• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I 100% agree..I'm also annoyed anytime someone says something like 'x is only liked because they're female' or, its more annoying cousin, 'x is only liked because of perverted reasons'..like any time I see someone 'justifying' female alts like Robin, Corrin, Byleth, etc being more popular they also default to it being solely due to perverted reasons and it pisses me off every single time since, you know, maybe you like the design more or just like playing as a female more..or even just like their personality more as a female character..

..oh, and I love you using Velvet Crowe for that example..as you can see in my sig, she's one of my most wanted characters.
It's that collective mentality of people looking down on others for preferring female characters. Someone can even have a preference skewed a bit more towards female characters but there's still likely more reasons why they like those characters, like personality, design, how they would fight, ability to connect with those kinds of characters on a more personal level, etc.

Or even aesthetic reasons. I personality prefer female characters most of the time cause I find it very difficult to be motivated enough to play characters that aren't aesthetically pleasing to me. Female characters fulfill that for me, and aesthetic is an important part of many people's character choices in fighting games, so I really don't understand what the problem is. That doesn't mean I like characters only cause they're female, cause they still have to have a design and personality that appeals to me aside from that.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
actually though, now that i think about it, This is gonna sound very stupid, but

If Spring Man becomes Playable, but Also Geno becomes Playable, Does that mean the Likelyhood of Bonus characters becomes much more likely, because i know alot of people Look at Waluigi as The Banjo of ATs, but there's no way the would make TWO Whole Fighter Packs dedicated to Mario, but i know that People would expect Waluigi all day anyway.

Does this also mean Rex and Shadow are Playable?
But we aren't getting bonus characters. Sakurai said in a famitsu column where he isn't being out on the spot like in an interview that this is the end. He said himself tantrums will be the end of Smash Ultimate. He could change his mind but the fact he actively said he thought it would finally complete the game suggests otherwise.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Honestly, I don't really see how asking for more women in gaming is worse than people wanting more non-sword users in Smash, or more reps from lesser represented franchises (F-Zero, WarioWare, Kirby etc.), or more villains/antagonists, or more western characters etc.

At the end of the day it all boils down to people wanting diversity in different areas. And there's nothing really wrong with that.

And asking for more women shouldn't even be that looked down upon an idea either considering, you know, there are still plenty of notable women in gaming that could be added, whether notable in terms of being iconic, being popular, being important within an important/popular game/franchise, etc.

I mean, off the top of my head:

• Chun Li
  • Tifa
  • Terra
  • Dixie Kong
  • Medusa (Kid Icarus)
  • Lara Croft
  • 2B
  • Ms. Pacman
  • Pauline
  • Shantae
  • Elma
  • Edelgard
  • Lyndis (fire Emblem)
  • Jeanne (Bayonetta)
  • KOS-MOS
  • Ashley (WarioWare
And there's probably WAAAAAAY more. So it's not like people asking for more women to be in Smash is going to lead to "forced" characters, when there are plenty of female characters that absolutely have plenty of value or things to their character beyond their gender, thus making them not "forced" at all.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
How on earth are Terry and Spring Man both cookie-cutter characters when the only thing they have in common is the color of their skin and (assumedly) nationality?
Don't you know that skin color, gender and sexuality are the only three character traits characters can have, and that any two characters who share any three traits are exactly the same?

The fact that Springman is likely Japanese (its hard to tell sometimes with anime artstyles). I get wanting more diversity but sometimes it gets to the point where people almost seem to imply a character (or sometimes a real person) being white and male is a bad thing. Can we shill for more minority characters without implying that please, intentionally or otherwise? I think that's one of the main reasons some people get so upset when someone shills for minority characters.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
see i just want min min because shes cool and has a lot of cool abilities that can mesh well to make a fun character in smash.

all of the characters in arms have great designs but she is my preference because i believe she offers the most to make the most of the core design an ARMS character can have (that and shes my fav character in the game, but thats besides the point lol)

Krankees

Smash Ace
I've noticed that I'm usually pretty easily swayed for a character's inclusion if they come with good music. I came up with small list just to ramble about it.

-Cornered from Ace Attorney will always be iconic to me and I think it should be in smash.

-Unbreakable Determination from Ninja Gaiden is the main reason I'd like Ryu Hayabusa for smash.

-Kingdom Hearts has many good songs such as the Destiny Island Heartless battle theme or the Lingering Will theme which is why I think Sora would be a good inclusion.

-I just listened to Rayman's theme from Rayman Arena and now I'm more persuaded for Rayman in smash.

There are more but those are just four quick examples.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
C'mon, how could you guys not like this scamp?

400px-Victory_springman.gif

Wanting more female reps is fine, but I'm seeing too many people write off the male characters just because of their gender. That's not really fair. There are lots of other qualities that make a character appealing aside from their gender.

Whether or not a character is female shouldn't be your sole basis for choosing characters.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't think blaming Sakurai or Nintendo or Smash for picking characters that usually are male and light-skinned, because that's usually what main characters are and main characters are the best way to represent a series or game.

I think the way to go about it is to demand more main characters that aren't that. Thankfully we've reached a point culturally where a main character can be a woman, a person of color, or both without that being seen as disruptive of the "genericness" or "normality" that the role requires. We're going to see more of that, although given how large Japan's gaming output is and its lack of racial diversity, the PoC front will probably be the West.

As for Smash? Well, I've seen a lot of people say that characters from represented franchises aren't exciting anymore, but if you want these kinds of characters you're going to have to support them, because second and even third reps are where these characters start to become candidates.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Cormano for Smash Bros! He would be the coolest and most unique character! Comes from the Wild West, he'd be a gunner type character and his default colour would be pink!

6977_sunset_header.jpg

Then you'd have this banger remastered and playing in his trailer.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
ok so here's my 2 cents on this

you want a female character? absolutely go ahead, be my guest, it's ok to like a character and want them in smash, that's why we're all here

you want more females for diversity? sure!

but the point where you start writing off characters/calling them cookie-cutter/whatever on the sole basis that they're male, that's where i draw the line. that line of thinking is..........unfortunate, to say the least

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Literally every time someone expresses some disappointment over a dlc character not being female, there's people ready to jump down their throats, whether it's me or someone else.
Maybe because it's always the same 2 people and they've "expressed" it about 200 times now. Despite the fact that there's only been 6 character announcements so far.

And asking for more women shouldn't even be that looked down upon an idea either considering
I don't have a problem with people asking for SPECIFIC female characters. I have a problem with someone who just wants ANY female character. Like it could be a character they've never even heard of, and they'd still be happy as long as it's a woman. Because it means they just want a quota, not an actual character.

Last edited:

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Maybe because it's always the same 2 people and they've "expressed" it about 200 times now. Despite the fact that there's only been 6 character announcements so far.
Wow only 6 characters so far, not like that’s half of the dlc characters we’re getting or anything.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Wow only 6 characters so far, not like that’s half of the dlc characters we’re getting or anything.
That's not the point. The point is each person makes the EXACT SAME COMPLAINT about 30 times for EACH character reveal.

It get's very exhausting listening to Lesley act like they've been physically harmed a dozen times every time there's a character reveal.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
The female character I most want is Coco Bandicoot as an Echo of Crash.
If that doesn't count, then Lara Croft.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
That's not the point. The point is each person makes the EXACT SAME COMPLAINT about 30 times for EACH character reveal.

It get's very exhausting listening to Lesley threaten self-harm a dozen times every time there's a character reveal.
Well I have nothing to do with what Lesley does or says, but it’s pretty fair if I express disappointment with each character reveal that refuses to include a character that I can enjoy. And starting a discussion about it is not complaining about it “30 times each character reveal.” I haven’t even come here for every character reveal either. Just like others here, you’re construing my actions to suit your argument and justifying your terrible behavior in response to valid complaints just because you don’t agree with it. Again, that “looking down on others” mentality I was talking about.
The female character I most want is Coco Bandicoot as an Echo of Crash.
If that doesn't count, then Lara Croft.
Lara Croft would be amazing. She more than deserves a spot in Smash.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master

I don't have a problem with people asking for SPECIFIC female characters. I have a problem with someone who just wants ANY female character. Like it could be a character they've never even heard of, and they'd still be happy as long as it's a woman. Because it means they just want a quota, not an actual character.
I don't know, do the types that want more female characters actually wanting characters they've never heard of or know absolutely nothing about? Maybe there are dozens of female characters they know or like, and/or maybe dozens beyond those that they don't know much about personally or in great detailbut still know they are important or iconic and thus would still be happy to see. Maybe them expressing "I just want more females" is quicker for them then listing literally every female character that they like or know of.

I mean, I don't disagree that people would ideally give specific characters they like to see, for whatever kind of diversity they want to see expanded upon. That being said, I don't think saying something more simple like "I just want to see more female characters get added" is really wrong or should be scorned (not necessarily saying you scorn, but you know, other probably get triggered whenever someone brings up wanting more diversity in their games).

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

View attachment 274348

Wanting more female reps is fine, but I'm seeing too many people write off the male characters just because of their gender. That's not really fair. There are lots of other qualities that make a character appealing aside from their gender.

Whether or not a character is female shouldn't be your sole basis for choosing characters.
Spring Man is only “generic” in the context of ARMS. In the context of Smash, a stretchy armed guy with blue coiled hair would stand out as pretty strange.

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if we get no new female fighters for this pass.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't know, do the types that want more female characters actually wanting characters they've never heard of or know absolutely nothing about? Maybe there are dozens of female characters they know or like, and/or maybe dozens beyond those that they don't know much about personally or in great detailbut still know they are important or iconic and thus would still be happy to see. Maybe them expressing "I just want more females" is quicker for them then listing literally every female character that they like or know of.

I mean, I don't disagree that people would ideally give specific characters they like to see, for whatever kind of diversity they want to see expanded upon. That being said, I don't think saying something more simple like "I just want to see more female characters get added" is really wrong or should be scorned (not necessarily saying you scorn, but you know, other probably get triggered whenever someone brings up wanting more diversity in their games).
In regards to you-know-who? Absolutely yes.

I think it's great to want female characters and would welcome any of them with open arms, but there are VERY KEY INDIVIDUALS here that make people roll their eyes and groan, especially since said certain individuals have done things in EXTREMELY poor taste in the past like to go as far as threaten suicide.... over a video game character's gender of all things, or to foolishly claim they're going to "take down the whole website"(How? How do you plan to do that. You're not some l337 h4ck3r).

When she first started her crusade for female representation, I was all for it, but at this point, it's basically like a spoiled teenager threatening to do horrible things if their parents don't buy them x,y,z.

I still gladly welcome female characters, of course I would, why wouldn't I, but I absolutely wouldn't stand shoulder to shoulder with someone like that, someone who does things like throw ungodly tantrums or threaten self-harm over not getting their way in a video game.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I've noticed that I'm usually pretty easily swayed for a character's inclusion if they come with good music. I came up with small list just to ramble about it.

-Cornered from Ace Attorney will always be iconic to me and I think it should be in smash.

-Unbreakable Determination from Ninja Gaiden is the main reason I'd like Ryu Hayabusa for smash.

-Kingdom Hearts has many good songs such as the Destiny Island Heartless battle theme or the Lingering Will theme which is why I think Sora would be a good inclusion.

-I just listened to Rayman's theme from Rayman Arena and now I'm more persuaded for Rayman in smash.

There are more but those are just four quick examples.
Ace Attorney Music in Smash would honestly be the best. I was listening to this mashup type thing today and if history is to go by, the remixes they could make would sound tremendous. I can imagine ACE doing it and making it sound frankly amazing
Forgot to add link https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ3kyg7IwVI&t=27s

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I want Min Min because she was my ARMS main and I thought she was cool.

I don’t care what race, gender, etc the character is. I just end up liking who I like and that’s how I want it to always be.

View attachment 274348
Seen a lot of characters with similar personalities in a lot of media. So I’m kind of bored of that type of character at this point. But that’s just me personally.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Well I have nothing to do with what Lesley does or says, but it’s pretty fair if I express disappointment with each character reveal that refuses to include a character that I can enjoy. And starting a discussion about it is not complaining about it “30 times each character reveal.” I haven’t even come here for every character reveal either. Just like others here, you’re construing my actions to suit your argument and justifying your terrible behavior in response to valid complaints just because you don’t agree with it. Again, that “looking down on others” mentality I was talking about.
when you open a discussion with "wow itd be cool if they added this character i like for reasons i care about, but no, they're adding the lame character i dont care about so its awful" how the **** do you think people are going to react to it? is that not an aggressive stance on the subject towards the people that want the character you dont care about?

like yes i understand you have a certain taste, but not once in these past few pages have you even offered to mention any of these characters you apparently like. just hating on things you dont care about. like honestly, if you're literally back just to complain about it, why even come at all? it's not like we can do anything about it. tell that to the official nintendo accounts on twitter or their customer service feedback like c'mon.
we also have locations present on the website where you can talk about things you do care about, I recommend you reach out to those threads. -and hey, if the character doesn't have a thread, you are more than welcome to make it. i guarantee you'll have more fun talking about stuff you do care about vs things you don't, and that energy will transfer into the discussion too.

Also, just because you don't like something, it doesn't justify you to **** talk it when there are other people that actually like it. I may not care for Spring Man, but I know of several people that would be over the moon for him, and not because of some arbitrary reason like him "breaking fan rules". I'm talking about the people that genuinely love who the character is and what they stand for. What you call just another "cookie cutter character" really resonates with others for a variety of reasons. It's really not that hard to not talk about things that annoy you.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
is that not an aggressive stance on the subject towards the people that want the character you dont care about?
Expressing my dissatisfaction towards a character being added does not equal being aggressive towards others. Maybe if I was being personally rude to people then it would be, but I haven't.

like yes i understand you have a certain taste, but not once in these past few pages have you even offered to mention any of these characters you apparently like. just hating on things you dont care about.
I already stated the characters from ARMS that I would prefer to have. And I also agreed with Ben that Lara Croft would be an amazing addition to Smash. What more do you want? Want me to name every single character I like in gaming?

we also have locations present on the website where you can talk about things you do care about, I recommend you reach out to those threads. -and hey, if the character doesn't have a thread, you are more than welcome to make it. i guarantee you'll have more fun talking about stuff you do care about vs things you don't, and that energy will transfer into the discussion too.
As I already stated I already expressed some characters that I do want. That not enough for you? I'm only here for this specific thread-- I don't care about the rest of the website, although, I did join the Nakoruru thread during the SNK speculation.

Also, just because you don't like something, it doesn't justify you to **** talk it when there are other people that actually like it. I may not care for Spring Man, but I know of several people that would be over the moon for him, and not because of some arbitrary reason like him "breaking fan rules". I'm talking about the people that genuinely love who the character is and what they stand for. What you call just another "cookie cutter character" really resonates with others for a variety of reasons. It's really not that hard to not talk about things that annoy you.
Wow, I'm so sorry for expressing my opinion that Spring Man is lame, boring and cookie cutter male protagonist. I really hope I didn't hurt people's feelings.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Expressing my dissatisfaction towards a character being added does not equal being aggressive towards others. Maybe if I was being personally rude to people then it would be, but I haven't.
there are more ways to say you're interested in another character beyond degrading the one you dont like. I dont think I should have to spell that out to you, pretty sure that comes with common courtesy.

As I already stated I already expressed some characters that I do want. That not enough for you? I'm only here for this specific thread-- I don't care about the rest of the website, although, I did join the Nakoruru thread during the SNK speculation.
you expressed interest in what you would prefer from ARMS (and I am assuming SNK) and agreed with another user's suggestion. You havent named any characters yourself you actually really care about seeing, just all you're really looking for is a girl that appeals to you design and personality wise. I think urging people to discuss characters they actually want in the character discussion thread is a reasonable request.

Wow, I'm so sorry for expressing my opinion that Spring Man is lame, boring and cookie cutter male protagonist. I really hope I didn't hurt people's feelings.
and please lose the attitude, site is a place for chill enjoyable discussion. If you're not interested in being courteous the warnings will find their way to you eventually, just saying.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I don't think anyone on these forums have a problem with female characters being added to the game at all. 2-B, KOS-MOS, Dr. Coyle and Lara Croft have been discussed for a long time with no hassle or problem. The problem people seem to have is when certain people clamor over and over about there having to be a female character in the DLC by sheer obligation and looking down upon others while acting self-righteous. It gets really annoying and frustrating and makes discussing characters difficult or at least not fun by a mentality like that. Not to mention that a particular person greatly exaggerates or does questionable things when things don't go her way or is criticized by their behavior.

No one has a problem with female characters being in the game at all, just don't be overbearing about it and don't make it a political issue. This is supposed to be fun, not a political debate. Take those elsewhere, 2020 is already enough of a ****hole and we come here to find some escape from it.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if Nintendo is holding back on announcements due to current events. I guess we've got a couple hours until we know what, if anything is on NOA's agenda today.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I will say I still find it a little ironic that it's considered taboo to support a character for their diverse traits, yet it's completely okay to support a character simply because "you like their game"

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I will say I still find it a little ironic that it's considered taboo to support a character for their diverse traits, yet it's completely okay to support a character simply because "you like their game"
That’s because the fighter would come with other elements from the game you like, like music and a stage. Aside from the character, the stage and music wouldn’t bring more womanhood to a stage. Playing through a game also fosters more of a connection to a character than looking at a character and saying “yeah that’s a woman”

I’m not saying one is valid and one is not and heck, I definitely supported Edelgard for being bisexual, but I don’t think the situations between “I like the game” and “I want a woman” are similar enough to call it out in a gotcha-way amd call it “ironic”

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Since people seem to be keen on the idea of promoting Spring Man to playable status, I'm curious. What other assist trophies (besides Waluigi) would you want to see promoted?
Assist Trophy promotions
Dillon
Isaac
Krystal
Lyn
Sable Prince
Saki Amamiya
Skull Kid
Starfy
Sukapon
Takamaru
Tingle

Poke Ball promotions
Deoxys
Eevee
Gardevoir
Meowth
Zoroark

osby

Smash Obsessed
You know, I normally agree with you but in the context of this thread, it became increasingly annoying to support the characters that don't satisfy a diversity quota because they are seen as inherently inferior picks. People using those traits more frequently to support their faves and less often to dunk on the characters they dislike would make me a lot open to that particular discussion. Currently, it just causes debates that go nowhere.

I also have a problem with how people only bring up the diversity card when it's convenient for them but that's a different story.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I already address the fact that any character can use any arm type. But I think characters standard attacks should also be the gloves they have when in idle. It would be strange to see Min Min wearing someone else's arms for most of the battle.

Min Min is iconically depicted like this:

View attachment 274165

With her Dragon ARM. So one would think that she'd have that out most of the time right? Yeah the devs can do whatever they want. They could just have Min Min running around with some basic boxing gloves on and only pull out the Dragon when doing a special attack. But it just doesn't seem likely to me. I think the developers are going to choose someone whose funamental design and ARM choice would be the best to represent the core idea of ARMS.
I understand where you are coming from. Considering however that as I said every character can use every Arm type without limitations (so long as they are unlocked in game(. Add to that the main core principle of the series is simply punching with stretchy Arms rather than the kinds of Arms they use, I don't think it's as much of a hindrance as you're making it out to be. As I mentioned I feel (whichever character not just MinMin) will likely be treated similarly to the Inklings in the way they can swap out their weapons and that character will likely use their signature Arms for their specials. Min Min also has her kicks which can be implemented into her standard attacks. Of course they could just as easily make every other character use kicks if they wanted to, but kicking is one of Min Min's notable abilities in Arms, next to her Dragon Arm.

There is precedent within the game already with characters using weapons and abilities from other characters in Smash already Robin with Nosferatu, The Belmonts, Ness and Lucas, so I don't think this will be the biggest problem she faces because if they decide to use her it's a very simple workaround given how the game she comes from functions with the different Arm types.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
there are more ways to say you're interested in another character beyond degrading the one you dont like. I dont think I should have to spell that out to you, pretty sure that comes with common courtesy.
Of course, I also stated the characters that would be better instead, but I also made it clear who I don't like, without being mean to other people. It could've been a lot worse y'know--I could have actually flamed people, called people names, and actually be toxic. Seems like you're overreacting to me. Also, I haven't even mentioned Spring Man for the past many comments--I was done talking about Spring Man already but you brought it up again.

you expressed interest in what you would prefer from ARMS (and I am assuming SNK) and agreed with another user's suggestion. You havent named any characters yourself you actually really care about seeing, just all you're really looking for is a girl that appeals to you design and personality wise. I think urging people to discuss characters they actually want in the character discussion thread is a reasonable request.
I gave lists of characters I want many months ago--You just obviously didn't see those other times that I did. And I was staying on topic earlier by talking about the ARMS characters, including the ones that I like more than Spring Man. Really seems like you're complaining for no reason other than to paint me as a bad guy. But I guess that's nothing new, there's been a few other users here skewing what I've done/said so they can use it against me. Just be honest if you can't handle a dissenting opinion.

and please lose the attitude, site is a place for chill enjoyable discussion. If you're not interested in being courteous the warnings will find their way to you eventually, just saying.
Maybe I wouldn't have one if you weren't accusing me of being aggressive towards other people. I kept it pretty civil but you seem to want to make it out as something else.

I don't think anyone on these forums have a problem with female characters being added to the game at all. 2-B, KOS-MOS, Dr. Coyle and Lara Croft have been discussed for a long time with no hassle or problem. The problem people seem to have is when certain people clamor over and over about there having to be a female character in the DLC by sheer obligation and looking down upon others while acting self-righteous. It gets really annoying and frustrating and makes discussing characters difficult or at least not fun by a mentality like that. Not to mention that a particular person greatly exaggerates or does questionable things when things don't go her way or is criticized by their behavior.

No one has a problem with female characters being in the game at all, just don't be overbearing about it and don't make it a political issue. This is supposed to be fun, not a political debate. Take those elsewhere, 2020 is already enough of a ****hole and we come here to find some escape from it.
Well, I don't know who is clamoring "over and over" since I haven't been on this website in months--but if you know who, feel free to tell me. Also, in my case, it's actually a lot of others here looking down on me for preferring a female character over Spring Man. Some came around to being understanding, and some others obviously haven't yet. And I stated earlier that it isn't a political issue, but rather a preference of the kinds of characters I like to play. Maybe you didn't read it though.

Heoj

Smash Ace
There seems to be talk about representation in smash so imma throw in my 2 cents, tho i dont really wanna go too deep as this topic can sometimes get rather... dangerous.

When I want a character In smash it never has anything to do with their gender or skin colour as that simply isnt what I care about, like i guess it would be a pretty sensible idea if there was at least 1 purely female character in this fighter pass but again, a characters gender or skin colour just isnt what im interested in when it comes to new characters.

Also I saw some Tales of discussion here earlier and if we were to get a Tales of rep id probably be hoping for Velvet Crowe and Lloyd.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm certain had Spring Man never been an assist trophy and mii costume to begin with, people would be more positive of the idea of him being the rep.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My problem with people who use the diversity argument when talking about character requests is when they bring up nothing else to the table involving them.

I for example want characters who happen to be female, but not because of their gender. Sakura from Sakura Wars for example is in my opinion a character who representa a key part of the gaming pop culture of Japan between the influence of Sakura Wars on the Dreamcast's success, the stuff It brought to games which try to mimmicl the style of animated series (which to this day has currently peaked with Persona 5 and Cuphead), the array of Incredible music she comes with, the amount of desire for more SEGA content in Smash and also the fact It would be cool to have a character with a sort of mecha in Smash.

Meanwhile, some people drop names are random such as Twintelle without bringing anything else for them besides the fact they are female and I'm like "Ok? But you surely have more reasons to want her besides that right? The music for example no?". But I rarely see people bring more stuff beyond that.

You know, I normally agree with you but in the context of this thread, it became increasingly annoying to support the characters that don't satisfy a diversity quota because they are seen as inherently inferior picks. People using those traits more frequently to support their faves and less often to dunk on the characters they dislike would make me a lot open to that particular discussion. Currently, it just causes debates that go nowhere.

I also have a problem with how people only bring up the diversity card when it's convenient for them but that's a different story.
I think that the main problem this thread has is a that It gets extremely defensive over any take very fast.

I've been in many forums and Discord servers, all with people who share different tastes and desires from me. But we never get to dangerous or toxic points because we know that in the end we are all just talking about games and we know we should take these topics in a more friendly way, to help other people know about more games and why we like them.

This thread however just seems to have a lot of people who wait for someone who likes different stuff they don't enjoy just to jump in and try to "prove why they are wrong", instead of just trying to ignore the post and keep speculating on the stuff you do enjoy.

Not saying this thread is full of people like that (I could name drop many people who do try their best to be the difference and almost succeed), but It is true that there are some people who just makes me feel less open than in many other forums, Discord servers or even threads on this exact site where people just seem to be more open-minded.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I understand where you are coming from. Considering however that as I said every character can use every Arm type without limitations (so long as they are unlocked in game(. Add to that the main core principle of the series is simply punching with stretchy Arms rather than the kinds of Arms they use, I don't think it's as much of a hindrance as you're making it out to be. As I mentioned I feel (whichever character not just MinMin) will likely be treated similarly to the Inklings in the way they can swap out their weapons and that character will likely use their signature Arms for their specials. Min Min also has her kicks which can be implemented into her standard attacks. Of course they could just as easily make every other character use kicks if they wanted to, but kicking is one of Min Min's notable abilities in Arms, next to her Dragon Arm.

There is precedent within the game already with characters using weapons and abilities from other characters in Smash already Robin with Nosferatu, The Belmonts, Ness and Lucas, so I don't think this will be the biggest problem she faces because if they decide to use her it's a very simple workaround given how the game she comes from functions with the different Arm types.
I think Min Min could work if she uses her Megaton and Ram-Ram ARMS as the default and saves the laser dragon for specials. However, I do agree with Koopaul that I think it’s best that the ARMS character represents the ARMS gameplay as a whole instead of focussing on their own abilities that the rest of the ARMS cast doesn’t share.

That said, I do believe that Min Min can do that. Charging ARMS is a big part of ARMS and so is the left-right alternation and the kind of “one-two-punch-rhythm“ the game has.
Min Min can portray both with her dragon arm mechanic (the green serpent thick arm itself, not the laser dragon weapon). If she indeed uses the Megawatt arm on one hand and the Ram-Ram on the other hand, the Megawatt would be the big and burly ARM with hith priority, high knockback and damage at the expense of slow speed and slow retraction speed and the Ram-Ram would be a small, quick and curvable ARM that flies faster but gets interrupted easier.

If you add the dragon arm (again, the serpent-arm, not the laser weapon), the weapon on the left hand would gain a boost when charged. The catch? The two ARMS can swap positions, so either you get a powered up Megawatt, or a powered up Ram-Ram, depending on preference.

To that, you can add the multi-hit aspect of ARMS that Link’s Forward Smash has: If such moves like Piranha Plant’s Forward Tilt, Link‘s Forward Smash or Bayonetta’s Forward Air would feature heavily in Min Min’s moveset, the right arm would always be fired first. So, when swapping the ARMS, do you want a Megawatt as a shield with the Ram-Ram poking after that, or do you want the Ram-Ram to get in quick for hitstun so that the Megawatt can land a big hit?

The Smashes can then feature the laser dragon weapon. Maybe those could be multihits too? Where the right ARM, either the Megawatt or the RamRam would fire first, before the laser wrecking shop. Megawatt would be a better shield and if it hits, would lead into Laser for INSANE damage, but Ram-Ram would confirm into Laser as well, but much quicker.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm certain had Spring Man never been an assist trophy and mii costume to begin with, people would be more positive of the idea of him being the rep.
Didn’t stop people still supporting Rex despite him being a paid for Mii costume.

I for the record think Rex is toast for this game but has an excellent chance for the next Smash

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Where are y'all going that diversity is the ONLY thing people mention when they say they want a character? Like, legit.

If anything it's the opposite. You could list a whole slew of reasons why a character would be a good addition but if you so much as mentioned diversity as a talking point among many other talking points, some would jump down your throat going "UMM ACTUALLY GAMEPLAY IS ALL THAT MATTERS WHO CARES" and whatnot.

Like, it always felt like I had to walk on eggshells when I said Edelgard would be really cool to see because, among other reasons, her addition would add another canonically bisexual woman to Smash (who also had the bonus of not being a player avatar). And like, bringing that kind of stuff up shouldn't be discouraged. Representation is important.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Didn’t stop people still supporting Rex despite him being a paid for Mii costume.

I for the record think Rex is toast for this game but has an excellent chance for the next Smash
True but at the same time Mii costumes aren't seen in the same light as assists so I can see why people are more positive about Rex getting in.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I’m not necessarily sure people would be more positive about it so much as it would just make more sense. He’s in a weird spot right now where some people will write him off because he’s an AT currently, and others will point out that he’s the closest thing to a mascot that ARMS has, which bolsters his chances. And until the ARMS character is revealed, we don’t know which of these is true. It’s just that, to some people, he wouldn’t make sense because he’s already in the game as an AT. Whether or not that “rule” gets destroyed remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom