• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
you cannot play ribbon girl like ninjara or min-min and vice versa. They dont have each others mechanics. giving triple jump to min-min would just be wierd and ruins what makes each one different. Just like If ryu had akuma teleport it wouldnt work either. Saying arms characters are all the same becuase they have similar builds and "punch each other" just is ignoring what the game itself presents. When fighting game characters have movesets the only time sakurai has made up a move to fill out the smash moveset has been terry's upair. It would be a complete departure for sakurai to now start making up moves for an arms character other than min-min to kick.

plus honestly i view the collection of heros as more of a fanservice and repsect deserved of DQ for its legacy and impact. which Arms doesnt have.

an entire extra echo character is very different from terry having more music or hero having more alts.
So, say we do just add Ribbon Girl. All of a sudden we have a character who ONLY punches but has a triple jump. That’s incredibly uninteresting.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh boohoo, it's not popular because the game series ended. :nifty:

With Nintendo at the helm of choosing, and they already start off choosing ARMS, I'm up for anything being possible. Not in the sense that I'm creaming over something something fanrules, but I got no clue what crazy **** they'll do. You can try to use big brain high IQ analysis to try and predict what corporate would choose, but I guarantee failure in anticipating or seeming to know what they would or wouldn't do.

Ooo, what about Mike Jones? Animal Crossing New Horizons made a reference to StarTropics. He's got a ****ing yo-yo, that's hype.
The “anyone is possible“ argument helps everyone, which in turn helps no one. What is it again, a rising tide lifts all ships?

You can look at Banjo and Terry all you want, but while you’re at it you might as well look at the hundreds of characters people have theorized over at one point or another that haven’t found themselves on the roster. Aka the majority.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The “anyone is possible“ argument helps everyone, which in turn helps no one.
i'm down for surprises

What is it again, a rising tide lifts all ships?
i dont know mr. anime monologue why are you asking a random 18 year old

You can look at Banjo and Terry all you want, but while you’re at it you might as well look at the hundreds of characters people have theorized over at one point or another that haven’t found themselves on the roster. Aka the majority.
that was my point, though i guess portrayed differently. no one can pinpoint anything, we're in for a wild ride.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I see a lot of people saying stuff like, "It would be so weird if Spring Man or Ribbon Girl could kick like Min Min."

I think most people who believe we're getting an ARMS character with multiple alt characters think the base fighter will be Spring Man, the most vanilla character on the roster. There's not much about Spring Man that would feel unnatural on other ARMS characters. The idle animation may look weird, but that's so insignificant compared to everything else.

If Sakurai's goal was to make a character like Bowser Jr., then I don't see why he'd opt for someone outside Spring Man or Ribbon Girl for the base fighter.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
i'm down for surprises. that was my point, though i guess portrayed differently. no one can pinpoint anything, we're in for a wild ride.
Well if you were just trying to argue that anything could happen, you'd probably be rattling that off much more frequently than when people simply tell you your very unlikely characters won't be happening, because people say "x won't happen" on basically every page.

I mean it's not like I didn't see the context in which you said it.

i dont know mr. anime monologue why are you asking a random 18 year old
Good point, it's pretty much only random 18-year-olds who would think that expression is from an anime. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

I normally like Source Gaming's stuff, but man, their argument against multiple reps as alts is extremely weak.

"It would be weird to have one pack of the Fighter's Pass have more value than the rest of the pass."
This already happened multiple times in the last pass. Joker and Terry had more spirit battles than the other packs, Hero had more unique alts than everyone else, and Terry had more music than literally everyone else combined. It's pretty clear Sakurai isn't going to limit the content in each pass to ensure equality.

"Unlike the Heroes, the ARMS characters have unique identities and abilities. Combining them is like putting Ryu, Akuma, Sakura, and Dan into the same slot."
Woo boy. A lot to unpack here, and all of it is wrong.

First off, the Heroes do have unique abilities in their source material that aren't translated to Smash. Eight lost the ability to use spears and boomerangs, Solo lost his knives, bows, and axes, Erdrick lost his whips, and Eleven lost his two-handed greatswords. Likewise, they gained previously only usable by one other hero (Eight is the only one of the heroes to use Psyche Up in Dragon Quest) and were never usable by any of them (no Dragon Quest hero can use the Woosh series of spells in game). What makes these characters work within a single moveset is their lowest common denominator: they all use swords, shields, and some of the same magic. As such, losing some abilities and gaining others isn't a huge deal, because their general outline is consistent with their most primary abilities in Dragon Quest.

Similarly, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min also have a lowest common denominator: relatively balanced stats, a similar build, and punching/grabbing with long stretchy arms. These are the key elements that make these four unique relative to other characters in both inside and outside of ARMS. As such, these characters feel like themselves when they display these abilities. Do these four have unique attributes from each other they could capitalize on in a Smash appearance? Of course, but these are tertiary abilities that could realistically be sacrificed or distributed to all four to flesh out their moveset, similar to the unique aspects of the heroes.

The shotos, by comparison, are a bad example because they don't have this common denominator. While they all share the hadoken, shoryuken, and tatsumaki, the way these abilities function are drastically different. Akuma has dark hadokens that he can fire in the air, Sakura has shorter hadokens that she can charge and send at an angle, and Dan has weak hadokens that are fired with one hand. The Dragon Quest heroes, by comparison, use a similar style of swordplay and have a good number of overlapping spells (the frizz family, the zap family, the snooze family, the heal family, etc). The ARMS characters are in a similar boat. They mostly throw standards jabs that they can then curve to hit opponents. Assuming they're using the same family of ARMS, Spring Man punching someone is not that different from Ribbon Girl punching someone.

TL;DR: The Heroes are unique but have a common abilities that let them share a spot. This is similar to Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min, but not the Shotos.
To add onto this, the Shoto argument assumes Street Fighter is only about Shotos. Imagine a Street Fighter game where every character has hadokens, tatsumakis, and shoryukens, and that's basically ARMS. That's how similar everyone is in ARMs, and with less inputs and moves too.

Meanwhile in Street Fighter, there are clear cut differences between every character that is not a shoto to a point they all control differently. Like count all of the differences between someone like Karin and Ryu's movesets, and then count how many differences Lola Pop and Spring Man have.

For reference, Karin:

Ryu's moveset

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So, say we do just add Ribbon Girl. All of a sudden we have a character who ONLY punches but has a triple jump. That’s incredibly uninteresting.
It's more than that though. If we had Spring Man with Ribbon Girl as an Echo Fighter, they would have pretty much the same if not the exact same moveset, but their properties would completely change their gameplan. Spring Man would be more grounded, neutral based character while Ribbon Girl would use her multiple (I believe it's more than three) jumps and incredibly high fast fall speed (perhaps the fastest in the game) to pressure her opponent with high mobility instead of just hitboxes, perhaps being a more punish oriented character.

They could also have a different set of ARMS to work with:
  • Spring Man's Toaster gives him more damage, but Ribbon Girl's Sparky can inflict paralysis.
  • Spring Man's Boomerang is more angleable, but Ribbon Girl's Popper is faster, with a bigger hitbox.
  • Spring Man's Tri-Bolt can set up combos, but Ribbon Girl's Slapamander has good KO power.
That sort of thing.

To add onto this, the Shoto argument assumes Street Fighter is only about Shotos. Imagine a Street Fighter game where every character has hadokens, tatsumakis, and shoryukens, and that's basically ARMS.

Meanwhile in Street Fighter, there are clear cut differences between every character that is not a shoto to a point they all control differently. Like count all of the differences between someone like Karin and Ryu's movesets, and then count how many differences Lola Pop and Spring Man have.
Just because Street Fighter has different movesets doesn't mean the shotos aren't any less similar to each other than the ARMS cast is. Even if the series's characters were all shotos that wouldn't make turning them all into alts any better.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well if you were just trying to argue that anything could happen, you'd probably be rattling that off much more frequently than when people simply tell you your very unlikely characters won't be happening, because people say "x won't happen" on basically every page.
no point in bickering a point across multiple times if i only gotta say it once. people can think what they think, it do not bother me. i just add their names to the tag list and if it happens, they're gonna be asked to apologize and maybe some SourPls. i never forget. :nifty:

Good point, it's pretty much only random 18-year-olds who would think that expression is from an anime.
it's either anime villain or a random old man sailor stranger on a dock

D

Deleted member

Just because Street Fighter has different movesets doesn't make the shotos any less similar to each other than the ARMS cast is. Even if the series's characters were all shotos that wouldn't make turning them all into alts any better.
You'd have an argument if it was just Ryu and Ken. I mean they literally started off as clones. And while they're certainly different nowadays, they share a lot of fundamentals, at least casually.

But every shoto has more than just one difference in their movesets that ultimately make them different characters. You just need to take a look at Sakura's and Akuma's movesets to see that they're more different than a single defining gimmick.

Unfortunately, Akuma has more differences from Ryu than Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min have differences from each other combined.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You'd have an argument if it was just Ryu and Ken. I mean they literally started off as clones. And while they're certainly different nowadays, they share a lot of fundamentals, at least casually.

But every shoto has more than just one difference in their movesets that ultimately make them different characters. You just need to take a look at Sakura's and Akuma's movesets to see that they're more different than a single defining gimmick.

Unfortunately, Akuma has more differences from Ryu than Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min have differences from each other combined.
Still wild how we have Turtle Guile but no Akuma AT who does the raging demon

D

Deleted member

Still wild how we have Turtle Guile but no Akuma AT who does the raging demon
An Akuma assist trophy would just be busted, Gwen. He'd use raging demon on whoever summoned him, and then he'd fly around the stage chucking double air-hadokens that do 33% damage.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I see everyone coming up with Street Fighter arguments, so I'd like to throw in a different fighting game: Mortal Kombat.

"But Cap, Scorpion and Sub Zero would never be able to have the same kit! They couldn't be alts of each other!"
Those two, yes. But even the characters were literal pallette swaps during recording, it was only in game that one got ice and the other got fire. But look at some of the other pallette swap characters like the robots or the female ninjas.

Yes, Jade would look so weird with Kitana's fans.

Or imagine Kitana using Mileena's Sai or even Jade's gear

And seriously, Cyrax/Sektor/Smoke/Cyber Sub Zero are so different, how could you ever make one character with all movesets?

Point is, we can argue all we want, but these things are not outside the realm of possibility.

D

Deleted member

Item balance has been proven fake ever since you could hit ATs but not Pokemon, it'd reflect ST Akuma too
Look I'm just saying. If I have to retry over 50 times just to take off half of Akuma's health, we're not putting him in. That's final.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
An Akuma assist trophy would just be busted, Gwen. He'd use raging demon on whoever summoned him, and then he'd fly around the stage chucking double air-hadokens that do 33% damage.
you say that like we don't already have busted assist trophies

*cough* Rathalos *cough*

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I haven't exactly memorized either character's movesets so an image of their special move inputs aren't really going to paint me a picture of how they play. Though from what research I've done Akuma, his movelist seemed to be just the same, but his fireball has utility in the air, and he has a teleport and a different super thrown in for good measure. This movelist does look a lot bigger, but I only looked at his SFII Turbo movelist since that's probably all they'd use for him.

*cough* Rathalos *cough*
*cough* Sheriff *cough* *cough*

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I haven't exactly memorized either character's movesets so an image of their special move inputs aren't really going to paint me a picture of how they play. Though from what research I've done Akuma, his movelist seemed to be just the same, but his fireball has utility in the air, and he has a teleport and a different super thrown in for good measure. This movelist does look a lot bigger, but I only looked at his SFII Turbo movelist since that's probably all they'd use for him.

*cough* Sheriff *cough* *cough*
screams in 9- and 18- Volt Spirit Battle I HAD TO GO VERY EASY MODE FOR THAT **** OKAY.

SKX31

Smash Master
screams in 9- and 18- Volt Spirit Battle I HAD TO GO VERY EASY MODE FOR THAT **** OKAY.
I know your pain all to well.

In case you ever want some revenge: Assist Killer Spirits (Upgraded OoT Zelda or Pyra* (see Edit) / ironically Sheriff itself). Also, fast and long recovering like Pikachu.

*cough* Rathalos *cough*
*Has a flashback to when Tiki pain-ted (pun fully intended) me with her Flames of Insane Angles*

*(Edit: Wrote Viridi by mistake initially - forgot that Viridi's a Metal Killer)

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don’t see why other Arms characters couldn’t kick, etc. in Smash Bros. Only a few characters have super-unique abilities in ARMS like Helix and his stretchy body, and if they do character alts. (so Spring Man as the default and Ribbon Girl as one of the alts. for example) then they can just stick to the basic attacks and abilities since the other ones are unnecessary. Only Min Min kicks in ARMS, but that doesn’t mean the other characters are physically unable to. Ribbon Girl doesn’t need three jumps. Any character can use any unlocked ARMS.

Their different personalities are good points though. Spring Man could be given more generic taunts, etc. I guess, but it would be kinda weird if he didn’t do his spring-jump victory pose and the other characters didn’t do their specific poses. The Dragon Quest heroes have their own stuff in their games too, but they seem more generic and easier to fit together. Idk, though, there’s probably something they could do that fits all of their personalities at once.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*cough* Rathalos *cough*
Thinking about it this could be a fun prompt.

Name an assist trophy you'd add to Ultimate that'd be utterly busted to play against. Like straight up, you start losing because of it, but you want it in Smash anyways.

In Alpha 3, he also gets a dodge roll and a special move where he leaps toward the opponent and can do a number of exclusive attacks in midair. (Shown in the video. It should take you to the time stamp.)

This is also ignoring unique attacks, which are different from special moves (like Ryu's donkey kick and collarbone breaker). Having a dive kick and a multi-hit karate chop are also different moves Akuma has. Akuma is so fundamentally developed and different from Ryu it's insane.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Yea, Fire Emblem is done for this game.
Though it is certainly odd that a relatively niche RPG series is so well represented compared to the juggernaut that is Donkey Kong. Literally everyone recognizes DK, but his series only has three characters.
We could EASILY have Dixie, Kranky, and Funky.
Edit: Not to mention Zelda, which has PLENTY of viable characters to choose from. Impa, Tetra, Toon Zelda, Tingle, Midna, Revali, Skull Kid....
And that's just the popular ones.
Nope, they're going to have either a Fire Emblem Heroes character in or a character from an upcoming remake FE game that will be announced in 2021. A ninth Fire Emblem character is extremely likely, Sakurai loves the series and Nintendo loves to push it.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Name an assist trophy you'd add to Ultimate that'd be utterly busted to play against. Like straight up, you start losing because of it, but you want it in Smash anyways.
Easy, Segata Sanshiro

overpowered punches and kicks, explosive throws, and of course, riding a rocket that crashes down on the stage

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Look I'm just saying. If I have to retry over 50 times just to take off half of Akuma's health, we're not putting him in. That's final.
Ok but Akuma as you described him is fair compared to the invincle Keldeo.

Seriously though why can we hit ATs and earn points from them but not Pokemon? Was TPC upset at the idea of punching a Pokemon in the face or something?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don’t see why other Arms characters couldn’t kick, etc. in Smash Bros. Only a few characters have super-unique abilities in ARMS like Helix and his stretchy body, and if they do character alts. (so Spring Man as the default and Ribbon Girl as one of the alts. for example) then they can just stick to the basic attacks and abilities since the other ones are unnecessary. Only Min Min kicks in ARMS, but that doesn’t mean the other characters are physically unable to. Ribbon Girl doesn’t need three jumps. Any character can use any unlocked ARMS.
I don't think any of the ARMS characters should have kicks in their normal attacks. It'd be like this:

"Hm. These characters' arms are as long as their bodies. I wonder what they do."
"They kick you."
"Wat?"

You may be able to get away with something like giving them PAC-MAN's Down Aerial, but other than that it wouldn't make much sense and would de-emphasize the whole stretchy ARM aspect that the character is supposed to be about. That and Spring Man kicking you makes about as much sense as Little Mac kicking you. They're boxers, not mixed martial artists.

D

Deleted member

Easy, Segata Sanshiro

overpowered punches and kicks, explosive throws, and of course, riding a rocket that crashes down on the stage
This might be a bit too overpowered of an overpowered character.

Seriously though why can we hit ATs and earn points from them but not Pokemon? Was TPC upset at the idea of punching a Pokemon in the face or something?
Obviously, it's to balance Goldeen to make sure it has a fighting chance.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Nah they're pretty chill about that. They even let you skewer 'em. Dunno why you can't do this to Poké Ball summons though.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nah they're pretty chill about that. They even let you skewer 'em. Dunno why you can't do this to Poké Ball summons though.
Some Pokeballs you could fight, some you can't. It's not a consistent thing. Though neither is Assist Trophies. Some can't be fought. Thank goodness Ghirahim(who is a bit, well... borked) can be defeated.

It's probably related to Spirit Battles too?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't think any of the ARMS characters should have kicks in their normal attacks. It'd be like this:

"Hm. These characters' arms are as long as their bodies. I wonder what they do."
"They kick you."
"Wat?"

You may be able to get away with something like giving them PAC-MAN's Down Aerial, but other than that it wouldn't make much sense and would de-emphasize the whole stretchy ARM aspect that the character is supposed to be about. That and Spring Man kicking you makes about as much sense as Little Mac kicking you. They're boxers, not mixed martial artists.
Yeah that makes sense with them being boxers; I just thought maybe some aerials might be kick attacks, and I thought I saw Min Min’s kicks being treated as a special thing before :S

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Territorial Rotbart. Gaur Plains is just incomplete without him. . .

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Pretty much any KoF boss that has a full-screen attack. Like Orochi, for instance. Make them come out frame 2 for good measure. :demon:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Point is, we can argue all we want, but these things are not outside the realm of possibility.
I forgot to respond to this earlier, but I'm not arguing that it can't be done. I'm arguing that it shouldn't be done.

Some Pokeballs you could fight, some you can't. It's not a consistent thing. Though neither is Assist Trophies. Some can't be fought. Thank goodness Ghirahim(who is a bit, well... borked) can be defeated.

It's probably related to Spirit Battles too?
Oh yeah I forgot about Wobbuffet, Pyukumuku, and Spewpa. If you can attack them it's generally because they counterattack, as opposed to the attackable Assist Trophy characters generally being ones that emulate normal fighters.

Generally...
1587242611718.png

Yeah that makes sense with them being boxers; I just thought maybe some aerials might be kick attacks, and I thought I saw Min Min’s kicks being treated as a special thing before :S
Min Min does kick, but it's tied to her movement options, and deflects hits rather than doing straight damage (EDIT: I don't believe it can even do damage). To be honest, I consider her Dragon ARM to be more central to her playstyle.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"They kick you."
"Wat?"
Would it shock you if I told you that does makes sense?

Kicks in a standard fight are good because your legs are longer than your arms. So you can use a straight kick to keep distance for someone rushing you down. In a fight that's past normal arms length (like your opponent can easily uppercut or right hook you), your longer attacks wont connect as easily or have as much power. This is because those attacks are designed to hit at a distance, like Byleth's forward smash having a tipper. They also have more windup so in a trade against a faster attack, you'll be beat out if distance isn't an issue. For example, try throwing a roundhouse kick at someone's waist while they're doing a full punch combo at your head. Your opponent's gonna get more moves off while doing more damage. In any fight between two normal humans that's within arm's reach, your legs wont help as much for attacking unless you're throwing or using your knee. Therefore, if someone's within arm's reach, you either wanna make distance or use your own faster and shorter attacks and win that neutral.

In an ARMS character's case, a simple straight kick would be faster than their usual jab. For someone like Spring Man, the utility of their limbs are a bit switched. Their punches are their longer attacks while a kick from Min Min would be shorter, but faster. So for example, Spring Man can do a basic straight kick to someone like Little Mac. If he kicks right, he could push his opponent away knocking them off balance, which is something Spring-Man would want to do to gain distance. In a fighter's game sense, a kick for an Arms character would have less wind-up lag than their big punch. In a general sense, an Arms character's kick would be a normal human's jab.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Would it shock you if I told you that does makes sense?

Kicks in a standard fight are good because your legs are longer than your arms. So you can use a straight kick to keep distance for someone rushing you down. In a fight that's past normal arms length (like your opponent can easily uppercut or right hook you), your longer attacks wont connect as easily or have as much power. This is because those attacks are designed to hit at a distance, like Byleth's forward smash having a tipper. For example, try throwing a roundhouse kick at someone's waste while they're doing a full punch combo at your head. Your opponent's gonna get more moves off while doing more damage. In any fight between two normal humans that's within arm's reach, your legs wont help as much for attacking unless you're throwing or using your knee. Therefore, if someone's within arm's reach, you either wanna make distance or use your own faster and shorter attacks and win that neutral.

In an ARMS character's case, a simple straight kick would be faster than their usual jab. For someone like Spring Man, the utility of their limbs are a bit switched. Their punches are their longer attacks while a kick from Min Min would be shorter, but faster. So for example, Spring Man can do a basic straight kick to someone like Little Mac. If he kicks right, he could push his opponent away knocking them off balance, which is something Spring-Man would want to do to gain distance. In a fighter's game sense, a kick for an Arms character would have less wind-up lag than their big punch. In a general sense, an Arms character's kick would be a normal human's jab.
This doesn't change the fact that everything about this character's design screams "THIS CHARACTER PUNCHES YOU!!!" so having one of their basic attacks be a kick would make very little sense, and their arms would likely get in the way of the animation as well. Min Min gets away with her kicks because her design invokes Chinese martial artists, so her little flip kicks make a bit more sense in that context. That and they aren't used as an attack unless she has successfully grappled her opponent. Ninjara's ninja motif and Ribbon Girl's jumping ability may give them a bit of leeway as well, but Spring Man is all boxer there is no reason for him to be kicking. If you wanted to give him a quick jab, a short punch would make tons more sense.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Nope, they're going to have either a Fire Emblem Heroes character in or a character from an upcoming remake FE game that will be announced in 2021. A ninth Fire Emblem character is extremely likely, Sakurai loves the series and Nintendo loves to push it.
I don't know if they would do that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai also has gone on record saying he feels there's too many FE characters. He wouldn't "love" to add the character. Nintendo however is in control, so he can't simply say no either. He didn't actually personally pick Byleth either. He however does seem like he enjoyed the idea of the three weapon stuff, something truly new again, which I can't blame him for.

If another FE character happens, it happens. It doesn't really matter what Sakurai's opinion of that is. It's hardly impossible, but there is no "it will happen". One thing is a guaranteed Pokemon, and that's due to base game specifically holding a slot for one because it's a giant franchise. Another is DLC situations.

D

Deleted member

This doesn't change the fact that everything about this character's design screams "THIS CHARACTER PUNCHES YOU!!!" so having one of their basic attacks be a kick would make very little sense, and their arms would likely get in the way of the animation as well. Min Min gets away with her kicks because her design invokes Chinese martial artists, so her little flip kicks make a bit more sense in that context. That and they aren't used as an attack unless she has successfully grappled her opponent. Ninjara's ninja motif and Ribbon Girl's jumping ability may give them a bit of leeway as well, but Spring Man is all boxer there is no reason for him to be kicking. If you wanted to give him a quick jab, a short punch would make tons more sense.
IDK. I typed out a logical in-depth analysis for why real life fighters kick or why your longer limbs wouldn't be practical in close-quarters combat, but we're gonna ignore that because Spring Man looks like he wont kick? Anybody can kick. Even our thicc lord and savior K. Rool can kick, and his legs are about as big as his arms. Maybe even shorter. He's never kicked once in his entire career, and his only hand-to-hand fighting appearance in video games was when he was a boxer. But that wont stop him from pushing his weight forward outside the ring.

I'm not even asking for Spring Man to do like martial arts flips and ninja tactics. I'm saying he can do the most basic kicks anybody can learn in a week from Muay Thai videos on the internet. He's shown to be acrobatic so he can move that body however he sees fit (like when he does a flip and hand stand after his AT timer runs out). It wouldn't even look odd with his long arms, especially given how other ARMs characters can in fact use their legs

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
You could make the same argument regarding swordies who kick people in at least one move, like Link, Hero, Byleth, ect.
Their appearance implies that they want to slash you with their swords or other weapons, yet, they still kick because they have legs and it makes sense to use them to kick people out of their personal space in the middle of a close quarters fight.

Inkling also kicks people to death and nobody seems to mention that for some reason. They have a close quarters style that’s flashy and fits their personality well, but they still carry a gun as their main weapon.

For the record, I do think it might look a bit funny for everyone to have Min Min’s graceful kicks; I think a composite rep’s kicks would look more like Link’s or something.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman

Zeke and Pandoria using Eye of Shining Justice: his arts would kill so fast, it's not even funny. But it would make sense, he was waiting for 3 whole days already to be summoned ;)

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Something I was just thinking about. I don't think they've done something like this before....

but if they wanted to create a hero type character for the Arms rep. Wouldn't it be possible to give the Arms rep a cutscene type final smash (like Captain Falcon or Joker)....and then give each alt a different final smash animation? They would effectively have the same final smash (with the same attributes) but the final smash animation would be different for each alt.

So for testing purposes they'd be the same character even though they have a final smash that appears different.

As far as I know, echoes are only echoes because they have different attributes from their original counterpart. (although slight)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Territorial Rotbart. Gaur Plains is just incomplete without him. . .
Man that'd be a better stage hazard than Metal Face. Or maybe not, idk. Haven't played XC 1 yet.

Zeke and Pandoria using Eye of Shining Justice: his arts would kill so fast, it's not even funny. But it would make sense, he was waiting for 3 whole days already to be summoned ;)
Zeke would be an overpowered assist trophy because he'd also summon Turturs as an ally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom