• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
Whichever character it ends up being from ARMS, I'm quite sure fan rules such as "no assist trophies" and "no spirits" can be fairly safely disregarded now. There's no reason to assume it deconfirms characters, but whether or not characters end up being promoted is completely up in the air of course.

And I've not played ARMS, are the characters similar enough that they could be alt skins?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So if it's Spring Man and the next character is Rex, then Fighters Pass 2 will be dubbed the apology pass

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The only thing I'm happy about that it isn't Crash or Dante or the same 4 characters over and over again
What's wrong with Crash or Dante? :239: They're just chillin', they didn't do anything wrong by being popular speculation. except KOS-MOS, textleaks tainted her

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I made a tier list for who I think the ARMS rep will be. (https://tiermaker.com/create/arms-nintendo)
1585234305783.png

S - Coyle is a massive part of the lore of the game, as she created the ARMS and Helix. Her DLC release was hugely hyped. I think she's the most likely, and not by a small margin.

A - These are all characters who are important to ARMS and would be unique. None of them would truly surprise me, other than the fact they're not Dr. Coyle.

B. I don't think this group is happening, but they shouldn't be ruled out. Spring Man is this low because when people think ARMS rep, they think him. If it was him, they wouldn't have played it up as this big mystery.

C. The border between could happen and probably won't happen. If they add Spring Man, they might as well add her as an echo, she's quite popular. Even if they don't add Spring Man, there's a slim chance they add her.

D. Characters I can't see happening due to body style. When you think ARMS, you think stretchy arms. Even if Sakurai doesn't choose the main character, he'd likely want to represent that trait. Twintelle has stretchy hair, and Mechanica uses a robot. They're a spin on the formula, and I can't see them happening as Arms's first rep. I should add that on the slim chance ARMS ever gets a second rep, these two jump up significantly - their uniqueness becomes a benefit.

F. Characters I don't see happening do to insignificance. Springtron without Spring Man would be ridiculous, and all the others are too niche.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Well, since Crash obviously isn't an ARMS character, I hope people can stop bringing up MandyCan from here on.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I don't know anything about Arms but since the poster boy for the game is already an assist then it can't be him. And it's obviously not him because otherwise they would have already revealed him here.

So this is a weird moment in smash where a fighting game character joins and it's not the poster boy.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't know anything about Arms but since the poster boy for the game is already an assist then it can't be him. And it's obviously not him because otherwise they would have already revealed him here.

So this is a weird moment in smash where a fighting game character joins and it's not the poster boy.
You're making a lot of assumptions

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And I've not played ARMS, are the characters similar enough that they could be alt skins?
No. They all fight in a similar fassion, and their ARMS can be swapped out, but the fighters themselves all have different properties. For example, Spring Man can cancel out punches when coming out of a charge, and Ribbon Girl has multiple jumps, and can pretty much instantly drop to the ground after an air dash.

Nate1080

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate1080
Sakurai just tweeted about the ARMS announcment.

Yeah we can't say fan rules are fully dead but its looking VERY likely. And if ARMS is in I can see Rex getting in unless Nintendo doesn't want him in.

I do think the Hero Situation is the most likely for ARMS, with the 4 you said the most likely ones.
Tbh, if Sakurai just smashed 4 Arms characters into one character like they did with Hero, that would be a misrepresentation of the game. Sakurai doesn’t like doing that.

As someone who actually played ARMS, participated in tournaments and such, while every character is largely the same at it’s core, they all have unique traits and playstyles.

In regards to those 4 characters specifically:

- Spring Man has the ability to deflect attacks by just dashing and perma-charges at low health.
- Ribbon Girl double jumps.
- Ninjara teleports on dash and on block.
- Min-Min perma charges 1 arm and deflects attacks on air-dash...with a kick.

Watering those characters down to just costumes of another character is just a huge misrepresentation of the game and doubles down on how most people think Arms is played.

What I can see happening is whatever character they choose to rep ARMS, different attacks/smashes/etc. will feature different arms you can choose from the game. Also, Min-Min is probably the most likely character to be the choice, because of popularity and that she can actually kick.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No. They all fight in a similar fassion, and their ARMS can be swapped out, but the fighters themselves all have different properties. For example, Spring Man can cancel out punches when coming out of a charge, and Ribbon Girl has multiple jumps, and can pretty much instantly drop to the ground after an air dash.
They all have a unique attribute, but they're not so dissimilar they couldn't still be alts. At least the ones with more standard morphology.

Keep in mind Sakurai has blended distinctions together in creating composite characters, like how the Castlevania moveset incorporates facets of both Simon and Richter.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
If I'm not pummeling fools with Min Min's noodle arms in June we're gonna have some serious problems Sakurai

... I'm cool with anyone else though

Droodle

Smash Lord
Regardless, if ARMS is in, I think the chance for a new Xenoblade rep is also extremely high; especially if this pass is mostly 1st parties (which I feel like it'll be now). Nintendo is pushing XC (the series in general) hard right now, and I'm pretty sure they realize that the franchise has a good amount of demand for getting another character (for a 1st party franchise at the very least).

I don't know who it'll be (it may be Rex and Pyra, Melia, Fiora, Elma, Lora and Jin, or a new protag altogether); but I feel as though a new XC rep is going to happen. I would prefer Fiora, or Elma.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Nintendo being ambiguous about who the character is points to it being a Hero/Bowser Jr. situation with multiple different characters as alts. Either way fan rules have been broken. A lot of people were being adamant against upgrades from the base game to DLC, whether it was spirits or assist trophies and whatnot. I think this pretty much proves Nintendo is willing to look back on the base game and upgrade any content they see fit. With that said I don't see how Dante is the frontrunner for Capcom anymore, imo Monster Hunter is beating him out of that spot.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The differences between the fighters in ARMS are more than just cosmetic, so I don't see that happening at all. I think we'll either get some sort of Echo Fighter bundle, or just one of the ARMS fighters.

I honestly don't think Spring Stadium is the best choice for an ARMS stage, since its gimmick is that there are springs on the sides, and that would make for really weird ledges. My thinking would be Sky Arena, since it's everyone's final destination, and it's gimmick is just a raised platform in the center. They could even have Headloc appear as a stage hazzard/item.

EDIT: It also has the most amount of characters associated with it due to their connection to Max Brass or Dr. Coyle.
I’ve been thinking four of the six characters in this pass will have echoes bundled with whomever they’re echoing, to fill all the remaining WoL slots in one go as even though this pass is six fighters, there’ll still be four remaining. And this is said to be the final pass so...

base roster/pass 1 echoes are out of luck basically so no Impa or Kasumi. I peg Octolings as semi clones in my speculation so they’re safe

For research’s sake, which ARMS characters can hover? I might have an idea

Fun theory from another thread.
So in other words... Twintelle?

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
Im actually pretty excited for this. Min-Min is really the only one i want plus shes a spirit which means well for Geno. If you ask me i think Min-min is definitely the most likely, i mean with the way they worded it i highly doubt its spring man or ribbon girl, those two are just a bit too obvious in my opinion. The fact that nintendo is choosing the dlc makes me doubt they would go for a villain. Im definitely putting my money on min-min.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Imagine if Spring Man gets promoted but Waluigi or Issac don't.
The salt would be inmeasurable.
Nah, I wouldn't be salty. I'd respect it, I recall Sakurai saying characters like Spring Man and Rex were desired to become playable, but take time restraints and their late creation making them ineligible. So I wouldn't really be mad, Waluigi, Isaac, and Spring Man don't have any "deservedness" priority over another.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
You never hearing about it =/= it being obscure. ARMS sold over 2 million copies on the Switch which is impressive for a new Nintendo IP in a niche genre that was solely released in one platform.
ARMS only sold as well as it did because the launch of the Switch was anemic as hell and it was the first new first party title since Zelda. This game and 1-2 Switch have had the absolute hardest plateaus of any Switch exclusive thus far and both benefited from similar circumstances. I think ARMS as a brand has largely been overvalued by people based upon that figure that is also directly influenced by those circumstances...

That said, it does seem like Nintendo is actively trying to relaunch the brand a little bit and it did have a dedicated fan base that stuck with it, with quite a few people requesting it get into Smash, so this also does make sense as a move in that regard.

As for my personal thoughts on ARMS in Smash? Meh. I'm happy it's a new series and I know it makes people happy, so that's good. But beyond that, I think I'm even less whelmed by this than I was with Byleth. I'm sure Sakurai and company will make an interesting fighter out of this character/characters (I'm with people in thinking we might see a Hero situation here where there is more than one ARMS character wrapped up in this fighter), so that's good.

Also, I'm willing to admit, I was wrong about several ideas and things, but I also don't really believe this is indicative of the future of the pass yet or upgrades in general, and we'll see the extent to which ARMS gets relaunched to see how that influenced things here. ARMS and Xenoblade were probably the best positioned as Switch IPs for additional content in Smash, though I always leaned towards Rex/Pyra being our character in future DLC from a first party perspective, so this did surprise me as I wasn't sure if Nintendo saw continued value in ARMS as a brand considering how much it felt like they abandoned the original game and its related content (comics and graphic novel being cancelled for example). A new universe, however, is way better than yet another Pokemon at least.

I do hope Spring Man stays buried as an Assist Trophy. I think he's the worst character I've seen of ARMS by far.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Not a fan of how nonchalantly this was done. Would've preferred to have them keep the suprise until the fighter was ready in June. Or atleast tell us who it is so we won't be in the dark.
You know there would be death in this board if that happened right? This is actually a lot of fun speculating something new

I made a tier list for who I think the ARMS rep will be. (https://tiermaker.com/create/arms-nintendo)
View attachment 267096
S - Coyle is a massive part of the lore of the game, as she created the ARMS and Helix. Her DLC release was hugely hyped. I think she's the most likely, and not by a small margin.

A - These are all characters who are important to ARMS and would be unique. None of them would truly surprise me, other than the fact they're not Dr. Coyle.

B. I don't think this group is happening, but they shouldn't be ruled out. Spring Man is this low because when people think ARMS rep, they think him. If it was him, they wouldn't have played it up as this big mystery.

C. The border between could happen and probably won't happen. If they add Spring Man, they might as well add her as an echo, she's quite popular. Even if they don't add Spring Man, there's a slim chance they add her.

D. Characters I can't see happening due to body style. When you think ARMS, you think stretchy arms. Even if Sakurai doesn't choose the main character, he'd likely want to represent that trait. Twintelle has stretchy hair, and Mechanica uses a robot. They're a spin on the formula, and I can't see them happening as Arms's first rep. I should add that on the slim chance ARMS ever gets a second rep, these two jump up significantly - their uniqueness becomes a benefit.

F. Characters I don't see happening do to insignificance. Springtron without Spring Man would be ridiculous, and all the others are too niche.
here's what I made

If its just 1, I think Dr. COyel is the most likely, but if we get a Hero style, then its the 4 in A.

Tbh, if Sakurai just smashed 4 Arms characters into one character like they did with Hero, that would be a misrepresentation of the game. Sakurai doesn’t like doing that.

As someone who actually played ARMS, participated in tournaments and such, while every character is largely the same at it’s core, they all have unique traits and playstyles.

In regards to those 4 characters specifically:

- Spring Man has the ability to deflect attacks by just dashing and perma-charges at low health.
- Ribbon Girl double jumps.
- Ninjara teleports on dash and on block.
- Min-Min perma charges 1 arm and deflects attacks on air-dash...with a kick.

Watering those characters down to just costumes of another character is just a huge misrepresentation of the game and doubles down on how most people think Arms is played.

What I can see happening is whatever character they choose to rep ARMS, different attacks/smashes/etc. will feature different arms you can choose from the game. Also, Min-Min is probably the most likely character to be the choice, because of popularity and that she can actually kick.
I agree with you, I know they all are 4 different playing characters, but even with Hero, not all 4 heros learned all the spells used, and in canon faught slightly differently from each other. I can see Sakurai going either way with it, just 1(Dr. Coyel if they don't promote anyone, then Spring Man and Ribbon Girl second, and Min Min third with her popularity), or a Hero/Bowser Jr Situation.

Besides, some stuff would need to be added to each character in this game anyway. Ribbon Girl is the only one who can double jump in ARMS but everyone will be able here. I can see them giving spring mans deflect by dashing part of their dash attack, and Maybe the B is about holding to charge 1 of the arms but still able to do normal attacks with A like Min Min.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Imagine if Spring Man gets promoted but Waluigi or Issac don't.
If Spring Man's the one character repping ARMS and none of my favourite ATs get in then I'll be mad, not because my ATs got shafted in favour for one I really need a moveset to care about, but because they drummed up "Who will it be?" only to use the mascot. That's like going "Oooooooh you guys you'll NEVER guess which Nintendo IP is getting a new game!" And it's just Mario

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Apparently CP#6 Has An ARMS Fighter;

That still leaves a 1/5 chance for Geno, Bandana Waddle Dee, Heihachi Mishima, Crash OR Spyro to appear in Challenger packs #7-#11

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
That was unexpected and definitely not a character I want in Smash.
But I have to admit that from a gameplay standpoint it could be great, with many different possibilities!

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
They all have a unique attribute, but they're not so dissimilar they couldn't still be alts. At least the ones with more standard morphology.

Keep in mind Sakurai has blended distinctions together in creating composite characters, like how the Castlevania moveset incorporates facets of both Simon and Richter.
Hard disagree. The differences in each character's abilities make a ton of difference in how you play the game, and I don't think it's a good idea to water down each character into one playstyle especially if the base is Spring Man. Simon and Richter are different in the same way the Links are different; They are in different games and have access to different items and game mechanics.

For research’s sake, which ARMS characters can hover? I might have an idea
I think just Dr. Coyle, though Twintelle can hover in place for a bit after her air dash, and Ribbon Girl can jump everywhere which has a similar effect.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Spring Man would be awesome, particularly since he'd break the "AT rule", which benefits Isaac, my most wanted.
I Think it'd be Either:

Ribbon Girl
Heelix
Twintelle
Dr Coyle(We Need MORE Villains in Smash)
Max Brass

I'm Hoping for one that Isn't A Male, Isn't an Assist Trophy; and is A Villain; I.E. I Want it to be Dr. Coyle

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Interestingly, they decided to pick the ARMS character to inaugurate the second Fighter's Pass (which, personal take, isn't exactly faith-inspiring in the pass, especially if we get a rando instead of a Spirit/Spring Man). The status of third parties here is a lot more uncertain, since most expected this to be another third-party conga line trailing into Nintendo.

If the next character is a Spirit, I imagine third parties should be worried. Especially so if it's Spring Man, an Assist Trophy. However if we get somebody who has no content in Ultimate, then it's probably all-ok for them in general. We're all but assured one, as Sakurai couldn't make a business meeting, but beyond that we have no idea.

Conversely this couldn't be better news for first parties, but it's also a potential Monkey's Paw. If it's Spring Man, Assists and Spirits like Bandanna Dee and Isaac are back on the table, Waluigi is all but a lock, and even some third parties like Shovel Knight and Bomberman are in the game again. If it's at least one of the four ARMS Spirits, then Bandanna Waddle Dee is the character who I'd point to as the likeliest, but now we still have a far larger first party supply to pull from. But if it's somebody who had no content in Ultimate prior to getting in, then characters with content in Ultimate are beyond boned and we likely only have BotW 2 and Prime 4 (I'd say Gen 8 DLC but people contend with me on that, Pikmin 4 doesn't exist anymore to Nintendo) to count on for fans of Nintendo's lineup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom