• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Why though? They did say in June, and E3 week is the best week to do so without risking a loss in interest and sales
Well, I don't think we're going to get a reveal this week, and I don't think that it will be next week because of the Isle of Armor.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The only thing I know is that, if anything's announced today, I'm guessing it will be shown in an hour and 20 minutes. Context: this would be the time where Nintendo would have their E3 Direct this year.
Hmm... good point... but that unfortunately means another shadow drop like the new Paper Mario, which tbh may be the norm during this outbreak

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I remember someone unironically trying to argue that Ice Climber is more popular than SNK games using the logic of including the NES mini and re-releases to say it has sold a total of 10 million copies. I am not making things up.
Remember when that one guy one twitter made a lengthy thread of tweets to prove why Byleth is objectively bad with one of his arguments being that Ice Climber is in dire need of a new character?

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I feel like those are two completely different things as one is an entire game and the other is something that could maybe indirectly confirm two dlc characters(though i dont think doomguy is getting in). Im willing to bet that Nintendo is aware of leak speculation and that if they were to take cacomallow down then its pretty much just them confirming that its real, but if they leave it alone then people will be a bit iffy on it meaning that when its time to reveal stuff the hype isnt reduced. Though i have heard of some counter arguments in the sense that even if it were to hint at two dlc characters nintendo wouldnt care and that they would still take it down because it would "hurt 3rd party relationships" which i dont really get at all.
Tbf there were still tonnes of sceptics the the ESRB leak yet Nintendo still took it down confirming it was real. At this point Cacomallow probably isn't real. They would have taken down the post if it was. It's still showed licensed content that wasn't already available so they would have taken it down. They could probably care less about speculation, if Nintendo cared about that, they would have left the ESRB leak up. It doesn't make much sense legally and that's the way Nintendo runs when it comes to these things

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Tbf there were still tonnes of sceptics the the ESRB leak yet Nintendo still took it down confirming it was real. At this point Cacomallow probably isn't real. They would have taken down the post if it was. It's still showed licensed content that wasn't already available so they would have taken it down. They could probably care less about speculation, if Nintendo cared about that, they would have left the ESRB leak up. It doesn't make much sense legally and that's the way Nintendo runs when it comes to these things
Yep. CacoMallow is a likely fake so please ignore it. I don't even think that Geno's going to get in anyways.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't think this would be something they wouldn't announce a day in advance. My opinion: The reveal is happening Thursday at the earliest.
Assuming the June 16th anniversary rumor is true I could see that. The reveal and maybe presentation being announced on Thursday and then showcasing next Tuesday.

D

Deleted member

That would run too close to the release of the Isle of Armor.
I don't think that really matters. People who like Pokemon will buy the expansion regardless of Smash DLC; people who like Smash will get the character regardless of pokemon expansion releasing the following day; people who like both will simply get and play both.

I don't think the two games' fanbases cannibalize each other at all.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Assuming the June 16th anniversary rumor is true I could see that. The reveal and maybe presentation being announced on Thursday and then showcasing next Tuesday.
That would run too close to the release of the Isle of Armor.
I'm not convinced this is as big of a deal everyone has made it out to be, but reveals and such are pretty much never done on anniversaries even if they're right there. June 16th means nothing really.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm not convinced this is as big of a deal everyone has made it out to be, but reveals and such are pretty much never done on anniversaries even if they're right there. June 16th means nothing really.
It was true somewhat for Smash 4, not so much now.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
We did get :4littlemac: announced on the 30th anniversary of the Punch Out arcade game, but he’s an exception to the rule.

Staarih

Smash Master
No, hero was 3 days after three houses
Is that not "around the same time" still though?

But yeah, there's this weird conception of Nintendo needing to "spread out" their announcements/releases. If they want to show off the ARMS character on ARMS' anniversary, Isle of Armor ain't stopping it. The ARMS character may not even release on the same day, but like a week or something later (like Byleth), so it wouldn't necessary even overlap with the Pokémon DLC.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Yep. CacoMallow is a likely fake so please ignore it. I don't even think that Geno's going to get in anyways.
Why say please ignore it? You not like the leak or something lol. Anyway you can't really ask someone to ignore a leak like that. It's pretty funny you asked it either way.
Tbf im fairly sure people are fully aware that reveals never actually happen on anniversaries barring Big Mac. I'm guessing they cling onto it so can actually tell themselves there is a date or one that is plausible at least. Either way smash basically intentionally avoids anniversaries at this point so June 16th by default can be coined as least likely

Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
I don't really see how two DLC expansions for different games from the same company shouldn't be allowed to be released around the same timeframe.

Especially when it's for two of the best selling games in their current system. If Origami King points at something, is that even with COVID around, it's not like Nintendo has suddenly stopped making games; there must be a number of projects we don't know about still being developed.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Terry was also released the day after Mario & Sonic which was still within a week of Luigi's Mansion 3.
I don't think Nintendo care if they have DLC release super close to some of their other output

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Kinda makes me wish we got a stage set somewhere in Hoenn as free DLC for the 3DS version.

If such a stage happened, what would be your pick?
A traveling Battle Frontier stage.

...Wait, that was removed from the remakes. Uuuuh... Still that.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Kinda makes me wish we got a stage set somewhere in Hoenn as free DLC for the 3DS version.

Hoenn is my favorite Pokémon region, so I'd absolutely love some more content featuring it in all its water glory. A stage based on the Mossdeep Space Center would be really nice, Pokémon like Deoxys, Castform and Jirachi could be cameos on there.

But honestly, based on the fact most Pokémon stages are centered around the area you meet the Box Legendary (like N's Castle and Spear Pillar) they'd probably create a stage based around the Cave of Origin.

Honestly the fact that Ultimate already brought two tracks from OrAs with it already made me happy. But I'd love some more Gen 3 content.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Tbf im fairly sure people are fully aware that reveals never actually happen on anniversaries barring Big Mac. I'm guessing they cling onto it so can actually tell themselves there is a date or one that is plausible at least. Either way smash basically intentionally avoids anniversaries at this point so June 16th by default can be coined as least likely
I don't think they avoid it so much as they release it when they release it. Doesn't really matter when. I wouldn't cross the date off the calendar, but I wouldn't say June 16th is more likely unless they were planning something special beyond Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X ARMS.

Polar Bear with Sunglasses for Smash.
Not before he's the most popular character in the Ice Climber reboot.

While it wouldn't be free due to being a new stage (only the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U stages being ported to Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds were free), I'd pick Spear Pillar or that scene where Groudon and Kyogre are fighting and it's flashing between Harsh Sunlight and Rain, and then Rayquaza comes and fixes it all.

A traveling Battle Frontier stage.

...Wait, that was removed from the remakes. Uuuuh... Still that.
Don't worry, my second option is also exclusive to Pokémon Emerald...Wait, is that why they didn't put it in ORAS?!?

EDIT: Aaaand my first suggestion is from Diamond & Pearl...and is already a stage...oops.
EDIT EDIT: I meant Sky Pillar.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Sky Pillar and Sootopolis City would probably be my choices. The former because of how important it is to the game, and the latter because I think it has some interesting layouts.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I don't really get why both Phoenix Wright and Danganronpa get a pass for being potential Visual Novel reps, but others don't really get the time of day. And this is coming from someone who's most wanted has indeed been Phoenix Wright for several years!
I don't play much Visual Novels (the entire Ace Attorney franchise and Steins;Gate are the extent of my knowledge), but is it because of the interactivity of the Visual Novel? I think more speculation on more lowkey characters is always fun personally, so why don't they get given the time of day?
Imagine a time-travelling based moveset for Okabe Rintaro, that would be absolutely sick.
I haven’t played the VN & I have no idea how he’d work in Smash, but the anime is one of my favorite shows ever so I’d explode with hype.

blackghost

Smash Champion
OTOH, characters can absolutely have varying levels of "staying power" after releasing. Depending on multiple factors: how much the character's played (online for example), how the character fares competively (to the point people start associating characters with individual players) etc.

Meanwhile, :ultridley: and :ultbanjokazooie: have not only cooled down due to what you mentioned, but also since neither of them are played as much as Rool online nor have they seen attention-grabbing tournament results (Tweek has used both characters to great effect, but has since dropped them). :ultjoker: is the type of character who benefits from having attention-grabbing tournament results - I doubt a lot of online Jokers would pick him up if not for MKLeo and other pros.

gotta disagree. joker is a character primedfor all the former shiek players out there. after shiek got gutted in ultimate and joker comes out its a pretty natural transition to move on to joker. while they arent the same character (obviously) the combo-based play style and the ability to play at multiple ranges is similiar. you can also see this with terry. in smash 4 many poeple were interested in ryu but ryu is difficult for many members of a community not used to a grounded playstyle that needs inputs to fully function. Terry lowers the entry bar to playing a fgc character and he comes with much of ryu's power and you dont need inputs to kill consistently with terry plus almost no one is gonna argue the super special moves arent fun to do.

when characters get in its not a matter of whether people wanted them to be good or not its whether they became fun or not. K rool has a fan base and playerbase becuas eo fhis armor and the fact he is rather versitle. he has the ususal heavy weaknesses but k rool is overall fun to play.

the obivous out is banjo who got put in smash as a zoner and i dont think many people long term like playing with him. you can't just look at tournament results you need to watch what characters people play causally and what characters top players use in thier time just having fun.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
you can't just look at tournament results you need to watch what characters people play causally and what characters top players use in thier time just having fun.
But in that case, the idea that characters get dropped past release makes even less sense, because every DLC character so far seems to have a decent base that enjoys them casually.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
imagine if we not only got a Pika Libre alt but the other cosplay pikachus as well
We can't even get their shinies that's the worst part. At this rate Shiny Charizard is more likely to get in as a unique newcomer to shill for new gen 1 remakes than he is to be a skin.

blackghost

Smash Champion
As I can't really nail down who CP#7 is going to be right now, I'm just going to say I think it's going to be a 3rd party character.

Would love to say it would be Dante or 2B, or even Lloyd Irving, I just can't quite put my finger on it. I will admit my gut tells me Dante is in, but that would probably be seen as a, "yOuR'e BiAsEd" for some folks.
i wouldnt call you bias i think its the most realistic pick. if i was an executive for capcom i'd push the hottest character. plus the added ability to finally put bayonetta and dante in the same game without the legal issues that would normally cause.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I don't see the presentation happening this week unless they shadow drop it.
Game centric "direct" are usually announced two days in advance while regular Nintendo direct are announced one day before airing.
I think that's how it's been so far but I might be wrong.
Either way I don't expect it for this week anymore...which sucks 'cause I'm getting REAAALLY impatient over this.
Just tell us who it is already!!! x-(

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't see the presentation happening this week unless they shadow drop it.
Game centric "direct" are usually announced two days in advance while regular Nintendo direct are announced one day before airing.
I think that's how it's been so far but I might be wrong.
Either way I don't expect it for this week anymore...which sucks 'cause I'm getting REAAALLY impatient over this.
Just tell us who it is already!!! x-(
Honestly I'm at the point where I can't even find excitement out of this, I'll just react with "ugh, finally" because no mystery DLC is worth waiting 3 months for. You know what the worst part is though? There's a non zero chance we'll get the character people expected for ARMS anyway had they not teased the character. Nothing worse than "Wow, what a surprise! We put the character we'd have put in anyway as the super mysterious character despite saying it could be anyone!"

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
We can't even get their shinies that's the worst part. At this rate Shiny Charizard is more likely to get in as a unique newcomer to shill for new gen 1 remakes than he is to be a skin.
This is partly due to the fact that there's no real basis for a black pallet swap for Squirtle and Ivysaur...

Dang it! Now I want a black pallet swap for Squirtle and Ivysaur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom