• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I was expecting 1-2 first party characters in the pass but if I'm being honest, not this early.

I still think we will get 3-4 third parties, tho. At least I'm confident about a new Capcom character.
But I don't have any problem with more first party characters. Granted the ones I would like the most aren't likely (Isaac) and others are almost impossible at this point (Lyn). There's also Akira Howard who would be really cool but even with ARMS being in the pass I still think that the spirit event for Astral Chain killed his chances for pass 2.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
You can tell how the previous year spoiled a lot of people with the third party content if ARMS of all franchises is getting flak for finally getting a playable character.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
So What if this FP is all about Fan Demand and Upgrades? Every fighter is an Upgraded Spirit, AT, and Mii Costume....

Fighter 1: Arms Rep.

Fighter 2: Shantae

Fighter 3: Rex and Pyra

Fighter 4: Geno

Fighter 5: Isaac

FIghter 6: Rayman

How hyped would everyone be?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Spring Man would be awesome, particularly since he'd break the "AT rule", which benefits Isaac, my most wanted.
Let an interesting character "break the rule", not literally the character even most ARMS people dislike be the one to do it. Spring Man is a failed mascot because he got completely overshadowed as a character in the game by other options and there's like no good reason he can't be replaced by more popular mascots moving forward as a franchise.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You can tell how the previous year spoiled a lot of people with third party content if ARMS of all franchises is getting flak for finally getting a playable character.
I'm not even against the idea gameplay wise, usually I'd only need a moveset for a character I'm not too familiar with, but now I need the character's ****ing identity too

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
So What if this FP is all about Fan Demand and Upgrades? Every fighter is an Upgraded Spirit, AT, and Mii Costume....

All upgrades would be ****ing awful. Some surprises and other new characters would be nice.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
FP6 is Biff because they're just repeating the first DLC cycle. FP7 is going to be Kazuma Kiryu, FP8 will be Neku, FP9 Crash, FP10 Jin Kazama, and FP11 BotW 2 Zelda. Mark my words.
because I'll be long gone when Kiryu is announced **** Kazuma Kiryu

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Once again, I think it’s very hasty to say any other “upgrades” are happening. I also think it’s hasty to expect anything to remain consistent here.

If there’s one thing I think we SHOULD have learned by now, it’s that not all picks are made for the same reasons. Not all picks are going to be made with the same thoughts in mind...this was clearly the case with Pass 1, and it will very likely be the case for Pass 2.

ARMS is in a very unique situation right now. It’s a series that JUST missed base roster, and it’s a series that needs a new “breath of life”. It’s a series that doesn’t have a playable character in Smash.

When looking at other major first-party picks, those things simply don’t apply. This is a business pick through and through if you ask me, and it doesn’t mean anything for picks like BWD, Rex, or Isaac just yet. None of those characters are in the same position right now.

ARMS getting in right now means that ARMS is in Smash. It doesn’t mean Rex is in, or that Waluigi is a lock. It means we’re getting an ARMS character. I realize this potentially changes this game, but there’s a lot hasty hot takes going around that I think miss the point.

We’re consistently wrong because we aren’t looking at things at the individual level. We always focus wholesale, and that rarely proves valid.

Also, Wunderwaft Wunderwaft theres more to Monster Hunter than Nintendo simply overlooking them. I don’t think they’re “ahead” of Dante by any means. Goes back to what I said above...Monster Hunter has a history of having monsters crossover and not the fighter, which it already has.

I think a Monster Hunter would be great, but I think Dante is still in good standing.

osby

Smash Obsessed

An ARMS character would be the most exciting reveal for me and that's just sad.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You can tell how the previous year spoiled a lot of people with the third party content if ARMS of all franchises is getting flak for finally getting a playable character.
The Smash community in 2020 can be summarized by "those spoiled by :ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie: vs. those spoiled by :ultjoker::ulthero::ult_terry:".

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Well, the reveal itself was a bit underwhelming, but since the character launches in June, my guess is that it will be a Lucas/Roy/Ryu situation.

While nowhere near the bombshell that was Joker at TGA, I'm happy we are getting another unrepresented first party series in terms of playable characters, since we only got Inkling in Ultimate.

Kinda sucks that most first parties these days only have a decent shot if they appeared in current or past gen, but a new series is a new series.

If upgrades are a thing for this season, then I'm betting Spring Man. If not, Max Brass.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hard disagree. The differences in each character's abilities make a ton of difference in how you play the game, and I don't think it's a good idea to water down each character into one playstyle especially if the base is Spring Man. Simon and Richter are different in the same way the Links are different; They are in different games and have access to different items and game mechanics.
The barometer is not the ideal representation of each character, the barometer is the possible implementation of a character.

Would putting the ARMS characters of similar anatomy under one moveset be the absolute best way to represent each one? No. But is it a plausible way that they would get represented? Yes, I believe so, and seemingly others do as well.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
BTW definitely down for Dr. Coyle. After:ultdarksamus:we'd be getting another female villain onto the roster.

Though honestly a part of me would like to see Mechanica because it'd be nice to get another mech user after:ultbowserjr:

I.D.

Smash Lord
My fellow upgrade denier bros... can't you just admit that you were wrong about this instead of arguing "W-WELL ARMS IS THE EXCEPTION IT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING"

We... lost

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
My fellow upgrade denier bros... can't you just admit that you were wrong about this instead of arguing "W-WELL ARMS IS THE EXCEPTION IT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING"

We... lost
There's no reason to extrapolate wildly from this when we don't even know which ARMS character we're getting yet. I think people are just saying don't jump to conclusions (also, stuff with more recent Spirits like Astral Chain, Pokemon, and Resident Evil all seem still absolutely off the table).

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Once again, I think it’s very hasty to say any other “upgrades” are happening. I also think it’s hasty to expect anything to remain consistent here.
Cool down with the negativity. :p
As far as I remember, you didn't even consider the possibility of any upgrades to be plausible to begin with, and yet here we are. This is quiet a reversal of roles considering my attitudes pre-E3 2018.:p

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
There are people who thought it would be impossible for these characters to be DLC. How is that not more surprising than a generic top-5-most-played-games DLC list?
Some surprises means not just listening to the people who think Smash should exclusively respond to fans complaining about characters being in smaller roles than playable.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Also, Wunderwaft Wunderwaft theres more to Monster Hunter than Nintendo simply overlooking them. I don’t think they’re “ahead” of Dante by any means. Goes back to what I said above...Monster Hunter has a history of having monsters crossover and not the fighter, which it already has.
That may have been the case before Infinite, but ever since then it seems Capcom has been advertising both the Hunter and Monster when it comes to crossovers. Hell, Dragalia Lost had a Monster Hunter collaboration earlier this year and both Monsters and Hunters were front and center of the collaboration.

dl mh.jpg

This makes the Hunter's disappearance in terms of content all the more suspicious, especially since the mii costume didn't return. Not to mention that Rathalos is literally the only thing that Monster Hunter got as content, not even other more fan favorite monsters appeared as spirits, there wasn't even other music related to the series besides the Rathalos boss fight. If Monsters were supposed to rep the series for Smash then why hold back on the content and only make it related to Rathalos? Why not put in other popular monsters as well?

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
hey wait I just saw the direct and I have a thought
if the selected character is someone like spring man, a main character, with ribbon girl as an echo
we might finally have the opportunity to have assist trophies as characters
Zero, Shovel Knight, Alucard and Akira, be freed from the confines of your trophy!

dezeray112

Smash Hero
So I just saw that the next DLC fighter is going to be someone based from ARMS.

Hoping: Twintelle or Springman (if he gets promoted from his Assist Trophy status.)
Expecting: I don't really know.

I wonder if Nintendo will provide further hints like this in the future for their DLC characters?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The barometer is not the ideal representation of each character, the barometer is the possible implementation of a character.

Would putting the ARMS characters of similar anatomy under one moveset be the absolute best way to represent each one? No. But is it a plausible way that they would get represented? Yes, I believe so, and seemingly others do as well.
From what I've seen this isn't the case, and I really hope they don't go down that route.

We... lost
I think they are right to some extent though. Even if the character is an Assist Trophy or a Spirit it's still very likely that they'll be the only upgrades we get.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well now you're just adding a third answer that wasn't in the equation. :nifty:
Well I'm more hyped now than if we had received no info, and I'll be hyped again come June when the character releases. So no, waiting isn't hype, but we'd have to wait anyway even if we got a full trailer today.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

osby

Smash Obsessed
Maybe I'm close-minded but I think people are kinda jumping the gun with "we can get any ARMS character as long as they're not an AT/Spirit"

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Having an ARMS character doesn't mean we will get Waluigi, Isaac, BWD, Rex or Geno, even if it's look like it. People thought (myself included) that the first pass would end with a third party because "we had 4 third party characters so far", then Byleth happened. This could happen again but the other way around.
False analogy. A better comparison is if we got Waluigi, Isaac, Bandana Dee and Geno and people expecting the last fighter to be highly requested before getting the Chorus Kids.

If Nintendo really DID just go Guess Who on our ass only to make the mascot the one playable then I will write a formal complaint
This seems nitpicky.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Some surprises means not just listening to the people who think Smash should exclusively respond to fans complaining about characters being in smaller roles than playable.
that's half the roster in Ultimate already lol
edit: Actually that applies to every fighter that isn't all of 5 characters :ultmewtwo::ultridley::ultkrool::ultdaisy::ultbyleth:

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here's my thinking on who it is:
  • If it's a solo character, it won't be Spring Man or Ribbon Girl.
    • If spirits disconfirm, it's Max Brass
    • If not, it's either Twintelle, or Min Min. I'm leaning towards Twintelle.
  • If it's an Echo Fighter bundle or something, I think it'll be Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom