• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If we were to get a POC character that wouldn’t feel like a token character, who would be your pick?

I still support the Sandman from Punch-Out. It would be another villain type character and would be an interesting fighter type being a stronger slower Mac type with some of the most powerful attacks in the game. His character would be built entirely around the concept of easy KOs for opponents while being a super heavy weight that is also hard to knock out with loads of super armor.
Sol Badguy for obvious reasons. After him? Barret Wallace, he's probably the most iconic PoC in gaming and 7R rewrote him to be less stereotypical, he also has a gun for an arm and the most beautiful eyes I've seen

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
If we were to get a POC character that wouldn’t feel like a token character, who would be your pick?
Would the Octolings count? At least Agent 8 who I'm sure would be the default is tanned.
Rinkah will only get to be important when she has a higher strength stat than a 14 year old
Who has the highest strength grow?

A clearly physically fit warrior hailing from a tribe themed after onis

OR

Singy water girl​

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Here’s a hot take. I bet we get Elma or Seven before we get Rex. I don’t think we’re getting Rex.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

I still support the Sandman from Punch-Out. It would be another villain type character and would be an interesting fighter type being a stronger slower Mac type with some of the most powerful attacks in the game. His character would be built entirely around the concept of easy KOs for opponents while being a super heavy weight that is also hard to knock out with loads of super armor.
Elma

Shantae

Chun-Li

Sakura

Last edited:
Some thoughts about the ARMS rep...

I know it's super unlikely because of the ridiculous amount of work it'd represent for a single DLC slot but i was thinking... what if we end up getting a Hero situation in which the various ARMS fighters actually have some of their key differences in their moveset. Basically, a bunch of ARMS echo fighters (or clones, whatever you want to call them) all stacked in 1 character slot.

Like i said, very unlikely scenario i know but still, i think the hype levels would go through the roof even for people who are not necessarily ARMS fans/players.

Admittedly, i only have a very basic knowledge of the characters and mechanics in ARMS so i'm not even sure if some characters are similar enough to be echos/clones, but yeah it's just a crazy idea i wanted to share (and tbh, the idea of Hero having 4 character models, voice actors and 30 special moves is also pretty crazy when you think about it... so like, a Hero situation but crazier).

I just can't shake the feeling that the ARMS rep will have something crazy, mainly because of that weird ass teaser showing multiple characters. It can't be just Springman or maybe it is... idk... just reveal the damn fighter already... i'm losing my mind here.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

CJ or Shantae, though if I had to choose one then probably CJ since San Andreas is one of my favorite games.

Some guilty pleasure picks that obviously wouldn't happen ever include Rinkah from Fire Emblem, Birdie from Street Fighter, and Lucky Glauber from KoF.

It's a shame though that the voice actor of CJ has a big grudge against Rockstar Games, meaning that his already low chances are flat out 0% now.

EDIT: Also it probably wouldn't count for obvious reasons, but Lee Everett or Clementine from Telltale's The Walking Dead game would be amazing.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

I know it's super unlikely because of the ridiculous amount of work it'd represent for a single DLC slot but i was thinking... what if we end up getting a Hero situation in which the various ARMS fighters actually have some of their key differences in their moveset. Basically, a bunch of ARMS echo fighters (or clones, whatever you want to call them) all stacked in 1 character slot.

Like i said, very unlikely scenario i know but still, i think the hype levels would go through the roof even for people who are not necessarily ARMS fans/players.

Admittedly, i only have a very basic knowledge of the characters and mechanics in ARMS so i'm not even sure if some characters are similar enough to be echos/clones, but yeah it's just a crazy idea i wanted to share (and tbh, the idea of Hero having 4 character models, voice actors and 30 special moves is also pretty crazy when you think about it... so like, a Hero situation but crazier).

I just can't shake the feeling that the ARMS rep will have something crazy, mainly because of that weird ass teaser showing multiple characters. It can't be just Springman or maybe it is... idk... just reveal the damn fighter already... i'm losing my mind here.
I think they could have different aesthetics a la Byleth. Different idle poses, different taunts, different victories, different idle animations, that could all work and not have to have the characters split with different gameplay attributes and is actually the way I think they’ll do it. Think how Daisy is, echo with basically no gameplay differences, all loaded into one spot and I think it’s feasible.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
If the Arms rep is actually a Hero situation, what would the name on the CSS be? Spring Man and the rest change like Olimar/Alph?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Rinkah will only get to be important when she has a higher strength stat than a 14 year old
I thought she was a caster so I was wondering why that mattered. lol

CJ from Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
I wonder if they'd make him pull his pants up...

If they don't, I can probably ignore it if they don't make one of his idle animations that thing I've seen at school where the kid pulls up the pants to keep them from falling down and then puts them back down again because he doesn't want to wear them at hip level.

I said 14, I clearly meant Sakura
Oh boy Sakura. I never played Fire Emblem Fates, but she takes forever to kill things in Fire Emblem Warriors. I get that she's a healbot and shouldn't be a killing machine, but come on.

Would the Octolings count? At least Agent 8 who I'm sure would be the default is tanned.
Any character that can be any ethnicity counts in my opinion. They can be whatever you want so it counts as everything.

You know, I never really got oriental people being referred to as people of color. They're just as white as an American or European. I mean, they're still a minority within America but they aren't brown at all...

And yeah, I know they've been referred to as yellow historically, but I don't really understand that either.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Shantae.

Well I have nothing to do with what Lesley does or says
You're right, you don't. And it's pretty unfair that their toxic behavior makes it so people here have an automatic negative response to anyone else that happens to express the same viewpoint. But that's the situation.

It's like when really terrible Geno fans cause people to think all Geno fans are terrible.

That said, while you aren't nearly as bad, your attitude hasn't exactly been great, which causes people to not want to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Aside from Max Brass and Byleth (and we already got the latter), Octoling is pretty much my most wanted first-party.

And yes, it counts because meet female Agent 8. who was all over the marketing for Octo Expansion to the point of being its mascot and thus, would likely be the default look.

1591807154420.png

They also wouldn't be a token character because moveset-wise, Inkling has nothing that was introduced in Splatoon 2, so the Octos have a lot of untapped potential that could give a fresh and unique moveset. Dualies, Brellas, Booyah Bomb as a Final Smash... they might even use weapons from the first game that didn't get used for Inkling like the Chargers.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's a shame though that the voice actor of CJ has a big grudge against Rockstar Games, meaning that his already low chances are flat out 0% now.
It wouldn't necessarily mean that he wouldn't record for Nintendo...or that they wouldn't replace him...

This design is much more suited to a custom character rather than alternate costumes, as so far there are no differences between alternate costumes, and it wouldn't be a good idea to add them.

...they might even use weapons from the first game that didn't get used for Inkling like the Chargers.
The charger would fit quite well on them since a lot of the Octoling enemies are snipers. Also a sniper in Smash would be cool.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I find it hilarious for the fact that if Spring Man WASN’T an assist trophy then we probably would be having no discussion over who the ARMS rep is. The assist trophy status is the one thing that people lean on for it to be other characters.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
There's no reason to not want Spirit/AT upgrades, unless you don't like the idea of people having hope.
Or you know, you could be hoping for new franchises or characters that aren't a Spirit or AT.
And then there's me, who can accept both cases.
Nthe game. His character would be built entirely around the concept of easy KOs for opponents while being a super heavy weight that is also hard to knock out with loads of super armor.[/QUOTE]
Prior to Byleth's reveal, I was hoping for Claude von Riegan from the same game.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I find it hilarious for the fact that if Spring Man WASN’T an assist trophy then we probably would be having no discussion over who the ARMS rep is. The assist trophy status is the one thing that people lean on for it to be other characters.
Ehh...

"Yeah, there's no way it's Spring Man. They wouldn't show us all 15 characters if it was Spring Man."

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

My picks would be.

Super Mario Bros.: Paper Mario
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong
The Legend of Zelda: Ganon
Metroid: Sylux
Yoshi: Kamek
Kirby: Bandana Dee
StarFox: Leon Powalski
Pokemon: Urshifu
EarthBound: Porky Minch
F-Zero: Black Shadow
Fire Emblem: Lyn
Kid Icarus: Medusa
WarioWare: Ashley
Metal Gear: Raiden
Sonic the Hedgehog: Dr. Eggman
Pikmin: Louie
Animal Crossing: Tom Nook
Mega Man: Proto Man
Punch-Out!!: King Hippo
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man
Xenoblade Chronicles: Elma
Ryu Hayabusa: Chun-Li
Final Fantasy: Tifa Lockhart
Bayonetta: Jeanne
Castlevania: Alucard
Splatoon: Octoling
Persona 5: Kasumi
Dragon Quest: Slime
Banjo-Kazooie: Gruntilda
Fatal Fury: Geese Howard
ARMS: Minmin

Rate my opinion.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
It wouldn't necessarily mean that he wouldn't record for Nintendo...or that they wouldn't replace him...
Based on what he said a few months back, I'm pretty sure he wants nothing to do with the character in any way since it could benefit Rockstar. And I mean... they could get another VA, but Rockstar probably won't use CJ for anything anymore like with what they did with Niko after his VA trashed Rockstar.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Aside from Max Brass and Byleth (and we already got the latter), Octoling is pretty much my most wanted first-party.

And yes, it counts because meet female Agent 8. who was all over the marketing for Octo Expansion to the point of being its mascot.

View attachment 274372

It also wouldn't be a token character because moveset-wise, Inkling has nothing that was introduced in Splatoon 2, so the Octos have a lot of untapped potential that could give a fresh and unique moveset. Dualies, Brellas, Booyah Bomb as a Final Smash... they might even use weapons from the first game that didn't get used for Inkling like the Chargers.
I see you’re a person of culture as well!

I had a kinda crazy idea that maybe the Charger could be a side recovery in midair by summoning a grapplink and the Octoling in Octo form can damage an enemy if they hit the enemy in midair. Idk.

also I was thinking either Inkjet or Baller for a final smash as both specials are used to clear some levels in Octo Expansion

Goombaic

Smash Ace
There's no reason to not want Spirit/AT upgrades, unless you don't like the idea of people having hope.
Other than wanting spirits to actually hold their purpose and not be rendered pointless by a so-called "upgrade" but since I'm the only person that cares about World of Light, spirits, and singleplayer Smash in general left in existence I'll just watch in anguish as Spring Man is added.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Other than wanting spirits to actually hold their purpose and not be rendered pointless by a so-called "upgrade" but since I'm the only person that cares about World of Light, spirits, and singleplayer Smash in general left in existence I'll just watch in anguish as Spring Man is added.
Then you should care that they're adding DLC characters and not adding them to classic modes and spirit battles where appropriate.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

My picks would be.

Super Mario Bros.: Paper Mario
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong
The Legend of Zelda: Ganon
Metroid: Sylux
Yoshi: Kamek
Kirby: Bandana Dee
StarFox: Leon Powalski
Pokemon: Urshifu
EarthBound: Porky Minch
F-Zero: Black Shadow
Fire Emblem: Lyn
Kid Icarus: Medusa
WarioWare: Ashley
Metal Gear: Raiden
Sonic the Hedgehog: Dr. Eggman
Pikmin: Louie
Animal Crossing: Tom Nook
Mega Man: Proto Man
Punch-Out!!: King Hippo
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man
Xenoblade Chronicles: Elma
Ryu Hayabusa: Chun-Li
Final Fantasy: Tifa Lockhart
Bayonetta: Jeanne
Castlevania: Alucard
Splatoon: Octoling
Persona 5: Kasumi
Dragon Quest: Slime
Banjo-Kazooie: Gruntilda
Fatal Fury: Geese Howard
ARMS: Minmin

Rate my opinion.
Chef’s kiss perfection all around!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Based on what he said a few months back, I'm pretty sure he wants nothing to do with the character in any way since it could benefit Rockstar. And I mean... they could get another VA, but Rockstar probably won't use CJ for anything anymore like with what they did with Niko after his VA trashed Rockstar.
So GTA's most recognizable protagonists will never be used in anything again because the VAs quit? That's lame. I'm sure Rockstar's to blame for the entire situation but still...

Spring Man being added would not make Spirits pointless. I don't know where you got that idea. They'll still exist, and they'll still be repping the wide swaths of video game history that couldn't be represented in other ways.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Here’s a hot take. I bet we get Elma or Seven before we get Rex. I don’t think we’re getting Rex.
My personal hot take is that thinking Elma is more likely is a bad case of Because-I-Want-It Syndrome. A disease incredibly widespread in the Smash community.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
They wouldn’t be rendered pointless, though. They’d still be there and there’s over 1k of them. If it’s a lore issue, then they’re already pointless, as they already have broken lore issues. I mean, Assist Trophies that are also dead? Pit’s past self is dead but not his current self? King K. Rool dies when he puts on a pirate/doctor costume? Sonic dies when he goes super saiyan?

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
If they do another guess game and it's "The next fighter is from the Kirby series", I'll probably die before the actual reveal, I can't survive 3 months of that.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I wouldn't say an upgrade destroys the purpose of a Spirit. If anything, I consider it a best of both worlds scenario.

Regardless, Spring Man fighting a Spring Man Spirit makes just as much sense as Mario fighting tennis outfit Mario.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If they do another guess game and it's "The next fighter is from the Kirby series", I'll probably die before the actual reveal, I can't survive 3 months of that.
Better.

"The next fighter is yet again from Fire Emblem".

The salt would be real.

Last edited:

Franauts

Smash Cadet
Smash is a game for good boys and girls, GTA is a crime simulator, the main characters torture and murder civilians and other criminals. Also, I don't know if GTA is something popular in Japan, I remember that San Andreas was published by Capcom in the East. GTA is undoubtedly an important franchise and one of the most successful, but I don't know, I don't see it happening.

SKX31

Smash Master
I wouldn't say an upgrade destroys the purpose of a Spirit. If anything, I consider it a best of both worlds scenario.

Regardless, Spring Man fighting a Spring Man Spirit makes just as much sense as Mario fighting tennis outfit Mario.
The Spring Man Spirit is, to top things off, a Mii Brawler with the Spring Man outfit.

Without the Spring Man AT auto-spawning.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Gonna be real, if East Asians count as PoC, then Smash has a fairly good number of PoCs.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
My personal hot take is that thinking Elma is more likely is a bad case of Because-I-Want-It Syndrome. A disease incredibly widespread in the Smash community.
The only cure is a special isolation unit called the hope unit and they come out a completely different user. I still remember when the disease was making people specifically want Bubsy but the extensive quarantine within the unit helped them for the better and now it triggers wants for more realisable characters. They think there should be a cure by the end of 2021

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What did the green dinosaur from Toy Story ever do to you? :troll:
He kept making inappropriate remarks when I wore my hair in a ponytail

Anyway, one character per existing franchise, skipping those without fighters or struggle to find someone I care about getting in
:ultbayonetta: Rodin
:ultcloud:Terra Branford
:ultdk:Dixie
:ultfox:Krystal
:ulthero2:Jessica Albert
:ultkirby:Susie
:ultlink:Ghirahim
:ultlittlemac:Doc Louis
:ultmario:Vivian
:ultmarth:Edelgard
:ultmegaman:Zero
:ultness:Kumatora
:ultpikachu:Aggron
:ultpit:Hades
:ultryu:Rashid
:ultsamus:Rhundas
:ultshulk:Elma
:ultsimon:Shanoa
:ultsnake:Raiden
:ultsonic:Blaze
:ult_terry:Leona
:ultvillager:Tom Nook
:ultwario:Ashley

No I don't respond to criticism

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Better.

"The next fighter is yet again from Fire Emblem".

The salt would be real.
Ironically I would survive more to that... it's not the salt, it's that feel of being one step from your favorite getting in and a big chance that your hopes will be destroyed at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom