• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Alright, how do you guys feel about Final Fight or Streets of Rage? I'd like a SoR character myself. And I think that both series could make for a good addition to Smash. On top of that, I feel that they have multiple characters that'd be reasonable choices. Kind of like how Tekken has Jin, Kazuya and Heihachi, who'd all be reasonable choices.

FF has Haggar, but I think you could make a case for Guy and Cody as well.
SoR has Axel, but I think one could also make a case for Blaze Fielding, who is also in every game.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Alright, how do you guys feel about Final Fight or Streets of Rage? I'd like a SoR character myself. And I think that both series could make for a good addition to Smash. On top of that, I feel that they have multiple characters that'd be reasonable choices. Kind of like how Tekken has Jin, Kazuya and Heihachi, who'd all be reasonable choices.

SoR has Axel, but I think one could also make a case for Blaze Fielding, who is also in every game.
“Axel Stone? He’s just Ken with a Headband!”

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Axel would be sick. SoR 4 has been hella fun to play and it made me want to see more of the franchise in the future.

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
Hmm, NoA hasn’t tweeted anything since the Outer Worlds thing... has NoE only tweeted about ACNH and that Clubhouse thingy? I think they may all be lining up for an announcement at the same time
If there is any announcement today, its Pokemon. Amazon already leaked it earlier today

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
One character per franchise game.

:ultmario:: Geno
:ultdk:: Dixie Kong
:ultlink:: :linkmelee:
:ultsamus:: Sylux
:ultyoshi:: Poochie
:ultkirby:: Bandanna Dee
:ultfox:: :foxmelee:
:ultpikachu:: Decidueye/Salamence
:ultness:: Duster
:ultfalcon:: Pico
:ultmarth:: Black Knight
:ultpit:: Nah
:ultwario:: Nah
:ultsnake:: Raiden
:ultsonic:: Tails
:ultolimar:: Pikmin 4 should add two new characters and then add every single character into each alternate costume slot like Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings
:ultvillager:: Nah
:ultmegaman:: Protoman
:ultlittlemac:: Mike Tyson
:ultpacman:: Klonoa
:ultshulk:: Reyn time
:ultryu:: Mike Bison
:ultcloud:: Zidane Tribal
:ultbayonetta:: Nah
:ultinkling:: Nah
:ultsimon:: Alucard
:ultjoker:: Ryuji Sakamoto
:ulthero2:: Yangus
:ultbanjokazooie:: Banjo Tooie (This time Kazooie is a Dragon)
:ult_terry:: Iori Yagami
:ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultduckhunt:: Mach Rider

Axel Stone is one of my most wanted characters and I would really want to see him be in Smash Bros as a playable character. I want to see how they implement his moves like Dragon Smash and Grand Upper. I think Grand Upper would be a really strong dash attack and Dragon Smash would be Side Special.

As for the case for Axel against Blaze, Axel has a slight edge over Blaze. He's shown in the Japanese intro for Streets of Rage 3, he's the only one to appear in Project X zone 2 and on the Japanese boxarts, he is always the character at the front.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Alright, how do you guys feel about Final Fight or Streets of Rage?
I don't think Sakurai will be taking from the fighting genre quite as much anymore. Ryu and Ken were a big thing since Street Fighter is like THE reference for the genre, and then Terry was the cherry on top, with Fatal Fury and King of Fighters being quite huge as well. But after that, are there really series that came as close as these two?

That, and I think Sakurai would prefer to keep away from getting too close to pure fighting games. It's one thing for Smash to recognize those other series and celebrate them, but it's another to become one of them. Smash is a hybrid game with lots of mixed and mashed content, I don't think they'd want to go too far towards one genre.

But yeah, that's my perception of what I think is Nintendo's and Sakurai's perception about the game. Take it as you will!

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Also similar to :ultincineroar:, how everyone expected Decidueye to be the SuMo Pokemon chosen and thinking he'd be too 'boring' as a fighter but Sakurai was in the end drawn to Incineroar's wrestler archetype.
I had no opinion on Incineroar before his inclusion but his implementation in the game really won me over, so much that he became my main. I just love how showy the character is. Its part of why I want to see Toxtricity in Smash, and if Sakurai will play on the whole punk rocker aspect of the Pokemon

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
One character per franchise thing. I’m biased on certain choices. Lol

Mario: Toad
Zelda: Lana or Impa or Ganon or Skull Kid (can choose any of these)
Donkey Kong: Dixie
Yoshi: Kamek
Wario: Captain Syrup or Ashley
Star Fox: Slippy
Fire Emblem: Lyn or Hector
Pokemon: I don’t have a specific choice for this one.
MOTHER: Porky
F-Zero: Black Shadow
Kid Icarus: Medusa
Kirby: Marx (yes I know)
Metal Gear: Raiden
Sonic: Eggman
Animal Crossing: Tom Nook
Mega Man: Zero (Or Tron Bonne)
Castlevania: Alucard
Pac-Man: All the ghosts as one team type character. (A bigger version of Ice Climbers I guess)
Ice Climbers: N/A
Duck Hunt: N/A
Game & Watch: N/A
Wii Fit: N/A
ROB: Professor Hector
Splatoon: Octoling (Agent 8 with a Splatoon 1 octo costume)
Street Fighter: Chun Li
Fatal Fury: GEESE!!!!
Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty
Bayonetta: Jeanne
Metroid: Don’t have a specific choice for this one.
Final Fantasy: Tera
Pikmin: Louie/President/Pikmin 3 character as echo an fighter.
Punch-Out: Mr. Sandman
Xenoblade: N/A
Dragon Quest: Slime
Persona: Maya Amano
ARMS: Dr. Coyle (I really doubt she’s our new character so I’d love to see her as a playable.)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
:ultmario:: Geno
:ultyoshi:: Kamek
:ultpikachu:: Gengar
:ultlink:: Skull Kid
:ultkirby:: Bandana Dee
:ultsamus:: Baby Metroid
:ultfox:: Krystal
:ultness:: Ninten or Porky
:ultfalcon:: Black Shadow
:ulticeclimbers:: Polar Bear
:ultmarth:: Lyn
:ultgnw:: Octopus
:ultwario:: Ashley
:ultolimar:: separate :ultalph:
:ultpit:: Medusa
:ultrob:: Professor Hector
:ultsonic:: Tails
:ultvillager:: Tom Nook
:ultmegaman:: Wood Man >:]
:ultwiifittrainer:: Wii Balance Board
:ultmiifighters:: Mii Mage
:ultpacman:: Blinky, Inky, Pinky, and Clyde
:ultlittlemac:: Doc Louis
:ultshulk:: Elma
:ultduckhunt:: Clay Pidgeon
:ultryu:: Chun-Li
:ultcloud:: Black Mage
:ultbayonetta:: Jeanne
:ultinkling:: Octoling
:ultsimon:: Alucard
:ultjoker:: Jack Frost
:ulthero:: Slime
:ultbanjokazooie:: Gruntilda Winkybunion
:ult_terry:: Mai Shiranui
:ultspringaling: : Min Min

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't think Sakurai will be taking from the fighting genre quite as much anymore. Ryu and Ken were a big thing since Street Fighter is like THE reference for the genre, and then Terry was the cherry on top, with Fatal Fury and King of Fighters being quite huge as well. But after that, are there really series that came as close as these two?

That, and I think Sakurai would prefer to keep away from getting too close to pure fighting games. It's one thing for Smash to recognize those other series and celebrate them, but it's another to become one of them. Smash is a hybrid game with lots of mixed and mashed content, I don't think they'd want to go too far towards one genre.

But yeah, that's my perception of what I think is Nintendo's and Sakurai's perception about the game. Take it as you will!
Well, Final Fight and Streets of Rage are beat'em-ups. Not quite the same as fighting games, though they do have their similarities, I'll admit. Which at the moment, is pretty much a genre that's hardly been implemented in the series. They might not have the input gimmick, or an extra amount of normals. But they might focus on juggling. Same with their specials potentially dealing recoil damage in exchange for being absolutely brutal to deal with. Hell, maybe the characters can even have items they can equip. Peach, Mega Man and Rob already do so. But having a unique weapon like a Knife or Pipe could give the character access to their "Beam Sword/Killing Edge" moveset at anytime, which would be a unique way to implement that mechanic. I can see that genre implementing some of its mechanics to make them stand out myself.

On top of that, the fact that Sakurai considered Heihachi makes me think he'd still be down for other traditional fighting game characters. We certainly have quite a few platformer characters(and I'm ALWAYS down for more), and RPG characters as well. So I don't think more fighting game characters should be seen as taboo.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I mean, there is Tekken, which is actually the highest selling fighting game IP (that isn't Smash Bros).

cosmicB

Smash Ace
There's no reason to not want Spirit/AT upgrades, unless you don't like the idea of people having hope.
No?

I don't want spirit/AT upgrades because I want everything to be new. Smash has moved beyond the point of being the ultimate Nintendo crossover and has moved into gaming as a whole. I don't want just new characters from existing series, I want new worlds, like what Reggie said. Really, I'd go even farther than that. I have no prior attachment to Terry, but he was basically my ideal pack from a certain standpoint. Not just a rep of a series, but of an entire company, and one that means a lot to Sakurai and gaming as a whole. If I had my way, every single DLC character would be like that, or represent an iconic sector of gaming as a whole and not "just" be a new series. Like I don't care about Half Life, but getting a rep in would be amazing in the sense they would represent PC gaming and how Valve completely redefined it. Or a Halo/Doom rep which had a hand in pushing the FPS genre into the mainstream and caused a massive demographic shift in console gaming. Or even a Touhou rep to give props to indies around the world and show the power of just one person/small teams and what they can accomplish (while simultaneously acting as a throwback to a time when development teams were smaller in general).

Not wanting upgrades has nothing to do with hope or not for other people, it's a purely personal preference because I want Smash to reach greater heights by pulling in more IPs, and that's not going to happen when franchises already represented in the game in some form or another are given priority.

Last edited:

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
No?

I don't want spirit/AT upgrades because I want everything to be new. Smash has moved beyond the point of being the ultimate Nintendo crossover and has moved into gaming as a whole. I don't want just new characters from existing series, I want new worlds, like what Reggie said. Really, I'd go even farther than that. I have no prior attachment to Terry, but he was basically my ideal pack from a certain standpoint. Not just a rep of a series, but of an entire company, and one that means a lot to Sakurai and gaming as a whole. If I had my way, every single DLC character would be like that, or represent an iconic sector of gaming as a whole and not "just" be a new series. Like I don't care about Half Life, but getting a rep in would be amazing in the sense they would represent PC gaming and how Valve completely redefined it. Or a Halo/Doom rep which had a hand in pushing the FPS genre into the mainstream and caused a massive demographic shift in console gaming. Or even a Touhou rep to give props to indies around the world and show the power of just one person/small teams and what they can accomplish (while simultaneously acting as a throwback to a time when development teams were smaller in general).

Not wanting upgrades has nothing to do with hope or not for other people, it's a purely personal preference because I want Smash to reach greater heights by pulling in more IPs, and that's not going to happen when franchises already represented in the game in some form or another are given priority.
Tbh, this is exactly the reason why I have been so against upgrades ever since Jokers reveal.

Honestly agree 100% with this post.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
She's literally in KOF 14 tho. She'd technically be about as KOF as any Fatal Fury character.
Its called an guest character.

Its like MK characters in Injustice or Kratos, Freddy, Predator, Xenomorph, Jason, Leatherface, Joker, Spawn, Terminator and RoboCop being in the new MK games.

Or Soulcalibur with its guest characters (Link, Heihachi, Spawn, 2B, Lloyd, Darth Vader, Yoda, Ezio, Geralt, Haormaru).

Does that make them characters from those franchises as well? No. No it doesn't.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Yes, but that reply was originally meant for someone who was saying he wanted an ARMS character that wasn't an upgrade for the sole purpose of keeping the fan rule intact. So it was already talking about a series that was already in Ultimate.
No, I want the rule intact because I want new content. My ideal is no already represented franchises, but if I can't have that, I'll go down the line of priorities that takes that into account. If I have to have an already represented franchise, I'd like that to come with content that has no current representation in the game. Byleth managed to do that outside of a few notes in a single musical track. That's how I feel about ARMs or any other already represented franchises, even if what we're talking about is "just a jpeg".

Last edited:

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
I want to join too!
:ultmario:: Waluigi/Geno
:ultlink:: Vaati
:ultsamus:: ???
:ultyoshi:: ???
:ultkirby:: Adeleine
:ultfox:: Krystal
:ultpikachu:: ???
:ultness:: Ninten
:ultfalcon:: Black Shadow
:ultmarth:: ???
:ultpit:: Viridi
:ultwario:: Mona/Ashley
:ultolimar:: ???
:ultvillager:: ???
:ultlittlemac:: ???
:ultshulk:: Elma
:ultinkling:: Octolings
:ultsonic:: Shadow
:ultmegaman:: MegaMan Zero
:ultpacman:(Namco): Reiji Arisu and Xiaomu
:ultryu:: Chun-Li
:ultcloud:: Sephiroth
:ultbayonetta:: ???
:ultsimon:: Alucard/Soma/Shanoa
:ultjoker:: Tatsuya Suou
:ulthero3:: ???
:ultbanjokazooie:: Gruntilda
:ult_terry:: Iori Yagami
ARMS: (if the FP6 character is Springman) Min Min
Nintendo Misc.: Mach Rider

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Its called an guest appearance.

Its like MK characters in Injustice or Kratos, Predator, Xenomorph, Spawn, RoboCop and such being in the new MK games.

Or Soulcalibur with its guest characters (Link, Heihachi, Spawn, 2B, Lloyd, Darth Vader, Yoda, Ezio, Geralt, Haormaru).

Does that make them characters from those franchises as well?
First of all, King of Fighters is a crossover series that has outlived many of it's guest character's home series (which includes Terry's Fatal Fury series).
Second, Terry also brings Metal Slug music with him as well, which I believe has absolutely no affiliation with King of Fighters. With him, any thing SNK is allowed.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Its like MK characters in Injustice or Kratos, Freddy, Predator, Xenomorph, Jason, Leatherface, Joker, Spawn, Terminator and RoboCop being in the new MK games.

Does that make them characters from those franchises as well? No. No it doesn't.
All those other characters you mentioned aren't owned by the same company, barring Heihachi. And Yoshimitsu already connects Tekken and Soul Calibur.

While Nakoruru is an SNK character, in an SNK game that's literally an SNK crossover with all its other characters and franchises. If you can call Terry and Mai Fatal Fury and KOF characters, you could do the same for Nakoruru and Hanzo, who are both in Samurai Shodown and KOF titles.

Last edited:

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Well, Final Fight and Streets of Rage are beat'em-ups. Not quite the same as fighting games, though they do have their similarities, I'll admit.
Fair enough, I could be convinced that beat'em-ups need a representative. I'm not well versed in the genre though, and do associate it strongly with fighting games due to overall very similar aesthetics, and sometimes control scheme too. Putting tastes aside, would you say that Final Fight and Streets of Rage are the biggest titles in the genre?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
No?

No, I want the rule intact because I want new content. My ideal is no already represented franchises, but if I can't have that, I'll go down the line of priorities that takes that into account. If I have to have an already represented franchise, I'd like that to come with content that has no current representation in the game. Byleth managed to do that outside of a few notes in a single musical track. That's how I feel about ARMs or any other already represented franchises, even if what we're talking about is "just a jpeg".

Personally, I hate this new obsession people have with, "Expand the crossover!! Expand the crossover!! Expand the crossover!!"

I don't mind third-parties and new franchises, but I'd also like to see them expand on what's already in Smash too. I'm glad they didn't settle with ARMS being represented by what was in the base game. ARMS is a really unique concept, and the characters are extremely different from everyone else on the roster. It was a really great choice for a new character.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Fair enough, I could be convinced that beat'em-ups need a representative. I'm not well versed in the genre though, and do associate it strongly with fighting games due to overall very similar aesthetics, and sometimes control scheme too. Putting tastes aside, would you say that Final Fight and Streets of Rage are the biggest titles in the genre?
I think they are among the biggest, and are the ones I like the most. But Double Dragon might be the top dog for the overall influence it has in pop-culture and games. There's also the River City games, though I don't think RC has the same clout as FF and SoR, for whatever that's worth. One could say DQ has more clout than Final Fantasy to some extent, but Final Fantasy was in before DQ.

Or you could go out of left field and pick Karnov, a guy who had his own game, was a Final Boss in like two fighting games and a Boss in Bad Dudes....Data East is a weird company. And Karnov an even weirder mascot.

Last edited:

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
Personally, I hate this new obsession people have with, "Expand the crossover!! Expand the crossover!! Expand the crossover!!"

I don't mind third-parties and new franchises, but I'd also like to see them expand on what's already in Smash too. I'm glad they didn't settle with ARMS being represented by what was in the base game. ARMS is a really unique concept, and the characters are extremely different from everyone else on the roster. It was a really great choice for a new character.
Want to know why people feel that way? We are *never* getting a crossover like this again. Sakurai has repeatedly called this a “celebration of gaming”, and it won’t be to that degree next game because, lets face it, there will be cuts and getting all of these companies on board will never happen again.

When you see people saying “expand the crossover”, its because they love seeing as many gaming faces from everywhere in the industry in this one game, and something like this will never happen again, hence the name “Ultimate”.

cosmicB

Smash Ace

And you're free to feel that way. A lot clearly do. My view of Smash just happens to be more ambitious when it comes to IP variety. I want Smash to straight up be a well-designed Mugen.

I want EVERYONE IS HERE to be meant literally.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
First of all, King of Fighters is a crossover series that has outlived many of it's guest character's home series (which includes Terry's Fatal Fury series).
Second, Terry also brings Metal Slug music with him as well, which I believe has absolutely no affiliation with King of Fighters. With him, any thing SNK is allowed.
Fio was playable in one of the KOF Maximum Impact titles. Same as Hanzo, another Samurai Shodown character.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Want to know why people feel that way? We are *never* getting a crossover like this again. Sakurai has repeatedly called this a “celebration of gaming”, and it won’t be to that degree next game because, lets face it, there will be cuts and getting all of these companies on board will never happen again.

When you see people saying “expand the crossover”, its because they love seeing as many gaming faces from everywhere in the industry in this one game, and something like this will never happen again, hence the name “Ultimate”.
"Ultimate" is a subjective term. Not everyone thinks expanding the crossover is the only way to go in order to make that term reality. Some of us also want the content already present to expand, as well.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think they are among the biggest, and are the ones I like the most. But Double Dragon might be the top dog for the overall influence it has in pop-culture and games. There's also the River City games, though I don't think RC has the same clout as FF and SoR, for whatever that's worth. One could say DQ has more clout than Final Fantasy to some extent, but Final Fantasy was in before DQ.

Or you could go out of left field and pick Karnov, a guy who had his own game, was a Final Boss in like two fighting games and a Boss in Bad Dudes....Data East is a weird company. And Karnov an even weirder mascot.
Also, the very first Ninja Gaiden game in the Arcade was more of a beat'em up than platformer.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I figured she was at least part of it so idk.

Mai Shiranui it is I suppose.
Unlike Krystal, Mai would not be suitable enough for good boys and girls to even be an AT. :p

Every single character added expands the crossover anyways, since this is a character-based game, which would obviously mean nothing in the grand scale of things. Even someone as insignificant as Geno would add to the crossover factor. Sakurai himself stated that by adding even one character, a new world is added.

At any rate, it would still make perfect sense for this pass to be focused on first-party characters if the ARMS character is meant to set a precedence similar to how Joker showed the first pass was mostly focused on third-party characters.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

The way I understand it, all of SNK's properties share a universe, like how all of Marvel's do. Therefore, Nakororu would count as another KOF rep, as she is part of KOF.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

hell yes i am super down for axel. he's my most wanted sega character to have a more than 0.00000000000001% chance of getting in. also because...

dude.

streets of rage music in smash.

i rest my case.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The way I understand it, all of SNK's properties share a universe, like how all of Marvel's do. Therefore, Nakororu would count as another KOF rep, as she is part of KOF.
This only applies to within the KoF universe, which is essentially a different timeline than the games that the IPs in it are from.

Best examples are Geese being alive in the KoF canon (he's dead in Fatal Fury after 3, iirc) and Art of Fighting existing alongside Fatal Fury instead of being a prequel.

You're still technically correct though.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

I'm not sure what the intent was with calling it a celebration of gaming, but I know it wasn't meant as a tool for people on the internet to gatekeep first-parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom