• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
There's no reason to extrapolate wildly from this when we don't even know which ARMS character we're getting yet. I think people are just saying don't jump to conclusions (also, stuff with more recent Spirits like Astral Chain, Pokemon, and Resident Evil all seem still absolutely off the table).
Are you saying this character WONT be one of the following:
  • Min-Min
  • Twintelle
  • Ribbon Girl
  • Spring Man
  • Ninjara
The only other conceivable picks are Max Brass or Dr. Coyle, who were not even featured in the release hype cycle. I'd take 99 to 100 odds that the Arms character will be one with a spirit in the game already. Min-Min is the front runner imo.

Frankly, I think this confirms what we've said since FP1 ended: this content was decided on after the game released, so everything is back on the table.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
So ARMS huh?

I’m happy that the series is getting some much needed attention after it kinda went silent

But my excitement entirely depends on who it is and more specifically, what they bring to the table

I heavily doubt this is a Hero situation or a character + echo situation based on what we know

I expect 1 character and nothing more

As far as how it changes DLC speculation imo... maybe I’ll save that for a later post

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Think we can all agree that this Pass is unpredictable to predict at this point.
Considering the statement "Byleth was barely known by others", yeah, they've kinda kept this **** lock tight by this point.

Hero? Datamined.
Banjo? I don't even know how, to be honest, but he was.
Terry? Nintendo intern CJ did an oopsy again.
Byleth? No one ****ing knew.

I think they finally mastered the art of keeping things a secret.

D

Deleted member

I've lost count of how many times I heard the argument, "Sakurai won't add 'insert franchise' because it's already repped through Spirits, so a new character wouldn't expand the Smash universe and make this an even bigger crossover."
Literally where

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Yeah, I really want a Direct even if no fighter reveal. I wanna see what Nintendo has planned. Shame that there won't be one later today
So apparently all I need to do to summon a Direct is insist that there won't be one. I'd make a "No Direct in June" joke here, but we now know we're at least getting Smash news!

I, personally, am very excited for the ARMS character. It always looked like a neat little game, and was sad it wasn't given a slot in Smash to help promote it. The series needs it, and I'd love for ARMS to be more than just a one-off thing. Hopefully, Smash can help. I have Nintendo Online, I'll check out the free trial probably tomorrow, since I'll likely go spend time at my boyfriend's house and it'll be more fun if I try out a game blind with him there :)

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If it's one of the characters who's a spirit I want Chun li later down in the pass
char_sp.png

Give her to me Samurai

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's certainly not going to be one that isn't already in the game, those are the five most popular characters.

Unless Nintendo plans to reveal ARMS 2 with a new protagonist alongside this release. But somehow I doubt that will be the case.
Heh, imagine if that was the case:

“This isn’t just shilling...this is...advanced shilling!”

Maybe it would still be in the same world, though, with previous characters.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
  • Min-Min
  • Twintelle
  • Ribbon Girl
  • Spring Man
  • Ninjara
The only other conceivable picks are Max Brass or Dr. Coyle, who were not even featured in the release hype cycle. I'd take 99 to 100 odds that the Arms character will be one with a spirit in the game already. Most likely Min-Min.

Frankly, I think this confirms what we've said since FP1 ended: this content was decided on after the game released, so everything is back on the table.
At this point I wouldn't be close-minded, it can be a character other then those.

I mean, if you were to go a couple hours back, people would be discounting the possibility of an ARMS rep at all. Much less the first DLC for FP 2.

"Are you saying that the first AT/Spirit upgrade won't be Isaac, Waluigi, Geno, Rex & Pyra, or Shantae" was a decently common thought. Any ARMS character could get in at this point in time.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
  • Min-Min
  • Twintelle
  • Ribbon Girl
  • Spring Man
  • Ninjara
The only other conceivable picks are Max Brass or Dr. Coyle, who were not even featured in the release hype cycle.
Yes.

Heoj

Smash Ace
arms-nintendo-1585237993 (1).png

So these are my overall thoughts on who its gonna be, but i havent actually played arms and my knowledge n the game is rather limited but im pretty damn confident on who it is. I also dont think its an arms 2 character or a bowser junior type of deal. Ill be genuinely surprised if it isnt min-min.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Think we can all agree that this Pass is unpredictable to predict at this point.

Though I suspect that this one will consist of both 1st and 3rd party characters.
Trying to predict DLC (without leaks) is something we've literally never done effectively. Like even compared to base rosters our track record is abysmal. And it will continue to be abysmal. I learned my lesson with Smash 4 and this time have been just sitting back and doing my best to enjoy the ride.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If Nintendo is choosing the DLC, then I have a feeling Spring Man with Ribbon Girl as an alt will be the ARMS character, and they just overhyped the identity of the character for no good reason.

I could be dead wrong, but I feel like they always shoot for the characters who comes the closest to qualifying as the "main character". I remember Sakurai saying Nintendo wanted Byleth when he wanted someone else.

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I am hoping for Spring Man since he seems interesting and the Assists can't be promoted to fighters fan rule would die as well.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think Shinobi has close connections to Microsoft. Idk what exactly but that’s how he knew
More people than shinobi knew about Banjo. More people than just the person who eventually leaks the character know about the character.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Didn’t Min Min win the final... uhhh... whatever equivalent of Splatfests ARMS has? I’d argue she’s the most popular and may be the choice

if not her then Twintelle because the Bayonetta glitch might be a reference to her

and they’re both Spirits so again, Elma and Octoling stand a chance now!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here's one thing I bet we can all agree on: Any of these characters will be super annoying in online play.

They've got a lot of range, and a bunch of different attributes including:
  • Fire-Does more damage.
  • Electric-Stuns you.
  • Wind-Fixed knockback that can create more combos because you will fly much slower.
  • Stun-More hitstun. Not really paralysis like the electric attribute, but still potentially annoying.
  • Explosion-Does a butt ton of damage (though you can use it against them).
  • Ice-Freezes you.
  • Blind-...I don't think this would actually translate well. Perhaps it gets replaced with a sort of ink mechanic?
  • Poison-Stackable damage over time.
and that's not even going over any specific character's abilities.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
What I am getting from this announcement is ANYTHING is possible again. Se don't know if this will be an upgrade, but it still could be, which in turn opens more upgrades. We don't know if this is the only first party or not, which leaves open more 1st parties.

This SINGLE announcment killed the staleness that is smash speculation, and I love it
I mean hey, if upgrades are fair game they’re fair game.

I’m not shifting my thoughts because I want to be right or something. I’m sure some folks will think that, but that’s not why I’m here. Based on ARMS being what it is, renewing interest through Smash is something that has been proven to work. It’s completely logical as a business decision. It’s a recent game that has potential to gain from a renewal of interest. We could even get ARMS 2 eventually (though I’m not as sold on that yet).

While we don’t know WHO is getting added, there is more to DLC picks than the “rules” of base game speculation. Not all picks are chosen for the same reasons. Folks thought it would be entirely 3rd party for Pass 1, yet we get an advertising pick in Byleth. Even the 3rd party picks had different reasons for their inclusion. Banjo for example may have never been added if Microsoft didn’t continue a budding relationship with Nintendo for all we know.

It’s not so simple to say other picks are coming because of ARMS getting a playable pick. ARMS is seemingly getting in to renew interest. That alone does not apply to Rex, it does not apply to Bandanna Waddle Dee, it does not apply to Waluigi. It’s not the same thing.

I’ll say what I said earlier. We consistently brush broad strokes when we speculate, and we are rarely correct when doing so. To do so again is only going to lead to disappointment if you ask me. As the guy who never thought we’d get upgrades, I’m convinced as of now that ARMS is getting an upgrade.

To be fair, one thing I did say before was that if “upgrades” were happening, it would be the first pick.

Really hoping it turns out to be a Hero type situation. If not that, I think it’s Min-Min.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
"We know you have been waiting for a while so here is the next fighter from this seriers. Who? Wait until June to find out!"

Great. At last Crash Nitro Fueled revealed some cool stuff

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
scdvsdp.png

For the record, I've never played the game. I'm just saying how it is. And that'll be the last of my Helixposting for now, see you in June. :secretkpop:

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
They also announced the BioShock Collection for the Switch! :love:
Maybe I'll buy it for the 3rd time.

Now my boy Big Daddy's chances to be in Smash are rising from 0% to 1%! LET'S GOOO

blackghost

Smash Champion
i think the most interesting thing is the intrigue of what happens if this chaarcter is either:
a. springman (upgrades arent out)
b. NOT ribbon girl (smash traditionally picks mascots and series representatives) im kinda curious would Jack Brass count as a big time character mascot?i really dont remember this game marketing-wise outside of springman and ribbon girl being cover characters and twintelle makinga big splash on her reveal.

all that said i really would be surprised if its not ribbon girl. shes both a mascot level character and shes unique because she has three jumps.
i'd really like to see twintelle or min-min but i doubt it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
For the record, I've never played the game. I'm just saying how it is. And that'll be the last of my Helixposting for now, see you in June. :secretkpop:
Unfortunately, I think Helix is the least realizable ARMS character. Its whole gimmick is that it can raise its torso up to avoid attacks, but since characters don't lock onto Helix's torso, the former ability would probably just serve to make his hurtboxes bigger, which isn't a good thing, and it gets knocked over if it gets hit while doing this so...

It also has the ability to crawl, but that's not exactly a unique mechanic. It'd be pretty funny though, and I wouldn't be mad if it happened.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So What if this FP is all about Fan Demand and Upgrades? Every fighter is an Upgraded Spirit, AT, and Mii Costume....

Fighter 1: Arms Rep.

Fighter 2: Shantae

Fighter 3: Rex and Pyra

Fighter 4: Geno

Fighter 5: Isaac

FIghter 6: Rayman

How hyped would everyone be?
Aside from the Arms rep which is already an "I sleep" pick.
Shantae is okay
Rex and Pyra, I sleep
Geno is cool
Isaac is okay
Rayman is okay

Overall just meh...

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
It will be interesting to see who the Arms characters since depending who it is could put things like Spirits (which Arms characters were Spirits btw?) and maybe Assist Trophy upgrades on the table.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Hmm...ARMS eh.

So right away, we've gotten rid of any notion of the pass being all 3rd party. And on top of that, there's a good chance that the "No Spirits" and "No Assist Trophies" fanrules are dead as well.

Things just got pretty interesting!

I wish they'd at least said with character it was though...

I'm curious if the ARMS character was ALWAYS planned to be FP6, or if Nintendo had to move it to FP6 because it's a fighter they didn't need to have any meetings with other companies in order to finish.

Anyway! Psyched about Bravely Default II. Sad that it's still using that same art style...

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It will be interesting to see who the Arms characters since depending who it is could put things like Spirits (which Arms characters were Spirits btw?) and maybe Assist Trophy upgrades on the table.
Spring Man (who’s also an AT, weirdly enough his AT doesn’t appear in his Spirit battle), Ribbon Girl (who’s also a costume), Ninjara, Min Min, Twintelle

i don’t recall if Lola Pop or Helix had Spirits. I know for SURE that Mechanica and Dr. Coyle don’t

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Don't mind me. I'm just here to pay my respects to all the "Spirits/AT's deconfirm" people.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It'll probably be MinMin to

A̶̪̯̬͔̫̠̻͐͛̔͑̉̍̆p̸̙̗̖̼͍̤͔̼̟̉̀p̵̤̼̟̍̈́͊̈́̈́̑͋̂̑͊̂͋͜͠͝e̷̛͎̣͎͒̓a̶̧̧̬̖̝̪͔̳̮̯̗̹͗͐͑̈́͒̇̽̔̐̏͆͗͝͠͝ͅͅl̴͓͚̎͂͑̍̎͝ ̸̨̡̨̼̣̯͉͈̻̲̌̄̇̄̌͋͛̐͋͝͝t̸̢̪̼͖̠̓ơ̴̪̽̋̄̔̀̋͑͑̕̕ͅ ̴̧̨̭̮͎͇̰͙̥̳͙̙̰̓̔́͌̌̒͒̆ͅṭ̸̡̉̅̍̐̈́̀h̶̩̦͓͖̙̙̜̹͎̏̀̋͛͛͂̇͒͌͌͠ͅͅe̵̞̭͍͙̱̞̰̘̱̎̈́̈́̾̍̓̈̌͜ͅ ̷͈̉͆̋̊͌͑̈́͝C̴̨̡̠̩̟͔͙̞̎̀͐̅̊̽͗̂͋̀̈́͑͠͝ĥ̷̙̠̈́͋̅̐̐́͒͌̉̽i̷͚̋̉̇̍̌́̓̀͠͝n̵̞̝̋̒̋͑̂̑̆̈́͠ë̵̩͎̰̬̬̬͔͚̲́̀̉ş̶̩̮̟̠̩̮̯̦͑͑̆̂͐́̀̿͜͝͝ȩ̴̖͒͐̅̓̓̒̿̉̅ ̶̡̛̜̪͂̃̈͑̔̈́̇̊̋̏̌̔̋̕ô̴͎̘͈͉̭̇̇̏̔̂̒̍͆́̔͆̕̚v̴͎̱͍̗͋̔͛̒̆͛̑̅̅̔̀ͅě̷̢̢̛̮͕̦̙̠͍̈́̆̿̆̈́͐̋̓͋͝͝r̸̖̭̩͈̩̩̎̀̆̍̇̇͗̇́̊̓l̵̢̝̘̖̍́̇͌̔́̈́̌͝ͅǫ̵̢͎̯͉̺͖̠̭̓̉̀̏͗͌͂̏̍͝r̴̡̨̨̢͍͎̫̮̜͉̘̈́͆͋̐́̑͜͝ḏ̶̢̛̱̫̙̹͍͊̆͆̑̈́̊͑̇̀̒̊͘̚͜ś̸̛͓͇͚̭̦͉͖̣̬̥͕̜̉͊̓͜

Er... I mean, get more female characters in smash, yes.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
im kinda curious would Jack Brass count as a big time character mascot?
He's a boss character that became playable later on. He does show up in the second title screen, but so do the other DLC characters so I don't think he qualifies for mascot status. He is a very prominent character in the game though.

i don’t recall if Lola Pop or Helix had Spirits.
They don't.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Spring Man (who’s also an AT, weirdly enough his AT doesn’t appear in his Spirit battle), Ribbon Girl (who’s also a costume), Ninjara, Min Min, Twintelle

i don’t recall if Lola Pop or Helix had Spirits. I know for SURE that Mechanica and Dr. Coyle don’t
Honestly just imagine if it is someone who isn't a spirit like Dr. Coyle.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's still premature to say upgrades are now possible, but as someone else already pointed out, almost every character who people would've guessed would be the ARMS rep is already a Spirit. We got Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Min Min, and Twintelle.

They could always surprise us with someone like Master Mummy or Kid Cobra, but I'm leaning toward the character being one of the five with Spirits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom