• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Correction: Adding a new humanoid starter Pokemon just to have one from the latest gen.
And there's a bit more to it than "ugh, another starter". I prefer the playstyles of :ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer: in terms of Pokemon, so Rillaboom wouldn't seem like a fun character to me, and I imagine it'd get ****ed competitively just like it did in Google's poll.
My point is this.

Why is it okay to not want a character archetype if that archetype is "humanoid starter" but it's not okay if that archetype is "Pokémon character?"

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Remember, Wynn refuses to believe Hero got in for reasons besides promoting DQXIS.
I'm pretty sure the only DLC character who wasn't a request so far was Plant.

I'm sure this season will have just as much requested characters even if they aren't the big heavy hitters (pls give me Kiryu Sega)

Tots Woz

Hey y'all, Scott here!
Hey all, Scott here! I haven't been posting here all too much, so I wanna break that a tiny bit by posting a question for the forum.

What do y'all think for a reveal for a March 26th Nintendo Direct? Beginning, middle or end of Direct, who it is, can apply to anything!

Thinking near-ish the latter half of the middle of the Direct and someone on lists that flew by everyone.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hey all, Scott here! I haven't been posting here all too much, so I wanna break that a tiny bit by posting a question for the forum.

What do y'all think for a reveal for a March 26th Nintendo Direct? Beginning, middle or end of Direct, who it is, can apply to anything!

Thinking near-ish the latter half of the middle of the Direct and someone on lists that flew by everyone.
Iirc most character reveals are at the start or the end of a direct. I think they appear more often at the start than the end as well. As for who it is, I think it will be someone with at least a decent amount of popularity in most regions. I could definitly see someone like Dante, Steve, or Sora, but with how much sense they make to me it'll probably be someone else. lol

EDIT: If they do a double reveal, I could see both characters having more regional appeal, like Master Chief and Arle.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Why is it okay to not want a character archetype if that archetype is "humanoid starter" but it's not okay if that archetype is "Pokémon character?"
When I say I don't want them continue the :ultgreninja::ultincineroar: pattern, I don't rally behind Rillaboom/Cinderace/Inteleon. When someone wants to avoid adding more Pokemon because of its high rep count, they don't stick exclusively to series with low rep counts/none at all.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Let me toss in a hypothetical to gauge reactions.

We get a Pokémon in the Fighter Pass, but it's NOT a Galar Pokémon. Instead, it's an older Pokémon that's recently gotten quite a bit of promotion, and would actually be a spirit promotion: Gengar.

It currently has a sizable role in the anime, having had a small recurring role before being caught by Ash (similar to Litten), and has remained one of the single most popular Pokémon after all these years (getting tenth place in the 2020 Pokémon poll, and outranking every Kanto Mon besides Charizard...yes, even beating Pikachu and Mewtwo).

Assume Gengar got in. How would you feel?
Eh. Gengar is one of about 3 Gen 1 Pokemon I don't mind, but there are other ghosts I'd prefer, like Decidueye, A-Marowak, and Dusknoir.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

We get a Pokémon in the Fighter Pass, but it's NOT a Galar Pokémon. Instead, it's an older Pokémon that's recently gotten quite a bit of promotion, and would actually be a spirit promotion: Gengar.

It currently has a sizable role in the anime, having had a small recurring role before being caught by Ash (similar to Litten), and has remained one of the single most popular Pokémon after all these years (getting tenth place in the 2020 Pokémon poll, and outranking every Kanto Mon besides Charizard...yes, even beating Pikachu and Mewtwo).

Gengar is pretty cool, I think a devious ghost character like him or King Boo could be a lot of fun to play as.

It would be kind of odd to see Gengar represent Sword/Shield content, unless the spirits and stage wouldn’t be for the newest game. I guess they could have his Gigamax form be a final smash.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Hey Scott, all here! I think we'll for sure get our first character reveal for Vol.2 in this Direct. Given how long it's been, given how we have no idea what this new pass will be like, and given that the physical cards come out on the 23rd, we're for sure getting FP6 revealed then.

In terms of timing, I've little reason to doubt it'll be revealed at or near the end of the Direct. This is pretty typical for Smash reveals, y'know, to close out with a bang and all. When it comes to who I think it'll be, there are three names that spring to mind:
  1. Dante. As I mentioned earlier, he's a very "vanilla" character, a character who few were seriously jonesing for, but whom nobody would be upset to see get in. The general crowdpleaser, and a perfect character to kick off Vol.2 with a bang. Also, given that we were told that his games would have to be on Nintendo consoles first before he gets in followed by the first three games seeing release, I wouldn't put it past them to put him in at some point.
  2. Crash Bandicoot. Another general crowdpleaser who nobody would be complaining about seeing get in, and one who would certainly set a tone for the rest of Vol.2. That said, he might be a bit too strong a pick for this Direct, being as big of a deal as he is. Still could happen, though.
  3. Geno. More wishful thinking than anything, though I wouldn't be too suprised to see him get revealed here. Either here or at E3 within the smoking crater that used to be E3. R.I.P.

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
The prevailing thought was pretty much always "if it's not all third party, then Three Houses has a good shot" and this was even before a second pass was announced. "Three Houses would only be on the second pass, not the first" wasn't a thing before the second pass was announced.

It really wasn't unexpected, at least not to the extent that some people would have you believe.
I remember people saying KOS-MOS was gonna be revealed at the game awards, and then jumping into Dante being fighter 5 Bc of some tweet, and then hella people being tight on who actually ended up being fighter #5

but regardless, I fully expect Vol. 2 to be filled with characters that are gonna catch people off guard

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Dante's a very "vanilla" sort of character, the kind of character whose generally recognizable even if you've never played his games, a character who few are really hardcore clamoring for, but one that even fewer people would take issue with because... well, he's just cool. A lot like Joker and Terry, really.
You kidding me? Dante is one of the top "no-brainer" 3rd party characters. Vinny Vinesauce, Maximilian Dood and plenty more. People have been hardcore clamoring for him ever since DMC came to Switch and that Kamiya tweet about Smash. It's a straight up dream for a lot of people to have Bayonetta be able to fight Dante.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
There is only one thing that can save us from this Fire Emblem talk: a Fun Forum Game™. Click this link, whoever you get is the first character in FP6. Even if it is the credits to the Minish Cap.
https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Random
I got... the bannana cup.
I got DK's Up-B.

So I guess we're looking at Baboom or something
Just discovered Okami 2 was almost in development but got cancelled

View attachment 265703

RIP Amaterasu
Wait, you got a source?

I mean, if people think characters are “the same” because of one or two things that are similar then...they’re still not correct.

They’re just ignorant.

Like, I understand the fact that the Fire Emblem cast in Smash has similarities. For Lucina, Chrom, and Roy (to an extent), that’s literally by design. However, considering we are supposed to actively play this video game, titled Super Smash Bros Ultimate for Nintendo Switch, judging a character entirely by visuals is judging the book by its cover, and is inherently ignorant.

Fire Emblem salt (because that’s basically what it is now) is obnoxious. I’m not one to say it usually, but...get over it.

I really don’t know what else to say. Being salty about characters that are programmed into Smash and will not be removed isn’t going to get them removed. Unless you’re going to sell the game and choose to not actually play it, quit complaining and do something productive/change the subject.

It’s like shouting negativity into the void for no productive reason. They’re fictional characters in a game that you willfully choose to play. You can beat them up, you can choose not to use them.

Simply stating you disagree with the decision is one thing. But going on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on about it...it’s whining. You’re not offering solutions, so it’s whining.

Get over it.
I think the main idea is that a big enough backlash will spur Nintendo into making changes in their choices. Not even as an expectation, but as a hope it's tempting.

It costs zero effort to complain, it could theoretically lead to a more desirable result for the complainer, and even if it isn't it's highly cathartic. I honestly don't think it's that big a deal. Can't you just ignore it?

I wonder if public domain songs or compositions could actually get in Smash.

We kinda already have a Mozart symphony in Smash through the Mario Bros theme remix, so what if we got to see stuff such as Night On Bald Mountain in the future through one way or another?

Kinda a really unlikely thing, but still a thing I do wonder about a bit.
Forget Sora, we're getting a Disney rep and it's Chernabog.

Seriously though I'd only expect it if it's part of a videogame's soundtrack.

I'm kinda tired of so many Pokemon but I gotta admit that Gengar does show a complete 180° in the way Pokemon are selected, so even if I'm not a huge fan of Gengar itself, I'll be happy.

Instant main

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I got another interesting question.
what character would you like/love to see that originated from the past decades staring from
the 1980s to the 2010s?
here's my list
1980s:Ryu Hayabusa(Ninja Gaiden).
1990s:Spyro the Dragon.
2000s:a Sim(The Sims).
2010s:Knack.
Kind of tricky to leave it only one character per decade. I mostly say that because I can think of like 10 characters from the 90's I'd be happy to see. But I'll try.

1980's: Ryu Hayabusa
1990's: Lara Croft
2000's: Mega Man.EXE
2010's: Elma

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So, using the power of math and research that has taken over several months to do, here's a graph of all the possible release dates for Fighter 6!

Graph with no sd, with all resid.png

If you're curious, this is a mass set of calculations I did based around Amiibo Theory. I then organized the data, and graphed how frequently each piece of data appeared.

Looking at this graph the two highest dates are April 17th and April 29th. April 17th is the current next amiibo restock, so it makes sense why it's so high since it's a very, very safe bet statistically. April 29th is also high for some reason. Which is neat.

Again, this stuff is mainly just for fun and I would not take any stock into this whatsoever. This could very well be wrong, and I even think it's likely to be wrong.

Either way, if you're curious on how this was accomplished, check out the spoiler tab down below for more info!
Hey guys! So some of you might remember I've been working on ways to potentially predict, or help predict, character release dates using equations based on mathematical models. Models that are using the principle of Amiibo Theory. Sound like a mouthful, but it's pretty straight forward.

Well, I decided to push it to the absolute limit. Currently, there are three equations based on each region (North America, Europe and Japan). These equations are basically a trendline that goes in-between the listed data points. A way to potentially make a prediction just a bit more accurate is by measuring the difference in length from the trendline, to the actual data point. This is known as a residual.

Traditionally, you would find an "average" residual through the process of Standard Deviation (basically squaring all numbers, dividing by the number of terms, then square rooting it) and use that as sort of the "default" or "universal" residual. You would then make two equations that adds, or subtracts the residual from the final term (as realistically, it could end up above or below the curve.)

Well, I decided that, instead of using the standard deviation, I would calculate a final result with every single residual in both the positive and negative direction. This was done for all three regions as well. Resulting in 42 calculations.

However, I didn't end there. Turns out, I was able to find another formula. This formula, is oddly more straight forward compared to the others. Considering both the input and the output share the same units (I.E days), you can find the difference in days from amiibo to character release, and use that as a basis for another formula.

This formula also had positive and negative possibilities. This brings the total to 78 calculations that were done.

I then recorded every single output and graphed how many times a value repeated. Which is how you got the graph you see in this post!

Truth be told, I'm actually working on a thesis about this stuff. So if you have any questions about this, I'll do my best to answer them. However, without the thesis being completed yet, it might be a tad difficult.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

I'm sure this season will have just as much requested characters even if they aren't the big heavy hitters (pls give me Kiryu Sega)
Every character that ever existed is requested by atleast someone, including Piranha Plant. If you look hard enough you'll find someone who legit requested Bubsy. So by proxy any character added will be considered a requested character.

Remember, Wynn refuses to believe Hero got in for reasons besides promoting DQXIS.
There totally can't be multiple reasons for why a character gets added in. No no no no, it can only be one reason, no way in hell it can be both promoting in the west and celebrating in Japan. That's just too outrageous.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st

Joker and Byleth both didn't exist when Nintendo took tally of requests.
Methinks Banjo was probably the last ballot character they're adding, unless Travis gets in because NMH3.

Dante's a very "vanilla" sort of character, the kind of character whose generally recognizable even if you've never played his games, a character who few are really hardcore clamoring for
Have you forgotten how the internet blew up when we thought Dante was was getting in? His reveal wouldn't won't have the same 'meh' reaction as Terry, nor the same 'that's cool, I guess' reaction as Joker. Dante in smash will crush the internet, as much as Banjo did.

D

Deleted member

If we ever get that Indie Direct for next week, dear God are we gonna start doing rave parties here.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Video games are pretty cool. Anyone got obscure weirdo characters they'd want, even if you know it won't happen. I obviously got major/mainstream stuff I'd like to see.

It'd be kind of cool to see Raziel actually be remembered in some fashion again. He's got a really cool design. Though I'm not sure how the soul absorption mechanic would play out. Unless he makes enemies drop a specific resource he can absorb.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
FE hate always seemed pretty proportional to how much stuff it got in Smash to me. It was fine in Melee and Brawl, complaints started popping up in 4 and they've really hit their zenith with Ultimate DLC. It's not rocket science. Then again neither is the idea of relativity (like FE having RELATIVELY more representation than what the franchise deserves compared to Pokemon and Mario) but plenty of people just see numbers and get confused why Video Game Mickey Mouse and the world's biggest media franchise have lots of characters in a crossover game made by the owners of Video Game Mickey Mouse and partial owners of world's biggest media franchise.
People keep saying sales/popularity is proportional to how many reps a franchise 'deserves' and I don't think that's the case. FE has had a special connection with Smash ever since Melee, with Melee being basically the only reason FE is known about at all in the west, as well as having been a significant popularity boost for it in Japan. As such, there's a big overlap between Smash fans and FE fans -- especially in America -- and I think that's what justifies so many FE reps getting in.

D

Deleted member

So, using the power of math and research that has taken over several months to do, here's a graph of all the possible release dates for Fighter 6!

View attachment 265797

If you're curious, this is a mass set of calculations I did based around Amiibo Theory. I then organized the data, and graphed how frequently each piece of data appeared.

Looking at this graph the two highest dates are April 17th and April 29th. April 17th is the current next amiibo restock, so it makes sense why it's so high since it's a very, very safe bet statistically. April 29th is also high for some reason. Which is neat.

Again, this stuff is mainly just for fun and I would not take any stock into this whatsoever. This could very well be wrong, and I even think it's likely to be wrong.

Either way, if you're curious on how this was accomplished, check out the spoiler tab down below for more info!
Hey guys! So some of you might remember I've been working on ways to potentially predict, or help predict, character release dates using equations based on mathematical models. Models that are using the principle of Amiibo Theory. Sound like a mouthful, but it's pretty straight forward.

Well, I decided to push it to the absolute limit. Currently, there are three equations based on each region (North America, Europe and Japan). These equations are basically a trendline that goes in-between the listed data points. A way to potentially make a prediction just a bit more accurate is by measuring the difference in length from the trendline, to the actual data point. This is known as a residual.

Traditionally, you would find an "average" residual through the process of Standard Deviation (basically squaring all numbers, dividing by the number of terms, then square rooting it) and use that as sort of the "default" or "universal" residual. You would then make two equations that adds, or subtracts the residual from the final term (as realistically, it could end up above or below the curve.)

Well, I decided that, instead of using the standard deviation, I would calculate a final result with every single residual in both the positive and negative direction. This was done for all three regions as well. Resulting in 42 calculations.

However, I didn't end there. Turns out, I was able to find another formula. This formula, is oddly more straight forward compared to the others. Considering both the input and the output share the same units (I.E days), you can find the difference in days from amiibo to character release, and use that as a basis for another formula.

This formula also had positive and negative possibilities. This brings the total to 78 calculations that were done.

I then recorded every single output and graphed how many times a value repeated. Which is how you got the graph you see in this post!

Truth be told, I'm actually working on a thesis about this stuff. So if you have any questions about this, I'll do my best to answer them. However, without the thesis being completed yet, it might be a tad difficult.
So in other words...

Just kidding, I fully understood the entire thing.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
People DO realize that Dante's games getting ported was due to his Smash popularity right? Dante became a speculation frontrunner in 2018, long before his games made it on to the Switch, with Itsuno saying "If you want Dante in Smash, ask for DMC on Nintendo" before the first game got ported. Dante's a rather unique example of a character with little to no Nintendo association getting Nintendo association due to his immense Smash popularity instead of the getting populairty justified by the Nintendo associations

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Video games are pretty cool. Anyone got obscure weirdo characters they'd want, even if you know it won't happen. I obviously got major/mainstream stuff I'd like to see.
If we're going for really obscure characters...

Ark! The protagonist of Terranigma for the Super Nintendo created by Square Enix!

207307-ark.jpg

Deep in the underworld lies a secluded and humble village of Crysta. Ark, a rebellious teenager breaks down a door that his Grandpa told him never to open. After breaking and entering, he finds a mysterious box containing a creature called Yomi who thanks the young boy and with a little back and forth banter between the two, he joins up with him and teaches him how to use the box. However while this is going on, the residence of his town suddenly crystallise and there is now a way out of the village. He ventures off to find 5 towers to revive the townsfolk. However the Elder informs him that since the mysterious box was opened, the world above has perished. Feeling responsible for his actions, Ark takes a leap of faith into the grounded portal to the hellish aftermath of the overworld. With snarky, wise cracking Yomi by his side as his only company, Ark's adventure begins!

Ark is a spear user who uses many kinds of spears during his journey across the globe but the first one he uses for the trials of the underworld is the CrySpear (Crystal Spear). This Spear heals Ark up by 1hp overtime but only works in the underworld. Ark uses the Spear within his four main attacks as shown below.

Rapid jab
Ark Rapid Jab.gif

Dash Attack
Ark Dash Attack.gif

Neutral Aerial
Ark Neutral Aerial.gif

Forward Aerial?
Ark Forward Aerial.gif

Not only that but he can use elemental rings to allow him to use magic attacks. I don't have gifs for these because I never really had any use for them when I was playing the game but they're more options for Ark to use.

Ark is a really cool character but since the game never got re-released outside of the Super Nintendo and he has many, many Square Enix characters to compete with, he is one of those long shot characters that will probably never see the light of day ever again and it's a shame because he's awesome and his character develops as the Story progresses.

Oh well...

PSIGuy

Smash Lord

It'd be kind of cool to see Raziel actually be remembered in some fashion again. He's got a really cool design. Though I'm not sure how the soul absorption mechanic would play out. Unless he makes enemies drop a specific resource he can absorb.
Popful Mail is the ultimate Falcom rep, don't @ me. Bonus points if the English version keeps all the localization changes, right down to the dated references in the dialogue. Some aged better than they should've.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Zack and Wiki. They're pirates, balancing out the Ninjas, they're point and click characters, and they have a lot of creative attacks from all the different items and for their final Smash they can turn all the other characters into cylinders and toss them off the side.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Marina Liteyears has always been my obscure pick ever since I was a kid playing Smash 64. Recently though I've grown really fond of the idea of Okabe from Steins;Gate being in. It's one of the best VNs out there and Okabe (with Kurisu) could have a really unusual and fun moveset, complete with time mechanics and gadgets.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

A character who's made of liquid itself, either Chaos from Sonic or The Ooze from SEGA would be cool to play as.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Phi Zero escape because she's one of the few characters from that franchise to actively fight people

Eldrake

Smash Lord
People DO realize that Dante's games getting ported was due to his Smash popularity right? Dante became a speculation frontrunner in 2018, long before his games made it on to the Switch, with Itsuno saying "If you want Dante in Smash, ask for DMC on Nintendo" before the first game got ported. Dante's a rather unique example of a character with little to no Nintendo association getting Nintendo association due to his immense Smash popularity instead of the getting populairty justified by the Nintendo associations
I'm still convinced that Dante's smash popularity was the long-term plan of the DMC5 leaker.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
God, Sol Badguy in Smash would be so ****ing cool.

If he's implemented as faithfully as Ryu/Ken and Terry, he could be have all of the lethality and hype of Smash 4 Bayo, but with none of the bull**** and an actual skill floor.

He could pull the death combos and 'your combo is now my combo' plays that Bayo could, but he'd need to build meter, properly time and execute Roman cancels, and do combos using special cancels and command inputs, as opposed to Witchtime and death combos being free (he also wouldn't have gun neutral).

When you factor in that to build meter, he would have to constantly play aggressively, and I think you have a recipe for possibly the most hype character in Smash history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom