• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Both characters are very obscure in the entirety of gaming. You can't argue that they are as popular or wanted as Crash Bandicoot, Doom guy, Ryu Hayabusa, or Rayman. There are even 1st party characters like Dixie Kong and Waluigi that are more popular and more deserved than these characters.

I do think Byleth was hurt by the just sheer number of Fire Emblem characters in the game. (There are more FE characters than Legend of Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong, and Animal Crossing which are all more popular and iconic series than FE).

Smash fans have a reason to be upset as iconic characters like Doom Guy or Rayman are being shut out or Joker. There are only so many spots available. Not to mention Piranha Plant was an odd addition. Geno should have taken Piranha Plant's addition.
"Claims Joker is obscure while also saying we need Geno and Shantae"

Aaaand into to the ignore list it goes.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
- Talks about popular characters
- Mentions Geno and Shantae

I mean, nothing against these two, but these two aren't precisely super popular outside of Smash circles, specially Geno.

Also, a lot of times we get that kind of characters that "I didn't know I wanted until they added them". Simply put, there are characters that aren't much discussed for multiple reasons, and Joker for example was one of these, mostly because no one thought he had a chance, myself included. I never considered a Persona character despite being a fan of the series and Smash, probably because my brain didn't even thought it was possible.

In any case. there are a lot of popular names beyond the ones you've listed.
Nintendo will add whoever they want, that's obvious, and while who knows what we will get further in the pass, I'm okay with that. To put it in a way, I prefer some variety, because I'd be a bit bored with a pass full of "popular characters", or the ones that are popular according to you.
No I
So you're one of those that goes by "deserving" metrics and all and basically decides who's iconic or popular. Okay. Good to know lol
I stated my case but you don't read. I based it on general demand both on this website as well as all of social media and the polls. Joker wasn't in ANY OF IT. Argue against me?

Does anyone on here argue facts? Joker wasn't on Nintendo games. Wasn't even in the picture with any Smash polls. Wasn't highly demanded on Smash Boards. Wasn't highly demanded on Reddit posts for Smash. Wasn't highly demanded on Youtube videos, etc.

None of you can rebut this argument.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
As stated, we are halfway through 2020 right now and we have 1 out of 6 characters. We should have at least 2/6 characters revealed by now if not 3. We really should have 2 released by now.
It is expected that this pass will last until the end of 2021. The character reveals/releases are not going to be spread out evenly throughout this timeframe (especially now with Covid) and expecting them to be is foolish. Once all the characters are closer to completion then we'll start to see steadier releases.

In the mean time have some patience. Even without any reveals in the meantime once all the characters are released then the wait will mean nothing, and the complaining will be pointless.

volbound1700

Smash Master
It is expected that this pass will last until the end of 2021. The character reveals/releases are not going to be spread out evenly throughout this timeframe (especially now with Covid) and expecting them to be is foolish. Once all the characters are closer to completion then we'll start to see steadier releases.

In the mean time have some patience. Even without any reveals in the meantime once all the characters are released then the wait will mean nothing, and the complaining will be pointless.
I can understand your point. Thank you for actually reading my posts and replying to it as a reasonable human being.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I wanna get of Mr Sakurai's wild ride, but we are here forver sadly.

Anyway guys, everyone just needs to freaking chill out, relax, and what happens happens.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Anyway, to get discussion back a potential Direct announcement: I could maybe see that coming a bit over an hour from now, since that's the time of day when Nintendo's E3 Directs usually begin. Definitely not convinced of that, though.

volbound1700

Smash Master
This post was warned for trolling content and border-line abusive language and behavior.
Let's agree to disagree. I don't like the Joker add, especially. I think it to away from many other great options that could have been included in Smash.

I also find it frustrating in this thread that people don't even read my posts and make immature responses like osby did in post # 134,443.

volbound1700

Smash Master
"Claims Joker is obscure while also saying we need Geno and Shantae"

Aaaand into to the ignore list it goes.
BTW, I am reporting this post. It was nothing but a troll post.

I always stated "Popular in the Smash Community" from the onset.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm optimistic about tomorrow. Gonna be chillin' with some Animal Crossing and Paper Mario while I wait.

It's gonna be Kiryu time.

Kiryu win.
Sorry, Kiryu canonically did voice acting for an h-game so he's not for good boys and girls. You'll get Majima instead.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yeah from my research, the 3ds games haven't been able to sell over 2 million and while Star Allies has, Three Houses sold better than Star Allies, albeit by 0.3 million
I think the issues with Kirby and Sonic is that they appeal to a different time. If you looked at all-time series sales, both would outdo Fire Emblem. If you look over the last 3 years, Fire Emblem outpaces both.

Fire Emblem is definitely becoming a stronger Nintendo IP. I own three FE games (including the two with Ike).

I don't have Awakening or Three Houses. I want Awakening but I don't have a 3DS. I am hoping they release a definitive addition. Awakening got 3 characters in Smash so it is the one that probably got too much love.

I will say this FE outstrips Kirby with 8 characters vs. 3 characters so I can understand the FE frustration somewhat. (Although Kirby has more stages).

To be honest, I don't mind Byleth. I am just nervous/upset that some of the characters that I want (and actually most Smash fans want based on social media) will be shutout.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sorry, Kiryu canonically did voice acting for an h-game so he's not for good boys and girls. You'll get Majima instead.
I don't see anything wrong with that.

One of Majima's taunts/victory poses should be him just screaming "KIRYU-CHAN".

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Guess I'm going down in a cellar to find the announcement.

I was thinking of niche characters instead of Ryza, and I thought about Estelle from Trails of the Sky, or a character from Disgaea :)

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Curious if Animal Crossing will get a character in this fighter pass. Animal Crossing is quickly becoming one of Nintendo's strongest franchises. I kind of consider it to be the Pokemon of this era. I would say in popularity, it might be #2 after Mario. I have never played Animal Crossing and would hate to see a character from that franchise take away from people that I like but I can understand Nintendo making this decision.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
This post was warned for trolling. Please report questionable posts instead of calling out users for bad behavior. - Venus
Guys, volbound is a troll. Just click the ignore button like I did. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The phrase "it's just a character" is such a weak mindset. You're okay with what happened, losing, imperfection of the ideal Fighter Pass. When you stop getting angry after a character reveal, you've lost twice.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Guys, volbound is a troll. Just click the ignore button like I did. :)
Again, these kind of posts are not helpful. Basically anyone that disagrees with you = troll. I know that I am not alone regarding the opinion about Joker. I am open if people would have reasonable conversations with me.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Curious if Animal Crossing will get a character in this fighter pass. Animal Crossing is quickly becoming one of Nintendo's strongest franchises. I kind of consider it to be the Pokemon of this era. I would say in popularity, it might be #2 after Mario. I have never played Animal Crossing and would hate to see a character from that franchise take away from people that I like but I can understand Nintendo making this decision.
Problem is that the characters that make it a popular game are already in. Animal Crossing’s boom started with New Leaf, whose breakout star got then added to Smash. New Horizons is a popular game too, but with no similar breakout star that could represent it.

volbound1700

Smash Master
The phrase "it's just a character" is such a weak mindset. You're okay with what happened, losing, imperfection of the ideal Fighter Pass. When you stop getting angry after a character reveal, you've lost twice.
Amen... thank you. Basically in this thread, if you say you are not happy with the Fighter Pass, you are called a troll. Even if you have sound arguments. Thank you for your post!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Again, these kind of posts are not helpful. Basically anyone that disagrees with you = troll. I know that I am not alone regarding the opinion about Joker. I am open if people would have reasonable conversations with me.
You have a very bizarre hate boner for the best newcomer in ultimate.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Amen... thank you. Basically in this thread, if you say you are not happy with the Fighter Pass, you are called a troll. Even if you have sound arguments. Thank you for your post!
I think some people just don't understand where you're coming from, or that you're going a bit too far. It could be worthwhile to wonder why your posts are getting that kind of reaction, and not just put it on others.

That said, I get your opinions, though I think that Nintendo doesn't really owe anyone a perfect roster. They get to decide who they put in, and sometimes niche characters make for an interesting surprise.

The fact that they do put joker and some others that not a lot of people asked for shows that they allow themselves that freedom, and as a gamer you're not 'entitled' to have the ideal characters, and someone could even say that it's better to be appreciative that they do care enough to put some that were requested, like BK.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Problem is that the characters that make it a popular game are already in. Animal Crossing’s boom started with New Leaf, whose breakout star got then added to Smash. New Horizons is a popular game too, but with no similar breakout star that could represent it.
Good points. I think this is why Kirby only has 3 characters for example. Outside of that trifecta, the other characters are just minor. I love Kirby and would love to see more representatives but I don't see it happening.

D

Deleted member

ftw your Ninja tweet copypasta is taken unironically

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom