• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Video games are pretty cool. Anyone got obscure weirdo characters they'd want, even if you know it won't happen. I obviously got major/mainstream stuff I'd like to see.

It'd be kind of cool to see Raziel actually be remembered in some fashion again. He's got a really cool design. Though I'm not sure how the soul absorption mechanic would play out. Unless he makes enemies drop a specific resource he can absorb.
If vidya content based on tabletop games count:
*Captain Titus of the Spess Smurfs Ultramarines from Warhammer 40000: Space Marine. Poor Titus needed those sequels.
*The Nameless One from Planescape: Torment. His tagline could Be "The Nameless One updates his journal".

Raziel would be pretty cool.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm still convinced that Dante's smash popularity was the long-term plan of the DMC5 leaker.
And goddamn did it work then
God, Sol Badguy in Smash would be so ****ing cool.

If he's implemented as faithfully as Ryu/Ken and Terry, he could be have all of the lethality and hype of Smash 4 Bayo, but with none of the bull**** and an actual skill floor.

He could pull the death combos and 'your combo is now my combo' plays that Bayo could, but he'd need to build meter, properly time and execute Roman cancels, and do combos using special cancels and command inputs, as opposed to Witchtime and death combos being free (he also wouldn't have gun neutral).

When you factor in that to build meter, he would have to constantly play aggressively, and I think you have a recipe for possibly the most hype character in Smash history.
Only issue I see with meter is that in GG, you get meter by moving forward and running away too much punishes you by removing your Tension, how you gonna do that with 3 players at once? Cause otherwise it ain't an ArcSys meter

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
And goddamn did it work then

Only issue I see with meter is that in GG, you get meter by moving forward and running away too much punishes you by removing your Tension, how you gonna do that with 3 players at once? Cause otherwise it ain't an ArcSys meter
Hmmmm. We know that they have a way of telling when you're running away too much in free-for-alls (they can ban you for it on online), so maybe a similar feature could be implemented for Negative Penalty. Otherwise, you could just fill meter by moving forwards, towards an opponent, which seems easy enough to implement.

I also just realized that Roman cancelling Up-B could be a cool feature to boost Sol's recovery.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
I feel Sora would be really really fun to play and I will always think that despite the geno fans instantly putting him down.
Don't worry about them, Geno fans are insecure because their character doesn't actually have anything going for them, aside from their echo chamber of support.

Sora would be infinitely awesome just on the sheer crossover factor, especially if he gets some Donald/Goofy/Mickey representation to come with him.

D

Deleted member

Let me toss in a hypothetical to gauge reactions.

We get a Pokémon in the Fighter Pass, but it's NOT a Galar Pokémon. Instead, it's an older Pokémon that's recently gotten quite a bit of promotion, and would actually be a spirit promotion: Gengar.

It currently has a sizable role in the anime, having had a small recurring role before being caught by Ash (similar to Litten), and has remained one of the single most popular Pokémon after all these years (getting tenth place in the 2020 Pokémon poll, and outranking every Kanto Mon besides Charizard...yes, even beating Pikachu and Mewtwo).

Assume Gengar got in. How would you feel?
I'm at a point right now to where the only Pokemon I want are Pokemon I have a deep nostalgic connection to. That's mainly Gen 2 and 4 Pokemon. Gengar would be a cool base game character, but I wouldn't want him as DLC.

D

Deleted member

We get a Pokémon in the Fighter Pass, but it's NOT a Galar Pokémon. Instead, it's an older Pokémon that's recently gotten quite a bit of promotion, and would actually be a spirit promotion: Gengar.

It currently has a sizable role in the anime, having had a small recurring role before being caught by Ash (similar to Litten), and has remained one of the single most popular Pokémon after all these years (getting tenth place in the 2020 Pokémon poll, and outranking every Kanto Mon besides Charizard...yes, even beating Pikachu and Mewtwo).

I have a friend from Madrid who is a hardcore Pokémon fan and loves Gengar the most out of all the Pokémon.

He would be deeply happy, and so would I.

SKX31

Smash Master
If vidya content based on tabletop games count:
*Captain Titus of the Spess Smurfs Ultramarines from Warhammer 40000: Space Marine. Poor Titus needed those sequels.
*The Nameless One from Planescape: Torment. His tagline could Be "The Nameless One updates his journal".

Raziel would be pretty cool.
*Ultrachanting intensifies.*

*Somewhere in the far future, the Emperor shrieks at the sanctimonius lovechild of tinnitus and a jackhammer.*

While Gengar's not my favorite Gen I pokemon (That goes to Kadabra / Alakazam, Yea, I'm a fan of when Psychic was borken, sue me) I'd personally welcome it nonetheless. Especially if it retains some of its (lack of) animations from the Stadium games.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Without that DMC5 support what are Dante's chances really tbh?

I personally wouldn't mind him as he'd be an cool addition and would be loads of fun given his moveset potential.
Sora would be infinitely awesome just on the sheer crossover factor, especially if he gets some Donald/Goofy/Mickey representation to come with him.
The only issue with this is how Smash is about gaming and Disney representation would be non-gaming. Sure those incarnations of Donald, Goofy and Mickey are from that respective franchise but still. If anything I would think they'd use Riku and Kairi for Sora's Final Smash.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
The only issue with this is how Smash is about gaming and Disney representation would be non-gaming. Sure those incarnations of Donald, Goofy and Mickey are from that respective franchise but still. If anything I would think they'd use Riku and Kairi for Sora's Final Smash.
I do kind of wonder if there is a chance that the negotiations with Disney and Nintendo fell through the first time is because Disney wanted Mickey, Donald and Goofy to be included. Sure with World of Final Fantasy, they weren't included but I think it'd be a different case for Smash.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Hey all, Scott here! I haven't been posting here all too much, so I wanna break that a tiny bit by posting a question for the forum.

What do y'all think for a reveal for a March 26th Nintendo Direct? Beginning, middle or end of Direct, who it is, can apply to anything!

Thinking near-ish the latter half of the middle of the Direct and someone on lists that flew by everyone.
Honestly, a reveal at the beginning would be a change of pace. It would certainly start off things with a bang and maintain interest for the remainder of the Direct to see what's next for other titles. It will maintain momentum of excitement if you announce a Smash character at the beginning, plus it would be easier for Nintendo or Sakurai to get it over with.

Leaving it to the end will be hype as well, but if it doesn't happen people will call the entire Direct a failure. It's just the nature of some people that no Smash news at a Direct = immediate failure.

As for who I think it's going to be? No one can guess for sure, but I think it could be Dante. Guy has too much going for him: Momentum from the last pass (especially after the Byleth reveal), is one of Capcom's biggest characters, had a very successful recent entry with DMC5, is highly requested and just got a definitive DMC3 port to the Switch a few weeks ago.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I do kind of wonder if there is a chance that the negotiations with Disney and Nintendo fell through the first time is because Disney wanted Mickey, Donald and Goofy to be included. Sure with World of Final Fantasy, they weren't included but I think it'd be a different case for Smash.
I don't think it would be THAT big an issue considering they were fine excluding Mickey twice in both times Sora's showed up in a crossover game.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The only issue with this is how Smash is about gaming and Disney representation would be non-gaming.
disney has plenty of games with Mickey in it actaully but hell, why not just use KHs original characters anyway unless Nomura says "No, I dont want Axel to show up"

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
disney has plenty of games with Mickey in it actaully but hell, why not just use KHs original characters anyway unless Nomura says "No, I dont want Axel to show up"
But Mickey originated as an non-gaming character. Smash is about gaming as Sakurai states. It'll also give people more the reason to ask for Goku.

If Sora gets in then it should only be Kingdom Hearts characters in terms of Final Smash and Spirits like Kairi, Riku and such.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
My recommendation is to just ignore whatever characters this thread frequently talks about because we'll be lucky if even one of them gets in. Go back to 2018 and I guarantee you Joker and Terry Bogard were not at the top of everyone's mind. Verge is literally the only reason why anyone would've thought Luminary or Erdrick would get in.

Seriously, don't let it get you down.
The thing about Sakurai is he doesn’t usually go for the characters you expect. Like of all of the fighters in Vol. 1, the only character that was highly speculated about was Banjo (and Hero but he was leaked so that doesn’t count). For me, it was really interesting learning about Dragon Quest and Fatal Fury and getting into their series. We can pretty much all count on Sakurai to pick characters we don’t expect, and that’s what makes it better. It would be ass if we got a bunch of characters we saw coming.

And Joker was my most wanted so that **** was HYPE
Tbf the speculation scene is much different because of Joker, Hero & Terry. No one was talking about Master Chief, Doom Slayer, Dante, etc... before Joker was revealed.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
But Mickey originated as an non-gaming character. Smash is about gaming as Sakurai states. It'll also give people more the reason to ask for Goku.

If Sora gets in then it should only be Kingdom Hearts characters in terms of Final Smash and Spirits like Kairi, Riku and such.
Counterpoint: it's OK for non-gaming things to get in, as long as they're not fighters. Look at Dracula, or the nintendogs Spirits/AT.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Counterpoint: it's OK for non-gaming things to get in, as long as they're not fighters. Look at Dracula, or the nintendogs Spirits/AT.
Does Karin count? There's a spirit of her but she debuted in a manga years before actually appearing in a street fighter game.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Does Karin count? There's a spirit of her but she debuted in a manga years before actually appearing in a street fighter game.
Idk, I was just giving examples of non-gaming-original content.

Tbf the speculation scene is much different because of Joker, Hero & Terry. No one was talking about Master Chief, Doom Slayer, Dante, etc... before Joker was revealed.
I think people were talking about Dante as early as Mega Man was revealed, and definitely by Bayo's release.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I remember plenty of talk about Doom Slayer before Joker. It just wasn't as dominant until people noticed a pattern without noticing something else about these third-parties: They lean more towards Bayonetta than Ryu/Cloud.

D

Deleted member

Gaming celebrates non-gaming characters all the time. Look at Negan in Tekken 7, Spawn in MK, or Mike Tyson in Punch Out. The only issue would be like if Mickey represented the Mickey Mouse series and not Kingdom Hearts. Given how Kingdom Hearts, especially the first one, is built off a childhood fantasy of a boy adventuring in Disney Worlds, I can't see the issue as that's an awesome idea for Smash.

Don't think you have to worry about Goku for Smash because Mickey w/ a keyblade and black hoodie got spirited or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Gengar's cool and we don't have a fighter with ghost powers yet (pour one out for Decidueye), so I'd be more than happy.

That being said, it's basically guarantee Gengar would be the Byleth of the pass in the sense that he'll get the most "Why isn't this Dante/2B/Sora!? Gengar is so unhype!". But then again, that also didn't stop me from wanting Byleth, so I'm cool with that.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Gaming celebrates non-gaming characters all the time. Look at Negan in Tekken 7, Spawn in MK, or Mike Tyson in Punch Out. The only issue would be like if Mickey represented the Mickey Mouse series and not Kingdom Hearts. Mickey is his own character in Kingdom Hearts and is separate from other iterations of him. Don't think you have to worry about Goku for Smash because Mickey w/ a keyblade and black hoodie got spirited.
God, the sheer thought of a Mickey spirit gives me chills. Y'all know that Disney would demand he be the most broke-ass spirit in the game.

Except that Dracula is Castlevania's incarnation not the entire character as an whole.
Same with KH Mickey, Donald, and Goofy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Except that Dracula is Castlevania's incarnation not the entire character as an whole.
Neither is Mickey in Kingdom Hearts. I mean look at him.

KingdomHearts3-30.jpg

This is the edgiest ****ing Mickey I've ever seen.

God, the sheer thought of a Mickey spirit gives me chills. Y'all know that Disney would demand he be the most broke-ass spirit in the game.
Mickey Mouse Spirit Battle:
Four star spirit
Neutral type because he has no weaknesses.
Represented by :ultpichu:
Reinforcements include:ultfalco::ultduckhunt::ultvillager:
Pichu is equiped with a killing edge that always crits
The enemy will occasionally suddenly get final smashes
If you lose, he buys out your copy of Ultimate and you need to pay for the game again to get it back.

Last edited by a moderator:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Hmmm this Sora talk has got me thinking: what other characters have the most crossover 'oomph' (a la Sonic, Ryu, or Cloud) if they get added to Smash?

My thoughts are probably Sora (because Disney), Master Chief (because mascot of a rival company), and Kratos (also because mascot of a rival company). What do y'all's think?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Hmmm this Sora talk has got me thinking: what other characters have the most crossover 'oomph' (a la Sonic, Ryu, or Cloud) if they get added to Smash?

My thoughts are probably Sora (because Disney), Master Chief (because mascot of a rival company), and Kratos (also because mascot of a rival company). What do y'all's think?
Honestly I think that's it.

At this point I think were reaching the ceiling when it comes to world shattering big name characters, most third party characters at this point would just be like Bayonetta or Terry level where they aren't exactly unpopular but they aren't household names.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

At this point I think were reaching the ceiling when it comes to world shattering big name characters, most third party characters at this point would just be like Bayonetta or Terry level where they aren't exactly unpopular but they aren't household names.
What about Crash? I'd argue him as well.

D

Deleted member

Someone here once said a PC series like from Blizzard and whatnot would be another ceiling shattering moment. Overwatch comes to my mind, but I'd lose it if we got Star Craft.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st

That's where a lot of my most wanted lie, as well (Dante & Sol). Holding out for Sol, but he has to get past Heihachi (who I think is a terrible fit for Smash).

It's good that way, too. Smash is made up of characters from across gaming, but sometimes Smash is what makes the characters what they are. Look at Captain Falcon, Marth & Roy, Game & Watch, Pit, K Rool,and Terry. Smash Brought all of these characters into the mainstream limelight, and that's something more characters deserve.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Someone here once said a PC series like from Blizzard and whatnot would be another ceiling shattering moment. Overwatch comes to my mind, but I'd lose it if we got Star Craft.
However, Blizzard might be too controversial at the current moment.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Realistically speaking Crash, Master Chief, Steve and Sora are probably the only realistically big names I can see getting in.

Otherwise all others I'd imagine being Bayonetta/Terry level such as Dante, Ryu Hayabusa, Travis, etc. themselves.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Realistically speaking Crash, Master Chief, Steve and Sora are probably the only realistically big names I can see getting in.

Otherwise all others I'd imagine being Bayonetta/Terry level such as Dante, Ryu Hayabusa, Travis, etc. themselves.
Crash might have been a big deal back when Melee or even Brawl released, but he's fallen off hard in terms of popularity, even with his remakes. Plus, the fact that his newer games are all cross-platform removes the 'playstation's mascot' factor that could make his reveal as Earth-shattering as the other 3.

MagnesD3

Smash Master

I’d replace Kratos with Crash and you got it. Crash, Sora and Master Chief are the new big 3 imo. All of them would make huge waves.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Video games are pretty cool. Anyone got obscure weirdo characters they'd want, even if you know it won't happen. I obviously got major/mainstream stuff I'd like to see.

It'd be kind of cool to see Raziel actually be remembered in some fashion again. He's got a really cool design. Though I'm not sure how the soul absorption mechanic would play out. Unless he makes enemies drop a specific resource he can absorb.
1584287219084.png

Maxwell is my second most wanted, only behind Grovyle. He a niche, irrelevant western third party owned by Warner Bros, is never happening, but I can dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom