• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
> ARMS, a popular 2017 Switch game that already had content in Ultimate is getting a character

Rex right now:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sakurai when he either has to break the "no AT promotions" or "main character first" rule

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's just the first fighter, this could just be another Piranha Plant scenario.

No NMH3 news either, which is sad, but I guess we'll get more info in June.
I don't think that's going to happen because ARMS hasn't had a character yet, and therefore would need to have a stage and music to go along with it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't think that's going to happen because ARMS hasn't had a character yet, and therefore would need to have a stage and music to go along with it.
I meant as in it was mostly for funsies. Unless Nintendo is seriously trying to revive ARMS after letting it starve for two years.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Do you have something to tell us True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior

Either way, there gose anyone who said "Nintendo needs to open up with the pass with something hype!!!" to order for those pass sales, because I'm already regretting my purchase

Because that was not hype, unless you was one of those "where my Nintendo characters" people

I'm still going with my gut that there will be no AT or Spirits upgrades, so congratulations to the "no main character" rule people

Also everyone is gonna apoglize to Jeff right?

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Sakurai when he either has to break the "no AT promotions" or "main character first" rule
Literally either way you look at ARMs getting someone in Smash, a rule is gonna be broken.

I do find it a bit humorous how now some people on Twitter are opposed to Volume 2 already despite we not knowing the five other fighters, of course. I want to see said character in action before I make a call.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Do you think Nintendo really had to pander for time so they had to push in Bootleg Ninja Splatoon and ****ing competitive Mahjong trailers?

Also everyone is gonna apoglize to Jeff right?
No, because I haven't heard of him until yesterday and I will likely never hear from him again.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
calling it now, it's not ribbon girl

it'll be dr coyle to buck the trend of protagonists only for new franchises

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Either way a fan rule is getting broken. Whether it be the "no Spirit and or AT upgrades" or "main character first".

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Maybe Arms wasn't planned to be the first fighter, but because of the virus they delayed the third party "pass opener" and put Arms first?

But I agree that starting the pass with Arms is pretty weak imo. Hopefully he will be fun to play, but I don't find the Arms universe that interesting.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This new ARMS fighter will also be the very first first-party DLC character to come from a new, unrepresented series.

zferolie

Smash Hero
God If its Twintale I would go nuts, but honestly this has me excited. ARMS was quite fun, also this means Base game non fighters are all open now!

If its Rex, I can see Waluigi or Isaac

If its Ribbon Girl, Rex is back on.

If its any of their spirits like Minmin or Twintale, then Shantae and Geno are open.

Honestly this is a great way to start the pass as really all the rules we had are broken!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Maybe Arms wasn't planned to be the first fighter, but because of the virus they delayed the third party "pass opener" and put Arms first?

But I agree that starting the pass with Arms is pretty weak imo. Hopefully he will be fun to play, but I don't find the Arms universe that interesting.
That makes no sense as you don't make an entire character while development has slowed doen and only take 2-3 months

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
God If its Twintale I would go nuts, but honestly this has me excited. ARMS was quite fun, also this means Base game non fighters are all open now!

If its any of their spirits like Minmin or Twintale, then Shantae and Geno are open.

Honestly this is a great way to start the pass as really all the rules we had are broken!
Think you meant Spring Man there. But I’m hoping for Min Min or Twintelle cause it would mean Elma and Octoling have a shot too

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Spring Man would be the biggest hype character out of all ARMS characters because it would mean that being an AT is no longer a death sentence for a character's playable chances.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I really think it's gonna be a Koopaling/Hero type of deal.

I doubt Sakurai is not gonna add the main character just because he's an assist trophy.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

So you're saying they only had 6 characters in the second fighter's pass because they predicted that the virus was going to swipe the world by storm three months before it actually happened so they had a placeholder just in case?

1585232592885.png

Or, get this crazy idea, ARMS was first because they don't need to open with an amazing hype best-selling reason to make people buy the pass and they choose whoever they want and in whatever order they want.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
This is a very weak and underwhelming start to season 2 pass.

Should've chosen someone who would've gotten a similar reaction to Joker at least.

I am no way buying the season 2 pass anytime soon. I have never even heard of the game let alone the characters.

I hope they step up their selection next time because if this is setting the pathway for what the pass is like, that's just not good at all.

Was this game or the characters a current spirit or something?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I... did not see that coming!

Rex and Bandana Waddle Dee's chances just went way up.

It also looks like mostly likely spirits no longer confirm and, if its Spring-Man, assist trophies are on the table.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly I'm impressed at how underwhelming that was, like, how do you announce what your mystery DLC is and STILL try to keep a mystery? Even ignoring the fact that ARMS left zero impact to anyone, can you imagine going "Yup Character 7 is Capcom, though we won't say who"? No gameplay, no render, no trailer, no character. It's like a ****ing parody

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
This whole direct feels like it would have been a lot more impactful a month and half ago, but at least they got it out.

I've never played Arms, but I'm pretty excited as the character will be distinct and I'm always happy to see any First Party Fighter get in.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I have never even heard of the game let alone the characters.
You're ****ing with me right? You're pulling my leg?

I can understand not wanting the Pass, but how the hell is ARMS in the "literal who" category? :drshrug: It's just more weak than mysterious.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord

Not really, they could choose a fighter that isn't a spirit, mii costume, or AT.

That said, the rule that is most likely to be broken is the "Main character first rule". With the way they worded it, I'm pretty sure Springman won't be the fighter.

If they end up deliberately picking someone that is not an AT, Spirit, or Costume; I think we can safely say that any chance of an upgrade are most likely gone. But I think it'll probably end up being Minmin, or Byte and Barq (if they want to go for a huge gimmicky character).

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
We really do be going 5 months without actually knowing who the fighter is.
Just that they're from Arms lmao

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I really think it's gonna be a Koopaling/Hero type of deal.

I doubt Sakurai is not gonna add the main character just because he's an assist trophy.
^

I can't imagine it won't be Spring-Man. But the way they framed it makes me think he's probably just the default, and some of the others will be alts. That's my guess.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I feel like people complaining may end up having their mind changed when we see the ARMs character in action.

It's why I am holding off judgement for now. Either way with the concept of ARMs being integrated into a full fighter, it may be a very fun character.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Not really, they could choose a fighter that isn't a spirit, mii costume, or AT.

That said, the rule that is most likely to be broken is the "Main character first rule". With the way they worded it, I'm pretty sure Springman won't be the fighter.

If they end up deliberately picking someone that is not an AT, Spirit, or Costume; I think we can safely say that any chance of an upgrade are most likely gone. But I think it'll probably end up being Minmin, or Byte and Barq (if they want to go for a huge gimmicky character).
Just about almost every popular character in the game is a Spirit except for the main villain.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
1585232874885.png

I don't know who the **** this guy is but he looks like Amingo and I'm saying it's this guy.

Well, at least the notion of Spirits deconfirming is very likely dead.
"Very likely"? Aren't only half of the fighters spirits?

An ARMS rep eh?

I'm guessing Minmin perhaps? Or is she a Spirit already can't remember...
Michael why put in a spoiler, we're all talking about it for the next 10 pages

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
All 6 characters for Fighters Pass 2 are going to be from arms. That's what the teaser was trying to tell us.

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Not buying this DLC pack this time around.
At least not that early.

Really disappointing also considering how they announced the character.
Somewhere squeezed inside the Direct, not even at the beginning or end.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Spring Man is doubtful if they're going "Arms is getting a character bet you can't guess it." This will make speculation so much fun here for another month or so cause I doubt we won't know who it is for much longer. Watch it be a new character from Arms 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom