• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I know that characters don’t get added just for the surprise factor, I even said that in my post. I’ll use the example of Piranha Plant again. Before he was added, if you would’ve said Piranha Plant is likely to get into smash, everyone would’ve called you crazy. Now that the Plant is in, if you’re gonna say a Goomba or a Koopa Troopa can get into Smash, it’s actually not as insane, because of Piranha Plant. Sakurai knows that. He outright said it himself, a situation like Plant is a lot less likely, probably not likely at all, now that he got into the game.

The same applies to Wii Fit Trainer. Before she was added, you say the mother****ing Wii fit trainer is gonna get into smash bro’s, you’re gonna get called crazy. Wii Fit gets added, not because Sakurai wanted a good laugh, but no doubt, he knew it would catch EVERYONE off guard. Wii fit is in the game now, so you suggest Ring Fit Adventurer has a chance, all of a sudden it’s not as crazy any more. And that alone is what’s gonna prevent her from getting in.

I know you’re not saying she’s likely, but your were trying to argue that she’d a unique fighter which is something that I already understand. I’m not saying she wouldn’t be unique as a fighter, she just wouldn’t be a unique circumstance anymore. And yes I know characters don’t get added for unique circumstances, but it’s part of what makes it special. Sakurai could add another 4 Heroes into Smash. Would they be unique? Yes. Are they completely different characters that could have different names? Yes. Would it make the addition of the previous 4 Heroes less memorable? Yes. That’s the issue. Not her lack of unique abilities. My fatass didn’t play ring fit but I know she has unique abilities. Its about more than their moveset.
This argument doesn't make any sense. If Sakurai didn't want to repeat motifs in their fighters our roster would be significantly smaller. We wouldn't have Banjo & Kazooie, Diddy Kong, Dr. Mario, Incineroar, Luigi, Mii Brawler, or Wario since Mario's already our resident cartoony brawler. We wouldn't have the other Links, or Hero, Mii Swordfighter, or any of the Fire Emblem cast because we already have Link as our medieval swordsman. We wouldn't have Rosalina & Luma because we already have a magic princess, and so on.

Having a fighter with the same general idea as another on the roster isn't a problem so long as it brings something new from the idea. Robin and Hero are all about managing spells, but Hero's spells are more volatile and take center stage within the moveset, while Robin's spells are more like tools that you have to find the right time to use in order to win. Villager and Isabelle are both passive fighters, but Villager is more of a zoner, and Isabelle is more of a trap character.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Similar characters get in all the time. i mean we got 2 more Sword users and another shoto fighting game character in this wave of DLC. Ring Fit Adventurer would bring whatever ring **** is in her game to the table, no doubt about it. Adding another fitness themed character just isn’t as much of a big deal when we already have a successful fitness themed character already. Once again, it’s the circumstances. You can sit here and argue with me all you want about how that doesn’t immediately count out ring fit, and it doesn’t, she CAN get in, anyone that isnt fourth party can get in, just certain characters are more likely than others.

And why isn’t Piranha Plant comparable?
I still don’t see why it matters that we already have a character from the fitness genre. RFA is like an RPG, too, but still, why does the genre matter? It doesn’t matter for anything else. I don’t think Sakurai is adding any character for “lol surprise!” except maybe Plant, but even then he said he wanted someone other than a hero or main villain.

Piranha Plant isn’t comparable because it’s a generic enemy.

Last edited:

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
You're saying that RFA won't be added because it wouldn't be crazy anymore. I told you, characters don't get added because they'd be crazy. There's tons of reasons to add a character beyond "because it would be crazy", and I already stated several.

Your argument makes no sense. It's like saying Ken wasn't likely because we already had Daisy as an Echo and Richter as a third-party Echo. Ken was never going to be added for shock's sake, he had other reasons to be added. The same applies to RFA (and to literally any character, that's how illogical what you just said is).
Bro are you even reading what I’m saying

you: You're saying that RFA won't be added because it wouldn't be crazy anymore.

me, in the exact same ****ing post: I know that characters don’t get added just for the surprise factor, I even said that in my post.

I’m gonna say this one more time, and make sure you read it this time okay buddy ;)

Wii Fit Trainer was a character added into Super Smash Brothers for Wii U and 3DS. She was the 3rd newcomer revealed, and caught everyone off guard, because a Wii fit trainer being added is ****ing crazy right? Sakurai knows that adding this character is crazy, and that’s part of what makes it GOOD. It’s not WHY she was added. It’s not why she was added. It’s not why she was added. I said it 3 times so you could understand. The surprise factor is an important factor, Sakurai definitely likes to catch people off guard, but more importantly, he likes a fun character, and Wii fit is certainly a fun character. I love spiking with her it’s hilarious.

now lets take the ring fit trainer. A character that has a lot of potential to be unique. Hell yeah, she could definitely get in. But let’s say she gets in, it’s not the “HOLY ****, RING FIT TRAINER?!!!” It’s “oh yeah, this makes sense, we already got Wii fit so I could see ring fit happening.” and that fact clearly bothers Sakurai. Hence why he said a situation like plant wouldn’t happen. He KNOWS it wouldn’t be as much of a fun moment / reveal, but that’s not important, what’s important is that we already have a character that covers that, so he wouldn’t do it again. That statement applies to any “what the ****” esque character. We’re not gonna get a DK Jr. that is a 2D fighter that incorporates sprites from his original game into Smash because Game & Watch does that already, it becomes LESS SPECIAL. That fact immediately doesn’t discount characters, it just makes them less likely, because Sakurai likes to throw people off. For the fourth time, IT IS NOT THE ONLY REASON. It’s just part of it. Make sure your reread that for me.

also that Ken point makes no sense considering there’s nothing tying Ken and Richter together other than a third party echo, and that’s just you watering down my argument trying to twist my words, when you know damn well that’s not what I’m saying at all. Please, read my post carefully and then reply to me.

you can read this too TheCJBrine TheCJBrine because for some reason you read my posts and you think “this guy is saying characters only get added for surprise value! That’s not true at all!”hey man, I agree with you man, why you arguing with my cuz

also I’m gonna add this to my post so we can end this dumbass ring fit argument

right here, in this interview, Sakurai explains Pirahna Plant. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gameinformer.com/interview/2018/11/21/masahiro-sakurai-talks-piranha-plant-spirits-and-20-years-of-super-smash-bros?amp
In it, he says, “ I’m actually not paying too much focus on the surprise element when we introduce a new fighter. The surprise element quickly fades once the announcement has been made.
Rather, I believe it’s important to have a good balance as a game. In the past titles in the series, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog were some of the examples we offered outside of people’s typical expectations.”
he DOES NOT care about the surprise factor, which is what I said, he wants to catch people off guard by balancing out the typical human hero type characters and the monsterous villain type characters with wacky **** like Duck Hunt and ROB. He always adds characters that are weird for the balance, and Wii fit (pun unintended) is one of those balancing characters. She’s weird, she’s quirky, she seems like she doesn’t fit but she does. Wii Fit already adds to the necessary balance Sakurai likes, so I don’t think he’ll add Ring Fit.
But since you guys are hella adamant about your onion ring orange ass RPG / fitness game, I’ll make you a deal. Not only will I BUY Ring fit if she gets added to this smash game, I’ll record a video of me doing some of the exercises and ****ing post that **** here

Idk why it formatted like this and idk how to fix it so rip I’m probably gonna get a “bad formatting” warning now

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
But let’s say she gets in, it’s not the “HOLY ****, RING FIT TRAINER?!!!” It’s “oh yeah, this makes sense, we already got Wii fit so I could see ring fit happening.” and that fact clearly bothers Sakurai.
No it ****ing doesn't, that's the whole point.

You yourself are already saying that Sakurai doesn't care about shock value, so the fact that RFA doesn't have it doesn't diminish their chances in the slightest.

If you can't understand that the quote you provided contradicts what you're claiming, then we're done here.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Sakurai had no issues adding Terry despite the fact that we already had Ryu and Ken in Smash. He had no problem adding other sword fighters like Hero and Byleth despite the fact that we already had a good bunch of them (and the Smash fanbases' temper tantrums over them...)

So yeah, I don't think Sakurai or Nintendo would care that RFA may share some similarities with WFT.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Bro are you even reading what I’m saying

you: You're saying that RFA won't be added because it wouldn't be crazy anymore.

me, in the exact same ****ing post: I know that characters don’t get added just for the surprise factor, I even said that in my post.

I’m gonna say this one more time, and make sure you read it this time okay buddy ;)

Wii Fit Trainer was a character added into Super Smash Brothers for Wii U and 3DS. She was the 3rd newcomer revealed, and caught everyone off guard, because a Wii fit trainer being added is ****ing crazy right? Sakurai knows that adding this character is crazy, and that’s part of what makes it GOOD. It’s not WHY she was added. It’s not why she was added. It’s not why she was added. I said it 3 times so you could understand. The surprise factor is an important factor, Sakurai definitely likes to catch people off guard, but more importantly, he likes a fun character, and Wii fit is certainly a fun character. I love spiking with her it’s hilarious.

now lets take the ring fit trainer. A character that has a lot of potential to be unique. Hell yeah, she could definitely get in. But let’s say she gets in, it’s not the “HOLY ****, RING FIT TRAINER?!!!” It’s “oh yeah, this makes sense, we already got Wii fit so I could see ring fit happening.” and that fact clearly bothers Sakurai. Hence why he said a situation like plant wouldn’t happen. He KNOWS it wouldn’t be as much of a fun moment / reveal, so he wouldn’t do it again. That statement applies to any “what the ****” esque character. We’re not gonna get a DK Jr. that is a 2D fighter that incorporates sprites from his original game into Smash because Game & Watch does that already, it becomes LESS SPECIAL. That fact immediately doesn’t discount characters, it just makes them less likely, because Sakurai likes to throw people off. For the fourth time, IT IS NOT THE ONLY REASON. It’s just part of it. Make sure your reread that for me.

also that Ken point makes no sense considering there’s nothing tying Ken and Richter together other than a third party echo, and that’s just you watering down my argument trying to twist my words, when you know damn well that’s not what I’m saying at all. Please, read my post carefully and then reply to me.

you can read this too TheCJBrine TheCJBrine because for some reason you read my posts and you think “this guy is saying characters only get added for surprise value! That’s not true at all!”hey man, I agree with you man, why you arguing with my cuz
Here's what I'm hearing.
Premise: Part of why Wii Fit Trainer, Piranha Plant, Mr. Game & Watch, and the like's inclusion was good was because it was a novel idea.
Conclusion: Characters like them will be excluded because they would not carry the same weight, and will take away what is special about these types of characters.

I don't agree with this conclusion because it claims that novelties are the only reason why these characters are appealing. The fact that Mr. Game & Watch is a 2-dimensional fighter would be less novel if we were to add a Rhythm Heaven character, but that wouldn't detract from his quirky personality, minimalist animation, or his most infamous move: Judge. Meanwhile, the Rhythm Heaven character would be doing its own thing with...well rhythm, and bringing its own brand of charm through the character(s) from its series and their abilities.

Likewise, a Goomba would make the generic enemy character less novel, but it wouldn't reduce the hilarity of being chased down by a potted plant, and would add to the idea (of using a generic enemy) by having to get around having no arms and feet that are too stubby to kick with and expect to have any range whatsoever.

Unrelated, but it would be hilarious to go from
ARMS!________________________to__________________________No arms.
1588732665392.png
1588732751011.png

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Idk why it formatted like this and idk how to fix it so rip I’m probably gonna get a “bad formatting” warning now
You won't for that, but you could still stand to chill out with the condescending tone. Not just in this specific argument, but a number of your posts come off as such.

It's not that serious if people disagree with your views. None of us are actually Sakurai/have the one true opinion on the impact of fictional characters.

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
No it ****ing doesn't, that's the whole point.

You yourself are already saying that Sakurai doesn't care about shock value, so the fact that RFA doesn't have it doesn't diminish their chances in the slightest.

If you can't understand that the quote you provided contradicts what you're claiming, then we're done here.
I’m gonna quote myself every time I say the shock value doesn’t matter

The surprise factor is an important factor, Sakurai definitely likes to catch people off guard, but more importantly, he likes a fun character, and Wii fit is certainly a fun character.

It’s not WHY she was added. It’s not why she was added. It’s not why she was added. I said it 3 times so you could understand.

For the fourth time, IT IS NOT THE ONLY REASON.

he DOES NOT care about the surprise factor, which is what I said, he wants to catch people off guard by balancing out the typical human hero type characters and the monsterous villain type characters with wacky ****

He KNOWS it wouldn’t be as much of a fun moment / reveal, but that’s not important, what’s important is that we already have a character that covers that, so he wouldn’t do it again.

and you don’t need to reply to me I already know you’re gonna say “BUT SURPRISE FACTOR DOESNT MATTERRRR” okay good talk

Sakurai had no issues adding Terry despite the fact that we already had Ryu and Ken in Smash. He had no problem adding other sword fighters like Hero and Byleth despite the fact that we already had a good bunch of them (and the Smash fanbases' temper tantrums over them...)

So yeah, I don't think Sakurai or Nintendo would care that RFA may share some similarities with WFT.
yeah seee the issue here is Sakurai outright says, in this interview that I will link again, that unconventional characters are added to balance out the roster. We don’t need 2 unconventional fitness characters because 1 is already enough to balance out the roster. Yeah, Terry is ALSO from a fighting game, but Terry isn’t here to balance out the roster the way the “wtf” characters do.

you CANNOT refute that, because he literally says it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gameinformer.com/interview/2018/11/21/masahiro-sakurai-talks-piranha-plant-spirits-and-20-years-of-super-smash-bros?amp

Rather, I believe it’s important to have a good balance as a game. In the past titles in the series, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog were some of the examples we offered outside of people’s typical expectations.

“...were some of the examples we offered outside of people’s typical EXPECTATIONS”. It’s for the variety. These characters SPECIFICALLY. It doesn’t mean EVERY SINGLE MOTHER****ING CHARACTER is added for variety, just these guys. Don’t bring up TERRY IS FROM A FIGHTING GAME and don’t be like HERO HAS A SWORD because these guys aren’t the kind of characters Sakurai LISTS HIMSELF. why? Idk, ask Sakurai cuz he ****ing says it himself

EDIT: I’m not replying to everyone who responded to my post above, just read this and try to understand. And to the mod that responded to me, yeah I know we’re arguing about fictional characters, it’s just frustrating that everyone is on my **** Bc of a misunderstanding

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’m arguing because you imply this surprise factor is definitely why Sakurai and Nintendo would drop a character for if they didn’t fit it, and then you imply Plant is a good example when it’s a generic Mario enemy and not comparable at all, and Sakurai still had an actual reason to add Plant instead of just simply “lol” unless we want to say he just made stuff up.

Personally, I’m not sure Ring Fit Adventurer is all that likely, and I don’t care either way, but I very much doubt Sakurai and Nintendo are going to consider them to just say “nah” just because of their game letting people work out like Wii Fit. If they consider a character, the surprise factor is going to be the least important reason unless the character is meant to be a complete joke.

And Nintendo is handling the DLC. Sakurai said so himself; he discusses with them until they come to an agreement, but I doubt he’s going to say no just for what he personally wants to happen, especially considering how he said ARMS was a production request and he had a character other than Byleth in mind. No way are they going to take “no” for an answer when the reason is “I can make them work, I have good ideas for them, but they aren’t surprising or quirky enough/their game is similar to another character’s.”

-I see you’re saying they just aren’t quirky enough now. I still don’t think this is a good reason, as characters with a similar aspect (i.e. G & W and Paper Mario) are still very much different, and the quirkiness isn’t the main reason a character is added nor one of the bigger ones (G & W was added because of Nintendo history), and multiple characters with a similar aspect still add variety since the majority of the roster doesn’t have said aspect, but alright, whatever, however I could’ve sworn you started off talking about their surprise value...

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
GAME TIME! GOING OUT WEST!!!

If you got a full pass of these Western characters, who would you pick?
MAKE YOUR OWN PASS (and describe why you chose such)
There are ten companies below, 15 characters.
I gave everyone two freebies if they take Mii+ characters.

- Crash (Crash Bandicoot; ACTIVISION)
- Spyro (Spyro the Dragon/ Skylanders; ACTIVISION)
- Vault Boy (Mii+ character?; Fallout; BETHESDA)
- Doomguy (Doom; BETHESDA)
- Master Chief (Halo, MICROSOFT)
- Steve (Mii+ character?) (Minecraft; MICROSOFT)
- Heavy (Team Fortress 2; VALVE)
- (someone) (League of Legends, RIOT> Now TENCENT)
- Tracer (Overwatch; BLIZZARD)
- Warcraft Character (World of Warcraft; BLIZZARD)
- Rayman (Rayman; UBISOFT)
- Ezio (Assassin's Creed; UBISOFT)
- Scorpion (Mortal Kombat; WB)
- Lara Croft (Tomb Raider; EIDOS INTERACTIVE> SQUARE ENIX)
- Angry Birds (Angry Birds; ROVIO ENTERTAINMENT)

If I missed a prominent character, please let me know, and I will both edit the original post and repost with the new information.
Scorpion
Lara
Spyro
Doom Slayer
Crash
Rayman

The fact you had Angry Birds and not Fulgore or Joanna Dark is questionable at best fam.

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
Well, never let it be said that I'm not true to my word.
I really don’t get you, honestly. But don’t think that I didn’t try to get you, alright. You disagreed with me, it got out of hand, clearly there’s miscommunication here, but that’s alright it happens sometimes. I just hope we still cool I guess. I’m gonna go eat some chicken wings

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
But still, the rights to her series belong to a Japanese company. By your standards, Donkey Kong and Metroid would also be considered Western franchises.
I missed this earlier.

This is being a little bit obtuse. Your kind of forgetting the earlier games were made by Nintendo themselves. So both Metroid and Donkey Kong were originally made by Japanese companies and are owned by Japanese companies. Samus and Ridley are Japanese characters, so is Donkey Kong. Diddy, K.Rool and Dark Samus were made by Western (UK and US respectively) Studios. Who were subsidiaries to a Japanese company. So while owned by Nintendo, they're Western in origin.

Tomb Raider was originally developed and run by British developers, as was Lara herself. And even now, most TR projects are handled by Square's Western branches. So again, you have to look into the character's origin as to why people refer to them as this or that, as opposed to just their copyright owners.

This'd be like saying Terry Bogard, a Japanese fighting game character, is now a Chinese game character because SNK is a subsidiary of a larger Chinese company now. It doesn't magically mean that China is where the character got his start.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
well it's not helix and the RTC thread is just a bunch of people screaming at each other for having opinions, so i'll pass for now

if you're gonna pit le most popular arms character against other random characters whos only similarity is having the letter "M" in their name and nothing else, i sure do wonder who is gonna come out on top. must be a brain racker, that one. :nifty: maybe we'll try geno and goombario next, they got "G".

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Big eyebrows? Its time

Look at the absolute size of those lads
Oh boy I can finally use this
piZap_1588742441228.jpg
Here's what I'm hearing.
Premise: Part of why Wii Fit Trainer, Piranha Plant, Mr. Game & Watch, and the like's inclusion was good was because it was a novel idea.
Conclusion: Characters like them will be excluded because they would not carry the same weight, and will take away what is special about these types of characters.

I don't agree with this conclusion because it claims that novelties are the only reason why these characters are appealing. The fact that Mr. Game & Watch is a 2-dimensional fighter would be less novel if we were to add a Rhythm Heaven character, but that wouldn't detract from his quirky personality, minimalist animation, or his most infamous move: Judge. Meanwhile, the Rhythm Heaven character would be doing its own thing with...well rhythm, and bringing its own brand of charm through the character(s) from its series and their abilities.

Likewise, a Goomba would make the generic enemy character less novel, but it wouldn't reduce the hilarity of being chased down by a potted plant, and would add to the idea (of using a generic enemy) by having to get around having no arms and feet that are too stubby to kick with and expect to have any range whatsoever.

Unrelated, but it would be hilarious to go from
ARMS!________________________to__________________________No arms.
View attachment 271062View attachment 271063
Then we'll get Master Chief right after and some people will claim Goombah is objectively better than Chief because Mario is more well-known

I.D.

Smash Lord
Ooh, I got a question for Granblue people. Remember months back when random textleakers whose names I don't care to remember starting speculating about Katalina? I got a legit question. Why Katalina as the choice? Is she the mascot or something?

We got ****ing Fire Emblem-tier silent main protags over here dude.

View attachment 271023View attachment 271024

Like if they're boring I understand, Edelgard stans must've felt the same way about Byleth pre-reveal. :nifty:
Katalina is unironically more boring than the silent protags.
I think the textleakers picked her because at the time it looked like she might have been the main character of Relink (action game being developed for PS4) but since then we've learned this isn't the case.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
well it's not helix and the RTC thread is just a bunch of people screaming at each other for having opinions, so i'll pass for now

if you're gonna pit le most popular arms character against other random characters whos only similarity is having the letter "M" in their name and nothing else, i sure do wonder who is gonna come out on top. must be a brain racker, that one. :nifty: maybe we'll try geno and goombario next, they got "G".
We're rating all the ARMS characters, those three are just today's picks.

And I dunno about people screaming at each other, but if that's the attitude you're gonna have, then by all means, don't participate.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The Portal talk yesterday got me thinking of how a character from that game would be implemented, and I think I've got an idea. My character pick is Chell. She may not be the most notable of Portal's cast, but I think she'd at least be recognizable, and she's also the one with the Portal Gun. Here's what I think her specials would be:
  • Neutral Special: Portal Gun
    • Chell raises her Portal Gun. Holding the button allows you to aim 360°. When the button is released, Chell will fire a portal in that direction. Unlike in Portal, the portal can open in mid air, but if the projectile hits a surface (including the underside of a semi-solid platform) then it will automatically create a portal along that surface if possible (if not, a portal will form after traveling a set distance). Portals cannot clip through terrain nor can they be placed on top of, or too close to each other. Any player, projectile, or item that goes into a portal, will come out the other (or only exposed) side of the other portal with a slightly higher velocity. Since the player can't control which type of portal they're creating, the portal's color is determined by which one is older, and would be replaced by a new portal. The cool colored portal is always the newest and the warm colored one is always the oldest.
  • Side Special: Deploy Turret
    • Chell presses a button that causes a Sentry Turret to appear from an device on the ground. If any damagable object (any player, or items like bombs and the Sandbag) stands in front of it, it will open fire. The bullets deal damage, but very low knockback, and it is easy to fall out of the turret's fire. When all characters move out of sight, the Sentry Turret will look for damagable objects, increasing it's line of sight for a second or two. The turret is considered to be a large item, and can be picked up. If you do so, the turret will open fire. If you throw the turret it start flailing around, firing everywhere until it deactivates, and disappears after about a second of being on the ground. The same effect can be achieved with a light attack (though this is much more dangerous to you), and the turret can be destroyed outright by a moderately powerful attack.
  • Up Special: Aerial Faith Plate
    • A panel containing an Aerial Faith Plate appears under Chell, and launches her upward in the direction she was facing. There is no hitbox on this attack.
  • Down Special: Deploy Cube
    • Chell presses a button that causes a Weighted Storage Cube to appear from a device on the ground. The move can also summon a Contraption Cube, Discouragement Redirection Cube, or Weighted Companion Cube to varying degrees of rarity. All of these cubes function the same way, however. They are very similar to crates, but they are indestructible to attacks. Instead they have physics based movement when thrown, or attacked, and will harm any players it crashes into.
The idea is that you are creating a bunch of hazards that both you and your opponent have to deal with, and you must outsmart your opponent using these items, and the Portal Gun. Chell does have the advantage though, as the items are spawned right next to her, and she has the unique ability to pick up heavy items without impeding movement since the Portal Gun does it for her.

EDIT: Oh, and it's probably fair that only one of each item can be spawned at a time since more than one turret would be OP, and 8 turrets and cubes is chaos enough. Allowing more could cause problems.
This is going to be a late reply but I find it interesting that Ultimate allowed every character to make use of teleportation mechanic in regular gameplay via the new Warp Zone tool added to the Stage Builder.

Now, I don't know much about The Portal, but do you think Portal Gun can work similarly to that if Chell gets in? We know that DLC characters' specials sometimes act as stand-ins for certain items (like Bayo's Witch Time or Hero's Hocus Pocus effects).

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
If i remember correctly, the reason text leakers were hanging onto Katalina was a misunderstanding
cause those Granblue leaks that people thought were about Smash, actually were for Granblue Versus, which at the time had yet to be unannounced
as the text leaks talked about how Kat was coming to a fighting game

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
GAME TIME! GOING OUT WEST!!!

If you got a full pass of these Western characters, who would you pick?
MAKE YOUR OWN PASS (and describe why you chose such)
There are ten companies below, 15 characters.
I gave everyone two freebies if they take Mii+ characters.

- Crash (Crash Bandicoot; ACTIVISION)
- Spyro (Spyro the Dragon/ Skylanders; ACTIVISION)
- Vault Boy (Mii+ character?; Fallout; BETHESDA)
- Master Chief (Halo, MICROSOFT)
- Steve (Mii+ character?) (Minecraft; MICROSOFT)
- Ezio (Assassin's Creed; UBISOFT)
- Scorpion (Mortal Kombat; WB)
- Lara Croft (Tomb Raider; EIDOS INTERACTIVE> SQUARE ENIX)
- Angry Birds (Angry Birds; ROVIO ENTERTAINMENT)

If I missed a prominent character, please let me know, and I will both edit the original post and repost with the new information.
I tried to not double up on any company.
I had to make my fighters pass 7. Maybe we will get that lucky in FP3. But if I absolytely had to cut one....
I'll bring it to six

Mii Upgraded Costumes:
- Steve Minecraft; MICROSOFT- mii costume, I think, fits him well. And any character who can be a Mii upgrade, I think, should.
- Vault Boy; Fallout; BETHESDA- same as above. More delight. The upgraded Mii's are nearly a free fighter. If only they came with stages.

- Crash (Crash Bandicoot; ACTIVISION); AT Spyro
- Scorpion; Mortal Kombat; WB:
He may actually be my most wanted. And as the 2nd biggest fighting game due to it being a full media franchise, I think we could get him and his c

- Lara Croft; Tomb Raider; EIDOS INTERACTIVE> SQUARE ENIX
She is probably next on my list. It would be difficult to find someone who doesnt consider her a legend. Again- she also has a huge media franchise thanks to the movies, in part. I always thought Bayonetta was supposed to be Her.

-6 Angry Birds; Angry Birds; ROVIO ENTERTAINMENT
Its about time we get this

I HAD TO CUT THE REST:

Now, I cut them only because I'm less familiar with them. Valve, Blizzard, Tencent, are some of the biggest game companies in the world.
But if I didnt include Take-Two Games or EA Games, two of the biggest Western companies... then I think I can cut these.
That said, I could easily expect to see a character from VALVE, BLIZZARD (now a part of ACTIVISION; EA GAMES; TAKE-TWO GAMES; EPIC GAMES, or many others.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Then we'll get Master Chief right after and some people will claim Goombah is objectively better than Chief because Mario is more well-known
Well they wouldn't be wrong but...they also wouldn't be right. lol

This is going to be a late reply but I find it interesting that Ultimate allowed every character to make use of teleportation mechanic in regular gameplay via the new Warp Zone tool added to the Stage Builder.

Now, I don't know much about The Portal, but do you think Portal Gun can work similarly to that if Chell gets in? We know that DLC characters' specials sometimes act as stand-ins for certain items (like Bayo's Witch Time or Hero's Hocus Pocus effects).
Kind of. The general idea is the same, but if we were going for accuracy they would be less like teleporting, and more like connecting two areas of the stage together. For example, if Bowser were to stand halfway into one, the other half of his body would be visible on the other end, and he would be able to move left and right freely in and out of it. They also wouldn't close after use, and would allow items and projectiles to pass through them (I don't know if Warp Zones do this, but I imagine they don't), and the momentum of characters and objects going in would be slightly amplified by the portals if the exit portal doesn't put them on the ground.

It's also possible that they could only be placed on platforms, which is more accurate, potentially less confusing, and may avoid cheap plays at the cost of not being able to do much on flat stages like King of Fighters Stadium.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Any talk of promotional characters is immediately less exciting, as GOTY 2020 isn't eligible for a Smash.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Aside, but Nintendo's earning release will be tonight (somewhere between 8-11pm). They normally talk about their plans for E3 during the March 31st briefing so they may clarify what they are doing this year. This will be in the presentation which may go up a bit later.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm bored so here's a wildcard pick,

Edward Richtofen and his crew from Black ops Zombies. I think they'd be pretty cool characters. I know people within the Smash community aren't the biggest fan of Call of Duty but there are some gems hidden within it, case and point, the zombies mode!

You have four different characters which include Tank Dempsey, Nikolai Belinski, Takeo Masaki and Edward Richtofen that take up a costume slot. We'll just call them the Ultimis crew for convenience.
dca6887a69a2ac09a96e1dc87f021704.jpg

I haven't thought of their normal attacks but I'd imagine they would use a M1911 pistol along with their knife to attack. However I thought of a decent specials moveset for them involving the various wonder weapons you can get from maps.

Neutral Special: Ray Gun - The flagship weapon of the zombies mode! Show your opponents you mean business when you shoot out a Ray of explosive green energy and watch them run in fear of the damage it causes! Be sure to respect it's blast radius though as the explosion can damage you too!
Raygun.gif

Side Special: Thunder Gun - Leave your opponents in awe as you blast them into the sky with the mighty Thundergun! Two shots in total will ensure no one will be able to best you in close quarters combat so make them count!
Thundergun.gif

Up Special: Paralyser - Shoot the Paralyser downwards in order to ascend upwards! Anyone caught within it's wave beam will be slowed down temporarily, allowing you to safely escape pressure. While it can only last for 115 seconds, it can recharge back it's lost energy while it's not in use.
Paralyser slow.gif
Paralyser float small.gif

Down Special: Wunderwaffe DG2 - Found yourself up against multiple opponents? Give them the shock of their lives when you pull out the Wunderwaffe! This wonderful weapon will electrify one opponent then the lightning strike will chain itself to the nearest next opponent it can find, shocking them in place allowing you to finish them off!
Wunderwaffe small.gif

I haven't thought of a Final smash but this is what I've come up with. What do you think of this?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'm bored so here's a wildcard pick,

Edward Richtofen and his crew from Black ops Zombies. I think they'd be pretty cool characters. I know people within the Smash community aren't the biggest fan of Call of Duty but there are some gems hidden within it, case and point, the zombies mode!

You have four different characters which include Tank Dempsey, Nikolai Belinski, Takeo Masaki and Edward Richtofen that take up a costume slot. We'll just call them the Ultimis crew for convenience.
View attachment 271116

I haven't thought of their normal attacks but I'd imagine they would use a M1911 pistol along with their knife to attack. However I thought of a decent specials moveset for them involving the various wonder weapons you can get from maps.

Neutral Special: Ray Gun - The flagship weapon of the zombies mode! Show your opponents you mean business when you shoot out a Ray of explosive green energy and watch them run in fear of the damage it causes! Be sure to respect it's blast radius though as the explosion can damage you too!
View attachment 271111

Side Special: Thunder Gun - Leave your opponents in awe as you blast them into the sky with the mighty Thundergun! Two shots in total will ensure no one will be able to best you in close quarters combat so make them count!
View attachment 271114

Up Special: Paralyser - Shoot the Paralyser downwards in order to ascend upwards! Anyone caught within it's wave beam will be slowed down temporarily, allowing you to safely escape pressure. While it can only last for 115 seconds, it can recharge back it's lost energy while it's not in use.
View attachment 271112View attachment 271113

Down Special: Wunderwaffe DG2 - Found yourself up against multiple opponents? Give them the shock of their lives when you pull out the Wunderwaffe! This wonderful weapon will electrify one opponent then the lightning strike will chain itself to the nearest next opponent it can find, shocking them in place allowing you to finish them off!
View attachment 271115

I haven't thought of a Final smash but this is what I've come up with. What do you think of this?
For the Final Smash, I’m thinking of something involving the Monkey Bomb. Richthofen throws it and if it hits anyone there’s a cutscene where zombies attack the hit fighter then the Monkey explodes, ending the cutscene.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
If we are talking about characters with big eyebrows getting in, why don't we talk about characters with big beards?

Kratos beard.jpg

Edit: I did not see that the spirit event was for big eyebrows. I just thought people were kidding around.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If we are talking about characters with big eyebrows getting in, why don't we talk about characters with big beards?

View attachment 271120

Edit: I did not see that the spirit event was for big eyebrows. I just thought people were kidding around.

I approve this choice. We need characters with beards, Snake is the only one with a beard and that's unforgivable.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I approve this choice. We need characters with beards, Snake is the only one with a beard and that's unforgivable.
Yeah, I know. Even the Dorf shaved. Even Snake's character icon shaved. :ultsnake:

We're still missing out on the best Ganondorf to date:

I also maintain that we need a few good viking barbarians in the cast (despite the default look having blond stubble more than anything else. Still, that's more than the other 70+ characters in Smash have.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
For the Final Smash, I’m thinking of something involving the Monkey Bomb. Richthofen throws it and if it hits anyone there’s a cutscene where zombies attack the hit fighter then the Monkey explodes, ending the cutscene.
I'm thinking something more flashy, like the Final Smash should reference an Easter Egg from Zombies. I'm thinking of something like Richtofen's Grand Scheme. Maybe Maxis sends the three missiles to attack the trapped fighters, destorying earth and them getting swarmed by zombies? I don't know.

With now supporting Axel Stone comes the added layer of the inevitable fear of a SoR Spirit Event.
Oh no! That can happen! Please Nintendo! Don't kill Axel! He's been a good boy this year!

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I’m willing to follow this viking trail for fun.
Potential Viking Characters:

1) Barbara - As seen in the post above, she’s got a large axe, had a trophy in 4, and looks pretty great. Would be weird to have a Rayman rep before Rayman though.

2) Assassin’s Creed Valhalla Promo Character - Would promote a AAA game and presumably guarantee a switch version. But also incredibly unlikely to have a third party promo character.

3) Lord Fredrik Of the Snowmads - I mean, not as much of a cold-day-in-hell situation as the above two, but before Dixie?

4) Thora from Jotun: she’s an obscure indie and as neat as her hand drawn sprite game, they had the shot with Cuphead. This also goes for anyone from the Banner Saga.

any other big viking video game characters you guys thinking of?

(examples from Fire Emblem immediately vetoed).

Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
ARMS character prediction:

Most likely: Min-Min or Helix

Want: Coyle

Weird limbo: Spring Man and Springtron

Status