• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Why are people giving up on the Direct before it's even the deadline?

Just gotta be patient and wait. :dr^_^:
Don't tell me to be patient, I will literally cease to exist if a big corporate doesn't tell me to give them money.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I may get trolled on this but I don't care.

I am really getting feed up with Nintendo and Sakurai team for lack of reveals and slow reveals in the character passes. We have gone through over 25% of the time and have only 1 character reveal. I can understand not having the actual characters released due to COVID-19 but we could at least get reveals and hints. The also constant rumors and frustration with the selections is painful too. I wish Nintendo would just drop the full list sometimes to stop all of the divisive speculation.

I also don't understand why Nintendo isn't trying to add popular characters. They did a good job during the base game of finally adding characters we wanted (Simon Belmont, Ridley, and King K Rool). However, the Fighter Passes have ignored this trend (minus perhaps Banjo-Kazooie and Hero). Where is Geno, Rayman, Shantae, Sora, Crash Bandicoot, Waluigi, Dixie Kong, etc.?

Smash is a great game but quicker reviews and less secrecy would actually help the situation.
Min Min wasn't even a month ago

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If Geno does come with only 2 tracks from his own game, which hopefully doesn't happen, I don't think it'll be that much of a problem considering we already have a LOT of Mario tracks in the game to begin with. Though some more tracks from other Mario RPG titles would definitely be a nice solution.

But hey, all in all, I'm glad for the fact that a lot of people will be happy with his inclusion. It's definitely deserved I feel, granted he has been requested for a very VERY long time.

That is IF he gets in of course. Not really banking on anything yet, and I'd advise for everyone to go into the direct with an open mind and keep their expectations in check.

This is our curse for being European, SNEK... :(
I guess so. :(

As for Geno, your proposal would be a good idea. If we only get 2 Super Mario RPG sons, then getting songs from other Mario RPGs such as Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi would be a nice idea. If I'm not mistaken we've barely songs from these two series in Smash, which is strange.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I am really getting feed up with Nintendo and Sakurai team for lack of reveals and slow reveals in the character passes. We have gone through over 25% of the time and have only 1 character reveal. I can understand not having the actual characters released due to COVID-19 but we could at least get reveals and hints. The also constant rumors and frustration with the selections is painful too. I wish Nintendo would just drop the full list sometimes to stop all of the divisive speculation.

I also don't understand why Nintendo isn't trying to add popular characters. They did a good job during the base game of finally adding characters we wanted (Simon Belmont, Ridley, and King K Rool). However, the Fighter Passes have ignored this trend (minus perhaps Banjo-Kazooie and Hero). Where is Geno, Rayman, Shantae, Sora, Crash Bandicoot, Waluigi, Dixie Kong, etc.?

Smash is a great game but quicker reviews and less secrecy would actually help the situation.
Joker and Byleth were my most wanted characters in the first pass, stop speaking for the entire fanbase.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Min Min wasn't even a month ago
As stated, we are halfway through 2020 right now and we have 1 out of 6 characters. We should have at least 2/6 characters revealed by now if not 3. We really should have 2 released by now.

Joker and Byleth were my most wanted characters in the first pass, stop speaking for the entire fanbase.
Where was the threads, Youtube videos, social media for these characters? I see tons of those for the characters that I listed but I saw none for Byleth or Joker.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
As stated, we are halfway through 2020 right now and we have 1 out of 6 characters. We should have at least 2/6 characters revealed by now if not 3. We really should have 2 released by now.
A global pandemic tends to slow things down a bit.

I'd much rather they take all the time they need to stay safe and deliver us news when it is wise and safe to do so.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Yeah as much as I want to see a character I don’t think we should start demanding that we should have had the second character already by now I mean come on I get we want to see it but seriously

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Honestly, I can wait. Unless I luck out like I did with ARMS, I don't expect the character to be someone I really wanted.

We need holiday 2020 reveals way more than we need Smash reveals.

volbound1700

Smash Master
A global pandemic tends to slow things down a bit.

I'd much rather they take all the time they need to stay safe and deliver us news when it is wise and safe to do so.
Is it so hard to do a reveal like the ARMS reveal or initial Joker reveal? Does it take longer than an hour to get a screenshot of a character or logo of their series? Literally, it would take an hour that someone could do at home to put a reveal together (minus trailer). I can understand a trailer taking time but not a basic reveal.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Is it so hard to do a reveal like the ARMS reveal or initial Joker reveal? Does it take longer than an hour to get a screenshot of a character or logo of their series? Literally, it would take an hour that someone could do at home to put a reveal together (minus trailer). I can understand a trailer taking time but not a basic reveal.
Seeing as how I'm not in their position and have none of the facts and information Nintendo does, I'm not gonna assume what would and would not be "easy" for them right now. Every company has been hit differently by this, some harder than others, so I personally don't feel comfortable asserting what they can and cannot do without knowing what they do.

Video game development is extremely difficult, especially right now.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Where was the threads, Youtube videos, social media for these characters? I see tons of those for the characters that I listed but I saw none for Byleth or Joker.
People going from "we'll never ask anything from Sakurai ever again" to "why Nintendo doesn't care about REAL fans" was expected but I was hoping that it would take more time.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
How are people already done with her, she's like, one of the wackiest additions mechanically we've ever gotten.
In my opinion, Min min just feels kind of one dimensional and the stage is pretty boring. Sure her gimmick is something new but once you look past that, there isn't anything else to her. I was pretty much done with her after beating her Classic mode route.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
I want to share a personal piece of mine regarding Geno. I firmly think that Sora has a unspokenly plausible chance of making it into Ultimate comparitively to Geno simply because of one thing: The Fighter Ballot.

For curiousity's sake, I looked around Youtube to find out if there was any notable support videos for the puppet, and there was a very short minimum that I could find. Even with many of the discussion and prediction videos I watched, Geno was basically almost nonexistent around that time.

Meanwhile with Sora, there were much more support videos and social media posts from the likes of HMK and TheGamersJoint rallying up the KH community for turn in their votes. I can guarantee of this thanks to tehponycorn's excellent Sora essay, there was a signficant amount of fan demand for Sora. And with how 4 of Ultimate's newcomers joined the roster solely because of the ballot, it's given me brightened spirits that the same could potentially happen with Sora as well (well, depending on if he did well enough).

(For the record, I've been really intrigued about Sora being in Smash thanks to SSF2. Based on his potrayal in that fan project, he could make for an exciting character gamplay-wise.)

volbound1700

Smash Master
People going from "we'll never ask anything from Sakurai ever again" to "why Nintendo doesn't care about REAL fans" was expected but I was hoping that it would take more time.
I have never understood the Sakurai deserves rest or don't ask anything from Sakurai argument. I work in Manufacturing, should we give our technical engineers or manufacturing staff a break because they do a good job? I will tell you that I don't get a break even when I achieve exception job performance reviews. Making Smash is his job. He can sit at home and play and develop games. I imagine that many would kill for that job.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yeah Sakurai was such a dunce for including Dragon Quest in Smash instead of real gaming icons like Shantae or Geno
You didn't read my post. I stated that Hero was a VERY POPULAR add and was a good add.

Terry wasn't highly demanded but he was a good add. I would say 3/5 of FP #1 were good adds.

However, if you look at the Smash Community as whole (including this website which is the #1 Smash website in the world), Geno and Shantae are very highly demanded. They finish very high in every Smash Brothers polls. Similar to King K Rool. He isn't a major character overall but was highly demanded among the Smash Community.

You can't deny it. The Geno thread on this website is continually at the top of discussion and even competes with this thread for # of posts and users on it at any time. Shantae is also a very popular thread on here.

You check Youtube, Twitter, Reddit, or any major media outlook that Smash fans regular attend and those characters are highly demanded.

I never saw that kind of support for Byleth or Joker.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
For many, Joker was seen as pipedream character that had little to no chance. I can understand why people didn't go all in on him.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I want to share a personal piece of mine regarding Geno. I firmly think that Sora has a unspokenly plausible chance of making it into Ultimate comparitively to Geno simply because of one thing: The Fighter Ballot.

For curiousity's sake, I looked around Youtube to find out if there was any notable support videos for the puppet, and there was a very short minimum that I could find. Even with many of the discussion and prediction videos I watched, Geno was basically almost nonexistent around that time.

Meanwhile with Sora, there were much more support videos and social media posts from the likes of HMK and TheGamersJoint rallying up the KH community for turn in their votes. I can guarantee of this thanks to tehponycorn's excellent Sora essay, there was a signficant amount of fan demand for Sora. And with how 4 of Ultimate's newcomers joined the roster solely because of the ballot, it's given me brightened spirits that the same could potentially happen with Sora as well (well, depending on if he did well enough).

(For the record, I've been really intrigued about Sora being in Smash thanks to SSF2. Based on his potrayal in that fan project, he could make for an exciting character gamplay-wise.)
I will agree with this that Sora > Geno in nearly every form of media and would be a better pick.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
In my opinion, Min min just feels kind of one dimensional and the stage is pretty boring. Sure her gimmick is something new but once you look past that, there isn't anything else to her. I was pretty much done with her after beating her Classic mode route.
Personally, I feel like Min Min is one of the most unique DLC characters so far. Not sure how many people would agree with me, but she feels less one-dimensional than the characters before her.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
You didn't read my post. I stated that Hero was a VERY POPULAR add and was a good add.

Terry wasn't highly demanded but he was a good add. I would say 3/5 of FP #1 were good adds.

However, if you look at the Smash Community as whole (including this website which is the #1 Smash website in the world), Geno and Shantae are very highly demanded. They finish very high in every Smash Brothers polls. Similar to King K Rool. He isn't a major character overall but was highly demanded among the Smash Community.

You can't deny it. The Geno thread on this website is continually at the top of discussion and even competes with this thread for # of posts and users on it at any time. Shantae is also a very popular thread on here.

You check Youtube, Twitter, Reddit, or any major media outlook that Smash fans regular attend and those characters are highly demanded.

I never saw that kind of support for Byleth or Joker.
Right, but that doesn’t make them bad picks, and this Fighters Pass doesn’t depend on the inclusion of Geno or Shantae.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Also to add to my Joker argument, his games are NOT even on Nintendo systems. Nintendo couldn't even negotiate to get Persona 5 on the Switch based on his reveal.

Meanwhile, games from characters like Doomguy, Rayman, and Crash are popping up all over the Switch. Why not show loyalty to the companies that are supporting your console and add their characters.

Wasn't Skyrim and Rayman Legends two of the games that were a part of the Switch's launch?

I also think Joker's moveset is trash. I will say that I do like the level. It is a decent size and the stage hazards aren't too annoying.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Also to add to my Joker argument, his games are NOT even on Nintendo systems. Nintendo couldn't even negotiate to get Persona 5 on the Switch based on his reveal.

Meanwhile, games from characters like Doomguy, Rayman, and Crash are popping up all over the Switch. Why not show loyalty to the companies that are supporting your console and add their characters.

Wasn't Skyrim and Rayman Legends two of the games that were a part of the Switch's launch?
Thise game developers are just doing their jobs though, no need to pat em on the back with a Smash characters. Business can happen without it having an effect on the Smash roster. Picking on Joker and Byleth specifically seems nitpicky, considering they hail from games that were GoTY material.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I also think Joker's moveset is trash. I will say that I do like the level. It is a decent size and the stage hazards aren't too annoying.
Please stop mentioning Crash because I don't want him associated with bad takes.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
While not mainseries titles, Persona Q, Persona Q2 and Persona 5 Strikers have all been Nintendo systems, with the latter even being on the Switch

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

- Talks about popular characters
- Mentions Geno and Shantae

I mean, nothing against these two, but these two aren't precisely super popular outside of Smash circles, specially Geno.

Also, a lot of times we get that kind of characters that "I didn't know I wanted until they added them". Simply put, there are characters that aren't much discussed for multiple reasons, and Joker for example was one of these, mostly because no one thought he had a chance, myself included. I never considered a Persona character despite being a fan of the series and Smash, probably because my brain didn't even thought it was possible.

In any case. there are a lot of popular names beyond the ones you've listed.
Nintendo will add whoever they want, that's obvious, and while who knows what we will get further in the pass, I'm okay with that. To put it in a way, I prefer some variety, because I'd be a bit bored with a pass full of "popular characters", or the ones that are popular according to you.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I always had a suspicion that Geno was gonna be the next reveal, mainly because everything during the DLC cycle has been deconfirmations of my most wanted characters or characters I don't care that much about getting in. Geno getting in kinda continues that cycle for me so it makes sense.

M@R!3

Smash Ace

Okay, but what does any of that have to do with Geno? If Geno gets in it shouldn't have any impact on Sora's chances and vice versa.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Thise game developers are just doing their jobs though, no need to pat em on the back with a Smash characters. Business can happen without it having an effect on the Smash roster. Picking on Joker and Byleth specifically seems nitpicky, considering they hail from games that were GoTY material.
Both characters are very obscure in the entirety of gaming. You can't argue that they are as popular or wanted as Crash Bandicoot, Doom guy, Ryu Hayabusa, or Rayman. There are even 1st party characters like Dixie Kong and Waluigi that are more popular and more deserved than these characters.

I do think Byleth was hurt by the just sheer number of Fire Emblem characters in the game. (There are more FE characters than Legend of Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong, and Animal Crossing which are all more popular and iconic series than FE).

Smash fans have a reason to be upset as iconic characters like Doom Guy or Rayman are being shut out or Joker. There are only so many spots available. Not to mention Piranha Plant was an odd addition. Geno should have taken Piranha Plant's addition.

- Talks about popular characters
- Mentions Geno and Shantae

I mean, nothing against these two, but these two aren't precisely super popular outside of Smash circles, specially Geno.

Also, a lot of times we get that kind of characters that "I didn't know I wanted until they added them". Simply put, there are characters that aren't much discussed for multiple reasons, and Joker for example was one of these, mostly because no one thought he had a chance, myself included. I never considered a Persona character despite being a fan of the series and Smash, probably because my brain didn't even thought it was possible.

In any case. there are a lot of popular names beyond the ones you've listed.
Nintendo will add whoever they want, that's obvious, and while who knows what we will get further in the pass, I'm okay with that. To put it in a way, I prefer some variety, because I'd be a bit bored with a pass full of "popular characters", or the ones that are popular according to you.
You clearly did not read my first post. I stated why don't they pick characters that are popular among the Smash fan base. I reference Ridley and K Rool as great adds in the base game. Neither are popular in mainstream but were highly popular in the community.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Both characters are very obscure in the entirety of gaming. You can't argue that they are as popular or wanted as Crash Bandicoot, Doom guy, Ryu Hayabusa, or Rayman. There are even 1st party characters like Dixie Kong and Waluigi that are more popular and more deserved than these characters.

I do think Byleth was hurt by the just sheer number of Fire Emblem characters in the game. (There are more FE characters than Legend of Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong, and Animal Crossing which are all more popular and iconic series than FE).

Smash fans have a reason to be upset as iconic characters like Doom Guy or Rayman are being shut out or Joker. There are only so many spots available. Not to mention Piranha Plant was an odd addition. Geno should have taken Piranha Plant's addition.
You’re right they should’ve added Geno instead of these characters that are obscure in the entirety of gaming

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Man, today's wild.

First two people come out of nowhere and apparently hint that Geno is next.
Then, after a background check, it turns out that hey, they really might just have legit information.
Cue a discussion on potential reactions here about Geno really making it in after all.
Then it turns out that people in the Geno thread just jumped to conclusions based on statements that were just wishing good luck?

And all this while we don't even have any official confirmation of a Nintendo Direct actually happening tomorrow.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

So you're one of those that goes by "deserving" metrics and all and basically decides who's iconic or popular. Okay. Good to know lol

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Y’all

fr, don’t feed the troll. Just ignore and report them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom