• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I wonder if public domain songs or compositions could actually get in Smash.

We kinda already have a Mozart symphony in Smash through the Mario Bros theme remix, so what if we got to see stuff such as Night On Bald Mountain in the future through one way or another?

Kinda a really unlikely thing, but still a thing I do wonder about a bit.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Whenever we inevitably get another anime swordfighter.

Okay, real talk? Can people stop saying they don't want "another anime swordfighter" and just admit they don't want more Fire Emblem?
Tangentially related, but I felt a similar contradiction when Hero was revealed. Like, I have to imagine that if it were Crono instead, Hero wouldn't have been quite as controversial as he was during that half-hour before Banjo was confirmed.

Speaking of, I'm still bummed that no one has made a Crono mod for Hero.

DMC literally had an anime so no-one's gonna really argue that lol
Does that make DmC: Devil may Cry the terrible live-action adaptation?

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

We kinda already have a Mozart symphony in Smash through the Mario Bros theme remix, so what if we got to see stuff such as Night On Bald Mountain in the future through one way or another?

We got the perfect candidate right here

The One True Angry Sad Dad

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

Tetris theme is a public domain song called Koroveiniki

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Does that make DmC: Devil may Cry the terrible live-action adaptation?
Nah. There aren't any real actors onscreen. It's the Netflix adaptation.

There's no reason why there can't be any, but they're not going to add any unless they have some significance to a game or series. The only game in Smash that I know is like that is Mother 3, and Mario Bros. Even then I only knew about that one because you just said it.

Heck, Five Nights at Freddy's is the only other series that I know of that uses public domain music at all. Well...that and Playstation All Stars: Battle Royale; They couldn't get the rights to certain series's music like Parappa the Rapper which is just...why?

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Dante. Not just because I want him either.

He’s a great first pick to get people to buy in, coming in off of DMC3 on Switch with a definitive edition.

There are other reasons but for whatever reason, my brain just doesn’t really feel like working right now.
Dante's a very "vanilla" sort of character, the kind of character whose generally recognizable even if you've never played his games, a character who few are really hardcore clamoring for, but one that even fewer people would take issue with because... well, he's just cool. A lot like Joker and Terry, really.

Guess what, everyone is going to feel different about everything, that doesn't make opinions any less valid. If you're going to tell people to stop hating on something then it's completely fair to tell people to stop liking something.
Not everyone is going to like every single character in Smash Bros, but saying that voicing complaints is not productive is stupid because that implies saying postivite is somehow productive. Nothing written here will ever be considered productive, it's a message board where people just type what they think.
Ya'll got to remember is that people are always going to have different opinions and feel different when it comes to certain characters and series.
Understandable, but just because a statement you've made is your opinion, that doesn't mean it's exempt from criticism. If you come in to a thread to talk down other people's characters, or to abhor the idea of us getting any good characters whatsoever, or to police people's opinions or speculation, then it's fair for people to take issue with it. It's like coming into a party, turning off the music and all of the lights, and then walking away. Sure, there's nothing illegal about doing that, but it's still a **** move and people are allowed to call you out on that, especially when you do it all the time, to everyone's annoyance.

Based on the cycle, we're due another rant about how assist trophies are the devil followed by first parties vs third parties and then "Can Spirits Promote? 123901848: Still the same as number 547" with the odd peppering of industry news with brief discussions about them.
But Assist Trophies are The Devil. :ultpacman:
SSBU_Spirits_Devil.png

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
There's no reason why there can't be any, but they're not going to add any unless they have some significance to a game or series. The only game in Smash that I know is like that is Mother 3, and Mario Bros. Even then I only knew about that one because you just said it.

Heck, Five Nights at Freddy's is the only other series that I know of that uses public domain music at all. Well...that and Playstation All Stars: Battle Royale; They couldn't get the rights to certain series's music like Parappa the Rapper which is just...why?
There’s also DDR Mario Mix which features some old public domain tracks in addition to the Nintendo-owned tracks.
Long before Odyssey’s lyrical songs, there was Always Smiling.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
"Oh, Mario deserves more characters because it saved Video Games!"

"Oh, Pokemon deserves more characters because it made portable gaming mainstream!"

"Oh, Fire Emblem was the first Strategy RPG ever and made leaps and bounds for storytelling within video games that blazed the trail for narrative lead video games and Strategy games to this very day?"
You do recognize that that 3rd one is far less significant than those first two, right?

Not to mention complete bull****. Fire Emblem wasn't the first Strategy RPG. And narrative and storytelling in games is owed to FE? Give me a break.

Those accomplishments are made up, and they STILL don't hang.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
"Oh, Fire Emblem was the first Strategy RPG ever and made leaps and bounds for storytelling within video games that blazed the trail for narrative lead video games and Strategy games to this very day? GET THAT ****ING WEABOO ANIME TRASH OUTTA MY SMESH BRUDDAS!"

In all seriousness though, it is what it is, there are a lot of Fire Emblem characters in the game. ******** about it ain't gonna change that.
Idk if this is a joke but there was plenty of narrative lead games and SRPGs before FE

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
There is only one thing that can save us from this Fire Emblem talk: a Fun Forum Game™. Click this link, whoever you get is the first character in FP6. Even if it is the credits to the Minish Cap.
https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Random
I got... the bannana cup.
Haltmann Works Company.

I'm imagining Susie but with all the bosses at her command a la Pikmin.

Last edited:

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
I, for one, don't particularly care who the fighters within the second fighters' pass are for the time being.

All of my four most wanted-s (Vaati, Isaac, Saki, and Scizor) are already, well, either unlikely (at best) or outright impossible with how the game is (at worst).

I don't really care for most of the talked-about third parties, as I don't really have a connection with any who aren't either already in the game or impossibly unlikely. (The two non-indie third-party characters I would be the most excited for at the current moment are Terra from FF6 and Tatsuya from Persona 2, to put it into perspective. If I consider indie characters, then I suppose Reimu would be neat, too.)

I just feel almost, well, defeated, when I look at everyone talk about Hayabusa, Crash, Sora, Master Chief, etc.

I mean, I know it isn't their fault that the obscure characters I've wanted for a few years now aren't being talked about at all, and I would be glad for them if their most wanted-s got in, but no character in the speculation scene right now really clicks with me at all.

Regardless, well, I'm sincerely sorry if I bothered any of you at all by going on this bit of a rant of sorts.

I just wanted to get my pent-up thoughts and whatnot out there.

Have a good morning/day/evening/night, and stay safe in this COVID-19-filled world.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I, for one, don't particularly care who the fighters within the second fighters' pass are for the time being.

All of my four most wanted-s (Vaati, Isaac, Saki, and Scizor) are already, well, either unlikely (at best) or outright impossible with how the game is (at worst).

I don't really care for most of the talked-about third parties, as I don't really have a connection with any who aren't either already in the game or impossibly unlikely. (The two non-indie third-party characters I would be the most excited for at the current moment are Terra from FF6 and Tatsuya from Persona 2, to put it into perspective. If I consider indie characters, then I suppose Reimu would be neat, too.)

I just feel almost, well, defeated, when I look at everyone talk about Hayabusa, Crash, Sora, Master Chief, etc.

I mean, I know it isn't their fault that the obscure characters I've wanted for a few years now aren't being talked about at all, and I would be glad for them if their most wanted-s got in, but no character in the speculation scene right now really clicks with me at all.

Regardless, well, I'm sincerely sorry if I bothered any of you at all by going on this bit of a rant of sorts.

Have a good morning/day/evening/night, and stay safe in this COVID-19-filled world.
My recommendation is to just ignore whatever characters this thread frequently talks about because we'll be lucky if even one of them gets in. Go back to 2018 and I guarantee you Joker and Terry Bogard were not at the top of everyone's mind. Verge is literally the only reason why anyone would've thought Luminary or Erdrick would get in.

Seriously, don't let it get you down.

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice

The thing about Sakurai is he doesn’t usually go for the characters you expect. Like of all of the fighters in Vol. 1, the only character that was highly speculated about was Banjo (and Hero but he was leaked so that doesn’t count). For me, it was really interesting learning about Dragon Quest and Fatal Fury and getting into their series. We can pretty much all count on Sakurai to pick characters we don’t expect, and that’s what makes it better. It would be ass if we got a bunch of characters we saw coming.

And Joker was my most wanted so that **** was HYPE

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Verge is literally the only reason why anyone would've thought Luminary or Erdrick would get in.
And keep in mind, we were mainly focusing on Erdrick. We had no idea it'd end up being Luminary as the main Hero and Erdrick as an alt.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Idk if this is a joke but there was plenty of narrative lead games and SRPGs before FE
You do recognize that that 3rd one is far less significant than those first two, right?

Not to mention complete bull****. Fire Emblem wasn't the first Strategy RPG. And narrative and storytelling in games is owed to FE? Give me a break.

Your accomplishments are made up, and they STILL don't hang.
Even within Intelligent Systems itself, FE wasn't the first strategy RPG series they released, that would belong to Nintendo Wars.

But hey Sakurai and Nintendo and the rest of the community at large likes to pretend that the series that literally had at least one entry release on every single console that a Fire Emblem game released on from the Famicom all the way to the DS doesn't exist.

Fire Emblem's sister series from its birth to the late 2000s, another Strategy RPG, could really use some reps. They couldn't even be bothered to give it a stage, or music, or even bring it's only Assist Trophy back.

Why don't we stop arguing about Flame Insignia and start talking about the neglected little sibling that helped Fire Emblem get localized in the first place?

Look at all these colorful characters.

2C38BCBE-165B-4A52-8F20-80C73C41780C.png

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
The thing about Sakurai is he doesn’t usually go for the characters you expect. Like of all of the fighters in Vol. 1, the only character that was highly speculated about was Banjo (and Hero but he was leaked so that doesn’t count). For me, it was really interesting learning about Dragon Quest and Fatal Fury and getting into their series. We can pretty much all count on Sakurai to pick characters we don’t expect, and that’s what makes it better. It would be ass if we got a bunch of characters we saw coming.

And Joker was my most wanted so that **** was HYPE
Well, a good chunk of people started to think that a FE: Three Houses would get a rep, especially as it continued to not get a spirit event. Granted, most people thought it would show up during the second FP, not the first but still, Byleth/a 3H rep was something that was expected.

MisterHollywood

Smash Apprentice
Well, a good chunk of people started to think that a FE: Three Houses would get a rep, especially as it continued to not get a spirit event. Granted, most people thought it would show up during the second FP, not the first but still, Byleth/a 3H rep was something that was expected.
As far as I knew most people thought the fighters pass was gonna be all 3rd party, and a 3 houses character would just be the worst possible outcome.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As far as I knew most people thought the fighters pass was gonna be all 3rd party, and a 3 houses character would just be the worst possible outcome.
The prevailing thought was pretty much always "if it's not all third party, then Three Houses has a good shot" and this was even before a second pass was announced. "Three Houses would only be on the second pass, not the first" wasn't a thing before the second pass was announced.

It really wasn't unexpected, at least not to the extent that some people would have you believe.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don’t think it’s fair to say, “None of the characters people talk about are going to get in.”

There’s no way to actually know that currently. Though, I do think people overrate Master Chief, and I think it’s totally reasonable to think Dante has a shot with DMC3 and the interview surrounding him with Itsuno (not the voice actor for V).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Let me toss in a hypothetical to gauge reactions.

We get a Pokémon in the Fighter Pass, but it's NOT a Galar Pokémon. Instead, it's an older Pokémon that's recently gotten quite a bit of promotion, and would actually be a spirit promotion: Gengar.

It currently has a sizable role in the anime, having had a small recurring role before being caught by Ash (similar to Litten), and has remained one of the single most popular Pokémon after all these years (getting tenth place in the 2020 Pokémon poll, and outranking every Kanto Mon besides Charizard...yes, even beating Pikachu and Mewtwo).

Assume Gengar got in. How would you feel?

ZelDan

Smash Master

We get a Pokémon in the Fighter Pass, but it's NOT a Galar Pokémon. Instead, it's an older Pokémon that's recently gotten quite a bit of promotion, and would actually be a spirit promotion: Gengar.

It currently has a sizable role in the anime, having had a small recurring role before being caught by Ash (similar to Litten), and has remained one of the single most popular Pokémon after all these years (getting tenth place in the 2020 Pokémon poll, and outranking every Kanto Mon besides Charizard...yes, even beating Pikachu and Mewtwo).

The way I would feel about it's inclusion is the same way I'd feel about any Pokemon inclusion: "Oh...meh..."

MisterMike

Smash Champion

Disappointed. Gengar is a fine Pokemon and is certainly popular, but I'd much prefer we get a character who isn't a Pokemon.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Disappointed. Gengar is a fine Pokemon and is certainly popular, but I'd much prefer we get a character who isn't a Pokemon.
...while wanting two more Mario characters.

Anyway, I do think Gengar would be a lot better. Sorry for knowing there's more to Pokemon than Mewtwo.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
...while wanting two more Mario characters.
I mean, it's a matter of preference. Like I'd gladly take several more Fire Emblem characters before another Kirby character but it doesn't matter because it's just a matter of preference.

I don't see the point in getting hung up on it.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I mean, it's a matter of preference. Like I'd gladly take several more Fire Emblem characters before another Kirby character but it doesn't matter because it's just a matter of preference.

I don't see the point in getting hung up on it.
I just don't see the point in discarding a Pokemon's popularity/moveset potential because of how many you can play as if you don't do that to additional Mario or FE characters. That's it. Be consistent.
Is that a problem? Also, who said I wanted two Mario characters?
Your ideal upgrades pass.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I don’t think it’s fair to say, “None of the characters people talk about are going to get in.”

There’s no way to actually know that currently. Though, I do think people overrate Master Chief, and I think it’s totally reasonable to think Dante has a shot with DMC3 and the interview surrounding him with Itsuno (not the voice actor for V).
No, it's totally fair to think that. Look at the characters that got in Vol 1, only one was put in that was requested. It's going to be the exact same for Vol 2, random characters weren't really asking for are getting in.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just don't see the point in discarding a Pokemon's popularity/moveset potential because of how many you can play as if you don't do that to additional Mario or FE characters. That's it. Be consistent.

But that's the thing. Why should the public majority opinion dictate how you would feel? Like you can recognize something's worth without personally wanting it. I recognize that Bandana Waddle Dee has merit but I still find him super boring.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Like you can recognize something's worth without personally wanting it.
I don't necessarily need them to want another Pokemon, just not use "another Pokemon" as a reason why a fighter would be bad if "another Mario/FE character" isn't.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
And that means I want all of those characters?

No, it's totally fair to think that. Look at the characters that got in Vol 1, only one was put in that was requested. It's going to be the exact same for Vol 2, random characters weren't really asking for are getting in.
Just because that was the case for Vol.1, that doesn't mean it will be the case for Vol.2. At the current, we have no way to definitively say anything one way or the other.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't necessarily need them to want another Pokemon, just not use "another Pokemon" as a reason why a fighter would be bad if "another Mario/FE character" isn't.
But isn't that kind of what you do about starter Pokémon and Grass types specifically?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
starter Pokémon
Correction: Adding a new humanoid starter Pokemon just to have one from the latest gen.
And there's a bit more to it than "ugh, another starter". I prefer the playstyles of :ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer: in terms of Pokemon, so Rillaboom wouldn't seem like a fun character to me, and I imagine it'd get ****ed competitively just like it did in Google's poll.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I requested Joker and Terry and tons of people requested the Dragon quest heroes so I don't know where this came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom