• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
:ultwario: definitely counts as a Mario character even if he's listed under his own games.
Well that certainly doesn't mean DK, Diddy, and K. Rool are Mario characters though. Technically, Mario is a DK character because the Mario series is actually a spin off of the DK arcade series if you think about it.

D

Deleted member

Well that certainly doesn't mean DK, Diddy, and K. Rool are Mario characters though. Technically, Mario is a DK character because the Mario series is actually a spin off of the DK arcade series if you think about it.
It's an odd history because they're both super iconic characters, but I think we can safely say the original Donkey Kong is Mario's game given you play as the Jumpman himself now known as Mario. That argument doesn't really work, especially when DK is a prominant Mario spinoff character but Mario doesn't really care about the DKC antics. This applies to Wario too, who is more concretely a Mario character because he originated and still stars in Mario games.

Meanwhile, Diddy and K. Rool are part of the DKC series because they literally originated from it. In the same way Ashley would be an exclusive WarioWare character.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
This is understandable given the recent events regarding COVID-19. If we do get a Direct this month, we won't have the crowd reactions like we had in the past, but safety is the most important thing right now.
Good. They lost their hype privelages after their disappointing Byleth display.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
"How DARE the people who get excited about literally everything be less excited than usual about this thing!"

I think that says more about the reveal itself than the people reacting.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Forcing people to love Byleth is just as toxic as discarding any popularity/moveset potential an FE charcter has because they're FE.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's an odd history because they're both super iconic characters, but I think we can safely say the original Donkey Kong is Mario's game given you play as the Jumpman himself now known as Mario. That argument doesn't really work, especially when DK is a prominant Mario spinoff character but Mario doesn't really care about the DKC antics. This applies to Wario too, who is more concretely a Mario character because he originated and still stars in Mario games.

Meanwhile, Diddy and K. Rool are part of the DKC series because they literally originated from it. In the same way Ashley would be an exclusive WarioWare character.
Actually the original arcade Donkey Kong is DK's game more than Mario's. 75M is listed under the DK franchise in Smash not Mario.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
SKX31 SKX31 you may wanna have a look at this
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Yeeeah. That was (and is) a major league problem for the Chinese Switch. Up until Monday NSMBU was the only Switch game approved for official release there.

So the # of Switch games officially released in China is... three now. IIRC Odyssey and MK8DX was submitted to the Chinese authorities in July last year, same time as NSMBU, the approved game. NSMBU got approved in October, Odyssey and MK8DX now. More are in the pipeline (I have the full list on mobile, IIRC there have been 17 titles submitted so far), sure, but it should tell everything about how onerous SAPP (State Aministration of Press and Publication, China's CERO) is. PS4 SamSho also got its approval now, for the record.

Hardcore fans there were not happy in the slightest (especially when Odyssey and MK8DX were advertised when the Switch launched there in December.) And terms such as "martyrs" were thrown around quite a bit in Chinese social media when it came to the Chinese Switch. The saving grace was that the Chinese Switch can play imported titles (albeit without online - this is not an issue with single player titles). Wouldn't be surprised if the Ring Fit craze helped keep the Chinese Switch afloat. And that imported titles / Switches from JP / NA etc. are readily available on Chinese storefronts.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
There is only one thing that can save us from this Fire Emblem talk: a Fun Forum Game™. Click this link, whoever you get is the first character in FP6. Even if it is the credits to the Minish Cap.
https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Random
I got... the bannana cup.
I got Indiana Jones... after clicking seven times to get a good character.
https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Indiana_Jones

My biggest beef with a lot of the complaints comes down to basically a difference in mindset.

Sure, you can sit there and complain about Fire Emblem. But then again, what’s the point? There’s no control to be had over it. Why waste energy on something you simply can’t control?

What Smash fans can control, is their overall approach to the way they talk about things. Focus on the things that can be controlled. I can whine all day about the way my teaching schedule is going to be affected by Coronavirus (will likely have to teach digitally), or I can take on what I can control and make the best of it.

Likewise, while Smash fans don’t really have any control over who/what gets added to Smash as a playable character, there’s at least productive merit to talking about what may or may not be. Shouting into the void about things you don’t like simply isn’t productive because the act, “shouting into the void” has no measurable affect on the issue at hand, “grrr Fire Emblem”.

Then you have the bystanders who really just want to talk about Smash aside from Fire Emblem. But we can’t, because folks say things that frankly show their ignorance in not just Smash, but the source Fire Emblem games themselves.

It would also be different if all the complainers have tried/played Fire Emblem, but it becomes apparent almost all the time that they never gave it the time of day.

What a waste of time and energy!
So basically you're annoyed about Fire Emblem haters complaining about Fire Emblem so what you do in response is complain about Fire Emblem haters complaining about Fire Emblem? Because it looks like that's what you're doing.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
So basically you're annoyed about Fire Emblem haters complaining about Fire Emblem so what you do in response is complain about Fire Emblem haters complaining about Fire Emblem? Because it looks like that's what you're doing.
Don't make me reference the Bors Comic

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
If you guys don't like the discussion about Fire Emblem then complaining about the discussion isn't gonna stop it, it's only gonna incite more arguments. If you want to move on from the subject then propose a new topic to discuss instead of, ya know, participating in the discussion. :ohwell:

As a matter of fact here's something to talk about. According to leakers we might get a general direct in the next two weeks, if we're gonna get a reveal during this period then who do you all think the character could be?

Do you see the first character reveal to be someone from a mainstream S-tier franchise like Master Chief or Kratos? Or do you see the first reveal as someone from a more niche franchise? Do you see the first character reveal to be someone who might break a current popular fan rule? Do you think the first character might be a fan favorite requested character?

Discuss who you think might fit as the first character reveal and give your reasoning for it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
"How DARE the people who get excited about literally everything be less excited than usual about this thing!"

I think that says more about the reveal itself than the people reacting.
Forcing people to love Byleth is just as toxic as discarding any popularity/moveset potential an FE charcter has because they're FE.
Sorry. I was trying to make a joke about those guys. They really will get excited for just about anything...

D

Deleted member

Actually the original arcade Donkey Kong is DK's game more than Mario. 75M is listed under the DK franchise not Mario.
Yeah that's pretty weird and I don't really know why they did that. Would have made more sense to merge Mario Bros. and 75m with the other Other tracks like with Dunk Hunt and whatnot, but I digress.

We know what Smash thinks, but let's get a general perspective over this. Is the 1994 remake of Donkey Kong considered a Donkey Kong series game? Likewise, is the Mario vs. Donkey Kong spinoff series a part of the Donkey Kong Country universe? It's clear Nintendo overall sees Mario's rivalry with the 2-ton gorilla as a Mario issue and not a Donkey Kong thing. Other than Country fans, no one's gonna think to themselves "It's Donkey Kong from Donkey Kong Country!" Likewise, the same will apply to Wario and his near-perfect record in spinoff appearances.

I don't wanna get too detailed over an argument on whether Mario and everything about it is a part of Donkey Kong's series. I don't even think you believe that. Everybody acknowledges Donkey Kong, Wario, and Yoshi as Mario characters despite them being able to stand on their own two feet. It's why Donkey Kong can appear in Rosalina's reveal trailer naturally (which was the one that had Mario characters racing on Rainbow Road), because he's in every Mario Kart game besides the SNES one.

Let's not even get into Waluigi, who's generally accepted as a Mario character--even by Smash Bros, but is the brother of Wario, and Wario is currently being argued by you as not a Mario representative. See the issue I'm pointing out? Wario is definitely a Mario character and he has a character literally based on his appearances in Mario games, despite Smash labeling Wario under his own series.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Do you see the first character reveal to be someone from a mainstream S-tier franchise like Master Chief or Kratos? Or do you see the first reveal as someone from a more niche franchise? Do you see the first character reveal to be someone who might break a current popular fan rule? Do you think the first character might be a fan favorite requested character?
I've said this before, but I believe one of the reasons for this second wave of DLC is that they couldn't respond to deconfirmation complaints the first time around. The Mii costume bundled with the pass feels like an example of this, by not being a character let alone a commonly wanted one.

With that said, I belive Waluigi/Isaac/Rex will be our opener.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I've said this before, but I believe one of the reasons for this second wave of DLC is that they couldn't respond to deconfirmation complaints the first time around. The Mii costume bundled with the pass feels like an example of this, by not being a character let alone a commonly wanted one.

With that said, I belive Waluigi/Isaac/Rex will be our opener.
Honestly, of those three, I think Rex makes the most sense. Apparently even Japan was upset at his Mii costume, which is a big deal because they're seemingly pretty chill when it comes to deconfirmations. By comparison, Waluigi and Isaac's outcry was more of a Western thing.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
If you guys don't like the discussion about Fire Emblem then complaining about the discussion isn't gonna stop it, it's only gonna incite more arguments. If you want to move on from the subject then propose a new topic to discuss instead of, ya know, participating in the discussion. :ohwell:

As a matter of fact here's something to talk about. According to leakers we might get a general direct in the next two weeks, if we're gonna get a reveal during this period then who do you all think the character could be?

Discuss who you think might fit as the first character reveal and give your reasoning for it.
I think it'd be a good idea to start off with a bang. This is a season pass that we don't know the contents of and what better way to get people to buy the pass then to unveil the first character and have it be a huge character or a very unexpected surprise (ala Joker). The second character would be wise to be a niche one to calm people down from the sheer shock of the first character unveil. Imagine it: If the first character for the season pass ends up being someone like Master Chief, people would buy the season pass in by the millions and millions just for him and the precedent he leaves for the other characters to try and follow.

As for who I think the first one might be, Dante has all the things in the world to be the best one to start things off. While Master Chief would be a HOLY ****** S*** level of reveal, I don't think he would be a safe pic for the first one. Dante is and even has the momentum from the first pass when everyone thought it would be him at the end plus the definitive edition of DMC3 on Switch.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Dante. Not just because I want him either.

He’s a great first pick to get people to buy in, coming in off of DMC3 on Switch with a definitive edition.

There are other reasons but for whatever reason, my brain just doesn’t really feel like working right now.

Droodle

Smash Lord

In terms of a marketing standpoint, a crossover with a big/relevant 3rd party series seems like the most obvious way to start off the fighters pass 2. 3rd party's tend to be talked about on a wider scale, and they bring in new fanbases with them. The character also has to be big enough that a lot of people will get re interested in Smash.

Who'll that be? I dunno, but I do have a couple guesses.

- Dante: Big, popularly requested, relevant. He would get a lot of people excited. Sorry, Phoenix Wright doesn't really have the pass-opening power that Dante would.

- Crash: A huge casual/hardcore fanbase. Would be seen as an "unofficial" playstation character. Pretty self explanatory.

- Sora: One of the biggest requests as of now. KH has a huge hardcore fanbase as well. Unlikely, but possible.

- Sephiroth: Maybe not heavily requested (outside of Japan), but he is THE JRPG VILLAIN, and his game is highly relevant to boot. I think Sephiroth honestly has the best shot on this list in terms "pass-opener" other then maybe Dante. I'm sorry 2B and Geno fans, but if I would have to place a bet on which SE character is next, it would be Sephiroth. As long as he comes with a good amount of tracks, I can't see Sephiroth being THAT divisive either.

- Eggman: Sure, Eggman may not be a huge request; but he is one of the most iconic villains, even characters, in gaming. He's Sonic version of Bowser. I think if he did start of the pass, reception would be mixed. I don't think the older fanbase would like him all too much, but I think he'd be highly popular with the kids. And with the Sonic movie, Eggman is also pretty relevant (although he was never irrelevant). I think he is one of the most underdiscussed "possible" choices.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
It's going to be really bad in New York. Especially as De Blasio isn't even planning to close the schools temporarily.

But on topic, the FE discussion will probably die down if FP6 is revealed in the rumored direct on the 26th.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I mean, if people think characters are “the same” because of one or two things that are similar then...they’re still not correct.

They’re just ignorant.

Like, I understand the fact that the Fire Emblem cast in Smash has similarities. For Lucina, Chrom, and Roy (to an extent), that’s literally by design. However, considering we are supposed to actively play this video game, titled Super Smash Bros Ultimate for Nintendo Switch, judging a character entirely by visuals is judging the book by its cover, and is inherently ignorant.

Fire Emblem salt (because that’s basically what it is now) is obnoxious. I’m not one to say it usually, but...get over it.

I really don’t know what else to say. Being salty about characters that are programmed into Smash and will not be removed isn’t going to get them removed. Unless you’re going to sell the game and choose to not actually play it, quit complaining and do something productive/change the subject.

It’s like shouting negativity into the void for no productive reason. They’re fictional characters in a game that you willfully choose to play. You can beat them up, you can choose not to use them.

Simply stating you disagree with the decision is one thing. But going on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on about it...it’s whining. You’re not offering solutions, so it’s whining.

Get over it.
Guess what, everyone is going to feel different about everything, that doesn't make opinions any less valid. If you're going to tell people to stop hating on something then it's completely fair to tell people to stop liking something.
Not everyone is going to like every single character in Smash Bros, but saying that voicing complaints is not productive is stupid because that implies saying postivite is somehow productive. Nothing written here will ever be considered productive, it's a message board where people just type what they think.
Ya'll got to remember is that people are always going to have different opinions and feel different when it comes to certain characters and series.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I feel like FP6 is gonna be a lot like Joker - a character who is very popular, but necessarily an "icon" like Cheif, Crash, or Steve. I'm leaning either Hayabusa or Dante.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Guess what, everyone is going to feel different about everything, that doesn't make opinions any less valid. If you're going to tell people to stop hating on something then it's completely fair to tell people to stop liking something.
Not everyone is going to like every single character in Smash Bros, but saying that voicing complaints is not productive is stupid because that implies saying postivite is somehow productive. Nothing written here will ever be considered productive, it's a message board where people just type what they think.
Ya'll got to remember is that people are always going to have different opinions and feel different when it comes to certain characters and series.
It seems you’re missing the overall message.

People have been complaining, I’d even say we’re past “complaining”, but now whining. For TWO MONTHS. OVER A VIDEO GAME.

Yes. We’re all here to waste time and “not be productive”. But it’s obnoxious when it comes to Fire Emblem. It’s more than just negative, it’s like...obsessive and negative. At some point you just have to let it go, and realize that ******** about it isn’t going to make a difference. All it does it drags folks down and not really take any conversations anywhere.

I’m done talking about after this post. The negativity with Fire Emblem, after kinda just sitting in this thread for an entire day, is tiring.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman

What I'm thinking for the first character in the pass is within one of two categories that has a character idea for each: A popular character who has plenty of star power to start out with a bang, or a character from a franchise that is more niche here in the west but is popular in Japan. Though there is also a chance that we may get a first party from a recent game, though it depends on how hard they got hit by a spirit event. Keep in mind that we don't know what direction this pass will take, as all we know is that there will be six characters chosen by Nintendo and the characters are coming with a stage and some music (based on the Japanese Smash site and a recent Famitsu column). I'll start with the former:

Last pass we started off with a bang with Joker taking over The Game Awards 2018 for a couple of minutes. A big third party is a great way to build up hype for DLC. A good example of a big name character is Dante. He has plenty of requests, is relevant especially since the series came back into the spotlight after DMC5's announcement, and has the star power and flair to kickstart the second Fighters Pass. While the first three games being the Switch doesn't mean that he's a lock, he is still a popular request due to how cool he is and the fact that he could be in the same game as his spiritual successor (Bayonetta). In terms of marketing, either he or another big name would be helpful for the sales of the Second Fighters Pass, especially as the first.

Niche is a term that I feel is pretty broad. Would the next character be from a series that is niche in the west but big in Japan? A character who I feel fits this category would be Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo. The series is not big here in the US, but the series is huge in Japan. I'd say it's somewhat like a puzzle game equivalent to Dragon Quest, minus the genre and controversial composer of course. Arle has been speculated a bit, and some might remember that one of the people who worked on Puyo Puyo retweeted the announcement for the previous Smash presentation. The series can benefit from being in Smash, allowing more promotion of the here in the west.

Keep in mind that these obviously aren't guaranteed, as we're in the dark for what to expect in the pass in general.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

Honestly I'm keeping my expectations in check because I know what happens when I don't lol so I'll go with probably a semi popular 3rd party to get people in the door someone like ryu or travis maybe even Lara

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Based on the cycle, we're due another rant about how assist trophies are the devil followed by first parties vs third parties and then "Can Spirits Promote? 123901848: Still the same as number 547" with the odd peppering of industry news with brief discussions about them.

D

Deleted member

I could share my google document where I showcase a possible moveset for Pauline as a fighter.

M@R!3

Smash Ace

The only thing I'm expecting from FP6 is selling power. What form that takes is completely unpredictable.

D

Deleted member

Based on the cycle, we're due another rant about how assist trophies are the devil followed by first parties vs third parties and then "Can Spirits Promote? 123901848: Still the same as number 547" with the odd peppering of industry news with brief discussions about them.
When do we get to hate fire emblem again?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
When do we get to hate fire emblem again?
Whenever we inevitably get another anime swordfighter.

Okay, real talk? Can people stop saying they don't want "another anime swordfighter" and just admit they don't want more Fire Emblem? A lot of those same people want Sora, 2B, Lloyd Irving, and Dante.

And yes, I consider Dante anime. What am I supposed to think he is, realistic?

D

Deleted member

This is honestly why I rarely participate in such discussions anymore.

And yet so many people are still chiming in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom