• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
No I

I stated my case but you don't read. I based it on general demand both on this website as well as all of social media and the polls. Joker wasn't in ANY OF IT. Argue against me?

Does anyone on here argue facts? Joker wasn't on Nintendo games. Wasn't even in the picture with any Smash polls. Wasn't highly demanded on Smash Boards. Wasn't highly demanded on Reddit posts for Smash. Wasn't highly demanded on Youtube videos, etc.

None of you can rebut this argument.
That’s because no one expected him. He was a pipe dream. He was the character that smashed open speculation. His inclusion is what lead to characters like Dante, DoomGuy & Master Chief becoming super popular picks.

Persona 5 is one of the best reviewed & most beloved games of the gen. It’s sold over 3 million copies, probably more if you include Royal. He’s a hell of a lot more famous than a sidekick in a 25 year old one-off Mario game or an indie characters who’s games’ sale numbers haven’t been revealed lmao

His reveal was meet with a ton of praise & excitement. Since you keep mentioning YouTube videos then watch reactions to his reveal. The reactions are up there with Banjo, Ridley & K Rool when it comes to Ultimate’s reveals.

inb4 another guessing game but this time it’s a whole ass company (Sega, Capcom, Bamco, Square Enix)

tbf Microsoft has been on friendlier terms with Nintendo in the years before Banjo’s reveal. Same can’t be said for Sony
Ahh, this revisionist excuse. Go back and ask anyone how likely Banjo was before they started becoming friendly. Hell, even after they started becoming friendly people still thought Steve was more likely because he was at least multi-platform whereas Banjo was Xbox exclusive and Nintendo would “never wanna do that”

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I feel like people prioritize getting new franchises way too much sometimes.

I've never played Atelier, and while I'm sure Ryza would be a fun character, I'd take a second Sonic or Mega Man character over her in a heartbeat. Ryza isn't very iconic, her franchise is somewhat popular at best, and there weren't many people requesting her. Meanwhile there are multiple Sonic characters who check off all three of those boxes: Iconic, hail from a popular franchise, and have a decent following in Smash speculation.

I get that people have been introduced to a lot of good franchises through Smash, but what happens if you're someone who doesn't end up loving the franchise? It's a gamble. That's why I think it'd ultimately be best to focus on characters/franchises that would reliably connect with people and limit the less known and/or less popular ones.
This works both ways, what if we got an Earthbound character as DLC? I don't like Earthbound, it's a gamble, we should focus on popular franchises like DMC, Halo, etc over franchises that nobody would remember without those two kids in Smash

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm agreeing with this sentiment. Another Sonic character probably should get priority over another SEGA protagonist of a different series. And I'm not even a Sonic fan.

But since we've gotten Echoes of third party characters already, why not give Sonic a second fighter? Could even be a semi clone of Sonic himself. Tails or Knuckles would do well. And these are the only other Sonic characters I'd wish to see. They're classics , can't really exclude them. I think they're missing as much as say, Dixie Kong or Bandana Dee or Impa.
The beauty of Sonic is that any of the other characters could feasibly be echoes of Sonic since everyone plays the same in the 2D games.

Personally I kinda want Blaze the cat, the slight changes to her moveset compared to Sonic would make her interesting in smash.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
That’s because no one expected him. He was a pipe dream. He was the character that smashed open speculation. His inclusion is what lead to characters like Dante, DoomGuy & Master Chief becoming super popular picks.

Persona 5 is one of the best reviewed & most beloved games of the gen. It’s sold over 3 million copies, probably more if you include Royal. He’s a hell of a lot more famous than a sidekick in a 25 year old one-off Mario game or an indie characters who’s games’ sale numbers haven’t been revealed lmao

His reveal was meet with a ton of praise & excitement. Since you keep mentioning YouTube videos then watch reactions to his reveal. The reactions are up there with Banjo, Ridley & K Rool when it comes to Ultimate’s reveals.
Here's a Joker reaction for anyone wishing to watch.

zferolie

Smash Hero
If i recall, people said the same thing for that rumored mini in march. I mean there were rumors, but no one outright side there was gonna be smash news right?

Just because 1 guy on resetera said he doesnt know about smash news doesn't mean for sure there wont be.

Jesus why does the smash fanbase have such insane mood swings. JUST WAIT TILL TOMMOROW AND SEE. We will know then.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I feel like people prioritize getting new franchises way too much sometimes.

I've never played Atelier, and while I'm sure Ryza would be a fun character, I'd take a second Sonic or Mega Man character over her in a heartbeat. Ryza isn't very iconic, her franchise is somewhat popular at best, and there weren't many people requesting her. Meanwhile there are multiple Sonic characters who check off all three of those boxes: Iconic, hail from a popular franchise, and have a decent following in Smash speculation.

I get that people have been introduced to a lot of good franchises through Smash, but what happens if you're someone who doesn't end up loving the franchise? It's a gamble. That's why I think it'd ultimately be best to focus on characters/franchises that would reliably connect with people and limit the less known and/or less popular ones.
This reads like thinly veiled gatekeeping, tbh.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
So, like

This'll be the first Direct that isn't a game specific one since Ultimate's reveal that won't have a character in it.

Are...are they gonna do a Direct just for the Mario remasters? That's the only reason I can think why they wouldn't take the opportunity to show more Smash content when they're already really low on content to show for the year. Oh well, wait and see; always the chance things are taking a bit longer for FP7.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So, like

This'll be the first Direct that isn't a game specific one since Ultimate's reveal that won't have a character in it.

Are...are they gonna do a Direct just for the Mario remasters? That's the only reason I can think why they wouldn't take the opportunity to show more Smash content when they're already really low on content to show for the year. Oh well, wait and see; always the chance things are taking a bit longer for FP7.
There’s POSSIBLY a chance of something F-Zero too if that twitter investigation is anything to go by

zferolie

Smash Hero
And people are already forgetting that the new icon was removed from the smash website, which always has meant a new character will be shown soon. You guys put way too much stock into what some guy says on resetera. They are not all knowing gods, they dont know everything, the smash news may be super secret still.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So, like

NMHIII's supposed to come out this year and development's gone smoothly, that's gonna be there, right?

Anyway wild card pick I'm suspecting Strider Hiryu may get some slight acknowledgement for some reason

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think smash news still IS super secret. In fact they may have tightened it more ever since ZhugeEX “leaked” Min Min in that rather roundabout way

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Actually the french guy said people should wake up before 10AM EST, which is 4PM for us Europeans, which implies a shadowdrop like the March one
Curse Nintendo for expecting me to get up before 4PM!

So, like

One of the Resetera people already said that this Direct is not a game- or series-specific one, but a general one.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
natedrake saying on resetera that he doesn't expect any smash news in the rumoured direct

now it's time to perish
I know we should take 'leakers' with a grain of salt but I always thought in the back of my mind that we wouldn't get the next character.

I think the next character will be announced in a Byleth style presentation. either at The end of the month or the middle of August

I feel like the only games at this upcoming direct will be a metric ton of Mario and a few third parties.

Last edited:

MooMew64

And people are already forgetting that the new icon was removed from the smash website, which always has meant a new character will be shown soon. You guys put way too much stock into what some guy says on resetera. They are not all knowing gods, they dont know everything, the smash news may be super secret still.
The guys on Resetera are the reason why we even think a Direct is happening in the first place, though. If they're saying Smash news isn't likely, than I'd be inclined to then believe that if I'm still believing that what they're saying about a Direct is true.

Would also line up with Nate Drake telling people not to overhype. Decent odds now IMO that we're getting something extremely small, like, a Direct exclusively for Mario's 35th or something. Guess people are saying insiders have said it's a general? That makes the lack of Smash more confusing.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The guys on Resetera are the reason why we even think a Direct is happening in the first place, though. If they're saying Smash news isn't likely, than I'd be inclined to then believe that if I'm still believing that what they're saying about a Direct is true.

Would also line up with Nate Drake telling people not to overhype. Decent odds now IMO that we're getting something extremely small, like, a Direct exclusively for Mario's 35th or something.
Could also just be that the Smash info is being held close like Zelda was last year.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
There's also the maintenance for the Switch coming up soon. I think we're getting something.
Also, is there anyone who can explain if the Direct is more likely to come with the Parental Control maintenance or the eShop one?
https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp

zferolie

Smash Hero

Would also line up with Nate Drake telling people not to overhype. Decent odds now IMO that we're getting something extremely small, like, a Direct exclusively for Mario's 35th or something.
But those same guys are saying its focused on multiple games too... they need to make up their mind, and like i said, no leaker has known everything.

MooMew64

Could also just be that the Smash info is being held close like Zelda was last year.
That's definitely possible. Either way, I'm gonna go in prepared for the possibility there won't be something.

But those same guys are saying its focused on multiple games too... they need to make up their mind, and like i said, no leaker has known everything.
I wasn't aware of that when I made the post, my bad. I edited it to reflect that now. :)

MooMew64

This is all starting to get confusing, lol.

So lemme see if I got things straight: NateDrake and others are saying it's not a Mini, it's a General, but NateDrake doesn't think Smash will show up, but there's the chance it still could because of the new tag being removed?

Tomorrow is gonna be real interesting...

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Wait was Min Min actually leaked ?
I think it was Imran Kahn who did, a day before the reveal. He did a Twitter poll and referenced her in a twitter thread, using her name as the first words of the tweets.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Someone posted a template for a Spirit Board creation yesterday, and I decided to use it to show my "ideal" FP vol.2 conclusion.
MWs spirit board.png

I'm... not very good at photoshop. The characters (bottom to top) that the Spirit Boards go with are PMD Grovyle, Bandana Dee, Maxwell Scribblenauts (he was the toughest, there aren't many notable Scribblenauts characters), Frisk, and Megaman X.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
I didn't know people disliked Q2, I just thought it fell under the radar as it was pretty much the last big release on 3DS.
I'm not sure how many people dislike it I've just seen a few people saying they prefer Q1 over it and were upset over the fact that there were no English voices. I probably should've worded my post differently.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
But that last time that Smash information was kept a total secret like this, we got...

...Oh no.

Found the picture on Google. I don't know much about Fire Emblem, so I'm not sure how he'd be viewed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom