• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
1.Dr. Coyle - Kopie.png

Please be Dr. Coyle, please be Dr. Coyle, please be Dr. Coyle, please be Dr. Coyle,

im ok with Min Min or Ribbon Girl but i want my queen!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I can't remember the last time we seriously spoke about any first party series that wasn't Fire Emblem, Pokemon, or Xenoblade.

Or, mostly upon their respective deconfirmations, Astral Chain and Ring Fit.
My point was that ARMS is like Avatar, it sold well, that's just a fact, but nobody talks about it despite the success.

Also the best thing about this is how people who whine about how opressed Nintendo purists are can shut up now lmao

Suspicious Squirtle

Smash Apprentice
I am actually all for an ARMS fighter in Ultimate. The ambigious language about the fighter makes me think that it's gonna be a Bowser Jr. situation with a separate character being in each alt slot. My most desired character from the game is Twintelle. But if Spring Man or Ribbon Girl is presumably the base, I don't know how that would work since her hair extends, not her arms. The promo also says the "character's arms can exteeeend!" So, even though she is pictured, she could be deconfirmed. It will be interesting come June to see who is chosen though.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
The image from the Direct doesn't necessarily imply they're all out.

Rather I think it's to keep you on your toes. Promos? The main character not being first? A Hero/Koopaling deal?
That's only a formality I dare to say.
I mean, it's already pretty obvious who it will be judging from this: Spring Man or Ribbon Girl.
But they are either an Assist Trophy or Spirit. They just want to keep less involved Smash fan on their toes because an actual deconfirmation would sap the hype out completely for these characters.
So, no Spring Man, Ribbon Girl and Min-Min and Ninjara and Twintelle are supportive spirits.

And if I'm wrong: Ok, then we actually know we can't rely on spirits and ATs for being deconfirmations anymore.
I'm not really hyped for any of these dudes.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
They said the character's from ARMS but they didn't say which one, and they showed the entire game's lineup instead. Since they're all the same character with different properties, I wonder...

Will they add a bunch (or even all) all of them as a big group of echo fighters? They don't all have the same proportions so maybe not but...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I would suggest not getting antsy with "killing 'rules'" all over again.

ARMS is not the same as Xenoblade 2 right now, and Rex was easily my top choice for base roster. I simply don’t necessarily agree that he’s happening. We need to look at things on an individual basis rather than wholesale if you ask me. Individual situations call for individual circumstances. What happens with one may not apply to another.

That said, here’s what I think is going to happen with ARMS in Smash. Bear with me here.

Adding Spring Man shoots down Assist Trophies as being out, (in which case I would probably say Waluigi looks good), but here’s the thing with ARMS. Spring Man simply using his fists would be lame. I haven’t played the game in a loooong time, but the main draw is that you can customize the arm attachments to adjust the play style. They can be all-around, heavy, twisty, etc...

All of the characters are basically the same “humanoid” shape. They’re humans with stretchy body parts.

Considering the fact that this is an attempt to revitalize the series, it makes sense to build that exposure up as much as possible. Considering this, and based on how Dragon Quest, a far larger series, was handled, I think it’s going to follow suit.

My first take is Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min-Min all being playable, with the same moveset, to give a larger scope of the game and sell it to new players. The stage will be ARMS stadium (think back to that crappy leak with Decidueye), and the music...I’m excited.

What do you all think?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They said the character's from ARMS but they didn't say which one, and they showed the entire game's lineup instead. Since they're all the same character with different properties, I wonder...

Will they add a bunch (or even all) all of them as a big group of echo fighters? They don't all have the same proportions so maybe not but...
I don't think we're getting Echo Fighters. If we get multiples, it'll be a situation like Bowser Jr and the Koopaling alts or the Erdrick variations.

Wow what a hard to predict guess, almost like that's exactly what they said
To be fair, he said he just got back from walking the dog and just saw people talking about it. I don't think he's actually watched the reveal yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I feel like the fact that they didn't just announce a single fighter pretty much all but confirms it's going to be another Hero or Bowser Jr. situation where it's multiple ARMS characters composited into one slot with different costumes.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Thank goodness FE isn't the only 1st-party franchise to get a newcomer. That's always rubbed me the wrong way. People have been asking them to give some other Nintendo series a chance and I'm happy to see they're doing just that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

ARMS is not the same as Xenoblade 2 right now, and Rex was easily my top choice for base roster. I simply don’t necessarily agree that he’s happening.

That said, here’s what I think is going to happen with ARMS in Smash. Bear with me here.

Adding Spring Man shoots down Assist Trophies as being out, (in which case I would probably say Waluigi looks good), but here’s the thing with ARMS. Spring Man simply using his fists would be lame. I haven’t played the game in a loooong time, but the main draw is that you can customize the arm attachments to adjust the play style. They can be all-around, heavy, twisty, etc...

All of the characters are basically the same “humanoid” shape. They’re humans with stretchy body parts.

Considering the fact that this is an attempt to revitalize the series, it makes sense to build that exposure up as much as possible. Considering this, and based on how Dragon Quest, a gar larger series, was handled, I think it’s going to follow suit.

My first take is Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min-Min all being playable, with the same moveset, to give a larger scope of the game and sell it to new players. The stage will be ARMS stadium (think back to that crappy leak with Decidueye), and the music...I’m excited.

What do you all think?
I think what you envision is a very plausible outcome. As I said, I agree that's probably the reason there was a lack of specificity.

And past that I just can't see it not being Spring-Man, at least as one of several options.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
tfw you're labelled the "Distance Demon" but the very next fighter is from a game where everyone has super long stretchy arms:ultbyleth:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai tweeted about the announcement at how they're working on balancing, my guess is that there's going to be significant startup to every move or the moves are just weak like Dhalsim
Or there are multiple alts with different properties.

toonito

Smash Ace

ARMS is not the same as Xenoblade 2 right now, and Rex was easily my top choice for base roster. I simply don’t necessarily agree that he’s happening. We need to look at things on an individual basis rather than wholesale if you ask me. Individual situations call for individual circumstances. What happens with one may not apply to another.

Considering the fact that this is an attempt to revitalize the series, it makes sense to build that exposure up as much as possible. Considering this, and based on how Dragon Quest, a gar larger series, was handled, I think it’s going to follow suit.

What do you all think?
it could be a bowser jr. situation with a different character in each slot; other than Twintelle who uses her hair to extend IIRC

i haven't really followed ARMS but Nintendo could throw a curveball and have the ARMS 8 not have Spring Man, Ribbon, Min Min, Twintelle, or Ninjara (current spirits) lol

zferolie

Smash Hero
Sakurai just tweeted about the ARMS announcment.

What do you all think?
Yeah we can't say fan rules are fully dead but its looking VERY likely. And if ARMS is in I can see Rex getting in unless Nintendo doesn't want him in.

I do think the Hero Situation is the most likely for ARMS, with the 4 you said the most likely ones.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I think ARMS will be a mix of Simon/Richter with Bowser Jr., where each character is a alt and the moveset pulls from all punches.
The most interesting thing about this is that Sakurai is indeed hearing fan requests: which means Rex/Pyra (LET'S GO!), Geno and any fan request until E3 2019 is on the table.
SHOUTOUTS to Nintendo for shadow dropping a full Direct!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't think we're getting Echo Fighters. If we get multiples, it'll be a situation like Bowser Jr and the Koopaling alts or the Erdrick variations.
I feel like the fact that they didn't just announce a single fighter pretty much all but confirms it's going to be another Hero or Bowser Jr. situation where it's multiple ARMS characters composited into one slot with different costumes.
The differences between the fighters in ARMS are more than just cosmetic, so I don't see that happening at all. I think we'll either get some sort of Echo Fighter bundle, or just one of the ARMS fighters.

The stage will be ARMS stadium (think back to that crappy leak with Decidueye), and the music...I’m excited.

What do you all think?
I honestly don't think Spring Stadium is the best choice for an ARMS stage, since its gimmick is that there are springs on the sides, and that would make for really weird ledges. My thinking would be Sky Arena, since it's everyone's final destination, and it's gimmick is just a raised platform in the center. They could even have Headloc appear as a stage hazzard/item.

EDIT: It also has the most amount of characters associated with it due to their connection to Max Brass or Dr. Coyle.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So, I guess we're all forming factions now. Who's here with me in the Helix gang?

1585234640564.png

I don't know if he's made of Jello or Flubber but he looks like a wacky crazy inflatable arm tube man and that's all I need to main him.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
What would your reaction be in the hypothetical scenario where we’d get an AT promotion as the next DLC character, but it was Spring Man?
Do you have something to tell us True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior

Either way, there gose anyone who said "Nintendo needs to open up with the pass with something hype!!!" to order for those pass sales, because I'm already regretting my purchase

Because that was not hype, unless you was one of those "where my Nintendo characters" people

I'm still going with my gut that there will be no AT or Spirits upgrades, so congratulations to the "no main character" rule people

Also everyone is gonna apoglize to Jeff right?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I do have something to say, and it is this.

In that case, it would solely be their fault for overhyping themselves.

Besides, there are a lot of solid choices for AT/Spirit promotions that would make for interesting fighters, like Isaac, Waluigi, Captain Toad, Dixie, Isaac, Ashley, Paper Mario, Isaac, Bandana Dee,
Spring Man, Midna, Skull Kid, Bomberman and Isaac. And then there is Geno.... he’s a character that exists.
Daily reminder that people relied way too much on the popularity argument and if they are disappointed, they only have themselves to blame. Me? I'm excited.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
How surprising! An Arms Character. I am shocked they weren't in the first FP but better late than never. Maybe SMASH will be doing one Nintendo IP then the rest third party? Similar to what they did in the last FP.

My hopes for 2B isn't dashed yet but I hope the ARMS rep will be Twintelle. 1 down, five to go

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Considering the reason echoes even exist I highly doubt that
Ok

So, I guess we're all forming factions now. Who's here with me in the Helix gang?

View attachment 267099

I don't know if he's made of Jello or Flubber but he looks like a wacky crazy inflatable arm tube man and that's all I need to main him.
Helix is the correct answer but sadly fate is not that kind

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Didn't expect an ARMS character to be the opener, that's for sure. It's a nice surprise, but...

Honestly I'm impressed at how underwhelming that was, like, how do you announce what your mystery DLC is and STILL try to keep a mystery? Even ignoring the fact that ARMS left zero impact to anyone, can you imagine going "Yup Character 7 is Capcom, though we won't say who"? No gameplay, no render, no trailer, no character. It's like a ****ing parody
...yeah, the announcement was super lame. I don't have any issues about not having a CGI trailer or something like that, but if they're gonna announce the character with a tease, at least they could make a cool teaser to announce that the fighter is from ARMS.
Spring Man will be there for sure, maybe it's a similar situation to the Koopalings. Or Spring Man but with the option to use arms from other characters.

My problem with the reveal is that it was so random and anticlimatic. For people who doesn't know about ARMS or isn't very interested you won't make a good case convincing them announcing an ARMS character like this. A short montage about ARMS as a tease would work better and would give a better impression to those who aren't ARMS fans.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
...at this point Imma start thinking nothing is confirmed or deconfirmed until Smash and Sakurai themselves says so...who the **** expected ARMS to get a playable character

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
The differences between the fighters in ARMS are more than just cosmetic, so I don't see that happening at all. I think we'll either get some sort of Echo Fighter bundle, or just one of the ARMS fighters.
If we were just going to get one, they would have announced him/her here. The fact that Sakurai is always talking about ARMS reps as ARMS characters and not just a single one says a lot, even when he was talking about not including them he was talking about ARMS characters, not an individual one. The only other times he's talked like this are for DQ characters.

I could see the echo fighter bundle though.

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Not a fan of how nonchalantly this was done. Would've preferred to have them keep the suprise until the fighter was ready in June. Or atleast tell us who it is so we won't be in the dark.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
I'm quite happy with this reveal. It's one of those characters everybody expected from the main game, it's a nice original Nintendo franchise, and it definitely hints at the fact that spirits are not hard-deconfirms. Plus, it's one of those characters you know will have a very original moveset.

I also think they'll put multiple of them in as skins. They did the same thing with Inkling, another one of their strong IPs, where you end up with so many cool designs (and colors). And why would they show the whole roster otherwise?

Too bad it's been pushed to June, but I'm looking forward to the release!

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Hehehe, this is perfect. Sure, this Mini Direct was a bit lackluster, but I love how Xenoblade looks, and the announcement of an ARMS character is perfectly fine by me. I personally hope that this is a sign of things to come for the entire pass, with it being more focussed on first-parties.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Well well well, an ARMS fighter is coming to Smash. After this fandom dismissed the chances of any ARMS fighter getting in because a lot of people put all their eggs on Spring Man, we're getting someone from ARMS. We could still get Spring Man, or someone else, they could pull a Hero and pick 8 ARMS fighters.
Place your bets, who's it gonna be? Personally, my money's on Min Min.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom