• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Man that'd be a better stage hazard than Metal Face. Or maybe not, idk. Haven't played XC 1 yet.

Zeke would be an overpowered assist trophy because he'd also summon Turturs as an ally.
HANDLING A MAN'S TURTLE!
instant KO

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
IDK. I typed out a logical in-depth analysis for why real life fighters kick or why your longer limps wouldn't be practical in close-quarters combat, but we're gonna ignore that because he looks like he wont kick? Anybody can kick. Even our thicc lord and savior K. Rool can kick, and his legs are about as big as his arms. Maybe even shorter.
It's a character design thing. In the Street Fighter series, Chun-Li and Juri are known for doing a lot of kicks. This reflects their character design by having "dem thighs" and really baggy pants respectively (or a skin tight bodysuit 'cuz fanservice, but I think that's a weaker design and they probably only get away with it because of her posture). It draws your attention to the character's legs because that's where the the biggest threat comes from.

King K. Rool's design draws your attention right to his gut. Keeping that in mind, he was given a unique super armour system revolving around it, a few attacks where he hits you with it, and a counter literally called Gut Check.

The ARMS characters all have designs that overwhelmingly try and get you to pay attention to their ARMS. They're the entire length of their bodies, they're brightly colored, and they have brightly colored weapons attached at the end. Their ARMS and their ARMS are going to be the first thing you notice about them (why did they name literally everything "ARM"?). Having their go-to short ranged attack be a kick is going to seem random, and goes against what their character designs are trying to convey. That's why I say a short ranged punch would be much more appropriate.

Man that'd be a better stage hazard than Metal Face. Or maybe not, idk. Haven't played XC 1 yet.
It's a giant monkey ape thing that is the reason why if you are in Gaur Plains, hear "You Will Know Our Names", and don't know why, you're gonna die. It also started the trend of having end-game Unique Monsters/Tyrants in starter areas.

EDIT: From what I remember, Xenoblade Chronicles handled this idea the best because they didn't give you objectives so close to their path (like Phog's Affinity Mission) nor did they give a kill quest for one of them in the early game was that really necessary Xenoblade Chronicles 2!?!

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If you say so.
Ok yeah that's a fanservicey camera angle, but it's not an angle either you, or more impotantly, the opponent ever see. In most angles, her ARMS are what attracts your eyes the most (in this case, her ARMS are her hair, not her arms). Her legs are quite long though and are probably the second thing you notice when you see her character art. She also seems to emphasize this with her posture, so I think it wouldn't be too weird to see her kick provided it would make sense for her personality.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Did the Hero trailer always have their voices?
Why do I remember them being silent in their reveal
huh, interesting... maybe they uploaded an updated version? i too remember the heroes not talking

why add JUST the voices tho

D

Deleted member

Ok yeah that's a fanservicey camera angle, but it's not an angle either you, or more impotantly, the opponent ever see. In most angles, her ARMS are what attracts your eyes the most (in this case, her ARMS are her hair, not her arms). Her legs are quite long though and are probably the second thing you notice when you see her character art. She also seems to emphasize this with her posture, so I think it wouldn't be too weird to see her kick provided it would make sense for her personality.
Look you're making exceptions as we go along. You point out K. Rool's gut and how he revolves around it, but his entire moveset isn't based around his stomach. Chun-Li and Juri also punch despite predominantly being leg fighters.

Now you're arguing Twintelle can kick but Spring Man can't? Is he just that incapable of using his legs? Is Spring Man's personality so nonexistent that his only character quirk is that he punches?

Mate anybody who can walk can kick someone. It's not some psychological study over would this character kick. Cloud :ultcloud: kicks people in his neutral attacks and grabs, and he's also holding a two-handed broadsword that's larger than he is. Mother-****ing Spring Man kicking people is not the line in the sand.

This is becoming ridiculous. There seems to be an exception with everybody else but Spring Man. When your points start becoming this inconsistent, idk what to say to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I looked into it, but I couldn't find a version of the trailer without the voices. Well, except for this one, but all the audio was cut for that one. I guess it always did have the voices, but I remember them being silent too. Weird.

They totally would
I highly doubt they will though. It's unlikely that another main series game will come out next year (even a remake sounds unlikely), the Fire Emblem Heroes doesn't exactly need a huge publicity stunt like that, and they know it will have severe backlash. There's really nothing to gain there.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai also has gone on record saying he feels there's too many FE characters. He wouldn't "love" to add the character. Nintendo however is in control, so he can't simply say no either. He didn't actually personally pick Byleth either. He however does seem like he enjoyed the idea of the three weapon stuff, something truly new again, which I can't blame him for.

If another FE character happens, it happens. It doesn't really matter what Sakurai's opinion of that is. It's hardly impossible, but there is no "it will happen". One thing is a guaranteed Pokemon, and that's due to base game specifically holding a slot for one because it's a giant franchise. Another is DLC situations.
That three weapon gimmick of Byleth isn't new, Link's been doing that with his bow, boomerang, bombs, and hookshot.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I highly doubt they will though. It's unlikely that another main series game will come out next year (even a remake sounds unlikely), the Fire Emblem Heroes doesn't exactly need a huge publicity stunt like that, and they know it will have severe backlash. There's really nothing to gain there.
They don't care about that at all, this is the same people who decided that Byleth should be the last character to be added to Smash Bros Ultimate. Backlash does matter to them at all, you saw how proud Sakurai was when putting that Byleth poster up and wasted people time explaining what Fire Emblem is. They would announce a Remake in 2021 which will release in 2022, then a couple months later announce that FE character will be in Smash Bros so people can experience him and be excited for the Remake. And if it's FEH they'll that it should be in due to it's incredible success and would be the mobile character added to Smash Bros.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even though Nintendo clearly doesn't care about backlash (and don't tell me they didn't know. Sakurai himself felt the need to lower expectations in Byleth's presentation, so I'm a sure a word or two was said when they suggested a 3H character to him), Byleth was clearly Ultimate's version of Corrin; new game, new character, add said character as DLC.

Anything can happen, but I doubt they'll add another FE character without a new game to tie in with it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Look you're making exceptions as we go along. You point out K. Rool's gut and how he revolves around it, but his entire moveset isn't based around his stomach.

Chun-Li and Juri also punch despite predominantly being leg fighters. Now you're arguing Twintelle can kick but Spring Man can't? Is he just that incapable of using his legs? Is Spring Man's personality so nonexistent that his only character quirk is that he punches?

Mate anybody who can walk can kick someone. It's not some psychological study over would this character kick. Cloud :ultcloud: kicks people in his neutral attacks and grabs, and he's also holding a two-handed broadsword that's larger than he is. Mother-****ing Spring Man kicking people is not the line in the sand.

This is becoming ridiculous. There seems to be an exception with everybody else but not Spring Man. When your points start becoming this inconsistent, idk what to say to you.
Most of my shpeal was about the four main ARMS characters that we always talk about. The design focuses that they have aren't quite as applicable to characters like Twintelle or Mechanica because they prioritize them slightly less in order to convey personality and/or background, and/or their personal mechanics.

Spring Man leans hard into the design focuses I mentioned, and his design is heavily inspired by boxing, where kicking is not allowed. Hence why Little Mac doesn't kick either.

At the very minimum, a kick attack for the first ARMS character should not be useful unless it's like a pummel or throw or something because the emphasis should be on the ARMS.

They would announce a Remake in 2021 which will release in 2022, then a couple months later announce that FE character will be in Smash Bros so people can experience him and be excited for the Remake.
I know Nintendo can be tone deaf, but I don't think they'd be so bone headed as to be like "hey! Here's a character you don't want! Get hyped for a remake of a game you're not nostalgic for, didn't ask for, and is not far enough in development for us to show you anything more than a teaser for!"

And if it's FEH they'll that it should be in due to it's incredible success and would be the mobile character added to Smash Bros.
As hilarious as it would be to have a character with a pistol looking thing that shoots people as ammunition, I don't think they'll do this either. First of all, they know people don't play the game for its original characters. Secondly, if you're in Super Smash Bros. you probably have a decently large role in whatever plot that game has and thus represent the game anyway.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Eh, I don't know about that tbh.
Every FE character save for Marth got in when they were bright, shiny, and new. There's no point in double-dipping for 3H since this is DLC bundles with stages, music, and Spirits.

The next options are Fates, Echoes, and Heroes. Fates is almost five years old, and while it lacks a stage and a variety of music, I see no point in revisiting it now of all times. Echoes is a three year-old remake that had okay sales; not sensing any urgency to promote it. Heroes is a gacha mobile game, and while some people put a lot of stock in getting mobile reps, 3H should've been enough promotion for Heroes. I doubt they'll feel the need to promote Heroes specifically.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I would say there’s a remarkably low chance of a Fire Emblem character.

But that’s just, like, my opinion man.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would say there’s a remarkably low chance of a Fire Emblem character.

But that’s just, like, my opinion man.
Damn Jones. Your avatar even looks like a grungier version of the dude, so I read it in his voice.

Every FE character save for Marth got in when they were bright, shiny, and new. There's no point in double-dipping for 3H since this is DLC bundles with stages, music, and Spirits.

The next options are Fates, Echoes, and Heroes. Fates is almost five years old, and while it lacks a stage and a variety of music, I see no point in revisiting it now of all times. Echoes is a three year-old remake that had okay sales; not sensing any urgency to promote it. Heroes is a gacha mobile game, and while some people put a lot of stock in getting mobile reps, 3H should've been enough promotion for Heroes. I doubt they'll feel the need to promote Heroes specifically.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. A new mainline FE game is gonna take time to be released (4 year gap between Fates and TH) and Nintendo is still riding off of the Three Houses money train. Expecting a new FE character because it's the worst case scenario for some people just comes across as a backhanded insult to the series than actual speculation.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I mean if I really wanted to speculate HARD for yet another Fire Emblem character, since no mainline game is reasonably coming up due to development time they’d have to remake an old game.

And if they announced a remake of 4 and 5 for the switch that does similar for them as echoes is to 2?

Then yeah, you could conceivably throw in a rep from 4 to 5.

Or Heroes if you really want to make the mobile claim, but I don’t see it.

Or Anna, because they decided to leave it up to the dev team that got us Corrin again, and now they’re just trolling and it’s kind of hilarious.

Honestly, wouldn’t be mad at any of these fates, but still 99.9% sure they aren’t happening.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It’s quite difficult to narrow down who is “most likely”. But I don’t think it’s accurate to say, “AnYtHiNg CaN hApPen1!” or that anything in particular is “going to happen”.

It’s quite interesting that something happens that wasn’t entirely expected, and suddenly nothing matters. I don’t necessarily think that’s true, but eh...to each their own.

There are very few ways they could disappoint me. But simply put, we don’t really have enough information to make a hard call on the last 5 characters.

Still think pick 1 is Spring Man. Not as confident in the “Hero” situation, but I absolutely do NOT think it should be ruled out.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Some more fighter packs because I got bored again. Arc System Works makes some cool games so I looked into making fighter packs for three games they worked on.

Do yourselves a favor and listen to Guilty Gear's songs.
(:

Honestly though, Goku's not a character I need to see in Smash because Fighterz is already giving out so much fanservice. Seeing Dragon Ball in Smash would probably feel underwhelming when compared to the game solely created to provide as much fanservice as possible. But still I would love to be in the universe where everyone loses their minds over Goku in Smash.
Didn't really want to plan out their classic modes since they would have all shared the same theme (fight other characters in their series in order of importance).

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Expecting a new FE character because it's the worst case scenario for some people just comes across as a backhanded insult to the series than actual speculation.
It comes across that way because that's exactly what it is and people will feel the need to remind others of that day in, day out. It's actually sad yet hilarious how FE is the boogeyman to some people.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
It’s quite difficult to narrow down who is “most likely”. But I don’t think it’s accurate to say, “AnYtHiNg CaN hApPen1!” or that anything in particular is “going to happen”.

It’s quite interesting that something happens that wasn’t entirely expected, and suddenly nothing matters. I don’t necessarily think that’s true, but eh...to each their own.

There are very few ways they could disappoint me. But simply put, we don’t really have enough information to make a hard call on the last 5 characters.

Still think pick 1 is Spring Man. Not as confident in the “Hero” situation, but I absolutely do NOT think it should be ruled out.
I think the most likely characters are Spring Man, Crash, Doom Slayer, Rex & Pyra, Geno, and Heihachi.
Yes, that's pretty much my exact wishlist (only replace Geno with Shovel Knight), but I always call my lists "predicshlists" for a reason, as I try to keep my picks grounded.
But I might as well give my reasoning for each:

Spring Man - ARMS is confirmed as FP6, and Spring Man is by far the most likely pick from Nintendo.

Crash - During the development of Fighter's Pass Volume 1, Crash had the loudest fan demand, and I think Sakurai heard us loud and clear.

Doom Slayer - Same as Crash, but definitely second place. Sakurai has also name dropped John Carmack during interviews, and Doom is definitely the most important FPS game in gaming history. Master Chief may be the most popular, but Doom Slayer is to FPSs what Mario is to platformers, or games that don't repeat a few screens over and over where you just go for a high score in general.

Rex & Pyra - Should be obvious, but Sakurai outright said that Rex was his next pick for a character, and now that Pass 2 allows for post-2015 content, Rex & Pyra have their fair chance.

Geno - The lack of a Geno costume, as well as the still up-in-the-air Cacomallow leak, is simply too conspicuous to ignore. I included Geno in my list of Individual DLC characters outside of the Fighter's Pass, but Geno could easily come with a stage, music, and spirits.

Heihachi - Sakurai said during Smash 4's post-DLC cycle that he considered Heihachi but couldn't come up with a good moveset quickly enough. Now that we have Terry, Heihachi feels like a glaring omission. Also, Terry laid the precedent of "back-specials".

Last edited:

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Some more fighter packs because I got bored again. Arc System Works makes some cool games so I looked into making fighter packs for three games they worked on.

(:

Honestly though, Goku's not a character I need to see in Smash because Fighterz is already giving out so much fanservice. Seeing Dragon Ball in Smash would probably feel underwhelming when compared to the game solely created to provide as much fanservice as possible. But still I would love to be in the universe where everyone loses their minds over Goku in Smash.
Didn't really want to plan out their classic modes since they would have all shared the same theme (fight other characters in their series in order of importance).
Out of all these I would definitely pick Sol over Ragna since he's a bit more relevant now thanks to Strive, Also his stage should have the KOF stage gimmick where you can send foes through the walls, except it actually changes the background of the stage like in Strive.

As much as I would love him in Smash,I don't think the internet will ever be prepared for the amount of salt/hype Goku would bring. People will be talking about that **** for decades,

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Crash - During the development of Fighter's Pass Volume 1, Crash had the loudest fan demand, and I think Sakurai heard us loud and clear.
This is why I don't feel so sure about Crash. Ridley/K.Rool/Banjo were popular for a long time, and the ballot was a definite way to tell Nintendo they were wanted. Crash, on the other hand, didn't get really big in the Smash community until after Joker's reveal. They might not even know how much the people here want him! If we're going to get a fan favorite, it'll be one that was around in the ballot era or earlier, like Waluigi, Geno, or Shovel Knight

Goombaic

Smash Ace
his stage should have the KOF stage gimmick where you can send foes through the walls, except it actually changes the background of the stage like in Strive.
That's a much better idea. It would be especially great if the starting background depended on the current soundtrack much like how certain characters will always appear in the KoF stage depending on the track being played.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I think about this image MattGFX made every time I hear people say they want Springman in because it would open up the door for AT upgrades.
official fighter pass 2.jpg

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Out of all these I would definitely pick Sol over Ragna since he's a bit more relevant now thanks to Strive, Also his stage should have the KOF stage gimmick where you can send foes through the walls, except it actually changes the background of the stage like in Strive.
I wonder how that would work. Would the stage expand that way when it happened? Would it cause the stage to start scrolling in that direction? Would you be able to lose a stock off the sides?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think the most likely characters are Spring Man, Crash, Doom Slayer, Rex & Pyra, Geno, and Heihachi.
Yes, that's pretty much my exact wishlist (only replace Geno with Shovel Knight), but I always call my lists "predicshlists" for a reason, as I try to keep my picks grounded.
But I might as well give my reasoning for each:

Spring Man - ARMS is confirmed as FP6, and Spring Man is by far the most likely pick from Nintendo.

Doom Slayer - Same as Crash, but definitely second place. Sakurai has also name dropped John Carmack during interviews, and Doom is definitely the most important FPS game in gaming history. Master Chief may be the most popular, but Doom Slayer is to FPSs what Mario is to platformers, or games that don't repeat a few screens over and over where you just go for a high score in general.

Rex & Pyra - Should be obvious, but Sakurai outright said that Rex was his next pick for a character, and now that Pass 2 allows for post-2015 content, Rex & Pyra have their fair chance.

Geno - The lack of a Geno costume, as well as the still up-in-the-air Cacomallow leak, is simply too conspicuous to ignore. I included Geno in my list of Individual DLC characters outside of the Fighter's Pass, but Geno could easily come with a stage, music, and spirits.

Heihachi - Sakurai said during Smash 4's post-DLC cycle that he considered Heihachi but couldn't come up with a good moveset quickly enough. Now that we have Terry, Heihachi feels like a glaring omission. Also, Terry laid the precedent of "back-specials".
About Doom slayer, Bethesda pretty much openly said that they wanted him in but discussion with Nintendo lead nowhere. https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/...r-wants-doom-slayer-in-smash-nintendo-doesnt/

This interview date from January 2020, so way after fighter pass 2 was chose. I could still se Doom slayer as a Mii costume becasue I think (although we don't really know officially, I'm just speculating), that Mii costume are decided later into development.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

(:

Will Goku come with a Vegeta Echo Fighter?

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I said this in another thread but I should bring it up here. Fighters with mutiple characters as alts is very rare. Only 3 fighters in the entire roster do this. Bowser Jr, Olimar, and Hero.

Remember that these alts don't just have the same attacks. They have the same run, jump, stance, dodge, etc.

I need to point out that every fighter in ARMS animates differently. Ninjara stands like a ninja, he walks like a ninja, he jumps like a ninja. Seeing Ninjara move around like a normal boxer would be weird. Every fighter is packed with personality and lively body language. Stripping that away would be a bad move. Sakurai loves attention to detail and animating these fighters with great expression. I don't think he'd strip down all these unique characters to the bare minimum. He'd only do that for special situations.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
huh, interesting... maybe they uploaded an updated version? i too remember the heroes not talking

why add JUST the voices tho

This is the Mandela Effect. It's a phenomenon where people tend to think that something happened when in reality it actually didn't happen. It's really fascinating because it tends to happen to groups of people. Though at least in my experience, I do remember them having their voices.

D

Deleted member

This is the Mandela Effect. It's a phenomenon where people tend to think that something happened when in reality it actually didn't happen. It's really fascinating because it tends to happen to groups of people. Though at least in my experience, I do remember them having their voices.
Yeah Hero was voiced on his release trailer. I remember specifically Erdrick's shout at the end of his final smash, because gigaslash with all of the protagonists was just that memorable to me. That, and I watched the trailer at least 15 times last E3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom