• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Lowkey i'm surprised no has Accused Crash of being a Incineroar Clone. Both Spin and have an Wild Personality and also belly flop. I thought more people would be doing this
A couple of users already did this comparison a dozen of pages ago. I don't remember who and what page but I did hear this comparison before.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Rex is the only character, first party AND third party, that I'm 100% sure will be in this pass. With an ARMS character getting revealed, it's clear that Sakurai is okay with going back to characters that he missed and making them fighters this time around. Of course, this doesn't mean the entire pass is going to be the ****ing redemption arc, it just means its possible for those got the short end of the **** to get in again. The way that Sakurai basically apologized to Rex fans makes me seem like he actually wanted Rex too, so I think he is for sure in.
Be careful not to overestimate Rex just because of ARMS. There are a number of ways to interpret the latter getting in Smash aside from "it missed its chance the first time". It could be that Nintendo values the IP and wants to keep it alive, or maybe there are plans in the near future for a sequel. It could even be simpler than that and involve the developers requesting that it be included in the DLC.

Let's wait and look at the next one or two characters before picking out a pattern. A single character isn't enough to predict an entire pass.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You know since they really are going all out with Mii Costumes, do you think we can see more voice options added for Mii Costumes. Like imagine we got Travis's VA for Travis's Mii Costume, or Dante's VA (that's also Ken) with Dante's Mii Costume
Honestly I somewhat doubt it solely because your example includes R.A.D, a union actor, and considering how Nintendo dislikes them, it's truly a shame

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
"Lucario would just be a Mewtwo clone"
"Rosalina would just be a Peach clone"
"Bayonetta would just be a ZSS clone"
"Mega Man would just be a Samus clone"
"Erdrick would just be a Robin clone"
"Joker would just be a Bayonetta clone"
"Terry would just be a Ryu clone"
"X character would just be a Y character clone because they have no similarities whatsoever aside from the fact that both of them happen to wield a sword"

Heard all of them, unironically.
My favourite is someone seriously suggesting Ryu would be a Mario clone.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Honestly I somewhat doubt it solely because your example includes R.A.D, a union actor, and considering how Nintendo dislikes them, it's truly a shame
Do you know if he's required to list his real name in credits, like with Cloud's old VA. He could go under an alias like the Kid Icarus voice actors

of course, maybe dealing with the union might be too much for Mii Costume, so ehh

osby

Smash Obsessed
My favourite is someone seriously suggesting Ryu would be a Mario clone.
Funny thing is Mario in Smash is arguably a Shoto. His first three specials are clearly derived from Ryu's: fireball, rising punch, and spin attack.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Do you know if he's required to list his real name in credits, like with Cloud's old VA. He could go under an alias like the Kid Icarus voice actors

of course, maybe dealing with the union might be too much for Mii Costume, so ehh
Here's the thing though, Antony Del Rio did that to avoid issues with his union because he really wanted the role, the commander in NieR Automata also goes completely uncredited so we don't know who voiced her, in Brawl, David Hayter was listed as a special guest, which I believe is still the case in Ultimate. Palutena and Magnus got recast for Smash entirely over wage disputes. It also adds up with Cloud not getting an English voice, as Steve Burton wasn't even contacted. Not to mention NoA chose not to dub any of the Heroes

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
GAME TIME! GOING OUT WEST!!!

If you got a full pass of these Western characters, who would you pick?
MAKE YOUR OWN PASS (and describe why you chose such)
There are ten companies below, 15 characters.
I gave everyone two freebies if they take Mii+ characters.

- Crash (Crash Bandicoot; ACTIVISION)
- Spyro (Spyro the Dragon/ Skylanders; ACTIVISION)
- Vault Boy (Mii+ character?; Fallout; BETHESDA)
- Doomguy (Doom; BETHESDA)
- Master Chief (Halo, MICROSOFT)
- Steve (Mii+ character?) (Minecraft; MICROSOFT)
- Heavy (Team Fortress 2; VALVE)
- (someone) (League of Legends, RIOT> Now TENCENT)
- Tracer (Overwatch; BLIZZARD)
- Warcraft Character (World of Warcraft; BLIZZARD)
- Rayman (Rayman; UBISOFT)
- Ezio (Assassin's Creed; UBISOFT)
- Scorpion (Mortal Kombat; WB)
- Lara Croft (Tomb Raider; EIDOS INTERACTIVE> SQUARE ENIX)
- Angry Birds (Angry Birds; ROVIO ENTERTAINMENT)

If I missed a prominent character, please let me know, and I will both edit the original post and repost with the new information.
Doomguy
Tracer
Illidan [Warcraft]
Ezio
Scorpion
Lara Croft

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Crash, Steve, Master Chief and Dovahkiin I say are our most likely bets for another western rep. Crash or Steve being the most likely.
You know, you always say that the characters you pick are the most likely but you never explain why you think they're likely. I mean I could understand why you picked Crash Bandicoot but what's your reasoning for someone like Dovahkiin?

If I missed a prominent character, please let me know, and I will both edit the original post and repost with the new information.
This list is lacking Sgt. Cortez. tsk tsk tsk. Everyone knows who Sgt. Cortez is.

But anyway, he is not on this list and I suppose it's a good thing because everyone would pick him 6 times over so it's best to give everyone a fair chance to be picked so here's my list... without Sgt. Cortez.

Crash Bandicoot: He's a character on my wanted list and I think he would be a fun character. I'd like to imagine that all of his normals would include a variation of the spin attack to reference how much he relies on it in the games. I'd make his Neutral jab be the spin attack that can go into side tilt which is also the spin attack. Make it work like Megaman's mega buster. It'd also make you feel like you're playing a Crash Bandicoot game inside Smash Bros. All of his specials would be the power ups he gets in Crash 3 like Fruit Bazooka as Neutral special, Death Tornado Spin as the Side Special, Super Charged slam as Down Special and the odd one out, his jetpack from Crash 2 as his Up special. I would save the crates for his stage since they're part of the environment and it wouldn't be faithful to the games for him to use Crates.

Doom Guy: I want Doom Guy because I want him to be a primarily rush down brawler with his weapons as his utility. Make his on screen appearance him slamming down onto the floor, picking up a berserk pack and letting out a battle cry. I want him to be ultra serious, professional with a take no nonsense attitude, maybe a little humanity with him doing a fist bump with a toy doom guy.

Heavy: I don't know how Heavy would work in a game like Super Smash Bros. You'd have to take a lot of creative liberties to make him work but it's the character himself that makes him desirable. He has his Minigun that can primarily use, a shotgun for some aerial attacks, the Sandvich for some healing and to pass to a Teammate and his fists for the rest of his attacks. The problem he faces is what his Up Special could be. I thought of him being a multi-class Heavy but that doesn't seem faithful enough to Team Fortress. Maybe the Engineer pops up and puts a teleporter down for Heavy? But then I'd want to include the Medic with him. Maybe his other specials would include him calling for his teammate's help to have all the classes in the game with him? I don't know.

Scorpion: I think he would be a really cool character. His neutral special would be the legendary spear throw and "Get over here" combo. Side Special would be his teleport punch, Down special would be his hellfire attack. Don't know what his Up Special could be. Maybe it could be like a sort of Fire Fox attack or a flame teleport?

Master Chief: I don't want him as much as Doom Guy but I think he could bring something unique to him. I thought of something like instead of having him use neutral attacks. Why not make him play like a 2D shooter like Gunstar Heroes or Contra? I know he's not a 2D shooter but I don't see Gunstar Red or Bill Rizer on this list so this will have to do. Like Megaman, Master Chief can shoot while walking but can also shoot in any direction by tilting the stick in the direction you tell him to. Maybe hold down the shield while he's shooting to make him stop and shoot. To balance that out, the assault rifle he uses doesn't deal any knockback like Fox's Blaster. The only problem is that he's going to be pretty weak and bland to play as so maybe he just has normal aerials or the shooting mechanic only works when you use neutral jab or side tilt?

Spyro: I don't have much to say about Spyro. He was just the last character I liked from the list. I mean he can head bash and breathe fire but I think he'd play much like a regular character unlike the others. His glide could be activated like Peach. That's all I got... Sorry Spyro fans.

Mii costumes

Vault Boy: It would be cool to see Vault boy as a mii costume. The proportions would fit him like a glove.

Dovahkiin/Warcraft gear: Pretty much like the Rathalos and Hunter gear. Create a characters are practically made for Mii fighters because they share something in common, you can customise them and they're your own creation.

Angry Birds: They would fit pretty well as Mii hats because they'd be birds sitting on top of a nest. I'd actually like to see that.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Heavy for sure. Team Fortress 2 is my absolute favourite game, surpassing even Smash itself. I imagine some of the other classes would be involved in his moveset, most obviously Medic who can Uber Heavy for a Final Smash.

Crash, Spyro and Lara are the PlayStation mascots and I'd be happy with all three legends coming in. I'm especially a big fan of Spyro, but know Crash and Croft are far bigger deals.

I'd personally pick Rayman as he's the only other character I've got much experience with and Legends was really good.

Lastly I guess Ezio...because my partner loves Assassin's Creed so I guess that's as good a reason as any.

Final roster:
  • Heavy
  • Crash
  • Spyro
  • Lara Croft
  • Rayman
  • Ezio
Presumably this is a six man roster. Have Steve as a Mii because he'd be my next pick. Also Gordan Freeman, Chell and Bill Overbeck Mii gunner outfits to represent Half Life, Portal and Left 4 Dead.

Given half the chance I'd probably make most the pass Valve properties honestly.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Guys, we come full cycle. First we talk about blue boi now in the first page ARMS is comin' to Smash!

Freduardo

Smash Champion

I’ll take the miis, cause why not.

Rayman, Kerrigan (Starcraft), Scorpion, Spyro, Crash, and GlaDOS just for portal music.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

Master Chief: my most wanted. He would represent true friendship between MS and Nintendo. MS has been giving favor to Nintendo while receiving little in return. (Besides getting loyalty for Switch port) Nintendo should give back something in return.

Lara Croft: The most famous female video game character. Her moveset will be fun. She is icon that should not be underestimated.

Crash: I'm not a big fan, but I would like to see him to please his fans. Getting him would be like putting missing puzzle since he is one of few famous gaming icons missing in Smash.

Ezio: Arguably the most famous assassin in the series. His final smash would be calling arrow support and finishing his opponent with hidden blade

Rayman: I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't put this guy yet. He seems no brainer choice, yet still as spirit.

Steve: I'm not a fan of Minecraft, but its importance and fame should be respected. His building block mechanic could be unique.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

1. Crash - I love Crash and his games. Mostly for nostalgia but they are genuinely really good and fun games with charming environments, memorable music, and wacky characters. He is a gaming icon had that a rivalry with Mario and Sonic and it would be a shame if he missed out on the ultimate crossover.

2. Doomguy - I love Doom. I love how awesome Doomguy is, I love everything about these games, especially the music which alone makes me give Doomguy a 100% want score. He would have an awesome moveset and we could use a FPS rep.

3. Master Chief - This would probably be the biggest inclusion beside a Sony rep. The mascot of Xbox being in Smash would be insane and leagues above even Cloud and Joker. Master Chief himself is an icon and has great moveset potential. He deserves to be in a game like this.

4. Steve - Minecraft is a great game with immense potential when it comes to the stage, spirits, and the moveset. Steve can place blocks and has TNT, swords, bows, and potions which gives him enhancements like damage resistance and they can even add in a crafting system or even an enchantment mechanic to enhance his weapons. I love Minecraft and with how popular, influential and long-lasting it is, it deserves to be in Smash.

5. Rayman - This is where I don't talk about my top favorites for once. Rayman is that type of character whom I don't have a lot of history with (I've only played the first game on PS1 which, by the way, is a great game and one of the few PS1 games to hold up really well. It's gorgeous and looks good even today), but I respect a lot and it would be hyped to see him in Smash. Nintendo and Ubisoft have a great relationship so its surprising that Ubisoft doesn't have a playable character yet. Ezio is cool, but I would definitely pick Rayman as the Ubisoft rep.

6. Lara Croft - Another character whom I don't have a lot of connection to but I respect her and think she would be awesome. Besides maybe Chun-Li, Lara Croft is the biggest female character not playable yet and she represents a different type of game that isn't represented by another character. Plus she would be the closest thing to Nathan Drake being in Smash.

As for the freebie, I will accept Vault Boy as a Mii costume. I'm not a Fallout fan but I think the series still could use some representation. I do like Vault Boy and while he might not be the proper rep to represent the grim atmosphere of the games, I still think he could have personalty and I'm curious as to what his music track could be.

Honorable mention goes to Scorpion. I wish I could have picked him at least as a special Mii costume. Mortal Kombat is awesome and while I suck at the games i do enjoy the characters, lore and the music. If a Scorpion Mii costume came with the Mortal Kombat Main theme I would be satisfied.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

Nice idea. Im going with:

-Rayman: Ubisoft and Nintendo seem to have a soft spot towards him, despite the fact that he is not as popular as he used to be.
-Crash Bandicoot: Used to be popular in Japan, so a good chunk of the japanese Smash Fanbase may be pleased with him. Also he will have his Japanese cover art look as an alt like R.O.B.
-Doom Guy: The japanese will feel the same way the american aduiences felt when seeing Terry and Hero. That's.............part of the reason i choose him.
-Steve: Minecraft is really well known around the world. I see him as "German Loves David Hasselhoff" type of character when it comes to "you-know-Who audiences".
-Heavy Weapons Guy: Just for all the TF2 memes, i just hope Heavy isn't Dead this time.
-Lara Croft: I didn't like the rest of the choices so i just took the one i disliked the least.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

-Crash (Crash Bandicoot; Activision)
-Steve (Minecraft; Microsoft)
-Chell (Portal; Valve)
-Rayman (Rayman; Ubisoft)
-Lara Croft (Tomb Raider; Square Enix)
-Angry Birds (Angry Birds; Rovio)

Eldrake

Smash Lord

Here's my western pass, I guess.
- Gordon Freeman (Valve) - Most wanted character.
- Crash (Activision) - Fan favorite.
- Rayman (Ubisoft) - A lesser fan favorite.
- Rytlock Brimstone (Arenanet) - Personal desire.
- Serious Sam (Croteam) - Personal desire.
- XCOM Operative (Firaxis) - Gotta have at least one WTF character.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Western pass...

Regular:

-Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
-Master Chief (Halo)
-Chell (Portal)
-Tracer (Overwatch)
-Rayman (Rayman)
-Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)

Biased (most of them are impossible/never happening for several different reasons):

-Alley Cat (Alley Cat)
-Imperial Unit/Villager (Age of Empires)
-Kurt (MDK)
-Baba (Baba is You)
-Max Damage (Carmageddon)
-Worm (Worms)

(removed due to I forgot of Worms)
-Dust Mite/Panga/any Re-Volt car (Re-Volt)

Explanation:
-Crash:
He's a gaming icon of the PSX era, and a rival to Mario for a while. You can exchange him with Spyro but I think Crash is more iconic.

-Master Chief:
One of the biggest modern gaming icon, very recognizable. I've thought of Minecraft too but I think that Minecraft works better if referenced through stage, assist trophies or Mii costumes (I'm not sure crafting blocks would work well in Smash gameplay unless the stage itself is made of blocks completely already).

-Chell
You can pick Gordon Freeman instead, but I think that Portal has more unique potential for moveset since being able to make portals on the stage is something almost new to Smash. Think of the Super Mario Bros stage from Smash 64, but you can place "pipes" everywhere at your will, and you keep momentum while going through them (think about all the traps you can do with this).

-Tracer
You can pick any Overwatch character really. Overwatch is important enough to deserve a spot, several other developers took inspiration from that game, I think that even Arms has some Overwatch influence in it. If not, you can put someone from Diablo as a Blizzard rep, but I'm not sure it would have the same impact.

-Rayman
Like Crash, he was a gaming icon of the PSX days. Less of a rival to Mario compared to Crash, but still a big gaming icon who survived to modern gaming and occasionally still gets new games. The Rayman series is tied with Nintendo by the Rabbids spin-offs. You can put Ezio there in place of Rayman, it would still be a valid pick as he's also a gaming icon (more modern too).

-Lara Croft
Another PSX era icon, nothing else to add.

-------------

-Alley Cat
One of the most fun DOS games I've ever played. There's a floating broom in the game that can hit the cat and throw him away, and if it manages to throw it out of the window, you will be sent to the previous level; it feels like knocking back characters in Smash, this is why I think this character would fit very well in the game. If you want another DOS character from a fun game, there's also someone from "Battle Chess" you can pick, but Alley Cat is better IMO and doesn't overlap with an Age of Empires rep.

-Imperial Unit
I started calling this one Villager before AC Villager was announced for Smash 4... now I decided to call it Imperial Unit so it can't be confused. It's an Age of Empires unit who changes role depending on the attack... it can become a priest, a knight, a farmer, and more... it can also craft siege weapons and build towers (with archers inside), and maybe ride a horse? Or maybe even an elephant if you charge the move enough.
Anyway, I want an Age of Empires rep because we need a RTS rep, and Age of Empires is still today the most influential RTS game ever, there are countless mobile games who are called "Age of" or something-"Empires" etc. and other games still take inspiration from this series for gameplay too. Age of Empires is a big underrated franchise when it comes to Smash representation; currently the closest thing to a RTS rep is Olimar and I'm not even sure if Pikmin counts as RTS (probably yes but it's still a very weird one).

-Kurt
If you don't know what MDK is, I suggest you to search about the game, it's very fun. It's a shooter, in some ways similar to Metroid Prime but with more focus on third person prespective, more fast paced and with less backtracking (no backtracking at all in the first game). The game is a sort of parody of western comics, it's funny but takes itself seriously enough to still be immersive and interesting. Especially the first game has a lot of creative alien worlds you go through, and all of them are built inside some huge city-like big vehichles that are meant to destroy the earth and you have to stop them.

-Baba
Baba is You is one of the most innovative games I've ever played. It makes you think outside of the box, several layers of outside the box, and it will always surprise you. It's a puzzle game inspired by Sokoban, the gimmick is that there are some blocks with insturctions, and if you mess with them you change the rules of the game itself. Baba is You means you are in control of the main character, but if you place a "Wall" block instead of Baba, you become the walls of the entire stage, and you can move them. This is just an example... there's no limit to what crazy thing can happen in that game, really... you can even transform the level icons in the overworld into other stuff and mess with the whole world map. I'm not sure how this would translate into Smash moveset but it would be crazy.

-Max Damage
People say that Mortal Kombat is too violent, but what about Carmageddon? You drive through a mass of pedestrians and kill all of them with your car, and that's one of the goals of the game, along with destroying your rivals' cars and eventually end the race as first place, but who's going to do that when you can also win by destroying all your opponents? Max Damage would be a more evil version of Captain Falcon (conceptually, not moveset-wise), and he would include some of the game's gimmicks into his moveset, like the "opponent repulsificator", the chain ball, and other stuff. I see him fighting by using a piece of car wreck as a weapon too.

-Worm
Because Worms is Smash but turn based, and before Smash even existed. I think a Worms character would be very easy to adapt to Smash, and it would be very fun to play as. Also a fully destroyable stage would be interesting, but I'm not sure how it would work.

-Re-Volt car
It's a crazy concept, I'm not entirely sure it would work, but with some creativity I think it could. Re-Volt RC cars are sentient and can jump and use mario-kart-like items. There are some issues like, how do they grab and use items? I'm not sure but I think workarounds are possible.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Rayman (Rayman)
Spyro (Spyro the Dragon)
Taliyah (League of Legends)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Tracer (Overwatch)
Sub Zero (Mortal Kombat)

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Steve
Crash
Lara Croft
Ezio
Master Chief
Gordon Freeman

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Why not both? And when I say that I mean in terms of both Smash and how Square markets her.

Right now anything that is labeled “Tomb Raider” has been using her newer design:
Which has been getting consistently better over the years. Like, vastly.

But I digress. Anything that uses “Lara Croft”, which includes; Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, Lara Croft: Relic Run, and Lara Croft Go, as the title uses this design:
Which is, in my opinion, a pitch perfect update to her classic look.

So, yeah. I think Lara would fit perfectly as both.
Well that answeres my question! I thought the classic and modern looks were incredibly different in age and proportions so I wasn't sure that both could be used as costumes.

EDIT: It'd be cool seeing both in the same quality and artstyle.

Lowkey i'm surprised no has Accused Crash of being a Incineroar Clone. Both Spin and have an Wild Personality and also belly flop. I thought more people would be doing this
Zangief's the lower hanging fruit.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Lara Croft is not a Western character anymore, as she is now owned by Square Enix, which is a Japanese company.

osby

Smash Obsessed
But still, the rights to her series belong to a Japanese company. By your standards, Donkey Kong and Metroid would also be considered Western franchises.
Correct me if I'm wrong but afaik DKC and Metroid are created by Western studios owned by a Japanese company. Lara Croft was created by Core Design, which was fully British.

I don't it's quite the same thing.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
By your standards, Donkey Kong and Metroid would also be considered Western franchises.
No, because they were created by Japanese people and still have a good chunk of their games worked on by them.

SKX31

Smash Master
But still, the rights to her series belong to a Japanese company. By your standards, Donkey Kong and Metroid would also be considered Western franchises.
Not to be mean, but by that standard you should consider :ult_terry: a Chinese character because SNK's owners are three Chinese companies in a joint venture.

That definition is too strict because it omits how a character's legacy (like who developed them) shapes how people view them. Not to mention how relationships between owning companies and devs can vary by massive margins: Nintendo's not treating Retro like say EA treats the companies they buy out.

Out of those I'm choosing these to have some stylistic balance as well as variety between genres:

Crash (Activision) - 90s and PS1 icon, as well as platformer pick.
Master Chief - Primary FPS pick.
Ahri (LoL) - Playstyle reasoning mostly, and genre variety.
Vault Boy - (Semi) WTF pick. And someone who could have a creative moveset.
Scorpion - FGC representative and for the "SF vs. MK" battle.
Lara Croft - Another 90s icon, also some genre variety due to being from an FPS /adventure hybrid.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Correct me if I'm wrong but afaik DKC and Metroid are created by Western studios owned by a Japanese company. Lara Croft was created by Core Design, which was fully British.

I don't it's quite the same thing.
Core Design went bankrupt and their parent company Eidos was bought out by Square Enix, which is Japanese. Therefore, I consider Lara Croft to be a Japanese character, as she belongs to Square Enix.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Core Design went bankrupt and their parent company Eidos was bought out by Square Enix, which is Japanese. Therefore, I consider Lara Croft to be a Japanese character, as she belongs to Square Enix.
I consider the nationality of a character to be whoever created them. And I'm right.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I consider the nationality of a character to be whoever created them. And I'm right.
They would go to a Japanese company, Square Enix, if they want to negotiate the rights to Lara. SE also prevented Sony from using the character in PSASBR.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Playstation all stars got a very small budget, so it's possible that SE didn't want Lara in that game because not enough money. Square have 2 characters in the game (3 franchises in total with thr Trials of mana spirits). I don't see why they wouldn't want Tomb raider in Smash. Also the "Square is stingy" meme is false, it's just that FF is hard to work with in the first place and DQ composer is a d*ck. I don't think Tomb raider would have the same problem.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Square Enix is a notoriously stingy company. This is shown by how barebones their series are represented in Ultimate.
I think SE’s problem is moreso the rights to their games’ music and art and stuffs are owned by their creators, which is why FF barely gets anything due to the royalties the composer charges, I guess, and I think we’re all aware of the problem with DQ’s composer. DQ isn’t barebones aside from the midi music, though.

SE themselves don’t seem all that stingy. They let Nintendo and Sakurai use SMRPG characters they own, and Lara Croft got into Brawlhalla, Ubisoft’s platform-fighter.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Square Enix is a notoriously stingy company. This is shown by how barebones their series are represented in Ultimate.
At least they’re licensing content for Smash. I guess they avoid PSABR because it’s an unproven project and they really have nothing to gain from it. I’m sure Sakurai would be able to get Tomb Raider content just fine. Probably more stuff than FF, for sure.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
That is true. They only allowed Lara Croft be in Brawlhalla and Sakurai to add four variations of the Dragon Quest heroes. Good old stingy Square.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Playstation all stars got a very small budget, so it's possible that SE didn't want Lara in that game because not enough money. Square have 2 characters in the game (3 franchises in total with thr Trials of mana spirits). I don't see why they wouldn't want Tomb raider in Smash. Also the "Square is stingy" meme is false, it's just that FF is hard to work with in the first place and DQ composer is a d*ck. I don't think Tomb raider would have the same problem.
They could want other characters in Smash instead, such as 2B or Sora (although he is in licensing hell because Sakurai would have to negotiate with DISNEY).

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You know what's weird? Eventually someone is gonna come up and say the exact opposite and say that everything is "situational" and that Square wasn't stingy. It's always been like this, back-and-forth, at least every time I try to make the stingy Square haha 2 final fantasy song joke I'm getting blasted up the ass with comments like that.

Wonder what's making people think the other way around. :drshrug:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The Portal talk yesterday got me thinking of how a character from that game would be implemented, and I think I've got an idea. My character pick is Chell. She may not be the most notable of Portal's cast, but I think she'd at least be recognizable, and she's also the one with the Portal Gun. Here's what I think her specials would be:
  • Neutral Special: Portal Gun
    • Chell raises her Portal Gun. Holding the button allows you to aim 360°. When the button is released, Chell will fire a portal in that direction. Unlike in Portal, the portal can open in mid air, but if the projectile hits a surface (including the underside of a semi-solid platform) then it will automatically create a portal along that surface if possible (if not, a portal will form after traveling a set distance). Portals cannot clip through terrain nor can they be placed on top of, or too close to each other. Any player, projectile, or item that goes into a portal, will come out the other (or only exposed) side of the other portal with a slightly higher velocity. Since the player can't control which type of portal they're creating, the portal's color is determined by which one is older, and would be replaced by a new portal. The cool colored portal is always the newest and the warm colored one is always the oldest.
  • Side Special: Deploy Turret
    • Chell presses a button that causes a Sentry Turret to appear from an device on the ground. If any damagable object (any player, or items like bombs and the Sandbag) stands in front of it, it will open fire. The bullets deal damage, but very low knockback, and it is easy to fall out of the turret's fire. When all characters move out of sight, the Sentry Turret will look for damagable objects, increasing it's line of sight for a second or two. The turret is considered to be a large item, and can be picked up. If you do so, the turret will open fire. If you throw the turret it start flailing around, firing everywhere until it deactivates, and disappears after about a second of being on the ground. The same effect can be achieved with a light attack (though this is much more dangerous to you), and the turret can be destroyed outright by a moderately powerful attack.
  • Up Special: Aerial Faith Plate
    • A panel containing an Aerial Faith Plate appears under Chell, and launches her upward in the direction she was facing. There is no hitbox on this attack.
  • Down Special: Deploy Cube
    • Chell presses a button that causes a Weighted Storage Cube to appear from a device on the ground. The move can also summon a Contraption Cube, Discouragement Redirection Cube, or Weighted Companion Cube to varying degrees of rarity. All of these cubes function the same way, however. They are very similar to crates, but they are indestructible to attacks. Instead they have physics based movement when thrown, or attacked, and will harm any players it crashes into.
The idea is that you are creating a bunch of hazards that both you and your opponent have to deal with, and you must outsmart your opponent using these items, and the Portal Gun. Chell does have the advantage though, as the items are spawned right next to her, and she has the unique ability to pick up heavy items without impeding movement since the Portal Gun does it for her.

EDIT: Oh, and it's probably fair that only one of each item can be spawned at a time since more than one turret would be OP, and 8 turrets and cubes is chaos enough. Allowing more could cause problems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom