• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Aren't we in the middle of complaining about FE, though?

Also, happy 2500th page, everybody!
Not me, I love Fire Emblem. Next Fighter Pass could be 100% Fire Emblem, and I'd love it.

315 hours on Three Houses right now.

Which route do I play next ? Just did Golden Deer the second time.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Not me, I love Fire Emblem. Next Fighter Pass could be 100% Fire Emblem, and I'd love it.

If you're asking me, Black Eagles is still my favorite. Then again, that's the divisive one, isn't it?

DatMooGuy

Smash Rookie
So a lot of people are speculating based on character names. But what about mechanics? Is there a specific gimmick you'd like to see in Smash? Or a specific type of ability?

Personally, I'd like to see more of a summoner type. Olimar is as close as it gets, and maybe Duck Hunt to some extent with his down B? Bowser Jr with his down B too? But nothing comes close to the Pikmin dynamic so far. I don't quite have names in mind for mainstream summoner though, but it's something I'd like to see more of.

I'm quite fond of transformations and duos too. Pokemon Trainer is a neat idea, and I wish we had more tag fighters like this. Akira from Astral Chain would have been a great addition to this mechanic, with changing Legions and being possibly a duo too.

As a playstyle, I like zoning and attrition, so more poison/burn/damageovertime type moves would be nice. I know those can be a tad difficult to balance between audiences (from casual to pro, they can go from broken to weak).
Someone I'd like to see is crazy Dave from Plants v.s. zombies and he could work like that

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You play Roy completely different to any other sword fighter though. In fact Roy is closer to someone like Fox in terms of overall gameplay. He has to get up close to his opponent to do any meaningful damage, and he's a fast faller. Most swordsmen are more floaty and are all about keeping your distance and spacing your attacks (Although Marth isn't even good at that in this game). If you tried to play Roy the same as Marth or Lucina, you'd suck.
I get the point people are trying to make every time I see this counterargument, but you have to understand that to a lot of people, Roy is still similar to Marth.

Yes, if you look him from the perspective of his mechanics, he plays very differently. Regardless, his moveset is still almost entirely derived from an existing character, and forcing yourself to get closer to your opponent and be more careful with your Smash attacks may not feel like a big enough change to some people when most of the attacks are conceptually identical.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Weird question: what is Legacy XP? The Geno thread is getting worked up because Nintendo took it down. I think they think it raises his chances.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

SKX31

Smash Master
Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If you're asking me, Black Eagles is still my favorite. Then again, that's the divisive one, isn't it?
Yeah, I don't like it. But I played it the least, I might as well, since I never got to recruit Jeritza since I played it all before the DLC came out. Think I did Azure Moon about 3 times now however, or at least 2. Still my favourite route. Verdant Wind comes next.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

cosmicB

Smash Ace

Have you done Silver Snow maddening yet? I know VW to SS is kind of redundant, but I think that's the best way to close the game out on considering it's the hardest route by far.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
While we're on the random train, pick a number from 0 to 88 (or use a random number generator). This number determines which Robot Master shall be DLC. Reroll if you get 1. That's Mega Man.

I got DLN. 069: Jewel Man. I could see him being pretty entertaining to watch, though not at all fun to fight.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
There is only one thing that can save us from this Fire Emblem talk: a Fun Forum Game™. Click this link, whoever you get is the first character in FP6. Even if it is the credits to the Minish Cap.
https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Random
I got... the bannana cup.
I got Call of Duty: Black Ops. Yes, there were Call of Duty games on Nintendo systems.

Move over, Doom Slayer and Master Chief, we're getting a Call of Duty rep as our FPS rep and our next fighter.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
There is only one thing that can save us from this Fire Emblem talk: a Fun Forum Game™. Click this link, whoever you get is the first character in FP6. Even if it is the credits to the Minish Cap.
Well we couldn't get the Infinity Gauntlet so how about the Infinity Tennis Racket instead

I got Call of Duty: Black Ops. Yes, there were Call of Duty games on Nintendo systems.

Move over, Doom Slayer and Master Chief, we're getting a Call of Duty rep as our FPS rep and our next fighter.
For his final smash, Mason hallucinates Reznov and THE NUMBERS

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Wynn: "why don't they make more echoes, it's a wasted opportunity!"

Also Wynn: "wtf is this, ugh these echoes sucks, why FE keeps getting these clones"

Also Also Wynn: "wtf, they wasted development time on a orginal FE character"
I never say these Echoes sucks, I'm just pointing out why Fire Emblem characters are really tiresome. Too many of them are similar, including Byleth. I don't know why it's so hard for people to accept that people are tired of Fire Emblem character in Smash Bros, God forbid people have their own opinions about something.
Honestly, Byleth is the weakest character out of the five DLC characters in terms of gameplay and character themselves.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I mean, if people think characters are “the same” because of one or two things that are similar then...they’re still not correct.

They’re just ignorant.

Like, I understand the fact that the Fire Emblem cast in Smash has similarities. For Lucina, Chrom, and Roy (to an extent), that’s literally by design. However, considering we are supposed to actively play this video game, titled Super Smash Bros Ultimate for Nintendo Switch, judging a character entirely by visuals is judging the book by its cover, and is inherently ignorant.

Fire Emblem salt (because that’s basically what it is now) is obnoxious. I’m not one to say it usually, but...get over it.

I really don’t know what else to say. Being salty about characters that are programmed into Smash and will not be removed isn’t going to get them removed. Unless you’re going to sell the game and choose to not actually play it, quit complaining and do something productive/change the subject.

It’s like shouting negativity into the void for no productive reason. They’re fictional characters in a game that you willfully choose to play. You can beat them up, you can choose not to use them.

Simply stating you disagree with the decision is one thing. But going on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on about it...it’s whining. You’re not offering solutions, so it’s whining.

Get over it.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
I clicked it 6 times and got..
Commander TarTar
Yuga/gallery
Ghostbusters
Officer Arachno (Xenoblade)
Turret (Chrono Trigger)
and Cubchoo
So uh enjoy? Yuga would be cool.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, if people think characters are “the same” because of one or two things that are similar then...they’re still not correct.

They’re just ignorant.

Like, I understand the fact that the Fire Emblem cast in Smash has similarities. For Lucina, Chrom, and Roy (to an extent), that’s literally by design. However, considering we are supposed to actively play this video game, titled Super Smash Bros Ultimate for Nintendo Switch, judging a character entirely by visuals is judging the book by its cover, and is inherently ignorant.

Fire Emblem salt (because that’s basically what it is now) is obnoxious. I’m not one to say it usually, but...get over it.

I really don’t know what else to say. Being salty about characters that are programmed into Smash and will not be removed isn’t going to get them removed. Unless you’re going to sell the game and choose to not actually play it, quit complaining and do something productive/change the subject.

It’s like shouting negativity into the void for no productive reason. They’re fictional characters in a game that you willfully choose to play. You can beat them up, you can choose not to use them.

Simply stating you disagree with the decision is one thing. But going on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on about it...it’s whining. You’re not offering solutions, so it’s whining.

Get over it.
Calling people ignorant because they don't like how many similarities there are between several FE characters might be a little extreme.

I think any character(s) regardless of what franchise they're from would be subject to similar complaints from fans if Sakurai kept recycling the same moveset rather than look into creating clones of characters who don't have any. People weren't very happy with Fox/Falco/Wolf in Brawl, even if there were plenty of differences to separate themselves from each other outside the specials. I don't think anyone would object to Sakurai giving Link/Young Link/Toon Link a few more unique moves.

I know there are plenty of people who will criticize any FE character, but I consider Marth/Lucina/Roy/Chrom to be a somewhat more legitimate complaint.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Calling people ignorant because they don't like how many similarities there are between several FE characters might be a little extreme.

I think any character(s) regardless of what franchise they're from would be subject to similar complaints from fans if Sakurai kept recycling the same moveset rather than look into creating clones of characters who don't have any. People weren't very happy with Fox/Falco/Wolf in Brawl, even if there were plenty of differences to separate themselves from each other outside the specials. I don't think anyone would object to Sakurai giving Link/Young Link/Toon Link a few more unique moves.

I know there are plenty of people who will criticize any FE character, but I consider Marth/Lucina/Roy/Chrom to be a somewhat more legitimate complaint.
I mean, saying they all play exactly the same is indeed ignorance and a lot of ignorant people like pretending they're as interchangable as Peach and Daisy, who are completely identical

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
why the **** are we still talking about fire emblem

it's over

they're in the game

move on

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Thought experiment: if, instead of Byleth, we got a popular legacy FE rep like, say, Lyn (not a perfect example because of the ramifications of assist upgrades, but I don't know much about FE fan demand so if there's a better example pick that instead) would there still be large backlash? What if we got Lyn instead of Corrin in smash 4? In the latter case, would FE hate have even been a thing during ult speculation? Would Byleth have been better received if we never had Corrin?

I'm no oracle, but I wager both those scenarios would have led to less backlash than the character we got, and I think getting Lyn instead of Corrin would have prevented priming people into being disappointed in Byleth. I think that there's a lot of historical context to FE hate that neither the haters themselves nor the anti-haters seem to realize is there. Assuming my predictions are right, the former scenario also showcases that it's not just the number of reps people dislike, but something about which specific reps (and not just "too many swords", since Lyn even conveniently has a sword).

TL;DR I think the root of FE hate is more complicated than those who complain about FE can put into words, or even consciously realize, and thus anti-haters' counterarguments tend not to quite address that (because how can you address a complaint that the complainer doesn't even realize they have?)

This post is probably not well worded so if you're just more confused now feel free to poke me.

D

Deleted member

Flaming
Salty ass reply. Of course nobody asked, comments can be made however the poster feels fit. Go complain about Fire Emblem some more if you'd like. Not my damn problem.
Lol Then don't bother replying *****
why the **** are we still talking about fire emblem

it's over

they're in the game

move on
God forbid people talk about what they want and express their opinions. Let us all worship Sakurai's "hard work", regardless of whether or not we actually like it

Last edited by a moderator:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

Imagine looking at someone who's had a sword up their ass about fire emblem for two straight months and thinking that they're somehow not the irrational one in this conversation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom