• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I doubt it was licensing in Elec Man's case, like Elec Man's still in the game as a spirit and stuff. Rather I assume it was priority, especially when we got two other Mega Man assists with Wily and Zero
I assume they cut Elec Man because Dr. Wily and Zero are more important to the series.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I've been studying a lot of Assist Trophies in Training Mode today, especially Spring Man.
I've come to the realization that these Assist Trophies are VERY in-depth. Like, they are so ****ing close to playable characters that I wouldn't be surprised if the hacking community could make them all semi-playable. Or at least the ones you could imagine playing.
From my research, they have walk speeds, run speeds, certain attacks (obviously), DODGES, animations for being grabbed and thrown, and taunts.
I've even noted what the inputs for these characters might be to use their attacks.
Waluigi appears to use a Down-Smash stomp and a Forward-Smash tennis racket.
Knuckles appears to use a Neutral-B Homing Attack, two jabs + Up-Tilt combo, and a Down-B dig attack.
Zero is very in-depth using what appears to be a jab combo, Up-B flame attack (too lazy to look up the names, but they're real moves from X3 and X4), a Back-Aerial air dash, a spinning Neutral-Aerial, a forward tilt sword slash, and a Forward-Smash slash that produces a blue projectile.

I could go on, but it's as if Sakurai and the team flat-out intended to make Assist Trophies in near-playable condition just in case they wanted to upgrade them in the future with less hassle than a brand new character.

I guess we'll see in June if it's Spring Man. If it's anyone else, then consider Assist Trophies DOA. But if Spring Man is built upon the skeleton of his current Assist Trophy, then keep an eye out for more.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
With all this Assist Trophy discussion, and me having most of my wanted characters stuck under that glass dome, you'd think I'd have a strong opinion.

I don't. I saw talk about how Advance Wars is hardcore snubbed and I need to add my voice. Ffs Sakurai we couldn't get one song? That soundtrack rules!

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Maybe one day there won't be any difference between assist trophy and playable... every character in the roster is both, and when assist trophy, it has a couple of exclusive moves that doesn't have when playable (such as DK throws barrles like in the arcade game). When a character is used by a player/cpu, it can't appear as an assist.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I just hope Nintendo ends Fighter's Pass Volume 2 with a Crash rather than what they did last time by doing just enough to get By.....leth. :p

Last edited:
So i decided to try and educate myself a little about ARMS since i never played the game, got a lot of extra time right now for some reason. Just wanted to share some thoughts/guesses on which mechanics from the game are likely to get in Smash in some shape or form* :

Homing punches. All the standard attacks in ARMS seem to work like that so it would make sense. It could be part of a special move (like Sonic or Palu autoreticle). Alternatively, maybe many or all of the character's attacks will automatically curve towards the opponent.

The super meter. Pretty self explanatory. Fill the meter and...

(the meter in ARMS fills up when you hit your opponent so it could easily be the same thing in Smash).

Various types of Arms. They could do it the 'Byleth way' (by using specific Arms for specific moves), they could also do it the 'Shulk way' and go crazy with a system to switch Arms mid-battle. The craziest way they could do it imo would be the '8 different characters as alts' idea but each of them would have his/her own pair of arms, not likely but still, it'd be insanely hype. In any case, this could easily be the best part of the moveset.

Other possibilities: Auto turn around (like the Ryu, Ken and Terry), tether grab, tether recovery , items, attack attributes.

Like i said, it's just some thoughts and guesses based on the limited knowledge i have so far, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong about something.

*Maybe some or all of this has been discussed a lot already idk, i haven't read the whole thread...

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
What if the ARMS rep turns out to be Springtron? Would it technically make him a promoted character?

Krankees

Smash Ace
So i decided to try and educate myself a little about ARMS since i never played the game, got a lot of extra time right now for some reason. Just wanted to share some thoughts/guesses on which mechanics from the game are likely to get in Smash in some shape or form* :

Homing punches. All the standard attacks in ARMS seem to work like that so it would make sense. It could be part of a special move (like Sonic or Palu autoreticle). Alternatively, maybe many or all of the character's attacks will automatically curve towards the opponent.

A super meter. Pretty self explanatory. Fill the meter and...

(the meter in ARMS fills up when you hit your opponent so it could easily be the same thing in Smash).

A tether grab and/or command grab. Fighters in ARMS can do it, it's already a thing in Smash so yeah.. this one is pretty likely to happen i think.

Various types of Arms. They could do it the 'Byleth way' (by using specific Arms for specific moves), they could also do it the 'Shulk way' and go crazy with a system to switch Arms mid-battle. The craziest way they could do it imo would be the '8 different characters as alts' idea but each of them would have his/her own pair of arms, not likely but still, it'd be insanely hype. In any case, this could easily be the best part of the moveset.

Other possibilities: Auto turn around (like the Ryu, Ken and Terry), tether recovery, items, attack attributes.

Like i said, it's just some thoughts and guesses based on the limited knowledge i have so far, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong about something.

*Maybe some or all of this has been discussed a lot already idk, i haven't read the whole thread...
I'm not sure about the auto turn around since as far as I know, none of the ARMS characters have any command inputs other than the basic smash ones that would warrant the need for it. Plus while it's true ARMS characters don't turn around to face away from an opponent during a match, I would still say that an auto turn around wouldn't fit because they are able to move around in all directions both on the ground and in the air giving them good mobility.

Sorry about ranting so much, I just wanted to put my two cents in.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
So I asked this yesterday but has there been any new rumours about the game at all?

Very curious. Plus lockdown is making me hungry for rumours now.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So I asked this yesterday but has there been any new rumours about the game at all?

No leaks or rumours. Everything is boring right now.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Not really, rumours kinda went into a standstill after Byleth and especially ARMS came along I suppose.
I guess a lot of rumour goers probably gave up at this point...

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

If you're an Mortal Kombat fan there's an possibility of Kombat Pack 2 being announced. That should help the wait until June (Assuming no delay occurs).

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
As with stages, I'm a little baffled to why every AT isn't here.
It's just more work to have every Assist Trophy in the game and Ultimate already seems to have really been pushing a deadline about as hard as it possibly could have upon release, so I just imagine time ran out for the remaining Assist Trophies that would have made sense like say Saki from Sin and Punishment.

Stages are a little more complicated in that they removed a lot of the ones that were either "seemingly redundant" (Planet Zebes, Sector Z, Flat Zone 1 and 2, Pictochat 1, and Mute City it seems), stages that relied more heavily on assets from other games (Poke Floats and Rainbow Road), and those that don't work with the universal mechanics of Ultimate's Stage list (Orbital Gate Assault and Wooly World are intensive and probably can't handle 8 player Smash; Jungle Hijinx, Icicle Mountain, and Ramble Falls all probably didn't play well with Stage Morph; Pac-Maze's gimmick didn't translate to a one screen experience; Miiverse doesn't exist anymore; and Pyrosphere got cut because we got Ridley).

I don't necessarily agree with all the stage cuts we had across the series, I would have absolutely adored a "Everywhere is Here!" banner as well that emphasized bringing back all the stages in HD, and some of the cuts are maddening, but I think it's fairly straightforward to follow the logic of why these stages got cut.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just 7-8 weeks/50 or 57 days to go...Assuming there's no delay that is.

Look at the bright side though. We might get Kombat Pack 2 for Mortal Kombat 11 next week.
I only follow MK for the lore.

Also, my summer classes begin on June so...I may get the chance to see it!!!

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Pyrosphere got cut because we got Ridley
Considering we have :ultchrom: and :ultsamus: as fighters and the Final Smashes for :ultrobin: and :ultzss: still use the fighters in question whether or not they're in the battle, I don't believe that's the reason it got cut. Otherwise that would just help prove that Assist Trophies can't be promoted.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Considering we have :ultchrom: and :ultsamus: as fighters and the Final Smashes for :ultrobin: and :ultzss: still use the fighters in question whether or not they're in the battle, I don't believe that's the reason it got cut. Otherwise that would just help prove that Assist Trophies can't be promoted.
Besides isn't it clear the Ridley on that stage is the clone of the original?

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Y'all gonna lynch me for this but

If FE4 gets a remake, I'd unironically want Sigurd to get in as a mounted FE rep. Maybe we'd finally get a true swordie-superheavy?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Do we REALLY want to be reminded of that ugly ass model which awkardly bends his face and is submissive as **** while looking worse than when Ridley was a stage hazard of a 3ds fighting game?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

If FE4 gets a remake, I'd unironically want Sigurd to get in as a mounted FE rep. Maybe we'd finally get a true swordie-superheavy?
Honestly, it probably wouldn't happen, but man I'd love it if Arvis were playable. Fire Emblem would finally have a playable antagonist and he stands out so well visually from the current cast.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly, it probably wouldn't happen, but man I'd love it if Arvis were playable. Fire Emblem would finally have a playable antagonist and he stands out so well visually from the current cast.
Man Arvis would be one hell of a ************ to see in Smash, and the best part is that FE fans can give him sooo much **** that non FE fans aren't aware of

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

I would give my first born for a Genealogy remake that expanded the characters while tightening the gameplay, so getting the best Fire Emblem character as our first mounted character would be great.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm really hoping that Eggman makes it into Smash, it's my only request of life.
Dr. Eggman is such a underrated Smash request. Literally he would be a mach fighter which we really don't have yet unless you count Bowser Jr. which I really don't. Jr. runs around in the Clown Car which is a vehicle with weapons and gadgets. Kind of like a mach but not really. Eggman would bring new life into the roster with his mach fighting style.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
All ARMS except the Roaster do have a very slight homing effect (slight enough for me to not notice it), but considering how broken it would be if most or all of the character's normals were long ranged and homing, I think they'll leave the homing ability to the Homie and Seekie ARMS as one of the special moves.

Right now there's actually a super legit rumor about Microsoft buying Sega.
I hope that's not a thing for two reasons:
  1. We all know what happened to Rare Ware's IPs when they were bought by Microsoft.
  2. This complicates Sonic content in Super Smash Bros. Granted we have Banjo & Kazooie, so it's not impossible, but I'd imagine having to work with Microsoft instead of just Sega would still end up complicating things.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'd also be concerned about Bayonetta with Microsoft buyout. She's basically an honorary Nintendo character now and I'd worry this would jeopardize that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
All ARMS except the Roaster do have a very slight homing effect (slight enough for me to not notice it), but considering how broken it would be if most or all of the character's normals were long ranged and homing, I think they'll leave the homing ability to the Homie and Seekie ARMS as one of the special moves.

1. We all know what happened to Rare Ware's IPs when they were bought by Microsoft.
  2. This complicates Sonic content in Super Smash Bros. Granted we have Banjo & Kazooie, so it's not impossible, but I'd imagine having to work with Microsoft instead of just Sega would still end up complicating things.
That and Rare was a Western company much like Microsoft. Sega is a Japanese company and I guess their laws stipulate that a Western company can’t buy them out. It’s also why Nintendo can never be acquired by Disney. I found this out not too long ago.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
You do realize an supposed ARMS 2 could be set years or decades after right? Also plenty of people gets who gets married are years apart in terms of age. My dad alone is a years older then my mom by at least 5+ years. Why is that an argument to begin with?
It's making a HUGE assumption that an ARMS 2, which we don't even know for sure is in production or not, is going to have a sequel set far in the future. It took like 6 canon games for Fatal Fury to get to Garou and even Tekken only time skipped after the third game.

Could it happen? Yeah. But it also could not. I can easily say the next Mario Platformer will get Wario as the main antagonist again, and bring back the Super Ball as a huge nostalgia bait for the Gameboy titles. Doesn't mean **** without any proof.

Hell, even attempting it with Alex, Ryu's still the main protagonist of Street Fighter and face of that franchise.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Do we REALLY want to be reminded of that ugly ass model which awkardly bends his face and is submissive as **** while looking worse than when Ridley was a stage hazard of a 3ds fighting game?
1586958472353.png
There's probably a good reason why they put off actually showing him until the last minute.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

A hypothetical Microsoft buyout would also complicate Bayonetta and Persona's content in Smash, as those franchises are also owned by Sega.

That being said, Microsoft is generally willing to play nice with Nintendo and Sony when it benefits them (Minecraft getting on other platforms, Banjo in Smash, etc.). As such, while it might make negotiations more difficult for the attorneys, I doubt it will impact Smash all that much.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That and Rare was a Western company much like Microsoft. Sega is a Japanese company and I guess their laws stipulate that a Western company can’t buy them out. It’s also why Nintendo can never be acquired by Disney. I found this out not too long ago.
Oh. Well that's good news then!

A hypothetical Microsoft buyout would also complicate Bayonetta and Persona's content in Smash, as those franchises are also owned by Sega.

That being said, Microsoft is generally willing to play nice with Nintendo and Sony when it benefits them (Minecraft getting on other platforms, Banjo in Smash, etc.). As such, while it might make negotiations more difficult for the attorneys, I doubt it will impact Smash all that much.
I always forget that Sega has IPs that aren't Sonic. lol

Well...I associate the Yakusa series with the company nowadays, but I still forget who owns Bayonetta and Persona.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
What do you mean? I thought that Ridley looked pretty cooo-

View attachment 269300
There's probably a good reason why they put off actually showing him until the last minute.
oooh-oooh-ooookay that's not okay.

Sega is a Japanese company and I guess their laws stipulate that a Western company can’t buy them out.
I've found nothing concrete that states that a Japanese company cannot be bought by a Non-Japanese company. Do you have a source for this?

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I mean, that version of Ridley is nearly universally hated by Metroid and Smash fans and it was specifically a sore spot for a lot of fans from the last game. Now in this game you have a wonderfully redesigned version of Ridley that appeases fans as a playable fighter and you don't want to take away from his chance to be playable too much by incorporating such a vastly different sized version of Ridley in game, and Pyrosphere without Ridley as a boss is just OK. It would have worked, but I think it was very much an intentional decision to leave Pyrosphere out so as to make sure all the focus was on playable Ridley and that form of Ridley so you didn't have two vastly different forms of Ridley in the same game or draw those criticisms a second time.

Furthermore, Ridley as a boss didn't appear on the 8-player version of the stage in Smash for Wii U, so there was a similar conflict there to which we see with Wooly World and Orbital Gate Assault being rough to incorporate on 8 player Smash.

So I think that it's just the combination of things that contributed to Pyrosphere being cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom