• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don’t think it matters if Western characters were published by Nintendo in Japan at least at some point, we still have Western content that isn’t from games they’ve published but have acknowledged/seemed to like. It’s not like they own said games nor does it make it much easier to get past barriers, either, especially in Banjo & Kazooie’s case.
Funny thing is the barrier for Banjo-Kazooie was getting in Microsoft's good graces. They accomplished that through Minecraft years ago.

Meaning that they didn't actually go to Microsoft just for B-K. That's something that was easier to do later on for Pass 1. At best it seems Sakurai was required to advertise Microsoft a little.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I made a reveal trailer concept for Axel Stone:
Some time has passed…since the last struggle against villainy. The fall of Mr. X’s Syndicate has relieved the city and its people of chaos, and it’s been happy and peaceful ever since…

Until one day, an even greater crisis threatens more than just the city. Mysterious beams have been spotted, and hundreds of people-even major Syndicate members-have mysteriously disappeared. In addition, strange puppet-like beings that act like the people of Wood Oak have appeared all over the city. Only ex-cop Axel Stone remains to investigate not only the puppets and the beams, but the disappearance of his friends.

A task like this will be harder than anything Axel has seen before. With only him to get to the bottom of things, he must be willing to risk everything—even his life, in…”

(*cue picture of Galeem using his wings to form an angry eye, and Master Hand and Crazy Hand looming over the city, a la this picture*)

View attachment 270964

“…the Streets of Light.”

Axel Stone Goes Straight Through!

(Gameplay scenes displaying Axel’s moveset, stage, and Final Smash against puppet fighters, as well as a snippet of Axel facing Galeem)

SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE X STREETS OF RAGE

@ 2018 Nintendo

Original Game: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc.

Characters: © Nintendo / Hal Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM USA., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft / SNK CORPORATION.
What do you guys think?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm interested to see if we get a Western company in Smash. I'd expect there'll probably be one, but I'm terrible at speculation in general.

BK seems more like a unique case than anything else, considering Rare used to be a Ninty 2nd party. They were a perfect storm of history, fanpower, and of course Microsoft being easy to work with.

Now if any other company gets in, what is the big reasoning there? Would fanbase still have a pull? Would the fanpower need to be pretty big in Japan as well? Would it be something coming with a lot of history in general or with Nintendo? Something well received in Japan (there are only 2 western games that managed a perfect Famitsu)? Something more bureaucratic like them trying to thank a company for their support of Nintendo consoles or a method to build a support base?

I feel like, with 5 characters to go (okay 4 since one of them will be a Pokémon or the player character from Fire Emblem 2021), they'd probably go west for one of them. COVID-19 is likely delaying a lot of stuff now, but the negotiations were probably already done by then; what's being delayed is the checkups and showing progress/making slight changes. And without E3, they don't really need to give a big-name character for Western audiences at a central event. I'd guess that if this character had to get delayed, we'd probably not even know about them until E3 2021.

But I have no idea where they're going. I just have a feeling that they can't ignore all of the western characters for just one slot. I still think Steve has the biggest edge, but I know precisely who I'm hoping for.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Now if any other company gets in, what is the big reasoning there? Would fanbase still have a pull? Would the fanpower need to be pretty big in Japan as well? Would it be something coming with a lot of history in general or with Nintendo? Something well received in Japan (there are only 2 western games that managed a perfect Famitsu)? Something more bureaucratic like them trying to thank a company for their support of Nintendo consoles or a method to build a support base?
I think Crash hits most of the marks. He's a popular gaming mascot that's been having a resurgence lately and unlike most other western characters, actually has popularity in Japan.

Having a screenshot with Mario, Sonic and Crash all together would be a big marketing boon.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Crash, Steve, Master Chief and Dovahkiin I say are our most likely bets for another western rep. Crash or Steve being the most likely.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
More options = better?

It's readable if you have good vision, though it doesn't comply with accessibility guidelines (not enough contrast). It's not the only one like this, but people don't usually decide "Ya' know what color I want my text to be? Dark gray."

Your monitor settings could also affect its readability. That's not to say your setting are wrong (it's mostly just a preference thing), but a setting that makes colors pop a bit more could help in that respect if you were determined to keep color on, but also wanted to read it.
Maybe I have to face I'm getting old. I love color. And honestly, I love reading what Ben Holt Ben Holt has to say- not just because his name means something to be, but I am an LGBTQ advocate, and am a firm believer in pushing non binary expression....

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think people are severely underrating Lara Croft’s chances. Tomb Raider is pretty much a world wide property and everyone has heard the name Lara Croft in some form or another. Movies, games, comics, doesn’t matter. She’s huge. Shadow of the Tomb Raider released in September of 2018 too which means that she could’ve been on Sakurai’s radar early on. If she did make it in she’s be a HUGE get and she’s the one I’d put money on if we’re getting a Square rep this time. Sorry Geno.

Edit: Japan also contributed 5% of all sales to Shadow of the Tomb Raider and that seems pretty damn good.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think people are severely underrating Lara Croft’s chances. Tomb Raider is pretty much a world wide property and everyone has heard the name Lara Croft in some form or another. Movies, games, comics, doesn’t matter. She’s huge. Shadow of the Tomb Raider released in September of 2018 too which means that she could’ve been on Sakurai’s radar early on. If she did make it in she’s be a HUGE get and she’s the one I’d put money on if we’re getting a Square rep this time. Sorry Geno.

Edit: Japan also contributed 5% of all sales to Shadow of the Tomb Raider and that seems pretty damn good.
Knew I was forgetting someone. Definitely would put her in the top 5 with those four I listed above.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Honestly, I keep going back and forth on Lara. I think she's likely, but at the same time... I don't. Maybe it has something to do with Square (though they're more lenient than I thought), but I can't quite pinpoint how I feel about her.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Guess how I'd rank the chances for each of them.

1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Steve
3. Lara Croft
4. Dovahkiin
5. Master Chief

What do you guys think?

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I keep going back and forth on Lara. I think she's likely, but at the same time... I don't. Maybe it has something to do with Square (though they're more lenient than I thought), but I can't quite pinpoint how I feel about her.
If we get Lara I really hope for a block ***** alt costume. Also I’d love another final fantasy character so we can actually get content from the series, but Lara Croft would be dope

I also want Sora but I feel like if he was faithful to his games he’d be broken as ****

Dude, Steve would be an big reveal. Definitely not an weird note at all.
Oh no doubt he’d be big, when I say weird, I mean like, the idea of a Minecraft character in a fighting game is pretty out there

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
GAME TIME! GOING OUT WEST!!!

If you got a full pass of these Western characters, who would you pick?
MAKE YOUR OWN PASS (and describe why you chose such)
There are ten companies below, 15 characters.
I gave everyone two freebies if they take Mii+ characters.

- Crash (Crash Bandicoot; ACTIVISION)
- Spyro (Spyro the Dragon/ Skylanders; ACTIVISION)
- Vault Boy (Mii+ character?; Fallout; BETHESDA)
- Doomguy (Doom; BETHESDA)
- Master Chief (Halo, MICROSOFT)
- Steve (Mii+ character?) (Minecraft; MICROSOFT)
- Heavy (Team Fortress 2; VALVE)
- (someone) (League of Legends, RIOT> Now TENCENT)
- Tracer (Overwatch; BLIZZARD)
- Warcraft Character (World of Warcraft; BLIZZARD)
- Rayman (Rayman; UBISOFT)
- Ezio (Assassin's Creed; UBISOFT)
- Scorpion (Mortal Kombat; WB)
- Lara Croft (Tomb Raider; EIDOS INTERACTIVE> SQUARE ENIX)
- Angry Birds (Angry Birds; ROVIO ENTERTAINMENT)

If I missed a prominent character, please let me know, and I will both edit the original post and repost with the new information.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

The question is. Old or new Lara? Smash tends to go old, but as far as I know (which I'll admit is very little) the old version isn't really used anymore.

This sounds funny as someone who’s played a lot of PvP on servers (mostly Hypixel’s Mega Walls); the game isn’t a stranger to combat, either...
If Steve gets in, I hope his Neutral Attack is that pitiful excuse for a sword swing, and it operates kinda like Isabelle's Neutral Attack.

If I missed a prominent character, please let me know, and I will both edit the original post and repost with the new information.
-Dragonborn (The Elder Scrolls; Bethesda)

Well...I say The Elder Scrolls (because its correct), but we all know the character would be classified as being from Skyrim specifically regardless of whether or not we get any content from the other games in the series.

EDIT: Also, why is Steve only allowed as a Mii costume?

EDIT EDIT: Oh also:
-Chell (Portal; Valve)
-Gordan Freeman (Half Life; Valve)

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Guess how I'd rank the chances for each of them.

1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Steve
3. Lara Croft
4. Dovahkiin
5. Master Chief

What do you guys think?
Honestly, I think this looks good. My pessimism is suggesting that there's a huge gap between the top three and the other two though. And I still have a gut feeling that Crash and Steve are really close and far above Lara.

- (someone) (League of Legends, RIOT)

You pick all of the major Beth names except the one I really want? :crying:

not gonna lie though, Vault Boy as a Mii would be epic. May have to buy that one.

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
This sounds funny as someone who’s played a lot of PvP on servers (mostly Hypixel’s Mega Walls); the game isn’t a stranger to combat, either...
I meant mainly the physics of it, Steve doesn't exactly move as fluid as some of the other cast. I would love to see him in action though

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Honestly, I think this looks good. My pessimism is suggesting that there's a huge gap between the top three and the other two though. And I still have a gut feeling that Crash and Steve are really close and far above Lara.

You pick all of the major Beth names except the one I really want? :crying:

not gonna lie though, Vault Boy as a Mii would be epic. May have to buy that one.
That's fair.
I considered adding Skyrim... but it stands out so much more than the other Elder Scrolls game, that I think that, while it could easily happen for Smash, it just gets more an more niche.

Sure, we have FF7 and P5 specifically- but I'm doing my best to overall represent the company, and I dont feel dovahklin nor Skyrim do this all that well.
But he'd be a great assist trophy! Just like characters from Half Life; Portal; Starcraft; and so many more games that are prominent from these main companies. I think I chose the characters that are most about the characters (for everything except Warcraft... which to me seems like its own field at this point of being so well known as the big online game for so long).

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

- (someone) (League of Legends, RIOT)

Steve (wouldn’t work as a Mii as well as a fighter imo assuming you mean full suit + has lots more potential than the mii moves (and at least a few of the mii moves don’t fit him at all, much more if gunner or brawler)), Master Chief, Crash, Rayman, Doomguy, Heavy.

Steve: my most-wanted and I’m sure he’d be really fun. I really want him to be in alongside Banjo & Kazooie, whom were my other most-wanteds.

Master Chief: Microsoft’s beloved space marine (I don’t really care much but I am a bit interested in Halo and he seems kinda cool + would please others)

Crash: I like him, played some games of his when I was younger even if I’ve lost most interest in his games, and he’d please fans.

Rayman: Mainly just for his fans.

Doomguy: he’s cool.

Heavy: “I am Heavy Weapons Guy...AND THIS...is my Smash invitation!”

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The question is. Old or new Lara? Smash tends to go old, but as far as I know (which I'll admit is very little) the old version isn't really used anymore.

If Steve gets in, I hope his Neutral Attack is that pitiful excuse for a sword swing, and it operates kinda like Isabelle's Neutral Attack.

-Dragonborn (The Elder Scrolls; Bethesda)

Well...I say The Elder Scrolls (because its correct), but we all know the character would be classified as being from Skyrim specifically regardless of whether or not we get any content from the other games in the series.

EDIT: Also, why is Steve only allowed as a Mii costume?

EDIT EDIT: Oh also:
-Chell (Portal; Valve)
-Gordan Freeman (Half Life; Valve)
You can make steve a character- but I wanted to offer that he (anyone) could be a mii character... I just cant see more than Vault boy or Steve getting the Mii+ upgrade. And that fits both very well, in my eyes.

And for Lara- I'd guess she'd be the perfect blend of old and new- which is the trend I personally see in characters with varying appearances.

Steve (wouldn’t work as a Mii as well as a fighter imo assuming you mean full suit + has lots more potential than the mii moves (and at least a few of the mii moves don’t fit him at all, much more if gunner or brawler)), Master Chief, Crash, Rayman, Doomguy, Heavy.

Steve: my most-wanted and I’m sure he’d be really fun. I really want him to be in alongside Banjo & Kazooie, whom were my other most-wanteds.

Master Chief: Microsoft’s beloved space marine (I don’t really care much but I am a bit interested in Halo and he seems kinda cool + would please others)

Crash: I like him, played some games of his when I was younger even if I’ve lost most interest in his games, and he’d please fans.

Rayman: Mainly just for his fans.

Doomguy: he’s cool.

Heavy: “I am Heavy Weapons Guy...AND THIS...is my Smash invitation!”
I think Steve would work as a Mii, even witht he movement. We see story mode of minecraft give chraacters mroe movement. And I think it works really well for Steve, without being too much of a reach. But htats just my thoughts on why I think he could work. Most characters who are of generally the same size, and dont need to be expressive, I will put as a Mii. (That's where I put Geno, as well).

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Its simply for a western fighter character pass:

- Crash (Activision-Blizzard)
- Doomslayer (Bethesda)
- Lara Croft (Eidos)
- Scorpion (Warner Bros)
- Steve (Microsoft)

5 different companies, 5 genres (platforms, shooters, adventure, fighting, sandbox). It won't happen but man, those five with other 5 japanese characters (sora, dante, ryu hayabusa, heihachi and geno) would make me incredibly happy. :) (well, really not, replace Steve with Rayman so between the 3 fighter passes we would get 15 different companies including Nintendo xD)

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's fair.
I considered adding Skyrim... but it stands out so much more than the other Elder Scrolls game, that I think that, while it could easily happen for Smash, it just gets more an more niche.

Sure, we have FF7 and P5 specifically- but I'm doing my best to overall represent the company, and I dont feel dovahklin nor Skyrim do this all that well.
But he'd be a great assist trophy! Just like characters from Half Life; Portal; Starcraft; and so many more games that are prominent from these main companies. I think I chose the characters that are most about the characters (for everything except Warcraft... which to me seems like its own field at this point of being so well known as the big online game for so long).
It's niche because it's...more popular? What?

I also don't agree that Skyrim (and by extension, The Elder Scrolls) doesn't represent Bethesda well. I may just not know enough, but it seems like it and Fallout are the company's two flagship franchises. I at least think its fair to say that these long running franchises are just as good at representing their parent company as the IP that only just got relevant again four years ago.

I'd also argue that Half Life and Portal should get characters as well (provided you could find something fitting for Portal in terms of gameplay). Half Life is the more niche of the two, but it still has a major following, and despite being a silent protagonist, Gordan Freeman is a pretty well known character (which makes sense, as he seems to be the series's mascot). Portal's most notable characters are stuck to the ceiling but...it's Portal. It's one of the few game series that became a part of pop culture. If GLaDOS was a more humanoid robot, the majority of people would be without a doubt that she'd be the Valve rep if there was one.

But that's just my two cents.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Dixie Kong is a western character because just like 3 of our 4 current western characters in the game (:ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultdarksamus::ultbanjokazooie:), she was created by Rare.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Maybe I have to face I'm getting old. I love color. And honestly, I love reading what Ben Holt Ben Holt has to say- not just because his name means something to be, but I am an LGBTQ advocate, and am a firm believer in pushing non binary expression....
I don't wanna break your heart, but I'm 100% male. Pansexual, but male.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Why not both? And when I say that I mean in terms of both Smash and how Square markets her.

Right now anything that is labeled “Tomb Raider” has been using her newer design:
Which has been getting consistently better over the years. Like, vastly.

But I digress. Anything that uses “Lara Croft”, which includes; Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, Lara Croft: Relic Run, and Lara Croft Go, as the title uses this design:
Which is, in my opinion, a pitch perfect update to her classic look.

So, yeah. I think Lara would fit perfectly as both.

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
Just in case you missed this video by our own @Delzethin abiut 1st party support, he brings up some good points about what 1st parties would be viable.
Yeah I watched this video yesterday. I'm gonna give my thoughts (not like anyone cares but it'll be fun)

So spoilers for the video I guess but basically he thinks the characters that could potentially get in are:

- Rex & Pyra
- Paper Mario
- Akira (from Astral Chain)
- Bandana Dee
- A pokemon from Sword and Sheild
- Ring Fit Trainer
- Euden
- Some new character

I think this video is very well made and he does bring up some good points, but of these, I think the only ones with actual chances are Rex, Akira and a pokemon from sword and shield.

Rex is the only character, first party AND third party, that I'm 100% sure will be in this pass. With an ARMS character getting revealed, it's clear that Sakurai is okay with going back to characters that he missed and making them fighters this time around. Of course, this doesn't mean the entire pass is going to be the ****ing redemption arc, it just means its possible for those got the short end of the **** to get in again. The way that Sakurai basically apologized to Rex fans makes me seem like he actually wanted Rex too, so I think he is for sure in.

A Pokemon from Gen 8 and Akira are in interesting spots. I can definitely see them getting in because of promotional reasons and I personally think Akira would ****ing slap a ************ in a MECH that **** is tough. The issue is that both of these series had spirit events already, so it honestly depends on if FP2 was planned before or after their spirit events.

I don't see Ring Fit Trainer getting in because it would be so redundant. yeah, she'd be unique, but like, Sakurai likes the surprise factor. He outright said a situation like plant wouldn't happen again because it becomes less shocking. Of course, Wii Fit Trainer and Piranha Plant weren't added just for shock value, but it's part of what makes them special. Wii Fit 2 wouldn't be as special so I don't see her happening.

Paper Mario would be cool, and so would Bandana Dee, but I just don't see either of them happening. They seem pretty low priority. If there is a new Paper Mario game coming out I could see him coming, but eh, they just don't scream DLC to me I can't explain why. I know it's not much of an argument, but I fr just don't see them happening.

Euden I'm honestly unfamiliar with, but he transforms into a dragon right? Corrin covers that. I know he talks about how Euden can be different from Corrin, but Sakurai is really putting the emphasis on DLC characters being unique from the rest of the cast, so another anime swordfighter that transforms into a dragon was DLC for Smash 4, not this game imo

Finally, I actually do think some new character is possible. Not guaranteed, but possible. It's hard to say but we've seen it happen with Byleth so I wouldn't be surprised

osby

Smash Obsessed
Why not both? And when I say that I mean in terms of both Smash and how Square markets her.

Right now anything that is labeled “Tomb Raider” has been using her newer design:
Which has been getting consistently better over the years. Like, vastly.

But I digress. Anything that uses “Lara Croft”, which includes; Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, Lara Croft: Relic Run, and Lara Croft Go, as the title uses this design:
Which is, in my opinion, a pitch perfect update to her classic look.

So, yeah. I think Lara would fit perfectly as both.
I feel like Lara is one of those characters that they'll mix or update her different designs. I prefer her old face and hair myself, but an option to choose her more sensible outfit is a must.

I don't see Ring Fit Trainer getting in because it would be so redundant. yeah, she'd be unique, but like, Sakurai likes the surprise factor. He outright said a situation like plant wouldn't happen again because it becomes less shocking. Of course, Wii Fit Trainer and Piranha Plant weren't added just for shock value, but it's part of what makes them special. Wii Fit 2 wouldn't be as special so I don't see her happening.
I don't find a Ring Fit character likely but comparing it to Wii Fit feels a bit too superficial.

You actually fight against enemies in Ring Fit Adventure despite its wackiness. If its protag gets in, it wouldn't be a "you'd never expect this character to join the battle" situation like in Wii Fit Trainer.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I think alot about how SEGA almost merged with Namco and almost bought out SNK and Marvel when they both went bankrupt.

What a bizarre timeline that would've been. There's also Microsoft trying to buy out Nintendo in 1999.

Last edited:

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Lara is one of those characters that they'll mix or update her different designs. I prefer her old face and hair myself, but an option to choose her more sensible outfit is a must.

I don't find a Ring Fit character likely but comparing it to Wii Fit feels a bit too superficial.

You actually fight against enemies in Ring Fit Adventure despite its wackiness. If its protag gets in, it wouldn't be a "you'd never expect this character to join the battle" situation like in Wii Fit Trainer.
I never played the game so I can't act like I know exactly what I'm talking about but let's be real, fitness game staring a ___ fit trainer, it's petty close to Wii Fit Trainer, as in like, fitness moves you feel me. I'm sure they could make her unique, but I'm sure Sakurai could make ANY character unique

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I think alot about how SEGA almost merged with Namco and almost bought out SNK and Marvel when they both went bankrupt.

What a bizarre timeline that would've been. There's also Microsoft trying to buy out Nintendo in 1999.
In 1983 Atari had a deal with Nintendo that they would release the famicom under the Atari brand while Nintendo would get royalties.

The deal was actually all negotiated, but then later that year the video game crash of 1983 caused Atari to implode and most of the upper management that brokered the deal to leave the company. So the deal fell apart, but it was actually extremely close to actually happening.

So Nintendo can thank the landfill full of ET the game cartridges for their success as an independent company.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

My pass is Crash, Master Chief, Ezio, Scorpion and Lara. I think there you have easily the biggest Western characters they could go for (which is exactly why this is so unrealistic).
I never played the game so I can't act like I know exactly what I'm talking about but let's be real, fitness game staring a ___ fit trainer, it's petty close to Wii Fit Trainer, as in like, fitness moves you feel me. I'm sure they could make her unique, but I'm sure Sakurai could make ANY character unique
If the name is giving you pause, I don't think the character would even be called that. Ring Fit Adventurer is a better fit, derives from the name of the game, and the character isn't a trainer at all, it's actually your avatar.

As for gameplay differences, just the fact that they fight with a weapon (a ring that can shoot air blasts, propel then through the air, etc) should be more than enough to differentiate between the two.

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know since they really are going all out with Mii Costumes, do you think we can see more voice options added for Mii Costumes. Like imagine we got Travis's VA for Travis's Mii Costume, or Dante's VA (that's also Ken) with Dante's Mii Costume

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
You know since they really are going all out with Mii Costumes, do you think we can see more voice options added for Mii Costumes. Like imagine we got Travis's VA for Travis's Mii Costume, or Dante's VA (that's also Ken) with Dante's Mii Costume
The whole point of Mii Costumes, even deluxe ones like Sans and Cuphead, is that they're so easy and painless to program. No voices, no animations, no unique movesets. Just a simple model swap.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ring Fit Trainee isn't really similar to Wii Fit Trainer aside from body shape and name.

:ultwiifittrainer: isn't different from a normal human while Ring grants you a lot of powers like creating vacuums and air blasts to fight and fly, attacking with body parts made of energy, using rings to break large objects. Also, WFT in Smash mostly uses yoga poses which leaves a lot of other fitness techniques untouched.

Sakurai would have to actively try in order to not making Fit Trainee unique.

7NATOR

Smash Master
The whole point of Mii Costumes, even deluxe ones like Sans and Cuphead, is that they're so easy and painless to program. No voices, no animations, no unique movesets. Just a simple model swap.
New animations and Unique Movesets are 1 thing. Voices aren't that hard in comparison. Mii's already have 12 voice options that all can be pitched and stuff. it be like getting new Music and stuff

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Ring Fit Trainee isn't really similar to Wii Fit Trainer aside from body shape and name.

:ultwiifittrainer: isn't different from a normal human while Ring grants you a lot of powers like creating vacuums and air blasts to fight and fly, attacking with body parts made of energy, using rings to break large objects. Also, WFT in Smash mostly uses yoga poses which leaves a lot of other fitness techniques untouched.

Sakurai would have to actively try in order to not making Fit Trainee unique.
I can't remember which character it was, but I remember people saying that Character X would just be a clone of Character Y because they were visually similar but had nothing else in common.
Maybe it was Ridley and Charizard, but I remember the comparison being more ridiculous than that.
Edit: Also maybe it was Waluigi to Wario, but I don't think that was it either.
As if one could see Waluigi fighting ANYTHING like Wario, much less being a clone. Farting Waluigi would look ridiculous.

EDIT 2: I REMEMBER NOW! It was Banjo-Kazooie and Duck Hunt! People actually used to argue that Banjo and Kazooie would just be a Duck Hunt clone as if that made ANY goddamn sense.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I can't remember which character it was, but I remember people saying that Character X would just be a clone of Character Y because they were visually similar but had nothing else in common.
Maybe it was Ridley and Charizard, but I remember the comparison being more ridiculous than that.
"Lucario would just be a Mewtwo clone"
"Rosalina would just be a Peach clone"
"Bayonetta would just be a ZSS clone"
"Mega Man would just be a Samus clone"
"Erdrick would just be a Robin clone"
"Joker would just be a Bayonetta clone"
"Terry would just be a Ryu clone"
"X character would just be a Y character clone because they have no similarities whatsoever aside from the fact that both of them happen to wield a sword"

Heard all of them, unironically.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Lowkey i'm surprised no has Accused Crash of being a Incineroar Clone. Both Spin and have an Wild Personality and also belly flop. I thought more people would be doing this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom