length discussions flowing from that. A guessing game of company doesn’t sidetrack speculation as much as ARMS did

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Hot take but I loved the guessing game. Gave some time to focus on a specific game and apply speculation skills on areas that classic speculation doesn’t explore. Giving us the world of LoL to play with would be very fun I think.

Even Pokémon would force the fanbase to think about the choices instead of brushing over it with a dismissive “oh it cinderace shillmon” before moving onto the regular circlejerk of ”haha geno crash lloyd go woosh”
See, I get where you’re coming from but that’s not even what happened with ARMS.

It was boiled down to like 3-4 picks almost immediately, and then after the first 2-3 days it was , “Ok...please, reveal the character”.

Not to say they couldn’t do it again, but I think the only reason they did it was to buy themselves time.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I was thinking about trying one of the GBA Fire Emblem games on the Wii U (I've only played Awakening, Fates, and Three Houses, and I was thinking that maybe the perma-death mechanic isn't as bad as I thought it was), but this makes me glad that I didn't get the Sacred Stones, because I already dislike Ephraim based on that description alone.

Then again, the last time that I thought "maybe this game isn't as difficult as its reputation suggests - I should try it out" was with the Ninja Gaiden series, and seeing as I've already posted a lengthy rant about the difficulty of chapter 2 on Normal mode, that didn't go well. (I'm willing to continue it, but they made some rather poor choices when it came to camera control and introducing enemies)
Sacred Stones or FE7 (the one with Lyn and Roy's dad) are relatively easy, specially Sacred Stones, which also has a place where you can grind a little bit in case you need it. FE7 is harder than FE8, but not super hard, except if you're playing Hector Hard Mode.
FE6, Roy's game, is overall harder and with trickier map design.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
See, I get where you’re coming from but that’s not even what happened with ARMS.

It was boiled down to like 3-4 picks almost immediately, and then after the first 2-3 days it was , “Ok...please, reveal the character”.

Not to say they couldn’t do it again, but I think the only reason they did it was to buy themselves time.
Well I still had fun running through the choices for myself, and the debates between the camps of those three four picks were at least different. Just because nobody thought Byte and Barq would be in didn’t mean it was business as usual, although June was very painful because, yeah, by then the juice was just run out

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

The guessing game really wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, and I'm sure a large part of the criticism actually stems from the fact that we had to discuss ARMS for three months instead of something "more hype".

I wouldn't mind if they tried something similar with Pokemon. I'd much rather discuss the pros and cons of each potential newcomer instead of, "Here's the Gen 8 character. You may now start complaining."

I really don’t think they’re gonna do the guessing game thing again. Arms was a unique situation where they already had content in Smash and it was strange that they were gonna add a character despite seeming like their chance had come and gone. They won’t do that again. Smash fans have a terrible habit of thinking they’re always gonna repeat a gimmick that they pulled one time. The Banjo trailer for instance. After the Banjo trailer there were all these leaks claiming the next characters trailer “would continue ‘X’s trailer similar to Banjo’s trailer.” And whadaya know, that never happened. C’mon people.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
They'd be bucking so many trends seemingly out of nowhere if they did a full on General without Smash, so while I am going in cautiously now, I still think odds are good. Just gotta wait and see how it all plays out.

EDIT: Also, no, I don't think they will do the guessing game again.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Lowkey, I think the most Volitile Guessing game would be if they said an Assist Trophy was goona get promoted, but you have to guess which

I Don't think the Fanbase is ready for that. I'm prepared though

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I really don’t think they’re gonna do the guessing game thing again. Arms was a unique situation where they already had content in Smash and it was strange that they were gonna add a character despite seeming like their chance had come and gone. They won’t do that again. Smash fans have a terrible habit of thinking they’re always gonna repeat a gimmick that they pulled one time. The Banjo trailer for instance. After the Banjo trailer there were all these leaks claiming the next characters trailer “would continue ‘X’s trailer like Banjo’s trailer.” And whadaya know, that never happened. C’mon people.
Oh it’s super unlikely to happen again but I would like it, providing the series would both provide enough speculation material that is not the usual business.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Most likely scenarios.

1. Tomorrow we get an announcement for Tuesday or Thursday
2. Its next week on the 27th or its announced on that date while airing on next Tuesday or Thursday.
3. Sometime in August notably the 3rd perhaps whether announced and airing Tuesday or Thursday or airing on that day.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If it is a full direct

will they announce it tonight maybe?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm a little skeptical on a general full direct now, it's a bit late to announce it. Could still happen, but I wonder what makes nate or whoever adamant that it's a full direct.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Their gimmicks are that Kino can't do anything but heal and shielding with Naenae does nothing, they also yell out "mehmehmeh" every 2 seconds
The gimmicks are that they're Reyn and Sharla, so you might as well just have Reyn be playable (Don't care about Sharla lol).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
They HAVE announced stuff late on Sunday right? Like the 8/8 Ult presentation?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
On the Nate thing, from the tone of his posts it seems he's just speculating on the matter as he says in a later post that he could see another ARMs situation and gives his thoughts on other aspects of the Direct. Still, as always it's good to hype responsibly as even if a pattern holds it doesn't mean it'll always be the case.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I love Kino and Nene, but they basically have 0 chance of getting in lol. Still, I love to see more of them.

Also, we're having doubt now about Geno/Smash news?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I was thinking about trying one of the GBA Fire Emblem games on the Wii U (I've only played Awakening, Fates, and Three Houses, and I was thinking that maybe the perma-death mechanic isn't as bad as I thought it was), but this makes me glad that I didn't get the Sacred Stones, because I already dislike Ephraim based on that description alone.

Then again, the last time that I thought "maybe this game isn't as difficult as its reputation suggests - I should try it out" was with the Ninja Gaiden series, and seeing as I've already posted a lengthy rant about the difficulty of chapter 2 on Normal mode, that didn't go well. (I'm willing to continue it, but they made some rather poor choices when it came to camera control and introducing enemies)
Oh hold it, Ephraim is a real good character. He's not a Gary Stue at all! He often takes risks that others would call him reckless for, he abandoned his princely title more or less before the game started to make fame for himself as a peerless fighter and thus left his homeland unprotected, and yeah, he's the only Lance Lord in the franchise. Ephraim is a great character for GBA standards, maybe less well written than the almighty Hector, but definitely not one dimensional.

Why even let ONE single opinion affect your willingness to play this game ?

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I think the main problem with the guessing game was how long we waited between “Guess who?” and “This is who!”. I wouldn’t be upset with another so long as it’s like, 1 month instead of 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom