• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Whatever you think of Geno inclusion, if he get in on Monday, I think anyone can appreciate the fact, no matter how old or irrelevant a character can be, with enough long lasting support and patience, any character can truly get in. Well, if they come from a video game atleast.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'm more interested in what Geno would mean for the rest of the pass, honestly. He might be the Ridley or Banjo of the Pass (meaning the rest might be more traditional promotion/company tie building picks). The entire Pass might be "Last Call for Smash!" and have a bunch of characters get in who narrowly missed out in the past (meaning Rex is an obvious inclusion alongside ARMS, and we get Travis or some other character a dev has asked for again and again). Assuming he gets in at all.

I do appreciate him as an acknowledgement for long-lived fan demand and I can see his gimmick being novel ('timed hits' that change certain aspects of his attacks). I think I'll like his associated content more than Minmin's stuff too.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
If Master Chief did get in, Would he come with Microsoft Costumes or none like Banjo?

toonito

Smash Ace
for me it'd be bleh if Geno got in since there are several Mario and Square Enix characters I'd rather see playable

as someone who played through SMRPG twice I still fail to see the hype behind him IMO he's a perfect deluxe Mii costume

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
I know the conversation has moved past this, but honestly it doesn't surprise that the common response in the Geno thread to the "Gamestop leak" being a simple slip of the tongue is people plugging their ears. I'm sure most Geno fans aren't bad but most often than not whenever I peaked at the thread there was always those few users that show to suffer from a severe lack of self awareness.

Like some months ago the began to randomly accuse Reimu fans and KOS-MOS fans to have carried out a "fake alliance" born from the Drunk Cat leak featuring both of their characters and that the two fanbase didn't really care for each other... even though they were the ones that have been meming about Cacomallow for months. And when this hypocrisy was rightfully brought up the response from those same individuals was "Who cares, at least our leak is real!".

Like I said, I concede that not all regulars of that thread are like that and that support threads turning into unpleasant echo chambers is nothing new to this site, but i can't shake the feeling that the Geno thread is the perfect embodiment of all the things wrong with this aspect of the Smash community.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Konami: I think after the Tekken mii costume I dont think tekken is in. So that leaves Nightmare honestly as the big man running the front of who might make it.
Tekken and Soul Calibur are Namco properties. Not Konami.

For Konami you could draw from Metal Gear, Castlevania, Silent Hill, Frogger, Bloody Roar, Bomberman, Contra, etc

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
It’s weird to imagine speculation without the Geno fanbase, but it’ll sure be interesting to see if their efforts pay off. Too bad speculation has been so continuous, would‘ve loved to see a breather and some kind of collective reflection on a speculation scene without Ridley and K. Rool post-base game, for example.
Weird how post-FP2, the scene will definitely fall into a void. Maybe then we will have a moment of “Where do we go from here”

And then we talk about cuts because that’s how speculation rolls.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
for me it'd be bleh if Geno got in since there are several Mario and Square Enix characters I'd rather see playable

as someone who played through SMRPG twice I still fail to see the hype behind him IMO he's a perfect deluxe Mii costume
He was the first "cool guy" anime character that many people got to experience in childhood because of Mario rpg being a great entry level rpg. That's why there's so much hype behind him.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Geno is as "meh" as they come for me: Kinda decent design, kinda bland personality.

But his fanbase makes it so hard for me to just be happy for his fans. Doesn't help that his game already have most of his playable cast in Smash so the new content he can bring doesn't really excite me.
understandable

i guess a notable thing about geno's potential inclusion would be that at least to me, it would sorta feel like it's all over.

i don't mean the whole "geno is the last fan request" thing. i mean moreso that geno has been the root of so many debates, arguments, common talking points, strawmen and everything inbetween during my time on this thread (both lurking and actually posting) that him actually getting in would sorta give off this feeling of peace to me, even though we still have more characters to go, geno getting in would feel like a major part of speculation (and a major source of all the vitriol in speculation at that) has ended.

like the countless debates about his relevancy and whatnot would be over, all the geno thread shenanigans would be over, etc.....

anyway if we're gonna latch onto another one-off character from a mario rpg, then count bleck gang let's ****ing go

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
Assuming Geno is in and this isn’t a bunch of hot air, try to keep an open mind and reserve judgement until you actually see him in action.

I’ve got a friend who actively didn’t want Ridley to get in out of vindication. He is currently a Ridley main. Gut reactions and interactions with fanbases don’t really matter in the end.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
understandable

i guess a notable thing about geno's potential inclusion would be that at least to me, it would sorta feel like it's all over.

i don't mean the whole "geno is the last fan request" thing. i mean moreso that geno has been the root of so many debates, arguments, common talking points, strawmen and everything inbetween during my time on this thread (both lurking and actually posting) that him actually getting in would sorta give off this feeling of peace to me, even though we still have more characters to go, geno getting in would feel like a major part of speculation (and a major source of all the vitriol in speculation at that) has ended.

like the countless debates about his relevancy and whatnot would be over, all the geno thread shenanigans would be over, etc.....

anyway if we're gonna latch onto another one-off character from a mario rpg, then count bleck gang let's ****ing go
People will move on to another character to support/pick apart - they did that pretty quickly after the Ridley reveal.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Kind of weird how no other fanbase has been inspired by the Geno fanbase to start **** for a conventionally unimportant character. I know speculation isn’t supposed to be fun but I’m kinda disappointed that there’s no support for the Rabbit from Mario 64 or Funky Flame Runner

7NATOR

Smash Master
Kind of weird how no other fanbase has been inspired by the Geno fanbase to start **** for a conventionally unimportant character. I know speculation isn’t supposed to be fun but I’m kinda disappointed that there’s no support for the Rabbit from Mario 64 or Funky Flame Runner
I Think Geno is a situation that probably won't happen for at least a few decades. He's lucky that his support started during times where 3rd parties weren't in the equation, and especially lucky Sakurai has a liking to him. I Say if Sakurai didn't have a liking to Geno his support would have died around Smash 4 (His support thing was low in comparison to now until the Costume came)

I don't think the same could be said for characters that have similar roles to Geno. Plus the pond is so big now that, well you know

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
People will move on to another character to support/pick apart - they did that pretty quickly after the Ridley reveal.
not for some of the geno fandom. Most Ive seen said they are gonna drop out completly if he gets in. Really, all. I want are for the passive agressive one(s) constantly talking **** about the Sora Fandom to say sorry. I dont really care if he gets in, just means I save money. Because as much as they like to say Sora is Disney, they sure feel like Sora is Genos rival for some damn reason and they use the "Disney" card a lot to put themselves on higher ground

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Wow, wasn't expecting so much to go down while I slept.

So some supposed leaker said to have fun with the direct in the geno thread huh? I mean, it could mean its Geno for smash. it could turn out to be just a remaster or Mario RPG instead, or it could be nothing. I am not going to expect anything till I actually see it. I think thats what we all should do.

As for Geno, I would be happy for him, mostly for his fans. It alsp kinda works with my current theory that its POSSIBLE that this pass is all upgrades, no new series not in smash yet. Geno would be our second Spirit upgrade.

How would you guys feel about a full upgrade pass? I think it would be pheasble, as it probably a bit cheaper for Nintendo since they have the foot in the door with any third parties already, plus I think this would be great for fans as well, as its all characters that get a second shot. Granted there are a bunch of characters I want that wouldn't fit this idea, like Crash and Reimu, but I would still be happy with it, and there are PLENTY of characters that could be upgraded to still keep speculations open.

If it was a full upgrade pass, here is how I would like to see it go down.

1. Min Min

2. Geno

3. Shantae

4. Rex and Pyra

5. Rayman

6. Isaac

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
let me guess. You read thst from the geno thread
All I got from the Geno thread is someone from Gamestop "made an oopsie".

I'm more interested in what Geno would mean for the rest of the pass, honestly. He might be the Ridley or Banjo of the Pass (meaning the rest might be more traditional promotion/company tie building picks). The entire Pass might be "Last Call for Smash!" and have a bunch of characters get in who narrowly missed out in the past (meaning Rex is an obvious inclusion alongside ARMS, and we get Travis or some other character a dev has asked for again and again). Assuming he gets in at all.

I do appreciate him as an acknowledgement for long-lived fan demand and I can see his gimmick being novel ('timed hits' that change certain aspects of his attacks). I think I'll like his associated content more than Minmin's stuff too.
I don't think Geno being a spirit will set the standards for the pass (If he does get in that is). I'm thinking more that this pass will settle for characters from smaller companies or games funded by Nintendo. Sakurai said back in the famitsu column when he talked about Fighter Pass 2 that "these characters are just extras" which could mean that Nintendo will most likely choose cheaper characters just to wrap up the pass and move on.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I hope Fawful becomes the new ridiculous character that gains legendary support through nostalgia
I’d say BanDee would rise up in his place. & Tbf, if we got Geno despite Nintendo having to ask Square for him then there’s no excuse for BanDee.

If Master Chief did get in, Would he come with Microsoft Costumes or none like Banjo?
Maybe Chief is why Banjo didn’t bring any MS costumes? It is weird that despite how easy MS was to work with that they didn’t get any Mii costumes. Mumbo Jumno & Grunty should’ve been costumes.

Chief should bring: Arbiter, Joanna Dark, Marcus Fenix, Conker & a premium Ori costume with him.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I’d say BanDee would rise up in his place. & Tbf, if we got Geno despite Nintendo having to ask Square for him then there’s no excuse for BanDee.

Maybe Chief is why Banjo didn’t bring any MS costumes? It is weird that despite how easy MS was to work with that they didn’t get any Mii costumes. Mumbo Jumno & Grunty should’ve been costumes.

Chief should bring: Arbiter, Joanna Dark, Marcus Fenix, Conker & a premium Ori costume with him.
Bandana Dee....actually appears in games though. I’m not talking about the most supported character, I’m talking about the unique situation of Geno not being particularily important gaming-wise but forcing his way in convo through bull-headed popularity.
Bandana Dee is more like Ridley or K. Rool, a popular and important character that has One Big Debate around them (Too Big and Irrelevant to Hat Goomba)

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Wow, wasn't expecting so much to go down while I slept.

So some supposed leaker said to have fun with the direct in the geno thread huh? I mean, it could mean its Geno for smash. it could turn out to be just a remaster or Mario RPG instead, or it could be nothing. I am not going to expect anything till I actually see it. I think thats what we all should do.

As for Geno, I would be happy for him, mostly for his fans. It alsp kinda works with my current theory that its POSSIBLE that this pass is all upgrades, no new series not in smash yet. Geno would be our second Spirit upgrade.

How would you guys feel about a full upgrade pass? I think it would be pheasble, as it probably a bit cheaper for Nintendo since they have the foot in the door with any third parties already, plus I think this would be great for fans as well, as its all characters that get a second shot. Granted there are a bunch of characters I want that wouldn't fit this idea, like Crash and Reimu, but I would still be happy with it, and there are PLENTY of characters that could be upgraded to still keep speculations open.

If it was a full upgrade pass, here is how I would like to see it go down.

1. Min Min

2. Geno

3. Shantae

4. Rex and Pyra

5. Rayman

6. Isaac
If Fighters Pass 2 ends up being a "second chance" pass for some characters that were passed up the first (base game) and second (Fighters Pass 1) time, you won't be hearing any complaints from me...
  1. Min Min
  2. Geno
  3. Isaac
  4. Rex & Pyra
  5. Dixie Kong
  6. Waluigi

7NATOR

Smash Master
I don't think Geno being a spirit will set the standards for the pass (If he does get in that is). I'm thinking more that this pass will settle for characters from smaller companies or games funded by Nintendo. Sakurai said back in the famitsu column when he talked about Fighter Pass 2 that "these characters are just extras" which could mean that Nintendo will most likely choose cheaper characters just to wrap up the pass and move on.
To be fair, Wouldn't characters already in the game in some form be cheaper to get? not saying that's the direction they are gonna go with

But Cheaper characters + Characters Considered "Extras" Could be used to argue in favor of more upgrades and such

D

Deleted member

More rumors and leakers for this supposed direct dropping tomorrow that Nintendo has said absolutely nothing on? You all sure you're not jumping the gun again like with the Grinch leak?

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wait, what happened while I was gone?
Appearently, two users on this site who might have insider knowledge left a hint that boils down to "he's in" on the Geno thread.

Take it with a grain of salt but we might see Geno as the next reveal.

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
I think that Geno could be a great Mii costume.
I would prefer a lot of other characters to him, but if he is the next character I won't go mad. I'm just neutral at this point.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
To be fair, Wouldn't characters already in the game in some form be cheaper to get? not saying that's the direction they are gonna go with

But Cheaper characters + Characters Considered "Extras" Could be used to argue in favor of more upgrades and such
What I'm saying is that it probably won't just include spirit upgrades but also characters who haven't appeared in the game yet.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Assuming Geno's getting in, I think one of the best things about this is (assuming he's received well) it's a great opportunity to show that Nintendo's higher-ups that it's okay to deviate from Mario's core cast and enemies in weird ways. It doesn't dissolve the brand and people like seeing new things in Mario.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Appearently, two users on this site who might have insider knowledge left a hint that boils down to "he's in" on the Geno thread.

Take it with a grain of salt but we might see Geno as the next reveal.
Huh.

That's...an unexpected plot twist.

Tomorrow is gonna be a wild ride no matter what happens now. We're either getting one fandom's massive celebration, or the meltdown of the century.

Hoo boy.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Boy won't it be embarassing if there's NO Smash news? Good thing insiders are never wrong and always right.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Huh.

That's...an unexpected plot twist.

Tomorrow is gonna be a wild ride no matter what happens now. We're either getting one fandom's massive celebration, or the meltdown of the century.

Hoo boy.
And that potential celebration isn’t even limited to Geno‘s fandom. So whoever gets into CP7, people will be angry because it’s not Geno.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
My opinion on Geno's inclusion went from "Yeah, he would be cool" to "I need this to happen" after reading the TOK interview. This is the chance to show Nintendo how Mario RPG's original characters and storylines left an impact people still remember even to this day. They were not some inconvenience that distracted from the Mario universe - they were part of the reason what made those game so darn good.

Edit:
Assuming Geno's getting in, I think one of the best things about this is (assuming he's received well) it's a great opportunity to show that Nintendo's higher-ups that it's okay to deviate from Mario's core cast and enemies in weird ways. It doesn't dissolve the brand and people like seeing new things in Mario.
Ahaha, guess you were faster than me. :drsad:

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
A bit sad I missed the important stuff while sleeping... I curse the timezones, missed my wholesome Yakuza talk!

But on more serious matters, all the hints towards Geno make me a bit more confident towards his inclusion. I don't have any attachment to the character, but I'm really interested as to what he will bring. I'm a big fan of the OST too, but knowing Square Enix... Well let's just say I hope we get at least more than only 2 tracks of SMRPG, but I'm not banking on it.

If he does get in tomorrow, I'm glad for all the Geno fans. Just like Banjo&Kazooie, his inclusion will mark the end of one of the biggest speculation eras.

But oooh boyy, if he doesn't get in, the biggest storm will ensue...

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
But on more serious matters, all the hints towards Geno make me a bit more confident towards his inclusion. I don't have any attachment to the character, but I'm really interested as to what he will bring. I'm a big fan of the OST too, but knowing Square Enix... Well let's just say I hope we get at least more than 2 tracks of SMRPG, but I'm not banking on it.
yoko shimomura is already part of the smash music team so i think we're good in that regard

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I hope the Geno mii costume comes back with Geno. Then we can play as Geno and fight against a spirit of Geno while a mii costume of Geno fights you while you equip Geno's spirit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom