• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Telling people to "play something else" to have what should be basic representation isn't cool, man. Makes you look pretty bad tbh.

No matter how you slice it it's pretty whack that the only dark skinned character on a roster of almost 80 (barring alternate costumes for certain avatars) is the literal self-proclaimed King of Evil.
Well Pokemon Trainer, villager and Inklings have alt skins but that hinges on what counts. (Whether all characters with alt genders count towards female count, only WFT and Inkling do or none of them is a common debate)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I can understand why someone would feel like Spring Man has one of the least interesting designs, but least interesting personalities?

Ninjara, Master Mummy, Min Min, Kid Cobra, and Misango are way less expressive than Spring Man, Byte would just be a generic robot voice without Barq, and Springtron is just a robot copying the original.
Daily reminder that stoicism is, indeed, a personality trait.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's not as interesting as "Boioioioioing!" or anything Max Brass says though, which was Cosmic's point.
And that's totally subjective. Ike is stoic but has a ton more personality than someone like Diddy in Smash, who amounts to generic happy monkey noises.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
When it comes to diversity in Smash, there really is no clear and cut answer as to "who" might be added and fulfill such a gap in a game that celebrates a selection of amazing games and characters throughout the history of the industry. It's quite clear that there is a significant percentage of mascots and protagonists of different games that are straight, white male characters. Many characters seem to characterize the "dominant culture" (not using that as an offensive term, but as one that comes up in my field of education) as in, white characters, or ones that reflect other cultures, such as Japanese in the form of Ryu, Joker, and potentially others. Then, you have characters that have different sexualities within the game that separates them from the usual character you might see on the cover of a popular game.

Like the comic industry, there's a sort of circumstance we've found ourselves in where most heroes were straight, white men. Prior to Miles Morales, there was a striking difference in the number of white heroes to heroes of color. There may have been one here and there, but it was never at the same level. This has obviously changed over the years, but the gaming industry is basically scratching the surface of this. There are still few black protagonists or mascots, for example, in many games.

Certainly, skin color or sexual orientation is not the ONLY thing that folks necessarily latch onto when making connections to characters, but it can be a meaningful one. Seeing a character you can identify with is something that some folks might take for granted when there are many to choose from that meet that quota. For some, however, this is not the case.

Obviously, Smash's roster lacks a representation of people of color when considering characters that aren't asian. However, if you take a look at the source of the characters, it might explain why. There are far, far fewer characters of color compared to characters that mostly appear to be caucasian or asian in origin. In my opinion, this is somewhat similar to the source material that Fire Emblem provides; there are a lot of protagonists that are blue haired, sword users. (Something to consider: Blue hair might be a norm to coincide with the player team usually being the color blue). If the source material doesn't change, it's makes it difficult to pull relevant choices.

As it stands, Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X), Marina (Splatoon 2) and Twintelle (ARMS) are among the most notable black gaming characters that Nintendo has introduced in the last handful of years. Based on precedent and the way Nintendo has typically chosen their characters with Smash, we could end up in a scenario in which none of those characters are added, and Smash Ultimate caps off the greatest fighting game crossover roster without a single black default character. Women of color also present a great opportunity to representation, as women of color are often left out the most in popular media.

There are options within the game, and additional possibilities. For example, there are alternate colors for Inkling and Villager that have dark skin, and 2B is known for having an alternative skin in different appearances where she wears a white dress and is black. These are options, but they do not embody the existence of a black American, for example, who cannot simply change their look at the click of a button.

Lastly, we received essentially ONE female character in Volume 1 of Ultimate DLC, and that female character shared the spot with a male counterpart. Jill Valentine (Resident Evil) who is one of the most iconic female gaming characters out there is basically out of the running. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider, Square Enix), 2B (NieR Automata, Square Enix), are just two options of female characters that still have a solid shot of crossing over, in my humble opinion. Tracer (Overwatch) is an LGBTQ character, and lends representation that way.

Overall, I would put it this way: Nobody is wrong for wanting a character who they identify with because of the race or sexual orientation or gender of that character. That's a valid way of connecting to a character. That said, I'm not entirely sure of how much of a role it plays in character selection considering the first pass of characters we got. This is not a diss toward the first pass; while it was largely male, the first pass was excellent in value and bringing in new content.

Simply put: Representation matters, but when it comes to Smash, the source the characters are pulled from (game industry) makes things harder to accomplish this with, especially when business decisions are often dictated by the cash. Elma isn't necessarily "relevant", Marina doesn't seem to have much of a shot either, and then Twintelle has direct competition with Spring Man and Min-Min. I'm not trying to shift the blame from Nintendo, rather bring to light the simple fact that the industry, especially the Eastern industry, has not created many mascots that reflected appearances other than caucasian or asian.

From my perspective, I hope that folks who are searching for that character to identify with find that character by the end of DLC, whether it is through the character they want or another that grows on them.

Lastly, lastly: I do not agree with shaming people who want male characters, as those users likely have a connection to those characters themselves. But that goes both ways. I think it's obvious that diversity isn't necessarily the "top priority" in these picks, otherwise pass 1 would have looked mighty different. But that doesn't mean to shoot down another person's preference or trying to invalidate why they want the characters they want, nor does it mean that diversity isn't important.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, I 100% agree..I'm also annoyed anytime someone says something like 'x is only liked because they're female' or, its more annoying cousin, 'x is only liked because of perverted reasons'..like any time I see someone 'justifying' female alts like Robin, Corrin, Byleth, etc being more popular they also default to it being solely due to perverted reasons and it pisses me off every single time since, you know, maybe you like the design more or just like playing as a female more..or even just like their personality more as a female character..

..oh, and I love you using Velvet Crowe for that example..as you can see in my sig, she's one of my most wanted characters.
Yeah, some people are motivated by Horny ***** Technology. But obviously that isn't everyone. I think Male Robin has a better design cause his hair doesn't look kind of childish. I also feel the same about preferring female Corrin, who's hair style isn't stupid. Shallow preferences? Sure. But that's my preference on the two. And I'm sure other people feel the same way. Granted, I don't use those two a ton. I like using Black Boy Inkling, probably because I'm a Black and Hispanic dude being part of that reason. And the mask. Masks are cool.

I admit to having 0 interest in most Tales stuff, but I like Shantae's games a lot. So I get how supporting a character for many reasons, and some might assume it's strictly because you're powered by Horny ***** Technology.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Actually speaking of personality, i got to ask

Is Joker's Personality in this game as stoic as it is in his home game. Also would he be considered edgy in the context of this game?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Is Joker's Personality in this game as stoic as it is in his home game. Also would he be considered edgy in the context of this game?
Joker is the dork trying to act cool.

He's a total goober.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Actually speaking of personality, i got to ask

Joker is basically a very cocky and self-confident person who acts stoic to not draw attention. His student persona and phantom thief persona basically represent two sides of his personality. He has pretty defined characteristics for a silent protag and Smash does a surprisingly good job at conveying them.

And I wouldn't call him edgy, dude's camp as hell.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Ok, since everyone is doing it

Super Mario Bros.: Professor E. Gadd
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong
The Legend of Zelda: Ganon or Tingle
Metroid: Omega Metroid or Sylux (depending on if he will get an important role in the future or not)
Yoshi: Kamek or Baby Bros. (Ice Climbers-like with M&L PIT inspired moveset)
Kirby:
Ado trolling.png
StarFox: Krystal
Pokemon: Scizor, Meowth or Meloetta
EarthBound: Porky
F-Zero: Black Shadow or someone else, I don't know, there are many possible characters
Fire Emblem: I don't know
Kid Icarus: I don't know
WarioWare: Ashley, Mona or Jimmy T.
Metal Gear: I don't know
Sonic the Hedgehog: Knuckles
Pikmin: I don't know
Animal Crossing: K.K. Slider
Mega Man: Roll, Bass, Zero or Megaman.EXE
Punch-Out!!: I don't know
Pac-Man: I don't know
Xenoblade Chronicles: I don't know
Street Fighter: Mr Bison (mostly because of the yesh memes)
Final Fantasy: Sephiroth or some classic character form the early NES games.
Bayonetta: I don't know
Castlevania: I don't know
Splatoon: Octoling or DJ Octavio
Persona 5: I don't know
Dragon Quest: I don't know
Banjo-Kazooie: I don't know
Fatal Fury: I don't know
ARMS: I don't know

SKX31

Smash Master
And that's totally subjective. Ike is stoic but has a ton more personality than someone like Diddy in Smash, who amounts to generic happy monkey noises.
Beneath those happy monkey noises lies a nasty trapper:

Mew2King's_Top_10_Brawl_Characters_RANKED.gif

(I love Brawl's jank so much, even if it was whack. Except RNG tripping.)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's an important question.

When do you think the characters for FP2 were decided?

And how do you feel the timing affects the characters chosen?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

They were probably decided when Terry’s presentation said “more fighters now in development!”

7NATOR

Smash Master

Like fully decided? sometime around December or Januray of this year.

If you mean when they first thought about it, probably Sometime in January of 2019 or Earlier. I'm sure that there was an idea for FP2 early on, and then with how well DLC did they decided to green lit it

for how Timing affects it, Characters that had a Large or Successful Presence in 2018 or Early 2019 (Crash, Dante, Sora (even though KH3 wasn't considered best, it's the best selling game) as examples) have more credibility towards their inclusion. otherwise i don't think it matters much

Edit: Also if there are Promoted characters, Pretty much anyone that blew up during Ultimate's Lifecyle (Waluigi, Shadow, Isaac as examples) might have some reconsideration as well. I would count ARMS and Rex, but because Sakurai did explicit state they were already in consideration, i won't Count them

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

I think part of it was decided around Hero's presentation, since Banjo's was the first to mention extra DLC beyond the first Pass and was recorded not too long after Hero's.

But I think they probably didn't have six entire characters at that point, so the second Pass itself was probably decided some time between Terry's and Byleth's presentations, since Terry's had no mention of it.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Anywho
:ultmario: Waluigi
:ultdk:Dixie
:ultwario:Mona
:ultlink:Daruk
:ultsamus:Anthony Higgs
:ultkirby:Magolor
:ultfox:Slippy
:ultpikachu:Chandelure
:ultness:Porky
:ultfalcon:Samurai Goroh
:ulticeclimbers:Polar Bear
:ultmarth:Edelgard
:ultgnw:Lion
:ultpit:Hades
:ultsnake:Raiden
:ultolimar:Charlie
:ultrob:Smick
:ultsonic:Dr. Eggman
:ultvillager:Blathers
:ultmegaman:Dr. Wily
:ultwiifittrainer:Balance Board
:ultlittlemac:Glass Joe
:ultmiifighters:Tabuu
:ultpacman:Spooky
:ultshulk:Melia
:ultduckhunt:The Tree on the Left
:ultryu:As much as I wanna say Dhalsim, Chun-Li
:ultcloud:Barret or Tifa. I'd love either one.
:ultbayonetta:Jeanne
:ultinkling:DJ Octavio
:ultsimon:As much as I'd like Eric or Sypha, Alucard
:ultjoker:Haru
:ulthero:Rab
:ultbanjokazooie:Gruntilda
:ult_terry:Geese Howard
ARMS: Lola Pop since it's not gonna be her lol

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Like fully decided? sometime around December or Januray of this year.

If you mean when they first thought about it, probably Sometime in January of 2019 or Earlier. I'm sure that there was an idea for FP2 early on, and then with how well DLC did they decided to green lit it

for how Timing affects it, Characters that had a Large or Successful Presence in 2018 or Early 2019 (Crash, Dante, Sora (even though KH3 wasn't considered best, it's the best selling game) as examples) have more credibility towards their inclusion. otherwise i don't think it matters much

Edit: Also if there are Promoted characters, Pretty much anyone that blew up during Ultimate's Lifecyle (Waluigi, Shadow, Isaac as examples) might have some reconsideration as well. I would count ARMS and Rex, but because Sakurai did explicit state they were already in consideration, i won't Count them
No way was the pass not finalized until this year, Byleth's presentation was shot last year and they announced the Pass would have six characters in it.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
They were probably decided when Terry’s presentation said “more fighters now in development!”
It was during Banjo's presentationnot Terry's presentation... Heck, I'm not even rught about that because it was actually in the Direct before said presentation, iirc.

You probably got confused because Terry was revealed the same day Banjo was released.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Daily reminder that stoicism is, indeed, a personality trait.
Never said it wasn't. However, I find it hard to argue that staying neutral and showing little variation in tone or attitude is somehow less interesting than a bubbly active personality.

At the very least, I don't understand how someone could claim Spring Man is boring only to turn around and praise someone like Ninjara or Min Min. There are plenty of bubbly and stoic characters in the context of both Smash and ARMS.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
:ultmario: Pauline
:ultlink: Impa
:ultdk:Dixie Kong
:ultmarth:Lyn or Edelgard
:ultpit: Medusa
:ultshulk: Elma
:ultmegaman: X, Zero, Protoman, Bass, or even Roll
:ultsimon: Alucard
:ultcloud: Tifa, Sephiroth, or Terra
:ultbayonetta1: Jeanne

7NATOR

Smash Master
No way was the pass not finalized until this year, Byleth's presentation was shot last year and they announced the Pass would have six characters in it.
I only said januray of this year, because there is a possiblity that Sakurai in the recording was speaking in future tense, knowing that the recording would be in march or something

though i think persnally it was somewhere around December, maybe even November

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I only said januray of this year, because there is a possiblity that Sakurai in the recording was speaking in future tense, knowing that the recording would be in march or something

though i think persnally it was somewhere around December, maybe even November
I doubt it would've been finalized any later than like, July of last year.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If we were to get a POC character that wouldn’t feel like a token character, who would be your pick?

I still support the Sandman from Punch-Out. It would be another villain type character and would be an interesting fighter type being a stronger slower Mac type with some of the most powerful attacks in the game. His character would be built entirely around the concept of easy KOs for opponents while being a super heavy weight that is also hard to knock out with loads of super armor.
CJ if, by some chance Hell freezes over and GTA is the chosen Western franchise over most series.
Elma
Shantae
Bald Bull/most dudes from Punch-Out.
D-Mob, who'd be in a similar situation as Sora technically. But no one's ready for that.

There's a larger list of Black characters in games, but not a ton of main protags at the moment. And I don't think many people know about Marlow Briggs.

It'd be cool if more Black or Hispanic characters popped up, but it wasn't really a big deal for me either. I just wish people didn't make a big deal about it either way, positive or negative. Can't just treat it as normal.

Granted I hate the term POC cause it's too similar to "Colored People". I really wish it wasn't a popular term.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Now, everyone is obviously entitled to their opinions, but the "Spring Man is boring and Min Min is interesting, therefore Min Min is the one who will get in" is giving me major flashbacks to discussion about Terry/Nakoruru and Byleth/Edelgard. Very similar things were said about those two pairs, with one being boring and tired and the other being new and exciting. Likewise, we all know how that turned out. What makes a character "interesting" is largely going to be subjective and how much milage people get out of certain characters is going to vary based on taste and experience.

As such, I don't think it's necessarily appropriate to try and write off options as objectively "boring" and "exciting" respectively. Not only is it disrespectful to that character's fans, but we don't know Sakurai really feels about these individual characters to guess how their personalities will impact their prospects at Smash. Maybe Sakurai thinks Spring Man is just a cliche shonen protagonist and thinks Min Min's backstory makes her the more interesting character. Maybe Sakurai thinks Spring Man is a neat character whose goofy, pizza-loving nature contrasts with the serious protagonists of other fighters, while Min Min is a tired take on the kung fu girl trope.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I guess I'll give my "every franchise gets a new character" list:

:ultmario:: Toad
:ultdk:: Dixie Kong
:ultlink:: Midna
:ultyoshi:: Kamek
:ultkirby:: Bandana Dee
:ultfox:: Krystal
:ultpikachu:: Meowth
:ultfalcon:: Black Shadow
:ultness:: Ninten
:ultmarth:: Lyn
:ultwario:: Mona
:ultpit:: Hades
:ultolimar:: :ultalph:
:ultvillager:: Tom Nook
:ultlittlemac:: King Hippo
:ultshulk:: Rex & Pyra
:ultinkling:: Octoling
ARMS: Dr. Coyle (probably won't be the character chosen and she'd be a kick-ass second pick)
:ultsnake:: Raiden
:ultsonic:: Shadow
:ultmegaman:: Mega Man's the only series where I can't decide who I think should be next. Wily, X and Zero are all strong candidates.
:ultpacman:: Ms. Pac-Man
:ultryu:: Chun-Li
:ultcloud:: Terra
:ultbayonetta:: Jeanne
:ultjoker:: Jack Frost or an SMT protagonist
:ultbanjokazooie:: Gruntilda
:ult_terry:: Kyo Kusanagi
:ultsamus::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultduckhunt::ulthero:: these are series I think are perfectly represented as they are. Wild how Metroid went from terribly represented to peak representation in one game. If I had to change something, I'd decline Dark Samus and make the Heroes Echoes instead of alts. And low-key I wouldn't mind if Professor Hector was a playable character.

This list is objectively perfect because as you can see I chose the most obvious and vanilla options for every franchise, which means I'm right.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Now, everyone is obviously entitled to their opinions, but the "Spring Man is boring and Min Min is interesting, therefore Min Min is the one who will get in" is giving me major flashbacks to people saying similar things about Terry/Nakoruru and Byleth/Edelgard. Very similar things were said about those two pairs, with one being interesting and tired and the other being new and exciting. Likewise, we all know how that turned out. What makes a character "interesting" is largely going to be subjective and how much milage people get out of certain characters is going to vary based on taste and experience.

As such, I don't think it's necessarily appropriate to try and write off options as objectively "boring" and "exciting" respectively. Not only is it disrespectful to that character's fans, but we don't know Sakurai really feels about these individual characters to guess how their personalities will impact their prospects at Smash. Maybe Sakurai thinks Spring Man is just a cliche shonen protagonist and thinks Min Min's backstory makes her the more interesting character. Maybe Sakurai thinks Spring Man is a neat character whose goofy, pizza-loving nature contrasts with the serious protagonists of other fighters, while Min Min is a tired take on the kung fu girl trope.
Also similar to :ultincineroar:, how everyone expected Decidueye to be the SuMo Pokemon chosen and thinking he'd be too 'boring' as a fighter but Sakurai was in the end drawn to Incineroar's wrestler archetype.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Now, everyone is obviously entitled to their opinions, but the "Spring Man is boring and Min Min is interesting, therefore Min Min is the one who will get in" is giving me major flashbacks to people saying similar things about Terry/Nakoruru and Byleth/Edelgard. Very similar things were said about those two pairs, with one being interesting and tired and the other being new and exciting. Likewise, we all know how that turned out. What makes a character "interesting" is largely going to be subjective and how much milage people get out of certain characters is going to vary based on taste and experience.

The whole thing is subjective anyway, so it's best not to dwell on it much. What I find to be extremely dull and boring might stand out to someone else. There's no right or wrong answer.

But yeah, dismissing a character over their personality is silly.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Wait so i need to ask, Which characters currently have rumors tied to them, and whether those rumors have been debunked or Not?

I Know there's Crash, Dante, League of Legends, Geno, Reimu. Any other characters with Rumors and whether any of these are debunked yet?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
My picks would be.

Super Mario Bros.: Paper Mario
The Legend of Zelda: Ganon
Metroid: Sylux
Yoshi: Kamek
Kirby: Bandana Dee
StarFox: Leon Powalski
Pokemon: Urshifu
EarthBound: Porky Minch
F-Zero: Black Shadow
Fire Emblem: Lyn
Kid Icarus: Medusa
WarioWare: Ashley
Metal Gear: Raiden
Sonic the Hedgehog: Dr. Eggman
Pikmin: Louie
Animal Crossing: Tom Nook
Mega Man: Proto Man
Punch-Out!!: King Hippo
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man
Xenoblade Chronicles: Elma
Ryu Hayabusa: Chun-Li
Final Fantasy: Tifa Lockhart
Bayonetta: Jeanne
Castlevania: Alucard
Splatoon: Octoling
Persona 5: Kasumi
Dragon Quest: Slime
Banjo-Kazooie: Gruntilda
Fatal Fury: Geese Howard
ARMS: Minmin

Rate my opinion.
Make way for someone with good taste.

:ultmario:: Paper Mario I guess
:ultsamus:: Sylux
:ultmegaman:: Mega Man X or Mega Man.EXE
:ult_terry:: Geese Howard(or Rock as a Terry "Echo")
:ultshulk:: Elma
:ultdk:: Dixie
:ultlittlemac:: Bald Bull
:ultcloud:: Terra Branford
:ultsonic:: Knuckles
:ultkirby:: B.Dee
:ultsnake:: Raiden
:ultsimon:: Soma or Shanoa

The rest offer very little to me.

The others I probably don't care enough about.

EDIT: :ultwario:: **** it, Captain Syrup.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Wait so i need to ask, Which characters currently have rumors tied to them, and whether those rumors have been debunked or Not?

I Know there's Crash, Dante, League of Legends, Geno, Reimu. Any other characters with Rumors and whether any of these are debunked yet?
To my knowledge, there isn't really any reason to give any of the rumors that tie to those characters any weight. They've either been around for too long or just aren't credible.

I can at least say, to my knowledge, the only Crash rumor I know of is not credible, neither is the Dante one, and the Reimu one just kinda...exists. Other than that, I can't really say for sure.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
:ultmario:: Toad/Toadette or Waluigi
:ultlink:: Impa
:ultyoshi:: Poochy or Kamek
:ultfox:: Krystal
:ultness:: Ninten or Kumatora
:ultinkling:: Octolings
:ultlittlemac:: King Hippo
:ult_terry:: Mai Shiranui
:ultsimon:: Alucard
:ultjoker:: Yu Narukami
:ultwario:: Ashley
:ultsnake:: Big Boss
:ultduckhunt:: ???
:ultfalcon:: Black Shadow/Jody Summer/Dr. Stewart
:ultpit:: Viridi or Medusa
:ultmarth:: Lyn
:ultgnw:: ??? Ms. Game & Watch ???
:ultolimar:: Alph echo
:ulticeclimbers:: ???
:ultcloud:: Tifa or Terra
:ultshulk:: Elma or Rex & Pyra/Mythra
:ultsamus:: Metroid
:ultkirby:: Dee or Adeleine
:ultbayonetta:: Jeanne
:ultbanjokazooie:: Gruntilda
:ulthero:: Heroine
:ultrob:: ???
:ultwiifittrainer:: ???
:ultsonic:: Tails
:ultmegaman:: Roll
:ultmiifighters:: Mii Wizard

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

I'm gonna go on a limb here and say the characters were negotiated between E3 and September. E3 didn't say we were gonna get a pass 2, which leads me to believe discussions for Pass 2 began after it ended and they revealed it in the direct after it.

Now what does this mean for the characters chosen? Obviously any content that was shown between and after this period like mii costumes or spirit events means they aren't playable fighters. There was Scott Menville's tweet back in September of last year about having NDA over a big project, and so far nothing of note has been shown with him that warrants his teasing. Of course it's important to keep in mind that Brian Beacock did replace Scott as Lloyd's new voice actor, so this whole ordeal doesn't completely imply that Lloyd is coming.

There's also that one guy who "leaked" Ryu Hayabusa a few days before the announcement of a second fighters pass and said he's next, of course Terry got revealed right after his statement so he was waaay off the mark. Then he attempted to damage control and say he will be fighter 5, and once again he was wrong. And now we're in season 2 and we have an ARMs character revealed. Now could this person not be a bull****ter and he simply jumped on the gun and said Ryu is next when in reality he simply heard about the negotiations for Ryu? It's possible, and it's good to keep in mind that Erdrick was leaked way back during the base game and he did come to Smash as DLC as the second fighter. So it's possible the negotiations were leaked and Ryu could pop up in the second pass at any moment.

So there's that, we have two pieces of information that aren't completely infallible but could turn out to be true later on. So far we haven't really had any recent information that tells us who the fighters after ARMs could be. It's a bit frustrating but it's just a waiting game now.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hmm, NoA hasn’t tweeted anything since the Outer Worlds thing... has NoE only tweeted about ACNH and that Clubhouse thingy? I think they may all be lining up for an announcement at the same time

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
:ultmario:: Waluigi
:ultlink:: Tetra
:ultwario:: Ashley
:ultpikachu:: Blaziken
:ultmarth:: Celica
:ultshulk:: Rex
:ultsonic:: Robotnik
:ultryu:: Chun-Li or Alex
:ult_terry:: Kyo Kusanagi (or Geese if only Fatal Fury)

D

Deleted member

:ultmario:: Waluigi
:ultkirby:: Bandana Waddle Dee
:ultpit:: Medusa
:ultsonic:: Dr. Eggman

......That’s all I can think of.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

My picks would be.

Super Mario Bros.: Paper Mario
The Legend of Zelda: Ganon
Yoshi: Kamek
StarFox: Leon Powalski
Pokemon: Urshifu
EarthBound: Porky Minch
F-Zero: Black Shadow
Fire Emblem: Lyn
Kid Icarus: Medusa
WarioWare: Ashley
Metal Gear: Raiden
Sonic the Hedgehog: Dr. Eggman
Pikmin: Louie
Mega Man: Proto Man
Punch-Out!!: King Hippo
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man
Xenoblade Chronicles: Elma
Ryu Hayabusa: Chun-Li
Final Fantasy: Tifa Lockhart
Bayonetta: Jeanne
Castlevania: Alucard
Splatoon: Octoling
Persona 5: Kasumi
Dragon Quest: Slime
Banjo-Kazooie: Gruntilda
Fatal Fury: Geese Howard
ARMS: Minmin
Super Mario: Captain Toad
Legend of Zelda: Tingle
Yoshi: Poochy
Star Fox: Slippy
Pokémon: Sirfetch'd
Earthbound/MOTHER: Porky
F-ZERO: Black Shadow (Captain Falcon Echo)
Fire Emblem: Caeda
Kid Icarus: Magnus
Wario: Cpt. Syrup
Sonic: Shadow (Sonic Echo)
Pikmin: Alph (Olimar Echo)
Xenoblade Chronicles: Rex and Pyra
Splatoon: Callie & Marie (alts of each other)
ARMS: Min Min

Misc. Nintendo 1: Ayumi Tachibana
Misc. Nintendo 2: Ryota Hayami (with Akari Hayami as his Echo)
Misc. Nintendo 3: DeMille (Tomato Adventure)

Konami: Bomberman
SEGA: Axel Stone
Capcom: Jill Valentine
Namco: Dig Dug
Square Enix: Sora
ATLUS: Jack Frost
Microsoft: ...Master Chief?
SNK: Marco Rossi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom