• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I think the only character I will vehemently never want in the game is FNAF. And people wanting him is such a foreign concept to me, like really? You got all this to choose from and you said "I'll take Chuck E. Cheese's brother" or "The guy who pays Game Theory's rent". This isn't a rip on people who want him or anything, want what you want, but it's so weird.
I mean, I have some pretty weird wants myself. Billy Hatcher, Goku from Yuyuki, even that one guy from the airplane arcade game (don't remember the name, I think the character was "Mr. Me" or something).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Had some free time, so I made a collage of the first-parties I'd like the most. Obviously there are some I want more than others, but I'd be happy with any of these guys.

PicsArt_05-05-02.28.49.png

I could probably make an entire image with Pokemon alone, but I decided to just go with the two I'm currently supporting the most.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Had some free time, so I made a collage of the first-parties I'd like the most. Obviously there are some I want more than others, but I'd be happy with any of these guys.

Pictured: The gang seconds before Pyra and Crystal get smacked by the ARMS characters, causing all heck to break loose.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Huh, I thought it was Chun-Li...

Still though, she's definitely a huge contender for the third SquareEnix spot. She probably has the edge too since she's not owned by Disney (which...probably means I shouldn't be counting Sora but whatever) and doesn't have Smash fan demand as his only reason for inclusion.

EDIT: Imagine if Kingdom Hearts had more Final Fantasy songs than Final Fantasy...
Nah dude, Lara Croft has like 8 Guinness World Records or something and then she has like 3 movies that were more successful than any VG property before Pokemon: Detective Pikachu and Sonic the Hedgehog. So. Yeah. She’s big. She’s be a real get if Sakurai can.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ooh, I got a question for Granblue people. Remember months back when random textleakers whose names I don't care to remember starting speculating about Katalina? I got a legit question. Why Katalina as the choice? Is she the mascot or something?

We got ****ing Fire Emblem-tier silent main protags over here dude.

1588718387574.png 1588718400180.png

Like if they're boring I understand, Edelgard stans must've felt the same way about Byleth pre-reveal. :nifty:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ooh, I got a question for Granblue people. Remember months back when random textleakers whose names I don't care to remember starting speculating about Katalina? I got a legit question. Why Katalina as the choice? Is she the mascot or something?

Like if they're boring I understand, Edelgard stans must've felt the same way about Byleth pre-reveal. :nifty:
Are they silent in Granblue Fantasy? They're pretty talkative in the side games.

My best guess (without actually knowing how the game works) is that Katalina is your free guaranteed "summon" from the beginning of the game, or is at the very least, a major character in the game's plot. I believe she appeared right alongside Gran when they unveiled Granblue Fantasy Versus, and was the character that was being played when that Granblue Fantasy adventure/hack 'n slash/RPG game was being shown off (I don't remember who else was in the party though. EDIT: Wouldn't be surprised if it was Gran/Djeeta and/or Percival).

Last edited:

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
Be careful not to overestimate Rex just because of ARMS. There are a number of ways to interpret the latter getting in Smash aside from "it missed its chance the first time". It could be that Nintendo values the IP and wants to keep it alive, or maybe there are plans in the near future for a sequel. It could even be simpler than that and involve the developers requesting that it be included in the DLC.

Let's wait and look at the next one or two characters before picking out a pattern. A single character isn't enough to predict an entire pass.
Bro I LITERALLY said in my post "this doens't mean the whole pass is going to be the redemption arc". I do not expect the pass to be characters who missed their shot, I just think it's okay to expect at least one more, probably only one more honestly, and I'm putting my money on Rex

also GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 osby osby

...yes, I know Ring Fit Trainer / Adventurer / whatever the **** would be uniuqe, I'm not saying they wouldn't be. The issue is the nature OF Wii Fit Trainer. The idea of a fitness character in Smash is ridiculous, and Sakurai knows that. NOBODY expected Wii Fit Trainer until she was revealed (except for that one guy who leaked them). The entire point was it threw people off guard. A fitness character being both unique and surprising is what he wanted. Now that Wii Fit is added, suddenly, Ring Fit Trainer being a thing makes people go "hey, Wii Fit is in the game, so I could see Sakurai pulling some wacky Ring Fit ****!" and that alone is gonna make Sakurai not want to add them. It's just like, you can't expect a normal ass Goomba to be added now that Piranha Plant is in the game, it makes Piranha Plant less special and it isn't as "what the ****". Again, before you start dogging my **** YES SHE'D / HE'D BE UNIQUE. It doesn't mean she'll be in the game my g

View attachment 271023View attachment 271024

I think the only character I will vehemently never want in the game is FNAF. And people wanting him is such a foreign concept to me, like really? You got all this to choose from and you said "I'll take Chuck E. Cheese's brother" or "The guy who pays Game Theory's rent". This isn't a rip on people who want him or anything, want what you want, but it's so weird.
Nah the best idea for a FNAF character is like some Game & Watch ****. Like, the sprite minigame things that are in between the main gameplay? It could be the Purple Guy summoning and turning into other sprites just like how Game & Watch does. Like, Fsmash would be Fredbear's bite and **** like that. That would be tough

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
...yes, I know Ring Fit Trainer / Adventurer / whatever the **** would be uniuqe, I'm not saying they wouldn't be. The issue is the nature OF Wii Fit Trainer. The idea of a fitness character in Smash is ridiculous, and Sakurai knows that. NOBODY expected Wii Fit Trainer until she was revealed (except for that one guy who leaked them). The entire point was it threw people off guard. A fitness character being both unique and surprising is what he wanted. Now that Wii Fit is added, suddenly, Ring Fit Trainer being a thing makes people go "hey, Wii Fit is in the game, so I could see Sakurai pulling some wacky Ring Fit ****!" and that alone is gonna make Sakurai not want to add them. It's just like, you can't expect a normal ass Goomba to be added now that Piranha Plant is in the game, it makes Piranha Plant less special and it isn't as "what the ****". Again, before you start dogging my **** YES SHE'D / HE'D BE UNIQUE. It doesn't mean she'll be in the game my g
To be fair, Sakurai isn't calling the shots anymore. Nintendo is supposedly choosing the DLC, and it's not that hard to imagine why they'd want to promote what could potentially be the successor to Wii Fit. Obviously they can't continue the latter without rebranding it, so RFA is currently their best bet at attracting the middle-aged demographic.

The only reason whu Sakurai would object the idea is if he couldn't think of a moveset, and he's already come out and say that's never been an issue with any of the proposed characters.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What do you think tonight will show? Spirit event or tourney?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Alright, any bets? I'm thinking this'll be the one that kills *insert highly speculated character here*. Though keep in mind, I've been saying that for awhile now...
Where’s my Undertale spirits already

they did Cuphead after all, and could do the content alteration thing if you own Sans’s costume

inb4 ninjala spirits

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, Sakurai isn't calling the shots anymore. Nintendo is supposedly choosing the DLC, and it's not that hard to imagine why they'd want to promote what could potentially be the successor to Wii Fit. Obviously they can't continue the latter without rebranding it, so RFA is currently their best bet at attracting the middle-aged demographic.

The only reason whu Sakurai would object the idea is if he couldn't think of a moveset, and he's already come out and say that's never been an issue with any of the proposed characters.
im pretty sure Sakurai can come up with a moveset for anything considering some of the characters that are in smash. It’s gonna boil down to whether or not he wants to. Yeah, he could make ring fit adventurer unique, that doesn’t mean he wants to add her. I doubt these characters are just Nintendo tells Sakurai, Sakurai like “yeah I can do it” and just does it. He definitely has some say. I really doubt Nintendo alone picked Joker and Terry. Sakurai has more input than just “moveset works lol”

also I like how you ignored the rest of my post

Last edited:

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
I did the tier list.
my-image.png
At first I had a tier for Mii costumes but I decided against it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Characters don't just get chosen for ****s and giggles, or because they could be surprising. Ring Fit Adventure is a well received game that sold like hotcakes, will probably get a sequel at some point, and got some people to want a character from it to join Smash. It definitely has reasons for it to get in.

By the way, nobody said that a character is likely - people just responded to your claim that Ring Fit Adventurer wouldn't get in because of Wii Fit Trainer. A character from RFA is by no means a guarantee, but if one doesn't get in, WFT will have nothing to do with it.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Huh, I thought it was Chun-Li...

Still though, she's definitely a huge contender for the third SquareEnix spot. She probably has the edge too since she's not owned by Disney (which...probably means I shouldn't be counting Sora but whatever) and doesn't have Smash fan demand as his only reason for inclusion.

EDIT: Imagine if Kingdom Hearts had more Final Fantasy songs than Final Fantasy...
Nah, Lara's the lead of her own series and has like 3 films to her name too. Though I'd say Samus, Chun-Li, Peach and Zelda aren't far behind. Kind of like how Sonic, Kirby, Cloud and Mega Man are all pretty recognizable, but not quite to Mario's level.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

This week's Spirit event is Spirits with big eyebrows.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Mishima's have big eyebrows. It's clearly a hint since the Spirits aren't new.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

What is it with Japan and big eyebrows? I swear, this is an onsession of theirs...

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
Characters don't just get chosen for ****s and giggles, or because they could be surprising. Ring Fit Adventure is a well received game that sold like hotcakes, will probably get a sequel at some point, and got some people to want a character from it to join Smash. It definitely has reasons for it to get in.

By the way, nobody said that a character is likely - people just responded to your claim that Ring Fit Adventurer wouldn't get in because of Wii Fit Trainer. A character from RFA is by no means a guarantee, but if one doesn't get in, WFT will have nothing to do with it.
I know that characters don’t get added just for the surprise factor, I even said that in my post. I’ll use the example of Piranha Plant again. Before he was added, if you would’ve said Piranha Plant is likely to get into smash, everyone would’ve called you crazy. Now that the Plant is in, if you’re gonna say a Goomba or a Koopa Troopa can get into Smash, it’s actually not as insane, because of Piranha Plant. Sakurai knows that. He outright said it himself, a situation like Plant is a lot less likely, probably not likely at all, now that he got into the game.

The same applies to Wii Fit Trainer. Before she was added, you say the mother****ing Wii fit trainer is gonna get into smash bro’s, you’re gonna get called crazy. Wii Fit gets added, not because Sakurai wanted a good laugh, but no doubt, he knew it would catch EVERYONE off guard. Wii fit is in the game now, so you suggest Ring Fit Adventurer has a chance, all of a sudden it’s not as crazy any more. And that alone is what’s gonna prevent her from getting in.

I know you’re not saying she’s likely, but your were trying to argue that she’d a unique fighter which is something that I already understand. I’m not saying she wouldn’t be unique as a fighter, she just wouldn’t be a unique circumstance anymore. And yes I know characters don’t get added for unique circumstances, but it’s part of what makes it special. Sakurai could add another 4 Heroes into Smash. Would they be unique? Yes. Are they completely different characters that could have different names? Yes. Would it make the addition of the previous 4 Heroes less memorable? Yes. That’s the issue. Not her lack of unique abilities. My fatass didn’t play ring fit but I know she has unique abilities. Its about more than their moveset.

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace

They had voices in Granblue Fantasy VS and the Granblue Fantasy anime, so they can get voice clips in smash ultimate too.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I know that characters don’t get added just for the surprise factor, I even said that in my post. I’ll use the example of Piranha Plant again. Before he was added, if you would’ve said Piranha Plant is likely to get into smash, everyone would’ve called you crazy. Now that the Plant is in, if you’re gonna say a Goomba or a Koopa Troopa can get into Smash, it’s actually not as insane, because of Piranha Plant. Sakurai knows that. He outright said it himself, a situation like Plant is a lot less likely, probably not likely at all, now that he got into the game.

The same applies to Wii Fit Trainer. Before she was added, you say the mother****ing Wii fit trainer is gonna get into smash bro’s, you’re gonna get called crazy. Wii Fit gets added, not because Sakurai wanted a good laugh, but no doubt, he knew it would catch EVERYONE off guard. Wii fit is in the game now, so you suggest Ring Fit Adventurer has a chance, all of a sudden it’s not as crazy any more. And that alone is what’s gonna prevent her from getting in.

I know you’re not saying she’s likely, but your were trying to argue that she’d a unique fighter which is something that I already understand. I’m not saying she wouldn’t be unique as a fighter, she just wouldn’t be a unique circumstance anymore. And yes I know characters don’t get added for unique circumstances, but it’s part of what makes it special. Sakurai could add another 4 Heroes into Smash. Would they be unique? Yes. Are they completely different characters that could have different names? Yes. Would it make the addition of the previous 4 Heroes less memorable? Yes. That’s the issue. Not her lack of unique abilities. My fatass didn’t play ring fit but I know she has unique abilities. Its about more than their moveset.
I feel this is a bad reason to say a similar character can’t get in or is less likely. Piranha Plant isn’t comparable, too. And I doubt Sakurai would tell Nintendo “no” for a silly reason like this.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
They had voices in Granblue Fantasy VS and the Granblue Fantasy anime, so they can get voice clips in smash ultimate too.
Can you guys not avoid my question and go off trying to murder me over voice clips? You know what I mean by "silent protagonist", of course they have voice clips, there's no mute avatar protagonist in Fire Emblem either.

My question was "Why not these over Katalina?", not "Do they not speak?", because it's been done three times in a row with a similar concept :ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultbyleth:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
GAME TIME! GOING OUT WEST!!!

If you got a full pass of these Western characters, who would you pick?
MAKE YOUR OWN PASS (and describe why you chose such)
There are ten companies below, 15 characters.
I gave everyone two freebies if they take Mii+ characters.

- Crash (Crash Bandicoot; ACTIVISION)
- Spyro (Spyro the Dragon/ Skylanders; ACTIVISION)
- Vault Boy (Mii+ character?; Fallout; BETHESDA)
- Doomguy (Doom; BETHESDA)
- Master Chief (Halo, MICROSOFT)
- Steve (Mii+ character?) (Minecraft; MICROSOFT)
- Heavy (Team Fortress 2; VALVE)
- (someone) (League of Legends, RIOT> Now TENCENT)
- Tracer (Overwatch; BLIZZARD)
- Warcraft Character (World of Warcraft; BLIZZARD)
- Rayman (Rayman; UBISOFT)
- Ezio (Assassin's Creed; UBISOFT)
- Scorpion (Mortal Kombat; WB)
- Lara Croft (Tomb Raider; EIDOS INTERACTIVE> SQUARE ENIX)
- Angry Birds (Angry Birds; ROVIO ENTERTAINMENT)

If I missed a prominent character, please let me know, and I will both edit the original post and repost with the new information.
Master Chief (Halo, Microsoft) - One of the biggest video game icons of all time, is the face of Microsoft, is the main protagonist of a franchise that shaped two whole generations of gaming with games like Halo: CE, Halo 2 and Halo 3 being often called some of the best games of all time. Very little reason to not have Chief in Smash, he is just that big.

Lara Croft (Tomb Raider; Eidos Interactive/Square Enix) - Alongside Samus, the defacto female video game icon and one of the bigger video game icons of the 1990's. Plus, I am a fan of the modern Tomb Raider games and I'd like to see her included.

Scorpion (Mortal Kombat, WB) - The face of one of the most recognizable and infamous fighting game franchises of all time.

Doomguy (DOOM, Bethesda) - The bedrock of the FPS genre and has had plenty of success with Nintendo on the Switch with essentially having every game on the system. Plus Doomguy is one of gaming's biggest badasses and the stuff they could do with him in Eternal can make him different in way we may not expect if he were to be included.

Crash (Crash Bandicoot, Activision) - One of the biggest video game icons of the 90's, was the Playstation mascot at that time and is home to one of the more nostalgia filled franchises that a lot of people have fond memories of.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Honestly, I don't know much about Granblue, but I think I know why the discussion revolved around her rather than anyone else in the game.

The 'leaker' said it was her.

And since they got at least one thing right before, people latched on to it. Once we latch onto a name, we then like to stop all other discussion as "well, the leaker said X, so that's what we're focused on." Basically, she was the choice because the echo chamber amplified her.

Honestly I can't remember anyone suggesting her or anyone else from Granblue until that name came up, and then nobody would entertain anything else for a while.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Wii fit is in the game now, so you suggest Ring Fit Adventurer has a chance, all of a sudden it’s not as crazy any more. And that alone is what’s gonna prevent her from getting in.
You're saying that RFA won't be added because it wouldn't be crazy anymore. I told you, characters don't get added because they'd be crazy. There's tons of reasons to add a character beyond "because it would be crazy", and I already stated several.

Your argument makes no sense. It's like saying Ken wasn't likely because we already had Daisy as an Echo and Richter as a third-party Echo. Ken was never going to be added for shock's sake, he had other reasons to be added. The same applies to RFA (and to literally any character, that's how illogical what you just said is).

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Do you guys think any mobile game character has a chance? If so who, and why?
Oh, is it that time again? Well, I think people are sleeping on Euden from Dragalia Lost. It's Nintendo's first original IP on mobile, and one of their more successful efforts (though please forgive me for not having a source on hand). Having it in Smash would help solidify Nintendo's dedication to entering the market. Plus, since it's a first party IP, it's a bit more likely than, say, Raid: Shadow Legends. Sorry, anyone who unironically wants that (all two of you ;)).

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
I feel this is a bad reason to say a similar character can’t get in or is less likely. Piranha Plant isn’t comparable, too. And I doubt Sakurai would tell Nintendo “no” for a silly reason like this.
Similar characters get in all the time. i mean we got 2 more Sword users and another shoto fighting game character in this wave of DLC. Ring Fit Adventurer would bring whatever ring **** is in her game to the table, no doubt about it. Adding another fitness themed character just isn’t as much of a big deal when we already have a successful fitness themed character already. Once again, it’s the circumstances. You can sit here and argue with me all you want about how that doesn’t immediately count out ring fit, and it doesn’t, she CAN get in, anyone that isnt fourth party can get in, just certain characters are more likely than others.

And why isn’t Piranha Plant comparable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom