• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Good points. I think this is why Kirby only has 3 characters for example. Outside of that trifecta, the other characters are just minor. I love Kirby and would love to see more representatives but I don't see it happening.
Well, Bandana Dee’s sizeable popularity and requests in the Smash Ballot might give him an edge in that regard. Mario didn‘t stop after the Mario/Luigi/Bowser/Peach quartet and while Zelda sadly didn’t introduce characters outside of the Triforce Trio, I hope Bandana Dee makes the jump since he’s arguably the most important after Dedede and Meta Knight.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Good points. I think this is why Kirby only has 3 characters for example. Outside of that trifecta, the other characters are just minor. I love Kirby and would love to see more representatives but I don't see it happening.
Me too, as you can see on my profile pic. I want Bandana Dee so much!
(Kirby has never gotten a new rep since Brawl and not much modern representation.)
under_a_umbrella_by_alex13art_dct18ug-pre.jpg

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm all for Smash continuing to add niche characters that are hardly requested if it means I can discover more incredible series like Persona and Fatal Fury/KoF.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think some people just don't understand where you're coming from, or that you're going a bit too far. It could be worthwhile to wonder why your posts are getting that kind of reaction, and not just put it on others.

That said, I get your opinions, though I think that Nintendo doesn't really owe anyone a perfect roster. They get to decide who they put in, and sometimes niche characters make for an interesting surprise.

The fact that they do put joker and some others that not a lot of people asked for shows that they allow themselves that freedom, and as a gamer you're not 'entitled' to have the ideal characters, and someone could even say that it's better to be appreciative that they do care enough to put some that were requested, like BK.
I had to wait to respond to avoid double post. Thank you for this post. I guess this is where I am coming from:

I am a major customer of Nintendo and Smash fan. I have the right to vocalize and provide constructive feedback. I disagree that it is just me making this argument. There are a lot of highly demanded characters out there. I will also say that Geno is probably the most wanted character in the Smash Community. Major Youtube fans such as PapaGeno and others continue to say he is the most wanted. The Gamestop leak over this past week is a great example of the attention around him. Crash Bandicoot and Rayman both are mascot characters for major video game companies and have been around for decades. Both would be great additions and add value to the Smash franchise.

As it stands, most of the people that I play with are not that happy with the Fighter Pass. I think part of the problem is that I live in the United States and we have different characters than Japan. Joker maybe huge in Japan but he is a "who?" character here. There just wasn't anyone that "wows" people in the US. The leaks don't help with constant leaks about big name characters being in the game that don't happen. I don't blame Nintendo for catering to Japan, it is their prime market and the US fans are fickle and Microsoft/Sony tend to have a stronger base (or at least media attention) in the US.

Sorry if I sound like a Karen but my opinions are based on what I see in the Smash Community in General as well as this website. You can't deny that the Geno thread and fanbase on this website is large, far larger than Joker's.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I may get trolled on this but I don't care.

I am really getting feed up with Nintendo and Sakurai team for lack of reveals and slow reveals in the character passes. We have gone through over 25% of the time and have only 1 character reveal. I can understand not having the actual characters released due to COVID-19 but we could at least get reveals and hints. The also constant rumors and frustration with the selections is painful too. I wish Nintendo would just drop the full list sometimes to stop all of the divisive speculation.

I also don't understand why Nintendo isn't trying to add popular characters. They did a good job during the base game of finally adding characters we wanted (Simon Belmont, Ridley, and King K Rool). However, the Fighter Passes have ignored this trend (minus perhaps Banjo-Kazooie and Hero). Where is Geno, Rayman, Shantae, Sora, Crash Bandicoot, Waluigi, Dixie Kong, etc.?

Smash is a great game but quicker reviews and less secrecy would actually help the situation.
I agree 100% I’m so tired of companies doing this “we reveal every character every 2 months” BS and just show me what I’m buying. Reveal trailers can still be cool you know?

zferolie

Smash Hero
You must be new here.
Sadly im as ild as can be, i just never learn lol.

I'll just be here expecting Ryza myself, though i know thats a longshot. Whoever we get i bet will be fun and exciting... and I'll also be looking forward to whatever ****storm happens based on whoever gets added

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Amen... thank you. Basically in this thread, if you say you are not happy with the Fighter Pass, you are called a troll. Even if you have sound arguments. Thank you for your post!
Just letting you know that the post you are responding to here was a copypasta meant to make fun of the message it was conveying. You seem to have taken it at face value.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well, Bandana Dee’s sizeable popularity and requests in the Smash Ballot might give him an edge in that regard. Mario didn‘t stop after the Mario/Luigi/Bowser/Peach quartet and while Zelda sadly didn’t introduce characters outside of the Triforce Trio, I hope Bandana Dee makes the jump since he’s arguably the most important after Dedede and Meta Knight.
Mario is the biggest franchise in gaming, period. It isn't even close. The Mario Franchise also has spinoffs such as Mario Kart and Mario Party that are more popular than half the gaming series included in Smash. Characters like Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, etc. are mostly known because of the spinoff games. This is why they are in or demanded to be in. Unfortunately, Waddle Dee would get crushed by even obscure Mario characters like Birdo, King Boo, Wiggler, or Waluigi in a general public poll on whether people recognize the characters.

The Sonic series is a little like this as well with Tails, Knuckles, Amy Rose, Shadow, etc. They have a cast of very recognizable characters. However, the Sonic series has suffered from poor quality game releases over the last decade and a half.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I had to wait to respond to avoid double post. Thank you for this post. I guess this is where I am coming from:

I am a major customer of Nintendo and Smash fan. I have the right to vocalize and provide constructive feedback. I disagree that it is just me making this argument. There are a lot of highly demanded characters out there. I will also say that Geno is probably the most wanted character in the Smash Community. Major Youtube fans such as PapaGeno and others continue to say he is the most wanted. The Gamestop leak over this past week is a great example of the attention around him. Crash Bandicoot and Rayman both are mascot characters for major video game companies and have been around for decades. Both would be great additions and add value to the Smash franchise.

As it stands, most of the people that I play with are not that happy with the Fighter Pass. I think part of the problem is that I live in the United States and we have different characters than Japan. Joker maybe huge in Japan but he is a "who?" character here. There just wasn't anyone that "wows" people in the US. The leaks don't help with constant leaks about big name characters being in the game that don't happen. I don't blame Nintendo for catering to Japan, it is their prime market and the US fans are fickle and Microsoft/Sony tend to have a stronger base (or at least media attention) in the US.

Sorry if I sound like a Karen but my opinions are based on what I see in the Smash Community in General as well as this website. You can't deny that the Geno thread and fanbase on this website is large, far larger than Joker's.
Thing is, you’re comparing the biggest character popularity-wise (who might be in Fighter Pass 2) with what according to you is the lowest common denomi in Pass 1. If you weren’t content with Pass 1’s direction I could understand your disappointment, but you said Hero, Terry and Banjo were all good picks, leaving Joker and Byleth. It feels bad sport to me to be so hung up on Joker in particular for not being a quote-unquote better character. It’s like liking a cake, but being mad that the cherry on top isn’t a slice of orange. It feels nitpicky to go after Joker like that, especially when you compare him to the tip of the iceberg of decade-long fan favorites.

EDIT: The comparison of the Mario series to Kirby was moreso me wishing that Kirby did what the Mario series did, not me saying that it was likely.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I agree 100% I’m so tired of companies doing this “we reveal every character every 2 months” BS and just show me what I’m buying. Reveal trailers can still be cool you know?
I'm kinda a bit on the halfway point with that one.

I would be fine with the first half and second half of the passes given both trailers. I really just want something like the Brawl 2006 trailer or the Ken/Incineroar trailer again.

Still...gotta make the most of it.

D

Deleted member

Problem is that the characters that make it a popular game are already in. Animal Crossing’s boom started with New Leaf, whose breakout star got then added to Smash. New Horizons is a popular game too, but with no similar breakout star that could represent it.

Forgetting someone?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It seems pretty clear that characters get added for more than fan demand. Otherwise we'd have never gotten Snake, Bayonetta, Joker, Terry, or Byleth, among others.

I think there are certain aspects of DLC characters that might play a role going forward, but it's hard to say if they will hold true right now. If Geno is added based on fan demand, then he'd be the first "non-protagonist" to be added through DLC. Banjo was the first western origin pick, but is he going to stay an exception or will we get somebody like Crash or Tracer? Does the circumstantial evidence around Dante lead to him as a playable character in Smash, or does it mean nothing? Will another pick be an "upgrade" or are we already done?

Right now, we don't really have any answers. I would like to think that the next fighter will answer SOMETHING, but I'll close with a few ideas.

1) I would suspect we're getting at least one "new" company, whether it's ArcSystemworks or Koei Tecmo, or even another like Level 5 or Marvelous
2) There'll probably be AT LEAST one "hype" or "fan demand" character
3) There'll be AT LEAST TWO 3rd parties

Beyond that, I don't think there's much we can go on. If we get a reveal in the next Direct, and that Direct is tomorrow, the one character that makes "marketing sense" to me, if it's 1st party, is Paper Mario. Game just came out within a week, would still be able to impact sales of the game. If it's 3rd party, my gut says that Dante is in this pass but I don't really know who would be revealed as Fighter 7.

Either way, go into tomorrow with an open mind. Even if it's somebody you didn't want, you might try them out and absolutely LOVE them.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Thing is, you’re comparing the biggest character popularity-wise (who might be in Fighter Pass 2) with what according to you is the lowest common denomi in Pass 1. If you weren’t content with Pass 1’s direction I could understand your disappointment, but you said Hero, Terry and Banjo were all good picks, leaving Joker and Byleth. It feels bad sport to me to be so hung up on Joker in particular for not being a quote-unquote better character. It’s like liking a cake, but being mad that the cherry on top isn’t a slice of orange. It feels nitpicky to go after Joker like that, especially when you compare him to the tip of the iceberg of decade-long fan favorites.
Hey, nothing wrong with a perfectioness. I think the issue is the limited space of new characters. People want to get their characters in. I wouldn't care as much about Joker if we had a big name in that pass such as Doomguy, Crash, Masterchief, Rayman, etc.

I do think Nintendo needs to throw the West a bone like they did with Banjo-Kazooie in the first pass.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I've seen all sorts of people satisfied with the character roster and dlc. And then those who aren't. I'm not satisfied with the FP, but I don't think it's worth being upset and angry at nintendo. I think it's good to give feedback, but besides Byleth, there are quite a lot of people who do like the other characters.
Personally I think Terry didn't feel unique enough compared to Ken to be worth putting in, but I also realize that nintendo's a business and can do what they want. :p Feedback is good to let them know how many people do like or dont like.

I've stopped buying the entire pass, and only going to buy individual characters now. Something i shoudlve done from the start to be able to give better feedback.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I'm kinda a bit on the halfway point with that one.

I would be fine with the first half and second half of the passes given both trailers. I really just want something like the Brawl 2006 trailer or the Ken/Incineroar trailer again.

Still...gotta make the most of it.
I mean like, show us the character renders so we know what we’re buying. Then when the trailer is done, show the reveal trailer for a character and have them released etc. I don’t want a GIANT reveal trailer for the whole pass. (It’d be sweet tho)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Sadly im as ild as can be, i just never learn lol.

I'll just be here expecting Ryza myself, though i know thats a longshot. Whoever we get i bet will be fun and exciting... and I'll also be looking forward to whatever ****storm happens based on whoever gets added
I'll hope for Ryza too with you XD

Would be unpopular pick, but still some people will like her :)

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I mean like, show us the character renders so we know what we’re buying. Then when the trailer is done, show the reveal trailer for a character and have them released etc. I don’t want a GIANT reveal trailer for the whole pass. (It’d be sweet tho)
That way yeah I can see.

I'll hope for Ryza too with you XD

Would be unpopular pick, but still some people will like her :)
Yeah I'm in the boat for hoping for Ryza. Might be the push to the get the game, my money be damned.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm going to be blunt about this.

Persona should have died. It has a boring world with uninteresting characters and the series focuses on the most boring aspects of it's setting. "Oh no, Japan is under attack by Shadows" Like wow, real interesting story telling. If I wanted to play a fun RPG, I'd play Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars because that game allows you to recruit giant turtles, pricesses, a cloud, a plumber and a doll named Geno who can shoot beams from his hand.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I've seen all sorts of people satisfied with the character roster and dlc. And then those who aren't. I'm not satisfied with the FP, but I don't think it's worth being upset and angry at nintendo. I think it's good to give feedback, but besides Byleth, there are quite a lot of people who do like the other characters.
Personally I think Terry didn't feel unique enough compared to Ken to be worth putting in, but I also realize that nintendo's a business and can do what they want. :p Feedback is good to let them know how many people do like or dont like.

I've stopped buying the entire pass, and only going to buy individual characters now. Something i shoudlve done from the start to be able to give better feedback.
Great post. I can agree with that. I just think there isn't a "Wow" character in FP#1. Past third-parties like Snake, Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, Ryu, Cloud, etc. were WOW characters that everyone in US, Europe, Latin America, Japan knew.

The two best WOW characters that Nintendo could get would be Masterchief and Sora. These are characters that would cause the internet to explore, bring new people to the game, and drive sales. To a lesser degree, Steve from Minecraft could do this as well.

Regarding the Terry comment, I am a little biased about getting too many characters from fighter games in general (I don't want Mortal Kombat for example). I loved having a fighting game with platformer heroes like Mario, Link, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, etc. I also didn't know a lot about SNK on a personal level. However, it is a big franchise. Granted it is very similar to Street Fighter and Street Fighter is a stronger franchise. They could have probably gotten a different KOF character that was more unique.

I have to get off now. Thank you to everyone that responded with actual discussion. The discussion started rough but the last several posts have been very good.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm all for Smash continuing to add niche characters that are hardly requested if it means I can discover more incredible series like Persona and Fatal Fury/KoF.
I'm grateful for Shulk being in Smash now after having played Xenoblade Chronicles on Switch. What a story, what a world building, everything about this game had me addicted. I think this is a beautiful thing with Smash. I'm kind of upset how there's characters who's source game I'm too poor to play, as for example Persona and KoF / Fatale Furry, but it'd be a lie if I didn't say I got interested through Smash for their source games.

This is also what's irritating me so much with the Fire Emblem hate, it's a beautiful franchise that am happy to have discovered through Smash Bros., and that's already since before Brawl, I became an avid Ike supporter for Brawl because of it. And it's beautiful franchise, one of my favourite in fact. It's also so easily accessible with Fire Emblem Heroes now, a free mobile game.... And people here STILL REFUSE to give it a shot.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone on here argue facts? Joker wasn't on Nintendo games.
Man I know some people disliked Persona Q2 but to ignore that its a thing and was even a thing in Japan before Joker was announced is bizarre especially when talking about "arguing facts", while I cannot refute the other points this one is kinda weird to mention along the other ones I think.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Great post. I can agree with that. I just think there isn't a "Wow" character in FP#1. Past third-parties like Snake, Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, Ryu, Cloud, etc. were WOW characters that everyone in US, Europe, Latin America, Japan knew.

The two best WOW characters that Nintendo could get would be Masterchief and Sora. These are characters that would cause the internet to explore, bring new people to the game, and drive sales. To a lesser degree, Steve from Minecraft could do this as well.

Regarding the Terry comment, I am a little biased about getting too many characters from fighter games in general (I don't want Mortal Kombat for example). I loved having a fighting game with platformer heroes like Mario, Link, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, etc. I also didn't know a lot about SNK on a personal level. However, it is a big franchise. Granted it is very similar to Street Fighter and Street Fighter is a stronger franchise. They could have probably gotten a different KOF character that was more unique.

I have to get off now. Thank you to everyone that responded with actual discussion. The discussion started rough but the last several posts have been very good.
Banjo returning to Nintendo is huge though. You can't deny that. Many of us 90 kids grew up with Banjo. Don't forget that when Banjo-Kazooie was huge, Smash Bros. also came into existence. It's not a big wonder why Banjo was so often requested. Diddy Kong Racing also had Banjo, and is the one true game that ever could've rivalled Mario Kart and of course had Diddy in there, which attracted many Donkey Kong Country fans, who where also plentiful back then.

Banjo is a huge addition. Sure his franchise went to waste after leaving Nintendo, but you can't deny the impact Banjo-Kazooie had on the N64. It'll be forever remembered as one of the best 3D platformers ever.

Also, Dragon Quest is huge. Especially in Japan.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Thing is, if you rate a pass by its inclusion of these two characters, you’re gonna miss the great and important series and characters that were included, or at least focus your attention to one character that doesn’t match that standard. As you said, the pool of insta-worldwide-colliding hype characters is getting smaller due to the fact they’re in Smash already, but even then Banjo-Kazooie was a top-billing request since Brawl and Dragon Quest is one of the most important series of all time. Punishing a newcomer from a classic series that made waves as GoTY material for not being the most hype character possible feels like unfairly high standards, especially when DLC isn’t done yet.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Man I know some people disliked Persona Q2 but to ignore that its a thing and was even a thing in Japan before Joker was announced is bizarre especially when talking about "arguing facts", while I cannot refute the other points this one is kinda weird to mention along the other ones I think.
It's almost like they are not arguing in good faith and just arbitrarily changing the goal posts.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
natedrake saying on resetera that he doesn't expect any smash news in the rumoured direct

now it's time to perish

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I feel like people prioritize getting new franchises way too much sometimes.

I've never played Atelier, and while I'm sure Ryza would be a fun character, I'd take a second Sonic or Mega Man character over her in a heartbeat. Ryza isn't very iconic, her franchise is somewhat popular at best, and there weren't many people requesting her. Meanwhile there are multiple Sonic characters who check off all three of those boxes: Iconic, hail from a popular franchise, and have a decent following in Smash speculation.

I get that people have been introduced to a lot of good franchises through Smash, but what happens if you're someone who doesn't end up loving the franchise? It's a gamble. That's why I think it'd ultimately be best to focus on characters/franchises that would reliably connect with people and limit the less known and/or less popular ones.

Banjo returning to Nintendo is huge though. You can't deny that. Many of us 90 kids grew up with Banjo. Don't forget that when Banjo-Kazooie was huge, Smash Bros. also came into existence. It's not a big wonder why Banjo was so often requested. Diddy Kong Racing also had Banjo, and is the one true game that ever could've rivalled Mario Kart and of course had Diddy in there, which attracted many Donkey Kong Country fans, who where also plentiful back then.

Banjo is a huge addition. Sure his franchise went to waste after leaving Nintendo, but you can't deny the impact Banjo-Kazooie had on the N64. It'll be forever remembered as one of the best 3D platformers ever.

Also, Dragon Quest is huge. Especially in Japan.
Not only that, but just the fact that Banjo overcame the impossible. Everyone used to say Banjo would never ever get into Smash due to being owned by Microsoft.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't care for Smash news even. Let me see the Breath of the Wild sequel! :ultlink:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh well, lol.

I wonder what the heck they're gonna talk about, then.
inb4 another guessing game but this time it’s a whole ass company (Sega, Capcom, Bamco, Square Enix)

Not only that, but just the fact that Banjo overcame the impossible. Everyone used to say Banjo would never ever get into Smash due to being owned by Microsoft.
tbf Microsoft has been on friendlier terms with Nintendo in the years before Banjo’s reveal. Same can’t be said for Sony

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I didn't know people disliked Q2, I just thought it fell under the radar as it was pretty much the last big release on 3DS.

The Dragon quest heroes were the "Wow!" Characters in the fighter pass.

For Japanese audiences this left a massive splash due to Dragon quest being one of the most popular gaming franchises over there.

And for places like where I live where akira Toriyama franchises left an impact on our childhoods the idea of having characters designed by him joining smash bros also left an impact.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I feel like people prioritize getting new franchises way too much sometimes.

I've never played Atelier, and while I'm sure Ryza would be a fun character, I'd take a second Sonic or Mega Man character over her in a heartbeat. Ryza isn't very iconic, her franchise is somewhat popular at best, and there weren't many people requesting her. Meanwhile there are multiple Sonic characters who check off all three of those boxes: Iconic, hail from a popular franchise, and have a decent following in Smash speculation.

I get that people have been introduced to a lot of good franchises through Smash, but what happens if you're someone who doesn't end up loving the franchise? It's a gamble. That's why I think it'd ultimately be best to focus on characters/franchises that would reliably connect with people and limit the less known and/or less popular ones.
I'm agreeing with this sentiment. Another Sonic character probably should get priority over another SEGA protagonist of a different series. And I'm not even a Sonic fan.

But since we've gotten Echoes of third party characters already, why not give Sonic a second fighter? Could even be a semi clone of Sonic himself. Tails or Knuckles would do well. And these are the only other Sonic characters I'd wish to see. They're classics , can't really exclude them. I think they're missing as much as say, Dixie Kong or Bandana Dee or Impa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom