• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
**** dude, so many people will eat **** whenever the specific character is revealed. I'm still in denial and hope my stubbornness proves to be right, but that seems kind of unlikely.

Nate1080

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate1080
Here's one thing I bet we can all agree on: Any of these characters will be super annoying in online play.

They've got a lot of range, and a bunch of different attributes including:
  • Fire-Does more damage.
  • Electric-Stuns you.
  • Wind-Fixed knockback that can create more combos because you will fly much slower.
  • Stun-More hitstun. Not really paralysis like the electric attribute, but still potentially annoying.
  • Explosion-Does a butt ton of damage (though you can use it against them).
  • Ice-Freezes you.
  • Blind-...I don't think this would actually translate well. Perhaps it gets replaced with a sort of ink mechanic?
  • Poison-Stackable damage over time.
and that's not even going over any specific character's abilities.
ARMS deserves to be busted. Like I said before, I can totally see them using different Arms for different attacks in this game. Would be a great way to show off the variety of Arms from ARMS.

I can also see something like pressing the special button changes arms on the fly in battle. Similar to Monado change with Shulk.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I wish they'd at least said with character it was though...
Same. The reveal was so unhype that I'm actually less sold on the idea now. I was genuinely excited about an ARMS character before, how did they even do that?

The ARMS character is just Little Mac with a pack of stretchy hand toys.
This is the good thing about ARMS characters coming in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Little Mac fans don't have to feel like their character was replaced because he's still in the game.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Aside from the Arms rep which is already an "I sleep" pick.
Shantae is okay
Rex and Pyra, I sleep
Geno is cool
Isaac is okay
Rayman is okay

Overall just meh...
i gotta i agree. id be sleep on all of those except rex and pyra because gameplay from them could be interesting. but after all the third party excitement this would be a letdown.

does anyone know a lot about arms? i know each character has unique traits? what are they that could give a good indication on which one is most likely.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Can we please pretend that my embarassing post on the first page of this thread was finally vindicated?

I'm not personally that excited for an ARMS character, but its effects on potential promotions could be pretty big, and the more options we can discuss going forward the better. It's also nice to know that it'll be released in June, if only because we now know when the Pass will actually begin.

Other than that the Direct was kinda underwhelming, which I guess was to be expected since it turned out to be a Mini one, but for the moment I still don't have any new games that I plan to buy for my Switch this year. Hopefully whatever they do in place of E3 will change that.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
After this new information, here's my updated FP2 prediction.
fighterspass2guess3(edea).png

Coyle - Big part of ARMS lore, yadda yadda yadda. I've given this spheal five times today.

Dante - Even if this is generally gonna be a calmer pass than the last one, we need a few big names. Dante fits the bill - he's a popular character from a popular series. Capcom's been playing very nice with smash, so getting Dante shouldn't be a hassle. "E3" reveal.

Bravely Default Rep - Nintendo will probably want to promote something or other, and with a new Bravely Default coming soon, it's a prime choice. I know I have Agnes on the picture, but it's probably either a BD2 rep or a Hero situation, with two from the first two games and two from 2. Probably the character Sakurai was talking about in CoroCoro.

Grovyle - with an enhanced focus on first parties, there's one subseries that I think got even liklier: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. It didn't get a spirit event, and the remake did very well. Nintendo and Game Freak might want to make sure it stays on this trajectory, and a promotional rep would help with this. Grovyle is almost the Cloud of the series: the main character of the most popular game, so he's the obvious choice.

Steve - Minecraft is huge, and with Microsoft already on the table, it's biggest obstacle is out of the way. While not revolutionary to us, it would be massive to casuals, likely doubling sales the day he's revealed. He'd have a terraforming gimmick.

Waluigi - The "Banjo" of the pass, the character that convinces the core fanbase to buy it. He's a very "meta" character, think Deadpool in MVC.

These characters can be shuffled about in pretty much any way.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Here's my thinking on who it is:
  • If it's a solo character, it won't be Spring Man or Ribbon Girl.
    • If spirits disconfirm, it's Max Brass
    • If not, it's either Twintelle, or Min Min. I'm leaning towards Twintelle.
  • If it's an Echo Fighter bundle or something, I think it'll be Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min.
What about Dr. Coyle?!

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I'm pretty hyped for an ARMS rep, I was kinda surprised that one wasn't in the base game but better late than never.

I'm personally hoping it's Twintelle

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Spring Man (who’s also an AT, weirdly enough his AT doesn’t appear in his Spirit battle), Ribbon Girl (who’s also a costume), Ninjara, Min Min, Twintelle

i don’t recall if Lola Pop or Helix had Spirits. I know for SURE that Mechanica and Dr. Coyle don’t
Thanks, given that we are getting a new Spirit board its at least safe to say we should have the complete cast as Spirits at least. If they aren't upgrading Spirits or AT then it seems they would have to pick one of the less recognizable and known characters from Arms since Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, aad Twintelle are already in the game in some form. So needless to say whoever they pick will be interesting and possibly give us a good idea what they are going for most of the characters for FP2 similar to how Joker did that for FP1.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To clarify btw, I’m not saying characters like Rex, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Isaac, or Waluigi CAN’T happen. They could, especially if upgrades are on the table.

The thing of it is though, the line of reasoning for each character doesn’t necessarily guarantee that. It also doesn’t make any other character suddenly more likely than another. This was a reveal that gave us answers, but also gave us more questions.

It’s a bit hasty to look at a character like Rex as a Nintendo pick. I would love him in Smash. However, if Nintendo is picking, it doesn’t seem like the same situation. He’s from the second, now “old” game in the series, and we have a XCDE game coming out with a focus on the dude who’s already in Smash. Nintendo would have to pick him, not Sakurai.

Waluigi is Waluigi, so I could see him down the line potentially.

Lastly, I will say this. One way to add toxicity to a community that would be much better without it is to create this illusion of “teams” with ideas of how the roster will pan out. I, personally, am so ****ing sick of team mentality in society today. It puts people against each other and then makes things a competition, when really all we want to do is exchange ideas about Smash. I’ve already seen some comments about how, “Look at these people in denial! It’s hilarious!”, and other such stuff.

Really?

I put my opinions out there, they’ve been incorrect. Despite that, many folks like my comments and/or agree. Why is that? If I had to wager a guess, it’s because even when I’m wrong, the way I communicate my ideas is clear, thoughtful, and convincing to people. I’m rarely rude (only if I feel I’ve been slighted in the first place), but I will admit I get passionate about Smash. It’s, like, my favorite thing.

There’s no reason for anybody to start bragging about anything. Be a good person, this isn’t a team vs. team type of thing. This is for fun. Enjoy Smash. Even though I didn’t expect ARMS in Smash, I’m hyped, and fully expecting an upgrade (as part of a greater picture, granted).

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I Want Geno; I want Heihachi Mishima; I Want Crash Bandicoot; I Want Bandana Waddle Dee & Travis Touchdown!!
If those were the other five characters in the Fighters Pass, I'd definitely be happy with that line-up.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I don't think she should be the sole representative of the series, and she doesn't fit the body type of the most likely candidates. They could choose her though.
She has these things Going for her;
1. She's not another Male Fighter
2. She's a VILLAIN, and the Main Antagonist of ARMS, as she created Helix, She created Hedlock, and Created Springtron

BTW Here's my NEW List for Fighters pass 2;

Challenger Pack 6: Dr. Coyle(We Need more Villains in Smash)
Challenger Pack 7: Heihachi Mishima
Challenger Pack 8: Crash Bandicoot
Challenger Pack 9: Travis Touchdown
Challenger Pack 10: Bandana Waddle Dee
Challenger Pack 11: Geno(Might as well as save the best for Last)

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Did a quick breakdown of ARMS content in Smash in the RTC thread I thought i should share here. Really interesting situation developing here with multiple roadblocks potentially falling in June once we find out who the character is

Ok, so to help people with their chance scores, I did some research and here's what's Arms related in Smash right now

Stages - Nothing, obviously. Excited to get one of these in and hope we get an announcer screaming KO every time someone dies

Music - Also nothing according to Smash wiki. Odd, but I guess that's going to get taken care of now

ATs - Spring Man only, so that that as you will

Mii Costumes - Spring Man and Ribbon Girl masks

Spirits - Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Twintelle, Ninjara

So there we go. Could get our first AT or spirit upgrade in June. Not a lot of content in the game as well, so that fairs well for characters who have basically nothing and could possibly resurrect someone like Akira if a spirit gets brought back since. Still feel the same on someone like Dixie who already has a metric crapton of stuff in the game from her series, and this is still a new playable series in the game as well, which 5/6 have been so far.

And for discussions sake, here are the ARMS fighters with nothing in the game:
Master Mummy
Mechanica
Kid Cobra
Byte and Barq
Helix
Max Brass
Lola Pop
Misango
Springtron
Dr. Coyle

Any front runners in there? Unsure really. Solid maybe to Helix, Springtron, and Kid Cobra I guess?

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Did a quick breakdown of ARMS content in Smash in the RTC thread I thought i should share here. Really interesting situation developing here with multiple roadblocks potentially falling in June once we find out who the character is
To go with the Whole Heroes vs Villains thing; why not add the First Villainous DLC character as Dr. Coyle?!

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
After today's reveal, I think a new Xenoblade rep has the best chance now, being either Rex (if said Arms fighter is a Spirit upgrade) or Jin (a character who isn't in the game in some form already)

I.D.

Smash Lord
It’s a bit hasty to look at a character like Rex as a Nintendo pick. I would love him in Smash. However, if Nintendo is picking, it doesn’t seem like the same situation. He’s from the second, now “old” game in the series, and we have a XCDE game coming out with a focus on the dude who’s already in Smash. Nintendo would have to pick him, not Sakurai.
The Xenoblade trailer from today contained references to XB2 that were not present in the original.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking it's either going to be:

- A Hero situation, with Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min-Min and Ninjara. They were some the first characters introduced, so it's only fair (if fair is even a thing in Smash), and it would please the most people. Additionally, their character models and their game play styles aren't so drastically different as to not allow for them to overlap (e.g., Twintelle would require tweaking animations and Master Mummy would require tweaking the character model); OR,

- It's Twintelle. She's by far the most popular character on the game (for some because of her...um...let's say "properties"...).

Either way, I see this as a win. No matter what character is added, we break some kind of prediction convention. I think one thing is for sure: these characters were decided after the game and it's initial DLC were planned. I think this truly could be Sakurai's love letter to fans. In my mind, ARMS shows that games that were developed concurrently with Ultimate aren't out of the running, so Rex/Pyra have another chance. It shows that he is willing to expand franchises only represented by assist trophies, so that means upgrades like Isaac or additions like Matthew for games like Golden Sun. Lastly, it also means that spirits don't necessarily deconfirm anything, which gives hope for Geno folk.

I'm pumped.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, given that we are getting a new Spirit board its at least safe to say we should have the complete cast as Spirits at least. If they aren't upgrading Spirits or AT then it seems they would have to pick one of the less recognizable and known characters from Arms since Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, aad Twintelle are already in the game in some form. So needless to say whoever they pick will be interesting and possibly give us a good idea what they are going for most of the characters for FP2 similar to how Joker did that for FP1.
Like If It's Doctor Coyle; We'll mostly get Villains?

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
To go with the Whole Heroes vs Villains thing; why not add the First Villainous DLC character as Dr. Coyle?!
I acutally never made it far enough in the game to know he was the main villian, but that's a really good point and makes him a lot more likely in my eyes

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
After today's reveal, I think a new Xenoblade rep has the best chance now, being either Rex (if said Arms fighter is a Spirit upgrade) or Jin (a character who isn't in the game in some form already)
If Spirit Upgrade, Elma or Fiora are also choices

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm hoping for Min Min or Twintelle.
Expecting Spring Man, with maybe Ribbon Girl as an Echo.

"Very likely"? Aren't only half of the fighters spirits?
Yeah, but like the 5 most popular characters are the ones that are Spirits. So unless Sakurai goes out of his way to pick someone nobody cares about JUST to avoid picking a Spirit, a spirit promotion seems pretty likely.

And with today so ends people trying to downplay ARMS.
And with it, one of the only 3 Nintendo characters on My Top 30 most wanted characters, dies!

I wonder who I should add in now...

Either:
A.) they haven't chosen yet (not likely)
B.) it's a hero/jr. situation
C.) they wanna **** with us
Or they just don't want to announce it without a CGI trailer, which isn't finished yet.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
If they make a CGI trailer for the ARMS fighter, I have a feeling it will be about the ARMS roster fighting for the invitation.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
if not her then Twintelle because the Bayonetta glitch might be a reference to her
Doesn’t Twintelle also have an ability in ARMS that is like Bayonetta’s witch time where she can slow down attacks? May be totally off as it’s been a while since I played.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The Xenoblade trailer from today contained references to XB2 that were not present in the original.
I’m not convinced that those particular references would mean Rex would be in Smash.

Thank you for mentioning that though, that’s quite interesting.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Doesn’t Twintelle also have an ability in ARMS that is like Bayonetta’s witch time where she can slow down attacks? May be totally off as it’s been a while since I played.
Taken from ARMS Wiki:
Her abilities include slowing incoming attacks while dashing and charging her punches in mid-air by holding the dash button. While charging, she can quickly move when she attacks to dodge any punches that are slowed down.
I’d say so?

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I’m not convinced that those particular references would mean Rex would be in Smash.

Thank you for mentioning that though, that’s quite interesting.
What references to XC2; The Only thing I Saw that was in XC2 in XC:DE for Nintendo Switch; was the same Artstyle used in xenoblade chronicles 2, having Shulk & the rest of the characters looking more like the Anime-esque Stylized characters of XC2,

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
To clarify btw, I’m not saying characters like Rex, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Isaac, or Waluigi CAN’T happen. They could, especially if upgrades are on the table.

The thing of it is though, the line of reasoning for each character doesn’t necessarily guarantee that. It also doesn’t make any other character suddenly more likely than another. This was a reveal that gave us answers, but also gave us more questions.

Waluigi is Waluigi, so I could see him down the line potentially.

Lastly, I will say this. One way to add toxicity to a community that would be much better without it is to create this illusion of “teams” with ideas of how the roster will pan out. I, personally, am so ****ing sick of team mentality in society today. It puts people against each other and then makes things a competition, when really all we want to do is exchange ideas about Smash. I’ve already seen some comments about how, “Look at these people in denial! It’s hilarious!”, and other such stuff.

Really?

I put my opinions out there, they’ve been incorrect. Despite that, many folks like my comment and/or agree. Why is that? If I had to wager a guess, it’s because even when I’m wrong, the way I communicate my ideas is clear, thoughtful, and convincing to people. I’m rarely rude (often only if I feel I’ve been slighted in the first place), but I will admit I get passionate about Smash. It’s, like, my favorite thing.

There’s no reason for anybody to start bragging about anything. Be a good person, this isn’t a team vs. team type of thing. This is for fun. Enjoy Smash. Even though I didn’t expect ARMS in Smash, I’m hyped, and fully expecting an upgrade (as part of a greater picture, granted).
I think you're overanalyzing this. After two first-parties in a row, one of which who comes from a game that had no content in Smash, the other coming from a game that had both an AT and several Spirits, it's pointless trying to pull out a pattern and explain what Nintendo/Sakurai is thinking.

That being said, I don't understand your logic for Rex and how XC2 might be too old. Unless ARMS 2 is right around the corner, there was no real reason for Nintendo to promote ARMS, a game that's nearing its three year anniversary, in this DLC. It's even older than XC2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom