• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I had kinda given up on ARMS, but I'm extremely happy with this news. I don't know who the new character will be and if it's a character who was already an AT or Spirit, but honestly, I'd be fine with any of them. All characters have the same core gimmick.

Also, I find it hilarious that our very first character is both a first-party AND someone from a series that was seemingly "deconfirmed" because it was already repped in Smash. Can't wait to hear the explanations people have for why an ARMS character doesn't count and why we shouldn't expect any more AT/Spirit upgrades or first-parties.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Some surprises means not just listening to the people who think Smash should exclusively respond to fans complaining about characters being in smaller roles than playable.
I thought "NOBODY was talking about ARMS". Now it's "ARMS is only happening because of complaints from entitled fans"

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Maybe I'm close-minded but I think people are kinda jumping the gun with "we can get any ARMS character as long as they're not an AT/Spirit"
It's certainly not going to be one that isn't already in the game, those are the five most popular characters.

Unless Nintendo plans to reveal ARMS 2 with a new protagonist alongside this release. But somehow I doubt that will be the case.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Well this is... certainly an interesting way to kick off Volume 2.
I don't get why didn't just straight told us why they didn't reveal the characters identity.
I personally don't like the prospect of a Hero situation with an ARMS character but I coincide that this is the most logical prospect right now.
Or maybe it's just standard Nintendo marketing and they really want people to keep up guessing for 3 months (which it's not good for any us speculators, not trying to deny that).

KingDoop

Smash Cadet
I predict I'll have a more enjoyable time playing an ARMS character in smash than I had playing ARMS

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
The character's gonna end up being Byte and Barq just to further indicate that people can't predict DLC choices for ****.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Which two ARMS characters do you think can Echo each other even if it’s a Ken/Chrom style echo?

D

Deleted member

Yes, exactly what we needed after Byleth, more self-advertisement!
Which two ARMS characters do you think can Echo each other even if it’s a Ken/Chrom style echo?
Min Min and Ribbon Girl

Last edited by a moderator:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I had kinda given up on ARMS, but I'm extremely happy with this news. I don't know who the new character will be and if it's a character who was already an AT or Spirit, but honestly, I'd be fine with any of them. All characters have the same core gimmick.

Also, I find it hilarious that our very first character is both a first-party AND someone from a series that was seemingly "deconfirmed" because it was already repped in Smash. Can't wait to hear the explanations people have for why an ARMS character doesn't count and why we shouldn't expect any more AT/Spirit upgrades or first-parties.
People are already saying ARMS is unique and not expect any other upgrades at all. its sad.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I kinda wonder if like Byleth if said ARMS rep will be an promotion pick to coincide with an announcement of ARMS 2. What do you guys think?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Unless Nintendo plans to reveal ARMS 2 with a new protagonist alongside this release. But somehow I doubt that will be the case.
I kinda wonder if like Byleth if said ARMS rep will be an promotion pick to coincide with an announcement of ARMS 2. What do you guys think?
Nah. Were that the case, they would have revealed that instead of releasing a demo for Nintendo Online users.

The character's gonna end up being Byte and Barq just to further indicate that people can't predict DLC choices for ****.
I would be super down for that for very obvious and predictable reasons.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Actually super excited for this. My thoughts are as follows:

Could be Dr. Coyle due to her importance to the lore and the major push she got.

Could be Min Min for being the most popular.

Could be Spring Man...IF they go the Hero route. That's the only way I could see a need to keep him a surprise.

Helix because I'm biased as ****.

Tbh, if Sakurai just smashed 4 Arms characters into one character like they did with Hero, that would be a misrepresentation of the game. Sakurai doesn’t like doing that.

As someone who actually played ARMS, participated in tournaments and such, while every character is largely the same at it’s core, they all have unique traits and playstyles.

In regards to those 4 characters specifically:

- Spring Man has the ability to deflect attacks by just dashing and perma-charges at low health.
- Ribbon Girl double jumps.
- Ninjara teleports on dash and on block.
- Min-Min perma charges 1 arm and deflects attacks on air-dash...with a kick.

Watering those characters down to just costumes of another character is just a huge misrepresentation of the game and doubles down on how most people think Arms is played.

What I can see happening is whatever character they choose to rep ARMS, different attacks/smashes/etc. will feature different arms you can choose from the game. Also, Min-Min is probably the most likely character to be the choice, because of popularity and that she can actually kick.
In fairness, DLC especially has taken some pretty drastic liberties before.

Like just to name a big one, there's not a single route in Three Houses where Byleth has access to Aymr, Areadbhar, AND Failnaught, and it's a huge crux of their Smash portrayal.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Spring Man and Ribbon Girl (and Springtron) are the only one i think would work, Anybody else wouldn't work simply because of their ability's in Arms.
Maybe Min Min or Ninjara but i really don't like the idea of this one.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Those are the cops, that makes them worse, my anarchist nature cannot allow it!

Also I'm douting a Hero situation because of the announcement
IMG_20200326_152627.jpg

'A fighter from ARMS' and not 'SMASH ULTIMATE X ARMS'. Though we'd obviously need the translations so this may end up meaning **** all

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

One isn't a pattern yet for one thing and they're absolutely trying to do something with ARMS right now it seems. I admit I was wrong in some areas, but it's way too early to be claiming some huge victory for upgrades at this point.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
If the next character is Spring Man I would be stoked because it means Waluigi and SK are back on the menu.

Honestly though, my money is on Helix, because it seems like a classic Sakurai pick.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Cool down with the negativity. :p
As far as I remember, you didn't even consider the possibility of any upgrades to be plausible to begin with, and yet here we are. This is quiet a reversal of roles considering my attitudes pre-E3 2018.:p
Negativity? I’m hyped as hell right now.

I’m being realistic right now. ARMS means NOTHING, when it comes to other characters as far as we know right now. It is incredibly hasty to think this changes everything, when it may not make a difference for particular characters. It is simply a fact that ARMS is not in the same situation as Golden Sun, Xenoblade 2, or another pack.

We don’t even know for sure (even though I think it is) if it’s an upgrade. Folks are taking that, running with it, some expecting a pass of 1st parties only (wew lad)...these are all well and good, but there are takes being put out there that are based on more than we know right now.

Not negativity, just being realistic. Reality is often disappointing when our minds have the chance to imagine our ideal scenarios.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Lol, I remember we were just talking about ARMS a couple of days ago, and now ARMS is actually starting off the Fighter Pass.

I’m hyped, I was actually pegging for an ARMS to get in this Fighter Pass but I wasn’t sure if it would happen... but it seems like Nintendo is actually going to give ARMS a second chance. Hopefully this can pave way for Rex to get in as well, seeing how ARMS and Xenoblade 2 were in the same boat.

As for who the Fighter is, I think it’s Spring Man, with Ribbon Girl being playable in some form as well. I do believe they kept the identity of the fighter a secret since they didn’t have a trailer yet due to development issues and wanted to at least introduce the fighter in a trailer of some sorts. Right now, all they had was a slideshow, so they might as well keep the suspense going until they have a watchable trailer at the least, and Nintendo is well known for blue balling people when it comes to new information.

And on a final note, I think Spring Man may come with a bit of twist and include some moves and attributes from the other fighters in Arms as well. Since they are pushing for Arms, I think Sakurai may want to give Spring Man the Byleth treatment to help diversify his move set.

SKX31

Smash Master

The fact that ARMS is getting a free online play period made me think along those lines. It's not conclusive of course, but it wouldn't surprise me since most free online periods post-launch are marketing related. It kinda suits someone like Coyle or another unrepresented (so far) character. Of course, not counting out in-game promotions (Spring Man and the Spirits) completely, but Nintendo (Furukawa specifically) seems to heavily lean towards 1st Party newcomers being partly chosen for marketing reasons. I'm saying heavily since we're 3 out of 3 1st party newcomers (Corrin, Byleth, ARMS) being tied to something else.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As far as I can remember, most of ARMS's cast shares similar proportions:
Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Min Min, Kid Cobra, Lola Pop (though her pants are quite baggy), Misango, and Springtron.

Twintelle and Dr. Coyle are taller.

Max Brass, Byte & Barq, Helix, Mechanica, and Master Mummy don't really share body types.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Y'all gotta stop jumping to conclusions when we don't know who the fighter is lmao
Helix gang succeeds by being patient and knowing that arguing when we have 3 months until we even know is pointless. :secretkpop:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
One isn't a pattern yet for one thing and they're absolutely trying to do something with ARMS right now it seems. I admit I was wrong in some areas, but it's way too early to be claiming some huge victory for upgrades at this point.
Of course it's too early to assume AT/Spirits are being upgraded when the character could easily be someone who's neither, but people were dead wrong about the purpose of Spirits.

I've lost count of how many times I heard the argument, "Sakurai won't add 'insert franchise' because it's already repped through Spirits, so a new character wouldn't expand the Smash universe and make this an even bigger crossover."

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm not seeing a lot of the complaints I'm seeing people complain about.
Most of the reaction seems positive to be honest or if you're like me, just "fine" with ARMS in Smash. That's really the worst I'm seeing outside of people saying "Don't jump to conclusions" lol.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Those are the cops, that makes them worse, my anarchist nature cannot allow it!

Also I'm douting a Hero situation because of the announcement
View attachment 267111
'A fighter from ARMS' and not 'SMASH ULTIMATE X ARMS'. Though we'd obviously need the translations so this may end up meaning **** all
Plurals in Japanese are tricky, as they're entirely context sensitive, so I could see it going either way. IIRC, a similar mistake when made during E3 when Sakurai's statement was translated as "a new fighter will be shown", only for us to get both Hero and Banjo.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm not seeing a lot of the complaints I'm seeing people complain about.
Yeah I've asked for twitter scans twice now and no one's manned up. I understand we're a bitter ass community but don't go incriminating ourselves.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Negativity? I’m hyped as hell right now.

I’m being realistic right now. ARMS means NOTHING, when it comes to other characters as far as we know right now. It is incredibly hasty to think this changes everything, when it may not make a difference for particular characters. It is simply a fact that ARMS is joy in the same situation as Golden Sun, Xenoblade 2, or another pack.

We don’t even know for sure (even though I think it is) if it’s an upgrade. Folks are taking that, running with it, some expecting a pass of 1st parties only (wew lad)...these are all wel and good, but there are takes being put out there that are based on more than we know right now.

Not negativity, just being realistic. Reality is often disappointing when our minds have the chance to imagine our ideal scenarios.
What I am getting from this announcement is ANYTHING is possible again. Se don't know if this will be an upgrade, but it still could be, which in turn opens more upgrades. We don't know if this is the only first party or not, which leaves open more 1st parties.

This SINGLE announcment killed the staleness that is smash speculation, and I love it

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Helix gang succeeds by being patient and knowing that arguing when we have 3 months until we even know is pointless. :secretkpop:
What better way to prove it's pointless than by adding our friend who is totally squishy and has no points? :V

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Think we can all agree that this Pass is unpredictable to predict at this point.

Though I suspect that this one will consist of both 1st and 3rd party characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom