• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Calling people ignorant because they don't like how many similarities there are between several FE characters might be a little extreme.

I think any character(s) regardless of what franchise they're from would be subject to similar complaints from fans if Sakurai kept recycling the same moveset rather than look into creating clones of characters who don't have any. People weren't very happy with Fox/Falco/Wolf in Brawl, even if there were plenty of differences to separate themselves from each other outside the specials. I don't think anyone would object to Sakurai giving Link/Young Link/Toon Link a few more unique moves.

I know there are plenty of people who will criticize any FE character, but I consider Marth/Lucina/Roy/Chrom to be a somewhat more legitimate complaint.
Marth and Roy are at least as different as Fox and Falco are.

I don’t really see why folks complain as much about Lucina and Chrom because they were quite literally designed as clones. The point of them being in is because of similarities. Opting to not add them doesn’t magically get us a unique Dixie Kong or Bandanna Waddle Dee or something. The movesets are simple molds to base on.

I think the fact that it’s been literally two months of complaints that is wearing patience, at least for me. Mario, Luigi, and Dr. Mario share moves. Pikachu and Pichu share moves. All 3 Link’s are very similar. Yet, none of them draw the same ire. It’s hypocritical. Sure, there are more FE picks than some may want, but then that’s moving the goalposts. If it’s about the same amount of similar moves, it should be a criticism of the roster in total.

In addition... instead of folks tearing down other characters, why not just say how their own favorites could stand out? The negativity does literally nothing at this point besides making an abundance of eyes roll.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We wouldn't get any other character but Byleth because Three Houses is new, and sells extremely well, and was a huge project, and is the first 3D Fire Emblem after a long time.

Byleth was extremely likely to get in way before their reveal. Nobody wanted to see this, Byleth is still very unique, and people shouldn't ****ing complain, at least not anymore.

Damn.

D

Deleted member

2 months have passed since Byleth released.

Some people liked them and others didn't, which is fine I guess.

We are getting 6 more characters.

And people for some reason, still complain as if Sakurai just murdered someone in public or something.

Look, take this from the guy who spent the first three months of 2019 complaining non-stop about a certain game to annoying points: move over.

The character released, we are still getting content and we should be glad that Sakurai is actually giving us more than we expected.

Complaining about It non-stop is pointless and just makes speculation more frustrating.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It's already been two months since Byleth? How time flies when you're having fun. People will -probably- stop talking about them when they're no longer the newest addition (or newest revealed addition) so either pray for a direct and then pray it'll have news, or peace out for half a year.

I actually like Fire Emblem and I like dunking on roster choices so I'm fine.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
boo me no like fire emblem marth ****ed my wife and they took the kids and when she filed for divorce she took everything from me i live on the streets now and have had to turn to hard drugs and alcohol to cope because i have nothing else and the american system makes it so that im trapped in an endless cycle of despair because i have no means of bettering my situation like insurance or welfare

marth fire emblem ruined my life and i will use every opportunity to denounce him and his franchise because i will not let him or any other anime swordfighter do to another what he did to me i swore on my dead fathers grave because marth also killed my father and fire emblem is the cause of every horrible thing in my life surely none of it is the result of my own negative emotions taking a hold over me as a result of a literal children's fighting game no none of it is my fault and its all his

please sharon come back i miss you and the kids so much

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
boo me no like fire emblem marth ****ed my wife and they took the kids and when she filed for divorce she took everything from me i live on the streets now and have had to turn to hard drugs and alcohol to cope because i have nothing else and the american system makes it so that im trapped in an endless cycle of despair because i have no means of bettering my situation like insurance or welfare

marth fire emblem ruined my life and i will use every opportunity to denounce him and his franchise because i will not let him or any other anime swordfighter do to another what he did to me
Quick, someone put this into a text-to-speech thingamajig.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Speaking as someone who didn't want Byleth but wanted Dimitri, this is probably the healthiest mindset to have towards that franchise's representation.
Maybe it's something about this place specifically. I will still find the occasional embers of people salty about Piranha Plant or Banjo or Terry being in while other places have moved on.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

marth fire emblem ruined my life and i will use every opportunity to denounce him and his franchise because i will not let him or any other anime swordfighter do to another what he did to me i swore on my dead fathers grave because marth also killed my father and fire emblem is the cause of every horrible thing in my life surely none of it is the result of my own negative emotions taking a hold over me as a result of a literal children's fighting game no none of it is my fault and its all his

edea bravely?
gran blue?
baboom?

all victim to the Fire Emblem, which eats up roster slots like kirby eats shortbread

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To be honest, while the FE cast isn't exactly who I want, I'm quite happy with it. Hector and Lyn I still wanted. Roy feels nice and very unique compared to Melee, the two Echoes feel really fun to use, and the other 4 characters feel super unique and fun overall. Ike I admit I can't play as him well in Ultimate. He just feels a bit different enough that makes him less of the heavy swordsman I worked with in Brawl and 4 and I can't adjust well sometimes. Ganondorf and Bowser gave me similar issues. Pit I never got the hang of anyway. Mario I definitely can't work with without the Tornado being Down B. I screw up too much(I did grow up with Smash 64, so).

Even then, they feel pretty nice~

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Imagine looking at someone who's had a sword up their ass about fire emblem for two straight months and thinking that they're somehow not the irrational one in this conversation.
All I'm trying to get at is that I think's extremely unfair to write off every person who has a complaint directed toward FE or a FE character as "another whiny FE hater who needs to get over themselves."

I consider the complaints about Roy, Lucina, and Chrom to be valid, just as I do the three Links. Personally, I'd like to see Sakurai do more with all of these characters. I rarely see anyone go out of their way to defend the latter three, but whenever Roy or Lucina are brought up, everyone feels the need to pull out their textbooks and educate the thread on why it's morally wrong to dislike either character because someone believes they have a similar moveset to Marth. If that doesn't convince them, get over it because they're already in Smash.

Both sides are pretty hostile toward criticism. Let's not pretend like it's a one-way street.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

this is bull**** Marth can't **** your wife he married a Peg Knight
It's already been two months since Byleth? How time flies when you're having fun. People will -probably- stop talking about them when they're no longer the newest addition (or newest revealed addition) so either pray for a direct and then pray it'll have news, or peace out for half a year.

Considering we still have people whining about Corrin and Bayo whining only recently started dying down, I doubt it

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My biggest beef with a lot of the complaints comes down to basically a difference in mindset.

Sure, you can sit there and complain about Fire Emblem. But then again, what’s the point? There’s no control to be had over it. Why waste energy on something you simply can’t control?

What Smash fans can control, is their overall approach to the way they talk about things. Focus on the things that can be controlled. I can whine all day about the way my teaching schedule is going to be affected by Coronavirus (will likely have to teach digitally), or I can take on what I can control and make the best of it.

Likewise, while Smash fans don’t really have any control over who/what gets added to Smash as a playable character, there’s at least productive merit to talking about what may or may not be. Shouting into the void about things you don’t like simply isn’t productive because the act, “shouting into the void” has no measurable affect on the issue at hand, “grrr Fire Emblem”.

Then you have the bystanders who really just want to talk about Smash aside from Fire Emblem. But we can’t, because folks say things that frankly show their ignorance in not just Smash, but the source Fire Emblem games themselves.

It would also be different if all the complainers have tried/played Fire Emblem, but it becomes apparent almost all the time that they never gave it the time of day.

What a waste of time and energy!

D

Deleted member

My biggest beef with a lot of the complaints comes down to basically a difference in mindset.

Sure, you can sit there and complain about Fire Emblem. But then again, what’s the point? There’s no control to be had over it. Why waste energy on something you simply can’t control?

What Smash fans can control, is their overall approach to the way they talk about things. Focus on the things that can be controlled. I can whine all day about the way my teaching schedule is going to be affected by Coronavirus (will likely have to teach digitally), or I can take on what I can control and make the best of it.

Likewise, while Smash fans don’t really have any control over who/what gets added to Smash as a playable character, there’s at least productive merit to talking about what may or may not be. Shouting into the void about things you don’t like simply isn’t productive because the act, “shouting into the void” has no measurable affect on the issue at hand, “grrr Fire Emblem”.

Then you have the bystanders who really just want to talk about Smash aside from Fire Emblem. But we can’t, because folks say things that frankly show their ignorance in not just Smash, but the source Fire Emblem games themselves.

It would also be different if all the complainers have tried/played Fire Emblem, but it becomes apparent almost all the time that they never gave it the time of day.

What a waste of time and energy!
tldr
It's not up to you to judge what people spend so called "time and energy" on. The internet is free, go outside and talk to people if you don't like it.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
As someone whose a more casual fan to the smash bros series, I’d say most of the FE characters at this point are about the same.
The only ones that truly stand out within the series are Corrin and Robin.

Unfortunately this isn’t an issue with the series, but more or less with Sakurai. I’m sure the FE has more interesting characters they could add, but the smash development team basically kept adding characters with similar looks and move sets repeatedly from the series.
I’m not too familiar with the series but Lynn and the Black Knight always interested me as possible candidates for smash, however at this point Smash has exhausted me with Fire emblem characters. So if they never add a new Fire emblem character for the next 3 games I’m cool with that.

Overall don’t take this post as me bashing the series, it looks really interesting and I could see why people are into it. It’s great in its own right. But I’m convinced at this point that Sakurai will most likely disappoint when translating said characters to smash.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
As someone whose a more casual fan to the smash bros series, I’d say most of the FE characters at this point are about the same.

Unfortunately this isn’t an issue with the series, but more or less with Sakurai. I’m sure the FE has more interesting characters they could add, but the smash development team basically kept adding characters with similar looks and move sets repeatedly from the series.
I’m not too familiar with the series but Lynn and the Black Knight always interested me as possible candidates for smash, however at this point Smash has exhausted me with Fire emblem characters. So if they never add a new Fire emblem character for the next 3 games I’m cool with that.

Overall don’t take this post as me bashing the series, it looks really interesting and I could see why people are into it. It’s great in its own right. But I’m convinced at this point that Sakurai will most likely disappoint when translating said characters to smash.
He'd do a lot better if either (1) he and his team chose someone aside from the main protagonist/avatar or (2) IS designed the main character(s) to be more different than their predecessors (that includes both personality and weapon choice).

As long as the main character doesn't have a pegasus for transportation or a bow for their weapon of choice, you can safely bet on the next FE rep having a sword in their moveset to some degree, and then Sakurai will have to sit down and think long and hard about how he'll make the character unique when any other character probably would've been laughably easy.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Honestly yeah, Sakurai and Nintendo are part of the issue here.
Go outside of the comfort zone and add some more daring picks, the last three unique FE characters we've gotten are all avatar characters.
Add someone like the other House Leaders who all double up as antagonists if you don't go their route.
Add a rival like the Black Knight.
Add a true manakete like Tiki.

This is just accurate: (I made this meme in Pixlr.)
View attachment 265768
I want Bandana Dee, come on Sakurai... Give my boy Kirby some modern representation.
See here's the thing, you apologised for starting this whole thing earlier, but then you regularly post **** like this which just further incites the arguments.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom