• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
i don't care whether the Papa Genos Byleth react was real or not

IMO The fact that he would make a fake video of him having a complete babyfit rager
perpetuating the bad rep smash fans already get alongside
and then sell it as real for days before he comes clean about it just to pull a "aha gottem sorry folks" moment
and not, you know, say it was fake in the video or put it along with the "real" reaction at the same time

that's even more sad than if he actually did flip out
how desperate can you be for clicks

Last edited:

Bakabridget

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bakabridget
My thoughts on cacomallow is that I just don't think sakurai is that dumb. Like it's supposedly a test build with only 2 mii costumes on it and nothing else. Why couldn't sakurai have tested that himself? We know part of his job results in him playing the game. Testing 2 mii costumes wouldnt take long at all but apparently he needed to let an employee take it home to test it? (the video was clearly recorded from someone's living room) Not only that, but the employee wasn't afraid of getting caught so that means he must have let multiple employees take it home so that the employee in question wouldn't have been worried about getting caught and not only all that, but these 2 mii costumes absolutely had to be tested 10 months in advance? Nothing really adds up,

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
My thoughts on cacomallow is that I just don't think sakurai is that dumb. Like it's supposedly a test build with only 2 mii costumes on it and nothing else. Why couldn't sakurai have tested that himself? We know part of his job results in him playing the game. Testing 2 mii costumes wouldnt take long at all but apparently he needed to let an employee take it home to test it? (the video was clearly recorded from someone's living room) Not only that, but the employee wasn't afraid of getting caught so that means he must have let multiple employees take it home so that the employee in question wouldn't have been worried about getting caught and not only all that, but these 2 mii costumes absolutely had to be tested 10 months in advance? Nothing really adds up,
I don't buy the leak at all either, but to play devil's advocate, but from my understanding testing even simple things like costumes can be a lot more time consuming then we give it credit for. Having separate playtesters to find visual bugs makes sense.

Nothing else about that rumor does though.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
I don't really believe the Cacomallow leak in the slightest, right when it surfaced the only thing going for it was that apparently modding Mii hats and physically showing them with the character in their profile below was seemingly impossible. But that got debunked pretty quickly.

As for Geno himself. I'm not a big supporter for the guy, but it's undeniable that Sakurai has acknowledged Geno and his popularity himself on some occasions. He still has a fair shot, only thing going against him is that there are many other current (and bigger) Square Enix properties that Nintendo might come for instead. It's possible Nintendo might acknowledge his popularity and go with the fan-favorite however, like they did with Banjo.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Unlike a Cacodemon, Mallow isn't just a head, meaning he can be turned into a full Mii costume. Wouldn't the devs want to test a Mallow outfit alongside the hat?

SKX31

Smash Master
I found that MOST of the time, if you don't already have every spirit, the spirit board often surfaces spirits you don't have. So it's not like "Oh, I only have a 10:2000 chance of getting the spirit I need every 5 minutes". You usually only have to wait 1 or 2 refreshes for a spirit you don't have to show up.
Oh yeah, forgot about the prioritization. Thanks.

Tagging Evil Trapezium Evil Trapezium and Swamp Sensei.

I visit the Japanese side of Smash speculation sometimes, and it's really staggering to see the big difference of popularity of characters like Saber between the East and West. Talking about East and West, it's funny because they both think the other side matters more in terms of character popularity. Japan thinks overseas opinion is more important (hence, we get characters like Ridley and Banjo&Kazooie), while over here people think a character's popularity is more important over in Japan. It's just funny to see people get to the same (but albeit, different) conclusion.
Grass is greener on the other side. It does create an interesting contrast. I can only imagine what will happen if characters that - partly - carter to other regions (like China, the region I've been following*) start to appear. I'm saying other regions like this because China / South Korea do not have the strong console history that Japan does.

I actually found a Chinese FP2 speculation video (it's the first I've found). On Bilibili, China's Youtube / Crunchyroll. It was made before the ARMS reveal:

1. Rillaboom Baboom
2. K.K. Slider
3. Sora
4. Crash
5. Dante
6. Ezio

11 / 10.

The comments also sound eerily similar to Japanese / Western comments. Including the requests for non-video game characters. Joking or not. And I'm going entirely on Google Translate and cues in the video. If anyone's curious, link's here. While consoles are still relatively niche there, my point still stands. There is a decently sized - and growing - Nintendo fandom there. Not as big as the major regions, but still present.

FTR, while I do believe that a character that partly caters to Chinese audiences (Steve, LoL, Reimu, etc.) is a real possibility, I don't think it's a certainty. Things could certainly stay entirely JP / NA / EU focused. The only cue that Smash will see an official release there is Nintendo and Tencent choosing the base roster renders when introducing the Switch on Chinese social media:

WeiboSmash.png

Smash isn't officially released there yet (due to onerous regulations) - but it's not impossible that a character could be tied to the official release there. Which could happen later this year or the next. Again, not saying it's certain - I could be completely off base here. But the possibility exists.

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
The problem with Cacomallow is that while sure, you can't disprove it, per se, there's really nothing going for it anymore. It seemed convincing when everybody was saying that it was impossible to create custom Mii costumes in Smash Ultimate, but soon after people proved that wrong. Now you've got people trying to shut down any recreation by saying that it's not exactly the same and this horn is slightly too small when that's not really the point. It was supposedly impossible but now it's proven to be possible, and with the game out for people to make ROM hacks with, that's just not that impressive anymore.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Unlike a Cacodemon, Mallow isn't just a head, meaning he can be turned into a full Mii costume. Wouldn't the devs want to test a Mallow outfit alongside the hat?
But Mallow's only outfit is his Obliex cosplay. He doesn't have a shirt.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
At this point I think Cacomallow is fake and they were modded costumes.
I think the Cacomallow leak was made by a group of French modders. Someone a while ago posted a discord chat on twitter and translated it saying how they made Grinch leak 2.0. I don't have the original chat but I have the translation of it.

aidn.png

Heoj

Smash Ace
I think the Cacomallow leak was made by a group of French modders. Someone a while ago posted a discord chat on twitter and translated it saying how they made Grinch leak 2.0. I don't have the original chat but I have the translation of it.

i mean im 50/50 on cacomallow but this is probs fake since the guy talks about taking an old model of mallow, theres i think one mallow hat mod in smash 4 and its completely different so it cant be that one, so if its an old model from somewhere it should be pretty easy to find since there aint a whole lot of 3d models for mallow

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised at how many people follow youtubers for reveals, especially since so many of them have such strong biases, or their content is only opinions and hearsay... To each their own I guess.

The only ones I've enjoyed are Zero's first impressions. You can blame the guy for a bunch of things, but his first impressions are always genuine, and he's excited for all the new characters. And then he goes in depth at how each move looks/feels, even on the likes of Byleth that got flak from so many other streamers before they even tried the character. And you can tell he's actually enjoying all new additions, including the music and stages. That's so much more in the spirit of the game, IMO.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I feel like those are two completely different things as one is an entire game and the other is something that could maybe indirectly confirm two dlc characters(though i dont think doomguy is getting in). Im willing to bet that Nintendo is aware of leak speculation and that if they were to take cacomallow down then its pretty much just them confirming that its real, but if they leave it alone then people will be a bit iffy on it meaning that when its time to reveal stuff the hype isnt reduced. Though i have heard of some counter arguments in the sense that even if it were to hint at two dlc characters nintendo wouldnt care and that they would still take it down because it would "hurt 3rd party relationships" which i dont really get at all.
I still dont get this "Nintendo is choosing to leave it up" theory. To me, it makes no sense.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Saber would get hate for so many different reasons that it's not even funny:

Visual novels aren't real games? Check.
Debuted in an h-game? Check.
Gatcha is evil? Check.
Anime swordsmen? Check.
"Literally who" in the west? Check.
No mainline games on Nintendo consoles? Check.

Her reveal would create meltdowns in possibly every online Smash community and tbh, I kinda want to see it.
The funny thing is, half of those arguments would most likely apply to Euden from Dragalia Lost as well.

200px-Mallow.gif

Uh-huh, sure. A body like this could TOTALLY be made into a costume and not look weird.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Like, I love Steins;Gate, but I don't think you can make a whole moveset for Okarin even if you base it around time traveling.
Now this sounds like a challenge worth taking on!

Me and the other two Okabe supporters (the whole fanbase right there!) in a Discord I'm in actually thought of possible moveset ideas for him, just as an experiment. It's very barebones, but it's an interesting start:

General moves, concepts, and animations: Based on the concept of him being a turbo nerd, all kinds of exaggerated Hououin Kyouma poses in his attack animations, like how WFT uses Yoga Poses. Also as a weak nerd his things like jabs and pummels should seem desperate. He is a trap expert similar to Faust from Guilty Gear, pulling out all kinds of wacky future gadgets in his specials plus time-travel-related gimmicks and fakeouts meant to baffle and confuse an opponent into walking into major damage. High risk, easy to launch, but high reward if you can get the setup correct.

Up Smash: DK Pepper burst, soda stream has spike properties.

Up Special: Bamboo Helicam, like Snake's basically.

Side Special: Bike. Like Wario's bike but like...a bicycle.

Down Special:
Contact List - Okabe pulls out his phone and can contact a random one of his friends from a list who can call in an assist in battle. Faris, Kurisu, Ruka, Daru, etc. The final option on the list is D-Mail which can call in a random reality/time-warping effect or trap which is highly highly risky but has the potential to do major damage.

Final Smash Idea 1:
PhoneWave - Okabe sends a D-Mail that rewinds the fight ten seconds, allowing him to act outside of time while his opponent repeats their last ten seconds, giving Okabe the ability to change the future and trap and hit his opponent with some major damage.

However, that's unrealistic, so here's a spoilery second idea for a final smash.

Time Machine - The opponent is sent to the time machine Suzuha used and is sent hurtling through time and space until they crash land into the Akihabara radio tower sending them flying.

Also his stage writes itself.

It starts out in front of or even inside the CRT store that houses the Future Gadget Laboratory. As the fight goes on, time travel takes effect leading to subtle changes throughout until finally it transitions into World War 3 and back again.

Anyway, Okabe for Smash. There's, like, three of us!

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I still dont get this "Nintendo is choosing to leave it up" theory. To me, it makes no sense.
The idea being that Nintendo usually responds pretty swiftly to real leaks and starts causing a real fuss about leaks that are actually real. Sure, theoretically Cacomallow could have somehow never been a big enough deal to reach them, but it's also just literally never been touched by Nintendo, which means they don't care enough to force it down, which then means it's probably fake. That's the logic there.

But it's also indicative of the bull**** conditions people imposed on this leak in general where people have just always been exceedingly desperate to keep it alive because of their personal preference:
  • "They didn't mod a Mallow hat exactly pixel for pixel like the one in the video, so that doesn't prove anything" - Insisting on pinpoint accuracy of a recreation that benefits basically no one involved since the impressive idea of the leak was modding the costumes in the first place.
  • "Nintendo won't take it down because it would reveal that it's real" while also saying if N"intendo takes it down, it's real." Basically creating a situation where it's impossible for the "leak" to "not be real" since both scenarios lead to people being able to claim it's real.
  • "They were just doing testing early" - There have been two fighters released with Mii Costumes since this video first surfaced, with likely our ARMS fighter adding a third. It doesn't require any proof as a claim, just complete suspension of disbelief relative to when they'd actually be testing a costume for a Challenger Pack (you'd be testing multiple game versions in the past by this point, which is less helpful than testing in the current enviroment that the game is in).
And so on and so forth. Anything to keep it alive no matter how much it requires of the observer to constantly suspend disbelief or cast away the mountain of reasonable doubt now present alongside the initial video of these Costumes.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I don't really get why both Phoenix Wright and Danganronpa get a pass for being potential Visual Novel reps, but others don't really get the time of day. And this is coming from someone who's most wanted has indeed been Phoenix Wright for several years!
I don't play much Visual Novels (the entire Ace Attorney franchise and Steins;Gate are the extent of my knowledge), but is it because of the interactivity of the Visual Novel? I think more speculation on more lowkey characters is always fun personally, so why don't they get given the time of day?
Imagine a time-travelling based moveset for Okabe Rintaro, that would be absolutely sick.
It's literally only because they're the ones that became popular demands. Who knows how Monokuma's demand started going, but Phoenix Wright's is certainly because of Ace Attorney's popularity. The other characters aren't popular demands most likely because people haven't thought about them being in Smash.

I'm really bothered by all this talk about how people would get upset over these characters because they don't know who they are when Terry quickly grew on people like the day the leak happened.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just noticed, we're now on 3000 pages.

Remember when they'd reset thread that got over 100? Crazy what we can do these days.

EDIT: JINX

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
The funny thing is, half of those arguments would most likely apply to Euden from Dragalia Lost as well.

View attachment 274234
Uh-huh, sure. A body like this could TOTALLY be made into a costume and not look weird.
Hey, as Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 said, Obelix cosplay.

The dude's just natural in that look. And Asterix fans wouldn't have the big dude any other way.

Ergo it can be done in Smash too. :4pacman:

It's literally only because they're the ones that became popular demands. Who knows how Monokuma's demand started going, but Phoenix Wright's is certainly because of Ace Attorney's popularity. The other characters aren't popular demands most likely because people haven't thought about them being in Smash.

I'm really bothered by all this talk about how people would get upset over these characters because they don't know who they are when Terry quickly grew on people like the day the leak happened.
Ignorance is - sadly - often a very powerful factor. As has been said previously Fatal Fury / KOF's been big and influential in Japan, LatAm and China, but not exactly in NA or EU. Yeah, there are going to be people who have no clue about KOF or VN protags in general and thus reacted the way they did. It should be remembered that ignorance happens in all kinds of directions too.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well he's not just a head, but his only other body parts are arms, hands and feet. Would be kinda odd to see him with a human body. That and Morgana has an actual torso and he's just a hat.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
mfw nintendo didn't tweet three minutes ago so we're probably here until at least next week

1591711529977.png

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The idea being that Nintendo usually responds pretty swiftly to real leaks and starts causing a real fuss about leaks that are actually real. Sure, theoretically Cacomallow could have somehow never been a big enough deal to reach them, but it's also just literally never been touched by Nintendo, which means they don't care enough to force it down, which then means it's probably fake. That's the logic there.

But it's also indicative of the bull**** conditions people imposed on this leak in general where people have just always been exceedingly desperate to keep it alive because of their personal preference:
  • "They didn't mod a Mallow hat exactly pixel for pixel like the one in the video, so that doesn't prove anything" - Insisting on pinpoint accuracy of a recreation that benefits basically no one involved since the impressive idea of the leak was modding the costumes in the first place.
  • "Nintendo won't take it down because it would reveal that it's real" while also saying if N"intendo takes it down, it's real." Basically creating a situation where it's impossible for the "leak" to "not be real" since both scenarios lead to people being able to claim it's real.
  • "They were just doing testing early" - There have been two fighters released with Mii Costumes since this video first surfaced, with likely our ARMS fighter adding a third. It doesn't require any proof as a claim, just complete suspension of disbelief relative to when they'd actually be testing a costume for a Challenger Pack (you'd be testing multiple game versions in the past by this point, which is less helpful than testing in the current enviroment that the game is in).
And so on and so forth. Anything to keep it alive no matter how much it requires of the observer to constantly suspend disbelief or cast away the mountain of reasonable doubt now present alongside the initial video of these Costumes.
You mean one character. Terry's presentation was done before November, and these were shown in testing when he was already done. They may have been ready for Byleth. If not that, then it was CP6 first, no matter how long that took.

It's why the "it's taken a while" in itself is a flawed point. When you have Byleth at the earliest, and CP6 at the latest, you have to remember it relies very hard on how long CP6 could take to come out. And ARMS was, remember, delayed as a character. From our understanding, it was more due to problems with the character's balance or something, but I forget the details. It wasn't related to COVID19, though.

It's still fake, but it's not a timeframe reason in particular. Also, considering they're tested together, they were most likely meant to be part of the same pack. Would Byleth likely have had 7 costumes while nobody could break 6, and most of them had 5 instead with Hero being the only with 4? Most likely not. CP6 was already a very likely spot, and that character was outright told to us as delayed, so even 8 months since shown is a bit misleading. With the video we saw, they probably were ready by December at the earliest, due to the potato quality of it.

Also worth mentioning that thanks to its potato quality, it's very difficult to even get close to its detail(can't emulate the detail perfectly, of course) if the details are really really bad. The modders probably took a long time to even get them that good, but took a bad video to fake their realness. They did this when the idea of Doomguy was hot, so capitalizing off the train to make it look real. But well, Nintendo doesn't ignore Youtube real leaks anyway(video leaks specifically. Images can go either way when shown via Youtube), so it was doomed pretty early on. It would've been taken down within the month, which would imply it's real(and in time for Byleth or CP6, not Terry), but not outright prove it's real cause Nintendo does take down mods once in a while anyway, as they're well within their right to.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hey, as Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 said, Obelix cosplay.

The dude's just natural in that look. And Asterix fans wouldn't have the big dude any other way.

Ergo it can be done in Smash too. :4pacman:

Ignorance is - sadly - often a very powerful factor. As has been said previously Fatal Fury / KOF's been big and influential in Japan, LatAm and China, but not exactly in NA or EU. Yeah, there are going to be people who have no clue about KOF or VN protags in general and thus reacted the way they did. It should be remembered that ignorance happens in all kinds of directions too.
smh we already have 3 Asterix and Obelix characters
220px-Asterix-XXL2_PC.jpg

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
I'm honestly not expecting us to get a second reveal during the ARMS presentation. We didn't get a reveal during Joker's presentation, nor any info on Banjo & Kazooie during Hero's, and Terry was revealed in a Direct properly that happened before Banjo & Kazooie's presentation, and it was announced that in Terry's presentation that there would be no info on Byleth.

Just seems like it's not their thing, most we've gotten was revealed how the second Fighters Pass would be during Byleth's.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Whoa whoa hold up

speaking of “reset the clock”

don’t some insiders post pictures of otters when an announcement is imminent or something?
Gamexplain's Jon Cartwright's the only person who posts otters and he's even posted otters despite nothing happening

EDIT: Sorry Micheal, accidentally quoted your post

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If it’s not otters, I do know some other insiders tweet gifs of Reggie pointing at a watch

SKX31

Smash Master
smh we already have 3 Asterix and Obelix characters
Oh shoot, there's an Asterix game made by Atari?

TIL.

Whoa whoa hold up

speaking of “reset the clock”

don’t some insiders post pictures of otters when an announcement is imminent or something?
Shh! Don't spill too many beans Rie, otherwise the insiders will change their announcement metagame and post something else!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We don't know for sure yet if it's a Smash Direct or an ARMS Character Presentation right now. If it's a Smash Direct, CP7 will probably be revealed. If it's an ARMS Character Presentation, no chance.

I'm guessing it's the latter, but the former is hardly impossible. Only Sakurai would need to record stuff to make one work. Direct or Character Presentation.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just wondering. IF E3 were still running today, would today have been Nintendo’s presentation? Or tomorrow? They may wanna remain on “schedule” despite E3 not actually being a thing this year

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Just wondering. IF E3 were still running today, would today have been Nintendo’s presentation? Or tomorrow? They may wanna remain on “schedule” despite E3 not actually being a thing this year
They usually did their direct the first “actual” E3 day.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Ignorance is - sadly - often a very powerful factor. As has been said previously Fatal Fury / KOF's been big and influential in Japan, LatAm and China, but not exactly in NA or EU. Yeah, there are going to be people who have no clue about KOF or VN protags in general and thus reacted the way they did. It should be remembered that ignorance happens in all kinds of directions to
I remember someone unironically trying to argue that Ice Climber is more popular than SNK games using the logic of including the NES mini and re-releases to say it has sold a total of 10 million copies. I am not making things up.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm honestly not expecting us to get a second reveal during the ARMS presentation. We didn't get a reveal during Joker's presentation, nor any info on Banjo & Kazooie during Hero's, and Terry was revealed in a Direct properly that happened before Banjo & Kazooie's presentation, and it was announced that in Terry's presentation that there would be no info on Byleth.

Just seems like it's not their thing, most we've gotten was revealed how the second Fighters Pass would be during Byleth's.
It's worth pointing out that these all occurred during a time period in which regular Directs were happening. Right now, Directs are seemingly dead in the water, so how they get information to us as an audience is fundamentally different than it was before.

Doesn't mean we're guaranteed to get another reveal with ARMS, but it also means precedent is less useful in this instance when the circumstances have changed so incredibly much since even just January of this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom