• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
The reason people don't like Spring Man as much as the others should not be a surprise. The most prevalent character is usually designed to be universally likable, which is why you have peppy, go-getter attitudes that are happy and wholesome. It's made for the Timmys, the Gryffindors, etc etc., those who like up-front strong characters who are plucky and junk.

But then to a lot of people the side cast is usually always more interesting than the main character. Happens all the time in cartoons and anime and probably every medium where you have particularly popular side characters that are that huge to people because they're not the happy go-getter archetype. And that's because not everyone is a timmy/griffindor. Some people prefer the edgy, cool characters and style over substance; others prefer cold, chill strategy; and so on.

Of course, there's the more superficial stuff like guys who will want their "waifus" because they butt is big or whatever, but it would be unfair to reduce all female characters to being just that, much like I think it's unfair to reduce Twintelle's character as just being black. We can celebrate that that is part of who she is without using it to reduce who she is.
I'm gonna preface this before I say something controversial:
I once made a spicy status that got me a warning for inappropriate content that was a satirical take on how female video game characters are overly sexualized to the point of raising age ratings simply for being too busty.
My critique is not that video game women are too tittylicious and bootylicious, but that our culture as a whole views women as sex objects.
With the exception of the Mario cast which is very... balloony? Name one male human character that is not a perfectly fit, bright eyed loverman. Hell, even Shulk has a costume IN HIS BARE UNDERWEAR.
The issue is not that video game women are too sexy, but that male dominated culture views women primarily as sex objects.

TTF

Smash Journeyman
Maybe not if Springtron were to take over as an assist trophy because then who would replace Waluigi?
Maybe Spike or Boom Boom? Not exaclty like Waluigi but they do appear in the recent Mario Tennis game so they could still use the tennis racquet attack.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Another issue is that ARMS is the rare chance for Nintendo to actually really promote female characters of color, and with Spring Man already in as an Assist Trophy and a Guess Who game, people are excited at the possibility to potentially see Nintendo promote more diverse icons for once. Min Min and Twintelle are consistently two most popular characters with regards to the ARMS franchise for their own unique attributes (and that goes well beyond waifu), but they also bring significant diversity that Smash is overall lacking to the table. Spring Man, again to be frank, is pretty much your average white guy protagonist type across the board, an archetype that is incredibly prevalent across tons of video games and thus something that already occupies a lot of the Smash roster by extension. It's rare for there to be many opportunities for characters of color in gaming to be front and center, let alone female characters of color who are even rarer, so there's another wrinkle to the ARMS situation that far too often goes overlooked of why going for a different character could also bring more to the table. It's not like Min Min or Twintelle are unpopular and would just be included for "quota" or whatever people are afraid of, but they're genuinely beloved as two of the most popular if not the absolute most popular characters in the game to begin with.

It's just an ideal opportunity for Nintendo to have a legitimate reason to include more diverse characters in not only Smash, but to have a bit more diversity at the forefront of the company as a whole with potentially either of these fighters highlighted. I mean, Nintendo really does not have a ton in the way of female leads, and that goes especially so for characters of color. I'm glad ARMS has been able to find some real success in this area, and for as much as I'll throw at ARMS, I'll applaud it showing an uncharacteristic diversity in a Nintendo game.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Maybe Spike or Boom Boom? Not exaclty like Waluigi but they do appear in the recent Mario Tennis game so they could still use the tennis racket attack.
But that's the problem: the reason people think Spring Tron can replace Spring Man is because, physically speaking, they're EXACTLY THE SAME. Meaning, hypothetically, all they'd have to do is recolor Spring Man's Assist to be Spring Tron, while giving the former a brand new model. Waluigi... doesn't have that. If they wanted to add Boom Boom or Spike, they'd have to make a brand new model for the Assist AND a brand new model for Waluigi. That's a lot of work, don't you think?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
"oh no if [character who is an assist] becomes playable who will replace them?!?!?! literally impossible. never achievable. deconfirmed. now yuo see..."

meanwhile in wii fit studio:

xthread.png

it could not be further from rocket science.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
A part of me hopes that Spring Man's Assist Trophy doesn't get replaced at all, so that the inevitable "Assist Trophies can only become playable if they have a direct replacement," arguments become dead on arrival.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
But that's the problem: the reason people think Spring Tron can replace Spring Man is because, physically speaking, they're EXACTLY THE SAME. Meaning, hypothetically, all they'd have to do is recolor Spring Man's Assist to be Spring Tron, while giving the former a brand new model. Waluigi... doesn't have that. If they wanted to add Boom Boom or Spike, they'd have to make a brand new model for the Assist AND a brand new model for Waluigi. That's a lot of work, don't you think?
They'd have to edit the AT's model to make it more exactly like Springtron.

And not only would Spike/Boom Boom need a new model, they'd need new animations plus code for different moves.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
"oh no if [character who is an assist] becomes playable who will replace them?!?!?! literally impossible. never achievable. deconfirmed. now yuo see..."

meanwhile in wii fit studio:

View attachment 274318

it could not be further from rocket science.
Alucard being disabled on Wii Fit Studio renders the entire issue of Assist Trophy promotion completely moot.

They went to the trouble of disabling an Assist Trophy on a certain stage just for the sake of keeping up vampire lore, something they didn't have to do and most likely no one would've noticed if they didn't. If they're willing to go that far, what's so wrong with disabling an Assist Trophy when a playable version of the character is present?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Another issue is that ARMS is the rare chance for Nintendo to actually really promote female characters of color, and with Spring Man already in as an Assist Trophy and a Guess Who game, people are excited at the possibility to potentially see Nintendo promote more diverse icons for once. Min Min and Twintelle are consistently two most popular characters with regards to the ARMS franchise for their own unique attributes (and that goes well beyond waifu), but they also bring significant diversity that Smash is overall lacking to the table. Spring Man, again to be frank, is pretty much your average white guy protagonist type across the board, an archetype that is incredibly prevalent across tons of video games and thus something that already occupies a lot of the Smash roster by extension. It's rare for there to be many opportunities for characters of color in gaming to be front and center, let alone female characters of color who are even rarer, so there's another wrinkle to the ARMS situation that far too often goes overlooked of why going for a different character could also bring more to the table. It's not like Min Min or Twintelle are unpopular and would just be included for "quota" or whatever people are afraid of, but they're genuinely beloved as two of the most popular if not the absolute most popular characters in the game to begin with.

It's just an ideal opportunity for Nintendo to have a legitimate reason to include more diverse characters in not only Smash, but to have a bit more diversity at the forefront of the company as a whole with potentially either of these fighters highlighted. I mean, Nintendo really does not have a ton in the way of female leads, and that goes especially so for characters of color. I'm glad ARMS has been able to find some real success in this area, and for as much as I'll throw at ARMS, I'll applaud it showing an uncharacteristic diversity in a Nintendo game.
I disagree. I think that picking a character that can represent ARMS the best mechanically is more important, and as the simplest of the bunch, Spring Man is the best choice by far. If there's a way to add a bunch of ARMS's characters in at the same time without compromising any of them, then heck yeah! Throw in as many as possible! But if it has to just be one, it should be Spring Man.

I won't get mad if they add Min Min instead (so long as they can overcome her ability that's tied asymmetrical body parts), and I think she'll do an ok job at representing ARMS. But if they do add her, it should be because she's popular and/or is going to have a larger role in the then no longer supposed ARMS 2 and not solely because of "muh diversity".

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

I completely agree with you, and I would much rather see Min Min or Twintelle over Toothpaste Boy.

But this is Nintendo we're talking about.

They operate according to their own standards and no one else's, concepts like diversity be damned.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

You're technically true in that it could be good to have more females or people of color, but the thing is that in a crossover like Smash, the gender and color of a character aren't exactly the priority. What is a big priority is the recognizability of the character and how well they represent the game they're from.

If we do get a female or a person of color, the reason why they would be picked by Sakurai would NOT be those specific factors, and in fact would've likely been picked anyway if they were a white male.

You at least mentionned that Min Min and Twintelle have more than just diversity backing them up, which I fully agree with, but Nintendo and Sakurai wouldn't be like "let's just add a black woman just because we need diversity". It's just not how gaming crossovers like Smash work.

This kind of tactic is far more frequent on rosters have characters original to the IP, such as ARMS, since the characters are made from scratch rather than picked from existing IPs.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
So amigos, I just heard that there are very credible rumors that Persona 4 Golden is coming to PC, which means that a Switch port is extremely possible.
Yu in Smash?
Probably not. But still.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
So amigos, I just heard that there are very credible rumors that Persona 4 Golden is coming to PC, which means that a Switch port is extremely possible.
Yu in Smash?
Probably not. But still.
Yu Narukami with just Izanagi? i sleep.
Yu Narukami with multiple Personas? Real ****?

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
Yu in Smash?
Probably not. But still.
Seems more like Mii costume material to me.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yu in Smash?
Probably not. But still.
I swear if we get another Persona character from Atlus above everyone else they got...

Flynn is clearly disappointed.jpg

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Still can't get over Rex's pose lol. Hopefully we have another 10 years of Xenoblade to look forward to.
Rex be like "these hips don't lie".

why does shulk look like saber from fate
Dunno. Everyone's heads are quite sharp here. Elma's face reminds me of a character from another game (like a lower res PS 2 game or something) but I can't put my finger on who.

EDIT: OH! Sephiroth!

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
seriously though

xthread.png
xthread.png

am i the only one who sees it

could've chosen leagues of better pictures but that had the most similar angle

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know i do gotta ask, if Nintendo doesn't make Waluigi Playable in this DLC, do you guys think they would at least give him some type of Mii costume. I know he has the Hat but to my Knowledge he doesn't have a Whole Outfit for Mii

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
They're obviously gonna pick the most lame boring character to add.

"Whoa, we have an opportunity to add incredibly interesting female characters whom are very popular in their game and are also of color which Smash and especially the current dlc are heavily lacking?"

"Nah, we'll pick the lame cookie cutter male that's basically already been added to the Smash roster time and time again. Please be excited!"

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You know i do gotta ask, if Nintendo doesn't make Waluigi Playable in this DLC, do you guys think they would at least give him some type of Mii costume. I know he has the Hat but to my Knowledge he doesn't have a Whole Outfit for Mii
I could see them doing that.

Heh. They could also add a Waluigi Mask that gives you the hat, and his nose n' stache.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Yu in Smash?
Probably not. But still.
With the Catherine Switch port releasing next month I don't think we'll see a P4G Switch port for a while. But damn I would be more than happy to be wrong.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
They're obviously gonna pick the most lame boring character to add.

"Whoa, we have an opportunity to add incredibly interesting female characters whom are very popular in their game and are also of color which Smash and especially the current dlc are heavily lacking?"

"Nah, we'll pick the lame cookie cutter male that's basically already been added to the Smash roster time and time again. Please be excited!"
That sounds more like an industry problem than a Smash problem if Smash can only "realistically" choose between such a shallow pool of similar characters when it comes to their background. I mean, if Spring Man is the "main" protagonist or fighter, that is basically a priority pick unless another character is more colossal than them on a corporate level, like Pikachu or Sans.

It could also be a Piranha Plant moment where Sakurai is just choosing who he thinks would be fun to make. Theoretically, while Nintendo chose who to put in, their input could be as vague as "any ARMS character go nuts lmao". This is just hypothetical though, we will never truly know the answer unless it's fed to us. Either way, if it is that end and he doesn't choose said character, that is merely his own subjective vision of who he wanted to make into a fighter. But, he could still choose it on a whim for finding them just as interesting as you do.

I wouldn't lose hope, there will never be a right answer until the moment of reveal, so support whoever you think should get the justice. :nifty:

7NATOR

Smash Master
actually though, now that i think about it, This is gonna sound very stupid, but

If Spring Man becomes Playable, but Also Geno becomes Playable, Does that mean the Likelyhood of Bonus characters becomes much more likely, because i know alot of people Look at Waluigi as The Banjo of ATs, but there's no way the would make TWO Whole Fighter Packs dedicated to Mario, but i know that People would expect Waluigi all day anyway.

Does this also mean Rex and Shadow are Playable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom