• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
View attachment 279283 (65'07''/20 m tall)
I would say that Eternatus is too big to be playable, but SWSH itself didn't much concern itself with size, so it should be fine.
I support the lovecraftian Pokemon covered in old god blades!

Granted, it is still second to Falinks in my heart.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
My issue with a Gen VIII Pokémon is twofold. Sword and Shield themselves are the first mainline generation starting games that I haven't bought since I got into Pokémon due to how poorly done I think they are, and the Mons I really like from Gen VIII are among the least likely to be chosen. The only popular request from them that does anything for me is Rillaboom, and even then there are so many other characters I'd prefer, from Pokémon and beyond.

All in all, while Pokémon is one of my favorite franchises, I've never been too keen on how it's portrayed in Smash most of the time.
I actually got Sword and Shield (the only mainline entry I didn't get to this day are the Let's Go games because of how shallow they seemed to me), but I honestly agree. They were extremely lackluster games, and thus far I've also held off on getting the DLC because I want to get both at once so that there's some actual substantial new amount. And while I think that this expansion pass way of handling a third version isn't too bad, I still seriously doubt that it'll fix any of the games' major issues.
So yeah, not exactly keen on a Gen 8 Pokémon as Smash DLC either.

I still think it's a little suspect that there was never a spirit event for PMD. It's probably the bias talking, but still.
I mean, Smash has never really cared much for Pokémon spin-offs other than Snap. Heck, Smash seems to care more about the anime than the spin-off games.
What Spirits would they even pick for Rescue Team DX? Team ACT and Team Meanies I could see, but. . . who else?

Quick poll for the thread. Now that we're well into the day and there's no sign of Nintendo announcing a Direct, what do y'all think the chances are that we'll still get one tomorrow?

Personally, I'm still choosing to believe. Nintendo seems to really like shadowdropping stuff these days, or announcing things outta the blue.
Probably a shadowdropped Mini.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Quick poll for the thread. Now that we're well into the day and there's no sign of Nintendo announcing a Direct, what do y'all think the chances are that we'll still get one tomorrow?

Personally, I'm still choosing to believe. Nintendo seems to really like shadowdropping stuff these days, or announcing things outta the blue.
I still think we'll get a direct tomorrow or at the very least this week. After Origami King has released there is literally nothing on Nintendo's schedule and they have a meeting with investors during the first week of August. They are pretty much forced to spell some beans about their plans unless they don't mind looking like clowns during the investors meeting.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I mean, Smash has never really cared much for Pokémon spin-offs other than Snap. Heck, Smash seems to care more about the anime than the spin-off games.
What Spirits would they even pick for Rescue Team DX? Team ACT and Team Meanies I could see, but. . . who else?
I'd opt for a few starters but with the bandannas on.
Not really exciting but it's there. To draw from other games there's Primal Dialga and Wigglytuff + Chatot.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
A new Pokemon character wouldn't disappoint me necessarily. It all depends on how they play. I actually really enjoy playing Incineroar for fun and, actually, well most of the Pokemon now that I think of it. So I guess if they make them fun I won't mind.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I actually got Sword and Shield (the only mainline entry I didn't get to this day are the Let's Go games because of how shallow they seemed to me), but I honestly agree. They were extremely lackluster games, and thus far I've also held off on getting the DLC because I want to get both at once so that there's some actual substantial new amount. And while I think that this expansion pass way of handling a third version isn't too bad, I still seriously doubt that it'll fix any of the games' major issues.
So yeah, not exactly keen on a Gen 8 Pokémon as Smash DLC either.

the Protagonist + Partner
Pelliper
Keckleon
Gengar

volbound1700

Smash Master
Banjo returning to Nintendo is huge though. You can't deny that. Many of us 90 kids grew up with Banjo. Don't forget that when Banjo-Kazooie was huge, Smash Bros. also came into existence. It's not a big wonder why Banjo was so often requested. Diddy Kong Racing also had Banjo, and is the one true game that ever could've rivalled Mario Kart and of course had Diddy in there, which attracted many Donkey Kong Country fans, who where also plentiful back then.

Banjo is a huge addition. Sure his franchise went to waste after leaving Nintendo, but you can't deny the impact Banjo-Kazooie had on the N64. It'll be forever remembered as one of the best 3D platformers ever.

Also, Dragon Quest is huge. Especially in Japan.
Sorry if I came off as not saying Banjo wasn't big. It was HUGE for the Smash fanbase and was the only really FP#1 character that I got hyped about. He fits in well with Smash.

My point is that Banjo isn't that big with the younger audience today... he is a lot like Geno honestly. (In fact he was more popular than Geno before Geno's addition. I think Geno is probably the most wanted character on Smashboards since Banjo was added).

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
What do you guys think is the most likely Gen 8 Pokemon?
The Starters overall are a safe choice. Highly promoted, have archetypes that can be fun to implement into the game, and if popularity plays a factor Inteleon and Cinderace have high popularity within the fanbase overall (Inteleon more so in Japan, but it still has a dedicated fanbase in the west).

Legendaries are also options for similar reasons, though with them there's the debate of what the DLC spirits mean for them (and a Gen 8 Pokemon as a whole, but the legendaries in particular get it the most).

Toxtricity and Dragapult are also options due to their high popularity, and Toxtricity is one of the Pokemon that does get some promotion outside of the Starters and Legendaries.

I still believe it due to the leakers behind it, though I'm leaning more towards a Mini at this point.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
If we get another Pokemon rep then I'm still hoping by somewhat unlikely chance we get Inteleon.

Personally I think he has the most potential/material to work with compared to Cinderace and Rillaboom.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I still think we'll get a direct tomorrow or at the very least this week. After Origami King has released there is literally nothing on Nintendo's schedule and they have a meeting with investors during the first week of August. They are pretty much forced to spell some beans about their plans unless they don't mind looking like clowns during the investors meeting.
(Investors meeting begins)

"So... what can we expect from Nintendo in the next semester?"

"..."

"Uh... I asked if-"

(Insert stock awkward coughing sounds)

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
While I'm not huge on the idea of a Sword/Shield Pokemon as DLC, it being the 11th character from the series isn't one of my major concerns. We're talking about the world's biggest media franchise with 896 separate playable characters across the entire series. When you're that large and have that many characters, getting 11 characters in Smash doesn't seem super unreasonable.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I didn't know people disliked Q2, I just thought it fell under the radar as it was pretty much the last big release on 3DS.

The Dragon quest heroes were the "Wow!" Characters in the fighter pass.

For Japanese audiences this left a massive splash due to Dragon quest being one of the most popular gaming franchises over there.

And for places like where I live where akira Toriyama franchises left an impact on our childhoods the idea of having characters designed by him joining smash bros also left an impact.
I can see that for the Japanese audience, definitely. The WOW for the United States was Banjo. However, neither would be as big of a WOW as Sora or Masterchief.

Overtime, Hero has become my favorite character from FP#1 (with Banjo a very close 2nd). I even got Dragon Quest 12.

Sonic has probably been the biggest WOW character to date (Snake comes close because of his inclusion opening the door to 3rd party). Banjo and Megaman are also memorable and deserved to be mentioned as WOW characters as well.

I can see the point people make, we did get 2/5 characters being WOW characters to some degree, especially Banjo for US audiences.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

66 % on this happening in some form next week, The lacking (announced) schedule for Nintendo is something that they'll have to adress sooner or later.

While Nintendo do not truly compete with Sony nor Microsoft, the PS5's / XSX's upcoming launches are still a factor here. And sure, Nintendo can't "compete" with shiny new futuristic plastic boxes and fridges (heh), but if Nintendo doesn't have an announced Holiday 2020 lineup people will start asking questions. Better to have at least some high profile games in the limelight.

The upcoming shareholders' meeting makes the "Holiday 2020" question relevant, since shareholders generally care a lot about that.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The Starter Group as mentioned before, plus Gardevoir, Kecleon, and maybe Xatu. Those alongside the teams would make a good six spirits for an event.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
The only gen 8 Pokemon I'd be somewhat okay with is Baboom Rillaboom, and that's mostly just for the memes.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

honestly i see two scenarios at this point

1: a shadowdropped mini, which could still be pretty meaty considering the last mini had 30 minutes and this one would probably have whatever supposed e3 things they still hadn't announced

2. the funny leaker men somehow got it all wrong and the 20th was actually an announcement for a full-fledged one later this week

regardless, i think we're getting something direct-related tomorrow

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Ephraim's a mary sue who doesn't have to develop at all, his defining trait is being super strong at battle and his only flaw that he has to live with is being so cool he made the villains jealous. This is not hyperbolic for the record
That’s his basic character and I love it. It’s pretty funny how you described it, I like it! The other FE characters I like are Leif, Seliph, Finn, Priam, Osian, and Dorothy.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
First of all, 8 is smaller than 11, especially as 2 of those characters were made in like 5 minutes

Second, I'm not pretending people are being too unfair for not thinking an FE character is a shoe-in, you get upset when people don't agree Pokemon needs another character

Third, I don't constantly bring up FE, only when it's relevant, and even then, it's not "Guys it needs another character I swear it'll die otherwise", you're the reason it gets brought up a good 90% of the time

Fourth, I don't claim people are gatekeeping when they say they don't want another FE character, you've done so with Pokemon multiple times
Gwen, it was only a few hours ago when you felt the need to randomly remind the thread that FE has been selling better than Kirby and Sonic. There was no real reason to do so, but you did it anyway. Now you're trying to pretend like I'm the only one with a strong bias for a franchise I like?

Obviously you like FE, and you clearly get very protective when anyone complains about Byleth. Despite this, you don't see an issue with belittling those who want another Pokemon? "Too many FE characters!" is wrong, but "Too many Pokemon!" is right?

If you want more people to be respectful of Byleth and FE as a whole, might I suggest giving people who want Pokemon #11 the same amount of respect that you would want? Otherwise, you're being hypocritical, and I'm not sure why you'd be so baffled as to why users like me clash with you so often.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
My opinions on a new Pokémon rep remain the same

**** Gen 8

All my homies hate Gen 8

Kelios doubling down and King Zell coming in to confirm it has me pretty sure we’ll get something, probably a Mini.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wouldn't mind a Pokemon character it they quit it with the promotion and just gave us a popular character proven to be liked to by people for more than a fleeting moment, like Gengar or Scizor or Gardevoir or Blaziken or whoever.

I'd also accept Sirfetch'd, cause he's the real mvp.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Honestly though “Pokémon in Smash” speculation peaked pre-Smash 4, a Wild West where some considered Tyrantrum an actual contender. We’ll never get that kind of glorious, misguided hope again, unfortunately. Greninja knocked the wind out of our sails, and we’ll never get that back.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I wouldn't mind a Pokemon character it they quit it with the promotion and just gave us a popular character proven to be liked to by people for more than a fleeting moment
You say that knowing damn well what company's choosing the characters here.

Greninja and Incineroar becoming popular after the fact as a justification of their initial Smash inclusion is like my dumbass self going "Yeah but Three Houses was good tho" to try and rebuke Byleth being an ad despite the fact that he, like Greninja and Incineroar, were ****ing ads chosen prior to the games' success at the end of the day.

And people don't even hate Incineroar because of Pokemon, they hated him because he debunked Grinch leak. :nifty:

I'd take Sirfetch'd, he's right up there with Baboom and Galarian Weezing in my "I wouldn't be mad" category.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Honestly though “Pokémon in Smash” speculation peaked pre-Smash 4, a Wild West where some considered Tyrantrum an actual contender. Greninja knocked the wind out of our sails, and we’ll never get that back.
I didn't know that actually happened to be honest.

But yeah, it's probably a thousand-to-one shot that the rumors aren't true and if I'm right, we're probably going to be waiting a little longer.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Gwen, it was only a few hours ago when you felt the need to randomly remind the thread that FE has been selling better than Kirby and Sonic. There was no real reason to do so, but you did it anyway. Now you're trying to pretend like I'm the only one with a strong bias for a franchise I like?

Obviously you like FE, and you clearly get very protective when anyone complains about Byleth. Despite this, you don't see an issue with belittling those who want another Pokemon? "Too many FE characters!" is wrong, but "Too many Pokemon!" is right?

If you want more people to be respectful of Byleth and FE as a whole, might I suggest giving people who want Pokemon #11 the same amount of respect that you would want? Otherwise, you're being hypocritical, and I'm not sure why you'd be so baffled as to why users like me clash with you so often.
Do you remember what happened then? A troll (with a history of trolling, not 'someone with a different opinion') came in screaming about how Joker and Byleth were objectively awful. Not sure if you're aware, but Byleth is an FE character, and it was something I found out recently and had it stuck in my head. Fun trivia if you will. Everyone in this thread's biased but not many people try to claim not wanting their most wanted characters is gatekeeping.

I respect people who don't want FE and people who don't like how FE was handled as I completely understand and somewhat agree with most of the criticisms and I respect people who just want to stop talking about Fire Emblem. The opposite for Pokemon is true, in my friend circles, Pokemon are pretty much community memes and I myself am a fan of the franchise. That said, I fail to see the issue, I don't object when people talk about FE and go "I'd rather not get another". I feel that people should be allowed to say "I'd rather not have another one" when Pokemon gets brought up too, it's only fair, right? Meanwhile, can you say you respect people who disagree that Unspecified Pokemon Handpicked By Game Freak would be the most exciting addition yet?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly though “Pokémon in Smash” speculation peaked pre-Smash 4, a Wild West where some considered Tyrantrum an actual contender. Greninja knocked the wind out of our sails, and we’ll never get that back.
Yeah Greninja turned things largely into a starter fight, and it's been butt ever since.

You say that knowing damn well what company's choosing the characters here.

Greninja and Incineroar becoming popular after the fact as a justification of their initial Smash inclusion is like my dumbass self going "Yeah but Three Houses was good tho" to try and rebuke Byleth being an ad despite the fact that he, like Greninja and Incineroar, were ****ing ads chosen prior to the games' success at the end of the day.

And people don't even hate Incineroar because of Pokemon, they hated him because he debunked Grinch leak. :nifty:

I'd take Sirfetch'd, he's right up there with Baboom and Galarian Weezing in my "I wouldn't be mad" category.
I didn't say it would happen.

And I dislike Incineroar because of all the ways they could've made a fire tiger cool, they make him another humanoid fighter fire starter. That somehow isn't fighting, even though his whole deal is being a wrestler. His motif doesn't even have much to do with fire or being a tiger.

But like... people didn't even like him much before Grinch leak was even a thing.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Kelios claims it is not a Mini. I would be very surprised if they do an announcement in the morning and then a live stream shortly after, but that is what he is suggesting.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
And I dislike Incineroar because of all the ways they could've made a fire tiger cool, they make him another humanoid fighter fire starter. That somehow isn't fighting, even though his whole deal is being a wrestler. His motif doesn't even have much to do with fire or being a tiger.

But like... people didn't even like him much before Grinch leak was even a thing.
I'm not talking about Incineroar in Pokemon, I'm talking about when he got revealed lol

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I wouldn't mind a Pokemon character it they quit it with the promotion and just gave us a popular character proven to be liked to by people for more than a fleeting moment, like Gengar or Scizor or Gardevoir or Blaziken or whoever.

I’d rather have galarian Farfetched. I love the big leak! The only reason I evolved mine was because it was so much weaker than the rest of my team

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I wish it was a possible thing to just get three pokémon solely to represent all 8 generation, but in this DLC era where things are just reaching the end in a year and half, I'd rather not even get a new pokémon at all.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Smash finally getting a proper grappler character more than makes up for it. Before Incineroar we had......DK? Kinda?
I always felt a grappler was sorely missing in Smash even though it's an important archetype in fighting games. Unless you're talking purely about Incineroar in Pokemon, which I respect. But for Smash I gotta defend his inclusion since he's covering a very underrepresented archetype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom