• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The reason people don't like Spring Man as much as the others should not be a surprise. The most prevalent character is usually designed to be universally likable, which is why you have peppy, go-getter attitudes that are happy and wholesome. It's made for the Timmys, the Gryffindors, etc etc., those who like up-front strong characters who are plucky and junk.

But then to a lot of people the side cast is usually always more interesting than the main character. Happens all the time in cartoons and anime and probably every medium where you have particularly popular side characters that are that huge to people because they're not the happy go-getter archetype. And that's because not everyone is a timmy/griffindor. Some people prefer the edgy, cool characters and style over substance; others prefer cold, chill strategy; and so on.

Of course, there's the more superficial stuff like guys who will want their "waifus" because they butt is big or whatever, but it would be unfair to reduce all female characters to being just that, much like I think it's unfair to reduce Twintelle's character as just being black. We can celebrate that that is part of who she is without using it to reduce who she is.
If it helps.

I was just being a dirty memer.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
actually though, now that i think about it, This is gonna sound very stupid, but

If Spring Man becomes Playable, but Also Geno becomes Playable, Does that mean the Likelyhood of Bonus characters becomes much more likely, because i know alot of people Look at Waluigi as The Banjo of ATs, but there's no way the would make TWO Whole Fighter Packs dedicated to Mario, but i know that People would expect Waluigi all day anyway.

Does this also mean Rex and Shadow are Playable?
...no?

I'm gonna be real with you: I didn't understand any of what you just said, so I don't even know how to respond.

Last edited:

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
They're obviously gonna pick the most lame boring character to add.

"Whoa, we have an opportunity to add incredibly interesting female characters whom are very popular in their game and are also of color which Smash and especially the current dlc are heavily lacking?"

"Nah, we'll pick the lame cookie cutter male that's basically already been added to the Smash roster time and time again. Please be excited!"
This. Anyone saying they're not pushing for Springman is just opening themselves up for disappointment.
actually though, now that i think about it, This is gonna sound very stupid, but

If Spring Man becomes Playable, but Also Geno becomes Playable, Does that mean the Likelyhood of Bonus characters becomes much more likely, because i know alot of people Look at Waluigi as The Banjo of ATs, but there's no way the would make TWO Whole Fighter Packs dedicated to Mario, but i know that People would expect Waluigi all day anyway.

Does this also mean Rex and Shadow are Playable?
what?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

"Whoa, we have an opportunity to add incredibly interesting female characters whom are very popular in their game and are also of color which Smash and especially the current dlc are heavily lacking?"

"Nah, we'll pick the lame cookie cutter male that's basically already been added to the Smash roster time and time again. Please be excited!"
Back to your main account, Lesley.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm just gonna stay happy that I got ARMS content, in general.

I like that game a lot, so I was bummed it missed the base game.

7NATOR

Smash Master
...no?

I'm gonna be real with you: I didn't understand any of what you just said, so I don't even know how to respond.
So Pretty much

Reggie acknowledged the Waluigi Demand back in June and put a word to Sakurai. keep in mind that Reggie retired going into the next year, perhaps as his last Wish as the NOA CEO, he was like "Sakurai, you must add Waluigi if you can"

Later on there's Plans for extra DLC. now let's say For the FP2, Geno is one of the characters that's on the Fighter Pass right, Along with Spring-Man being in, People are really looking to be hype for Waluigi

However Sakurai knows that dedicating 2 whole Fighter Passes to 2 Mario characters is overkill. If Waluigi was on the FP, then one of the FP would not have a stage, but because all have stages, then Geno and Waluigi can't be on 1 pass

Remember that WOL had 16 Slots. There's 10 left pre-ARMS/FP2. Also the Max CSS can hold up to 10 more characters. This shows that perhaps the limit is 10 characters

we See that there are 6 Fighter Passes. that leaves 4 Bonus Fighters at maximum. if Geno was in, Waluigi would have the occupy a Bonus Slot. Along with this, Sakurai talked about ARMS and Xenoblade when talking about Too Late. Rex was the more popular request and Nintendo treats Xenoblade well, maybe more than ARMS. he could be in

Now for Shadow, He also got backlash for being AT, Also he's been Wanted for like decades now, if you been on Miiverse you'll know. also the Brawl Mods. Plus Sakurai has some type of love for his edge. Shadow, as a returning AT, got a Beautful makeover in terms of Animations, his Chaos emerald, and new Function with Stopping time altogether, kind of like Isaac got Upgraded moveset. This shows what Sakurai sees in him. He could be in

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This. Anyone saying they're not pushing for Springman is just opening themselves up for disappointment.
Not unless you get so invested in whoever you're pushing that you don't want to accept anyone else. Heck, it can be like that for even an execution of a character. Remember how adamant I was on Spring Man not having any alternate costumes of other characters? Yeah, a little chill goes a long way with this sort of thing. Now I'll be able to be ok with, or even like an alt situation, and not even begrudgingly at that.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman

Or you know, they're not picking characters solely because of their gender

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So Pretty much

Reggie acknowledged the Waluigi Demand back in June and put a word to Sakurai. keep in mind that Reggie retired going into the next year, perhaps as his last Wish as the NOA CEO, he was like "Sakurai, you must add Waluigi if you can"

Later on there's Plans for extra DLC. now let's say For the FP2, Geno is one of the characters that's on the Fighter Pass right, Along with Spring-Man being in, People are really looking to be hype for Waluigi

However Sakurai knows that dedicating 2 whole Fighter Passes to 2 Mario characters is overkill. If Waluigi was on the FP, then one of the FP would not have a stage, but because all have stages, then Geno and Waluigi can't be on 1 pass

Remember that WOL had 16 Slots. There's 10 left pre-ARMS/FP2. Also the Max CSS can hold up to 10 more characters. This shows that perhaps the limit is 10 characters

we See that there are 6 Fighter Passes. that leaves 4 Bonus Fighters at maximum. if Geno was in, Waluigi would have the occupy a Bonus Slot. Along with this, Sakurai talked about ARMS and Xenoblade when talking about Too Late. Rex was the more popular request and Nintendo treats Xenoblade well, maybe more than ARMS. he could be in

Now for Shadow, He also got backlash for being AT, Also he's been Wanted for like decades now, if you been on Miiverse you'll know. also the Brawl Mods. Plus Sakurai has some type of love for his edge. Shadow, as a returning AT, got a Beautful makeover in terms of Animations, his Chaos emerald, and new Function with Stopping time altogether, kind of like Isaac got Upgraded moveset. This shows what Sakurai sees in him. He could be in
Your posts of late have been reading like satirical conspiracy theories, and they probably only make sense to you as far as the logic goes. Shadow, Geno, and Waluigi could definitely be candidates, and I could see any one of them making it in, but I don't think these would be the reasons for it.

Why's that? The most common reason I've heard is that he's become a mascot for the series that would greatly rep both SMT and Persona at the same time.
I don't know about the Jack Frost stans, but I'd want him because he's a cute li'l snowman dude.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Why's that? The most common reason I've heard is that he's become a mascot for the series that would greatly rep both SMT and Persona at the same time.
Yes. Also, I like my cereal box mascots.
Ask anyone that knows me who my most wanted Smash characters are.

ZelDan

Smash Master
So Pretty much

I'm pretty sure Sakurai said that the 6 characters of FP2 would be the last of Smash Ultimate, so yeah that kinda kills any potential for bonus characters.

Also Shadow having an outcry over his AT I don't think will help him much when the likes of Waluigi and Isaac not only also got outrage over their ATS, but probably much moreso than Shadow. Unless FP2 is nothing but AT promotion or mostly AT promotions (which I doubt will be the case), I don't think Shadow's chances are helped that much by whatever outcry his AT got.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I see EXTRA-verse as a spin-off of the original visual novel but I get where you're coming from.

Also, this reminds me of this guy who was hell-bent on Joker not being a video game character because his game was "too anime" or something like that.
Type:Moon seems to count it as part of the main series..though it is definitely more split from the original VN's timeline than other parts are...Fate is such a weird series..makes Kingdom Hearts look like nothing lol
I mean, we have stay night (and its routes) which leads into Hollow Ataraxia..and then there's Apocrypha, which is in a parallel timeline where the Grail wasn't corrupted and the 3rd & 4th Fuyuki wars didn't happen due to the Greater Grail being stolen by the Nazis..Fate/Zero is more-or-less a prequel to stay night..but its in a very similar different reality officially due to minor canonical differences..then Fate/Extra has a timeline split much earlier in the timeline..and has three different routes (and even more micro-routes) with Fate/Extra, Extra CCC, and Extra Last Encore..and then the Extella games which are continuations of an unseen fourth alternate outcome to Fate/Extra..I don't even know where to place Fate/Grand Order since its time traveling and timeline hoping has it link up to all of the different timelines..and that's not even getting into Fate/strange fake and Fate/prototype..which began life as an April Fool's Joke and the original idea for Fate/stay night respectively.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
This wouldn't be after the Pass. this would be inbetween.
So you're expecting Sakurai to, between now and 2022, make ten entire characters?

I'm sorry, but no, this sounds crazy.

Or that perhaps Sakurai and his team intentionally gave themselves more slots than required just in case they'd get the request of extra seasons?

Because here's a reminder; Volume 2 wasn't even thought of back when those slots were added.

Last edited:

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Yes. Also, I like my cereal box mascots.
Ask anyone that knows me who my most wanted Smash characters are.
If you had asked me 2 years ago if I would prefer Jack Frost and Slime or Joker and Hero, I would have absolutely picked the mascots in a heartbeat.
But now I'm not so sure...

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
ARMS talk again, huh? I don't really see Spring-Man as that generic, since compared to a lot of other main fighting game protags like Liu Kang or Akira or Ryo, he's not a Diet Ryu looking dude. The coiled Pompadour and bright neon blue makes him stand out. Granted, most of ARMS' cast would be pretty sick. Just because most of the cast is nicely designed. Like, there's a reason Scorpion and Sub-Zero are the Ryu and Ken of MK, they've got cooler interpretation of being simple but effect designs. Of course, it also helps they got waaaaay more stylish overtime.

That said, I happen to like Ryu a lot, since I feel like his design is very thought out "perfected simplicity", that gives you an idea of who he is. I kind of don't feel that way about Akira or Ryo. Who have cooler looking counterparts in Terry, Kyo or Jin/Kazuya.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This wouldn't be after the Pass. this would be inbetween.
PLEASE bro if they had that much extra time and resources they'd rather wait for when all 6 characters are done because people would be pissed that the pass isn't even finished yet they're being charged for fighters despite having bought the pass. I swear, no conspiracy theorists know how anything actually works

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
That sounds more like an industry problem than a Smash problem if Smash can only "realistically" choose between such a shallow pool of similar characters when it comes to their background. I mean, if Spring Man is the "main" protagonist or fighter, that is basically a priority pick unless another character is more colossal than them on a corporate level, like Pikachu or Sans.

It could also be a Piranha Plant moment where Sakurai is just choosing who he thinks would be fun to make. Theoretically, while Nintendo chose who to put in, their input could be as vague as "any ARMS character go nuts lmao". This is just hypothetical though, we will never truly know the answer unless it's fed to us. Either way, if it is that end and he doesn't choose said character, that is merely his own subjective vision of who he wanted to make into a fighter. But, he could still choose it on a whim for finding them just as interesting as you do.

I wouldn't lose hope, there will never be a right answer until the moment of reveal, so support whoever you think should get the justice. :nifty:
Or they could, y'know, just add the more interesting characters instead. This is a choice they're making. They don't have to choose the cookie-cutter male protagonist, they just choose to. And there is really no point in "supporting" the character I want to get in. Already went down that road with Nakoruru and got burned for it. They're gonna pick Spring Man or an equivalent cookie-cutter male character.

At least someone gets it.

What am I going to be disappointed about? It's just a video game. :239:
Just a video game that we uh, happen to spend a lot of time in and really want some more interesting characters to be added.

Back to your main account, Lesley.
If you look at my post history you'd see that I was also posting around the time Lesley was still here. It would be very sad to stalk someone's post history though, so how about not jumping to conclusions about a person's identity on an internet forum?

Moot point. There's a number of female characters in gaming that offer more than just their gender. They just choose not to add them.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Just a video game that we uh, happen to spend a lot of time in and really want some more interesting characters to be added.
Yes. Spring Man may be cookie-cutter for ARMS but for Smash he's relatively fresh. :090: I am unbothered by the choice of ARMS character, it do not affect me in the slightest bit whatsoever.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If I had to choose the ARMS character myself, I'd probably go with Misango. The Aztecic Asthetic is strong.

Also, I'm gonna say that Terry's a lot cooler than Nakaruru. If they added a female SNK character, Leona or King would be kind of neat(assuming Mai's out of the question.). Though I'd yeet most other SNK characters into the trash to get GEESESU HOWAHDO playable here too.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So you're expecting Sakurai to, between now and 2022, make ten entire characters?

I'm sorry, but no, this sounds crazy.

Or that perhaps Sakurai and his team intentionally gave themselves more slots than required just in case they'd get the request of extra seasons?

Because here's a reminder; Volume 2 wasn't even thought of back when those slots were added.
4 Bonus characters is the max. could get less. also keep in mind Sakurai and his team finished 5 characters in about a year. this pass deadline is to December 2021. They were also adding in modes like Stage builder and Homerun contest at same time too

Also while the FP2 was apparently said to be Greenlit around June, they were probably thinking about it as early as janurary, or even earlier, at least extra fighters.

I'm pretty sure Sakurai said that the 6 characters of FP2 would be the last of Smash Ultimate, so yeah that kinda kills any potential for bonus characters.

Also Shadow having an outcry over his AT I don't think will help him much when the likes of Waluigi and Isaac not only also got outrage over their ATS, but probably much moreso than Shadow. Unless FP2 is nothing but AT promotion or mostly AT promotions (which I doubt will be the case), I don't think Shadow's chances are helped that much by whatever outcry his AT got.
Personally i don't think Shadow would be a FP2 character, same with Waluigi, especially if Geno is in. i get what your saying, but there's more to it, more than i can explain right now

PLEASE bro if they had that much extra time and resources they'd rather wait for when all 6 characters are done because people would be pissed that the pass isn't even finished yet they're being charged for fighters despite having bought the pass. I swear, no conspiracy theorists know how anything actually works
I mean, they charge for extra Mii costumes all the time. yeah Mii Costumes don't equal characters, but still. Also as long as they Accuratly explain the differences between the FP Characters and the bonus fighters, then i think it could go over well

Koopaul

Smash Champion
In the ARMS thread I said there was a possibility that it might be Ribbon Girl. She's Mascot #2. Both her and Spring Man are featured prominently.

Min Min, in my opinion, doesn't seem like the best choice as the sole representative of ARMS. Remember that everyone. This is the one and only ARMS character they're putting into Smash. If there were more I'm sure they'd dive into the more unique characters. But I think their going to go with a fighter who has the basics of ARMS built in. Min Min is a little too unique. She shoots lasers and kicks. Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, and Max Brass are the punchy kind of characters.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You know, I always feel bothered by this argument as it implies female characters are only liked for their gender and that their only value is in being female, it reads like there's no possibility one would like say, Velvet Crowe, a fantastic character who fights with 2 hidden blades and a demonic arm for any reason other than 'hnngh womfn'

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Yes. Spring Man may be cookie-cutter for ARMS but for Smash he's relatively fresh. :090: I am unbothered by the choice of ARMS character, it do not affect me in the slightest bit whatsoever.
Depends on which aspect of him you're talking about. From a gameplay perspective, maybe. I've never actually played ARMS. But there's a lot more to a character than just how they play. There's personality and appearance as well which are also very important to some people. If someone's preferences for characters don't fall into the stereotypical male protagonist or furry characters, then they'll have way less characters in Smash to enjoy, especially in terms of the current dlc characters. For those people, they have nothing new to look forward to and Spring Man is definitely not a "fresh" addition to them.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Or they could, y'know, just add the more interesting characters instead. This is a choice they're making. They don't have to choose the cookie-cutter male protagonist, they just choose to. And there is really no point in "supporting" the character I want to get in. Already went down that road with Nakoruru and got burned for it. They're gonna pick Spring Man or an equivalent cookie-cutter male character.
How on earth are Terry and Spring Man both cookie-cutter characters when the only thing they have in common is the color of their skin and (assumedly) nationality?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
4 Bonus characters is the max. could get less. also keep in mind Sakurai and his team finished 5 characters in about a year. this pass deadline is to December 2021. They were also adding in modes like Stage builder and Homerun contest at same time too

Also while the FP2 was apparently said to be Greenlit around June, they were probably thinking about it as early as janurary, or even earlier, at least extra fighters.

Personally i don't think Shadow would be a FP2 character, same with Waluigi, especially if Geno is in. i get what your saying, but there's more to it, more than i can explain right now

I mean, they charge for extra Mii costumes all the time. yeah Mii Costumes don't equal characters, but still. Also as long as they Accuratly explain the differences between the FP Characters and the bonus fighters, then i think it could go over well
Here's the thing. Mii costumes weren't ever included in part of a season pass, characters are. Season passes are meant to be a bundle so you bought them all in one go, meaning if I bought the pass that covers every character from now until the end of 2021, I should be getting every character from now until 2021

Koopaul

Smash Champion
As was said earlier, Spring Man is kind of goofball. His personality is unique among fighting game protagonists.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
How on earth are Terry and Spring Man both cookie-cutter characters when the only thing they have in common is the color of their skin and (assumedly) nationality?
I thought Spring Man was Japanese. But then again, he loves pizza, so maybe he's a New Yorker.
Did I just make a racist stereotype? **** it. I'm white and love pizza too.
Though, if I were to dig deeper, the way he says "yea" sounds like a New York accent.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
In the ARMS thread I said there was a possibility that it might be Ribbon Girl. She's Mascot #2. Both her and Spring Man are featured prominently.

Min Min, in my opinion, doesn't seem like the best choice as the sole representative of ARMS. Remember that everyone. This is the one and only ARMS character they're putting into Smash. If there were more I'm sure they'd dive into the more unique characters. But I think their going to go with a fighter who has the basics of ARMS built in. Min Min is a little too unique. She shoots lasers and kicks. Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, and Max Brass are the punchy kind of characters.
Yeah, she's basically the game's Ken. I'd probably prefer Min-Min or Twintelle tho. So that's strictly my personal interests.

We've seen Morrigan almost always get chosen over Dimitri, so it wouldn't be the first time a "Ken" like character got picked instead.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I like Springman's design. It just so happens that pretty much everyone else blows him out of the water in that aspect.

Of course I'm still shooting for a non-upgrade (Dr. Coyle and Lola Pop being my most wanted) since I'd like that rule to remain intact.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I thought Spring Man was Japanese. But then again, he loves pizza, so maybe he's a New Yorker.
Did I just make a racist stereotype? **** it. I'm white and love pizza too.
Though, if I were to dig deeper, the way he says "yea" sounds like a New York accent.
I had no idea that that was an actual stereotype...

I honestly don't know where Spring Man's nationality is. My guess would be American based on looks, but he isn't that strongly coded with that nationality, and his musical motif is South American sooo...

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I like Springman's design. It just so happens that pretty much everyone else blows him out of the water in that aspect.

Of course I'm still shooting for a non-upgrade (Dr. Coyle and Lola Pop being my most wanted) since I'd like that rule to remain intact.
Don't make me stomp you into the ground and smack you with a tennis racquet.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Depends on which aspect of him you're talking about. From a gameplay perspective, maybe. I've never actually played ARMS. But there's a lot more to a character than just how they play. There's personality and appearance as well which are also very important to some people. If someone's preferences for characters don't fall into the stereotypical male protagonist or furry characters, then they'll have way less characters in Smash to enjoy, especially in terms of the current dlc characters. For those people, they have nothing new to look forward to and Spring Man is definitely not a "fresh" addition to them.
But on the opposite coin, a character previously perceived as boring in their home series can find enjoyable breaths of fresh air in Smash. Like dude, Ryu is so boring for me except in Smash.

There is no right or wrong answer here, this is purely subjective, so I'll agree to disagree on a personal basis. :secretkpop:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom