• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Complaining about a topic doesn't move us out of the topic. You get a lot of likes, but often it makes things worse.

Starting a new topic moves things out of the topic.

And yes I understand the irony of a post complaining about complaining about the topic. :teeth:

So, what do you think the chances are we don't get a Smash reveal in the (allegedly) upcoming Direct?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Ideal direct on 26th:
Starts in the DK house where Banjo was revealed. Everybody is vibing, with Banjo now in the mix. Then they hear explosions and etc-ish sounds outside. They all rush to the hole where the window was, Banjo breaking it further. They look up to see a silhouette of Master Chief. *intense zoom-in* But wait- it’s actually Steve! Steve gameplay etc etc. Shows Steve beating the heck out of Banjo. Cut back to trailer. Steve is standing at the top of a bunch of game ended fighters, being the triumphant icon of gaming. But then he gets vibe checked by Master Chief. Splash screen and then trailer ends right there. It doesn’t need anything else.
I feel like if we get another trailer in the K. Rool/Banjo style, it’ll be for Dixie Kong, since that focus was more on Rare characters than Microsoft specifically.

D

Deleted member

So, what do you think the chances are we don't get a Smash reveal in the (allegedly) upcoming Direct?
Fairly strong. They can easily save FP 6 for E3 (or what's left of it) and also tease FP 7. The wait would be super long, but eh. Doubt they care

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
FE hate always seemed pretty proportional to how much stuff it got in Smash to me. It was fine in Melee and Brawl, complaints started popping up in 4 and they've really hit their zenith with Ultimate DLC. It's not rocket science. Then again neither is the idea of relativity (like FE having RELATIVELY more representation than what the franchise deserves compared to Pokemon and Mario) but plenty of people just see numbers and get confused why Video Game Mickey Mouse and the world's biggest media franchise have lots of characters in a crossover game made by the owners of Video Game Mickey Mouse and partial owners of world's biggest media franchise.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I feel like the Fire Emblem hate stems from the timing of those characters' releases rather than who the actual character is, but who cares, I'm pretty sure everyone expected a Three Houses character would get in anyway, it just came sooner than expected.
nobody really wanted Incineroar in the first place.
Daaaamn, I'm a nobody? That's a shame...

I swear Smash fans are just ungrateful, entitled and spoiled whiny people always hating Fire Emblem and throwing salty tantrums like a manchild over characters getting into Smash instead of many popular and requested characters they always whinging and demanding for. Oh and don't forget them blaming poor Sakurai when a character they want doesn't get in. (No offense.)
I'm pretty sure that it's a common overgeneralization, a lot of Smash fans are just quietly enjoying the game, they don't care much about 'franchise representation' and stuff like that. Sure, unsatisfied people are sometimes pretty loud about what they don't like but they're not representing the whole community, i mean most people here are pretty chill for example. Of course it's all a matter of perspective but most Smash fans i know (me included) have roughly two types of reaction in regards to newcomers:

1. Super hyped.
2. Meh.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I feel like the Fire Emblem hate stems from the timing of those characters' releases rather than who the actual character is, but who cares, I'm pretty sure everyone expected a Three Houses character would get in anyway, it just came sooner than expected.

Daaaamn, I'm a nobody? That's a shame...
I wonder what your Heartless looks like...

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but I think there's a good chance for a PMD rep. This week would've been the perfect chance to have a spirit event, but they did one for Ring Fit. It gets especially weirder when you consider how quick they were with the SWSH spirits, which happened within a week of it's release. Grovyle seems the most logical choice (he's the main character of the most popular game in the series, that's why they chose :ultcloud:) but I guess Gengar or Gardevoir are possible.

Attachments

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Okay so since it’s on topic. The main two arguments I see about FE are
-“Fire Emblem is over represented.”
-“Fire Emblem characters are all the same.”
For the first argument, Mario and Pokémon both have more. And it makes sense since Mario, Pokémon, and Fire Emblem are Nintendo’s biggest franchises. It makes perfect sense.
For the second argument, I can’t exactly disagree, but the people who hate on FE certainly do. Chrom is wanted and celebrated for being a clone, and when we get just one more Fire Emblem character (who is 10x more unique than Chrom) and everybody freaks out.
This community makes no sense.
I know why FE has so many characters. FE is a game series about characters.
Compare this to, say, Zelda - a game about items (which a lot of people think of when you think of Zelda.)
A lot of Zelda items are represented in items you can use in-game, like the Bombchus and the Fairy.
This is because Zelda doesn't have as many important characters as most RPGs, due to it's story and such.

I suppose this kind of explains Hero's alts. Sakurai likes the idea of the heroes you play as in other games fighting! Even if you've not played, say, Three Houses, or Dragon Quest III, or Final Fantasy VII, or Xenoblade Chronicles - the people who did can have the main character, who fought and grew alongside them as their stories unfolded and changed - and see this character in a glorious render, sometimes for the first time - see this character fighting against the icons of the gaming world! For them, it's the next leg of an adventure. The experience of a traditional RPG is a lot more personal than people realise!

Besides, I don't really think that characters alone act as representation, and nor does Sakurai.

After all, we don't have a playable DS stylus (or something to that effect) but we do have the Pictochat stage - and I can't think of an Electroplankton character off the top of my head, nor can I see a rep from 1080 Snowboarding getting in Smash any time soon (but it would be pretty cool to fight as a snowboarder, not gonna lie), or characters from other games that are still represented otherwise- like how Sakurai drew so much attention to the guest SNK characters in the background of the KoF Stadium?

The thing is, the issue of representation is actually a lot larger than people seem to realise. It's not just characters, it's Mii Costumes, stages, music, spirits, references, cameos, items, assist trophies - the list goes on, and that's what makes Smash amazing. The fact that it has so many references and such - even if not as playable characters - is still a glorious testament to the history of gaming, let alone the history of Nintendo. So what if there's a lot of 'anime swordsmen?' Each of them does bring something unique, as large or small as it may be - and just because some people don't like it, doesn't mean no-one does. There are people out there who are happy about Byleth, about Lucina being playable, even if some people might not agree with that - and that's okay!

At the end of the day, Smash may be a celebration, but more than anything it's a game, and we all know that the reason Sakurai works himself almost to death is because he wants us, the players, the fans, to enjoy his game. It's nothing more. He doesn't have a secret agenda, or a ploy to brainwash us all to become Fire Emblem fans or something. He's really a gamer, just like us - but he's in a position where he can make one, with any of the characters in the world, and he's been running with this dream for over 20 years. This man's passion, his joy, is ours to share and enjoy. For the sake of the man who pours his heart and soul into everything he does, can we just stop for a moment and see how far his dream has come?

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I know I sound like a broken record at this point, but I think there's a good chance for a PMD rep. This week would've been the perfect chance to have a spirit event, but they did one for Ring Fit. It gets especially weirder when you consider how quick they were with the SWSH spirits, which happened within a week of it's release. Grovyle seems the most logical choice (he's the main character of the most popular game in the series, that's why they chose :ultcloud:) but I guess Gengar or Gardevoir are possible.
Good music list, but it has a glaring omission for me, which is Temporal Tower. I would love to see a Smash remix of that song.

Insaneintherain has a real good remix of it, kind of how I imagine it would sound in smash.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
FE has a lot of characters in Smash because the series has a lot of characters. Seriously, if Marth was the protagonist in every FE game, the series would be lucky to have even four characters on the roster.

Speaking of Marth, it also helps that he has one of the most vanilla swordfighter movesets imaginable. As we can see through the three characters who were cloned from him, it's not that hard to tack his moveset onto any FE character with a sword and similar body proportions.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
A Smash reveal has been one of my predictions for the next Direct (which of course is apparently coming on the 26th), but the chances of no reveal might've gone down a bit after the physical card release being slated for the 23rd.

The way I see it, we'll probably get a reveal of the next character with no gameplay, with "Now in development." coming after the reveal, like what we saw in Terry's reveal.

Though considering how we're in the dark with what Nintendo has planned for this year and the fact that certain insiders have stepped away from leaking Nintendo stuff, I have a feeling FP6 won't be a big name character (like Sora, Master Chief, Dante, etc.) and will probably be either a character from a series that the community in general isn't too familiar with or a first party from a recent game that hasn't been hit hard with spirit events.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Goodnight everyone. Let’s hope I wake up to an indies direct announcement

I know why FE has so many characters. FE is a game series about characters.
Compare this to, say, Zelda - a game about items (which a lot of people think of when you think of Zelda.)
A lot of Zelda items are represented in items you can use in-game, like the Bombchus and the Fairy.
This is because Zelda doesn't have as many important characters as most RPGs, due to it's story and such.

I suppose this kind of explains Hero's alts. Sakurai likes the idea of the heroes you play as in other games fighting! Even if you've not played, say, Three Houses, or Dragon Quest III, or Final Fantasy VII, or Xenoblade Chronicles - the people who did can have the main character, who fought and grew alongside them as their stories unfolded and changed - and see this character in a glorious render, sometimes for the first time - see this character fighting against the icons of the gaming world! For them, it's the next leg of an adventure. The experience of a traditional RPG is a lot more personal than people realise!

Besides, I don't really think that characters alone act as representation, and nor does Sakurai.

After all, we don't have a playable DS stylus (or something to that effect) but we do have the Pictochat stage - and I can't think of an Electroplankton character off the top of my head, nor can I see a rep from 1080 Snowboarding getting in Smash any time soon (but it would be pretty cool to fight as a snowboarder, not gonna lie), or characters from other games that are still represented otherwise- like how Sakurai drew so much attention to the guest SNK characters in the background of the KoF Stadium?

The thing is, the issue of representation is actually a lot larger than people seem to realise. It's not just characters, it's Mii Costumes, stages, music, spirits, references, cameos, items, assist trophies - the list goes on, and that's what makes Smash amazing. The fact that it has so many references and such - even if not as playable characters - is still a glorious testament to the history of gaming, let alone the history of Nintendo. So what if there's a lot of 'anime swordsmen?' Each of them does bring something unique, as large or small as it may be - and just because some people don't like it, doesn't mean no-one does. There are people out there who are happy about Byleth, about Lucina being playable, even if some people might not agree with that - and that's okay!

At the end of the day, Smash may be a celebration, but more than anything it's a game, and we all know that the reason Sakurai works himself almost to death is because he wants us, the players, the fans, to enjoy his game. It's nothing more. He doesn't have a secret agenda, or a ploy to brainwash us all to become Fire Emblem fans or something. He's really a gamer, just like us - but he's in a position where he can make one, with any of the characters in the world, and he's been running with this dream for over 20 years. This man's passion, his joy, is ours to share and enjoy. For the sake of the man who pours his heart and soul into everything he does, can we just stop for a moment and see how far his dream has come?
I have never seen or heard a better analysis of super smash bros. And I agree with just about everything you said. In the end, Smash Bros is just a game. I don’t know if poetic is the right word but if it is then this post is very much so

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
You gotta remember with Piranha Plant and Incineroar, the backlash wasn't really due to "ugh, not another Mario/Pokemon character". PP has been possibly the most out-of-left-field, wtf choice so far, and those are always divisive at best.
Also Piranha Plant was shown after showing Isaac, Shadow, ARMS, Rex, Chibi Robo, Geno, and Skull Kid will not have a future in Ultimate. Many fan favorites deconfirm from Ultimate yet Piranha Plant of all things not only got in but was sold for $5.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
FE hate always seemed pretty proportional to how much stuff it got in Smash to me. It was fine in Melee and Brawl, complaints started popping up in 4 and they've really hit their zenith with Ultimate DLC. It's not rocket science. Then again neither is the idea of relativity (like FE having RELATIVELY more representation than what the franchise deserves compared to Pokemon and Mario) but plenty of people just see numbers and get confused why Video Game Mickey Mouse and the world's biggest media franchise have lots of characters in a crossover game made by the owners of Video Game Mickey Mouse and partial owners of world's biggest media franchise.
The series with the most characters will always be the target of criticism and complaints, regardless of whether or not it's actually deserved.

I know Mario and Pokemon aren't always at the top of everyone's lists, but is it really that infuriating that Nintendo's two most successful franchises, the games that almost everyone grew up with and probably play to this day, have the most characters on the roster? Is there another franchise that deserves to have more than either of those two, or are people upset because the less popular franchises that they hold dear aren't getting as much attention?

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I swear Smash fans are just ungrateful, entitled and spoiled whiny people always hating Fire Emblem and throwing salty tantrums like a manchild over characters getting into Smash instead of many popular and requested characters they always whinging and demanding for. Oh and don't forget them blaming poor Sakurai when a character they want doesn't get in. (No offense.)
You know people are 100% allowed to not like everything in Smash Bros. Just because Sakurai adds something doesn't mean everyone has to get behind and praise the character he made. Now that character are being sold separately does make the complaints a bad character addition more valid. You don't have to be grateful for a product that doesn't suit your taste.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Honestly, I feel like most people don't even understand why they hate Fire Emblem.
I know they'll say its because of 'too many swords' or 'too much compared to other IPs'.
I think what is actually annoying to people is something a bit more obvious.
Its too many clones of a single character. If we didn't have Roy, Lucina, and Chrom all based off of Marth, we'd be fine. If they were more original, we'd be okay.
Beyond that, I also think that a lot of the hate stems from others being essentially told to hate the series representation.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Okay so since it’s on topic. The main two arguments I see about FE are
-“Fire Emblem is over represented.”
-“Fire Emblem characters are all the same.”
For the first argument, Mario and Pokémon both have more. And it makes sense since Mario, Pokémon, and Fire Emblem are Nintendo’s biggest franchises. It makes perfect sense.
For the second argument, I can’t exactly disagree, but the people who hate on FE certainly do. Chrom is wanted and celebrated for being a clone, and when we get just one more Fire Emblem character (who is 10x more unique than Chrom) and everybody freaks out.
This community makes no sense.
1. You compare the amount Fire Emblem to amount of Mario and Pokemon but there's a huge difference, and that's the Fighters themselves. Many Fire Emblem characters not only look similar but plays similar as well. Many Fire Emblem characters are very similar to each other; Marth & Roy are extremely similar to each other and they also Echo Fighters as well (so you have 4 characters that are clones of one character), majority of them have counters, three of them have charging neutral specials, and a lot of them have the same aesthetics (all use swords and five have blue hair). Meanwhile just about every single Pokemon rep not only look different but plays different. Mario, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina, Bowser Jr, and Piranha Plant all play completely different as well.
2. There are other Nintendo franchises that are bigger than Fire Emblem. Kirby is bigger than Fire Emblem. Zelda is bigger than Fire Emblem.
3. The reason why Chrom was celebrated and Byleth was hated is because people wanted Chrom way back in during Smash 4 (probably around 2012) while Byleth's game was only a few months old when he got added and people weren't really didn't want him. Fire Emblem Awakening revived the series and introduced new people to it, so of course people want to see Chrom gets in. Robin and Lucina was a complete surprise but people totally felt sad for Chrom during that reveal trailer. So when this fan favorite finally got in after the ridicule he received in the last game was a joyous occasion. Meanwhile Three Houses while still being a good game was way too new, and most agree that out of all the characters that are in that game Byleth is extremely dull with barely any emotion. It was clear that Byleth was only include to promote Three Houses seeing how everything was finalized before the game even released, not because people like the game or Byleth. And seeing how ARMS and Rex couldn't get in because their game came out "too late" while Threr Houses released two years after those two games adds more salt to the wounds.
The gimmick doesn't matter, people want to see the character they like in the game. People are perfect fine with a character they like being in as a clone, like Chrom, because they're playable.
I don't know how hard it is to understand that.

D

Deleted member

The series with the most characters will always be the target of criticism and complaints, regardless of whether or not it's actually deserved.

I know Mario and Pokemon aren't always at the top of everyone's lists, but is it really that infuriating that Nintendo's two most successful franchises, the games that almost everyone grew up with and probably play to this day, have the most characters on the roster? Is there another franchise that deserves to have more than either of those two, or are people upset because the less popular franchises that they hold dear aren't getting as much attention?
Yeah oversaturation complaints are totally a bias thing. That's why you see more **** for it in Fire Emblem than Pokemon or Mario--people have more experience with the latter. Everybody's played a Mario and Pokemon game by now since they've been around since the 80s and 90s, but not everybody's played a Fire Emblem game, which only hit it big outside Japan starting Smash 4. And Hell some people just don't give a crap about Pokemon or Mario.

Though I have seen people who really focus on the crossover aspect of Ultimate and would rather just see smaller represented series get their day (Zelda or Xenoblade) or BIG 3rd party series make it in (Master Chief or 2B) over what's already in. Can't blame them, especially the latter, because this photo looks amazing

Screenshot_20200313-232437_YouTube.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly, I feel like most people don't even understand why they hate Fire Emblem.
I know they'll say its because of 'too many swords' or 'too much compared to other IPs'.
I think what is actually annoying to people is something a bit more obvious.
Its too many clones of a single character. If we didn't have Roy, Lucina, and Chrom all based off of Marth, we'd be fine. If they were more original, we'd be okay.
Beyond that, I also think that a lot of the hate stems from others being essentially told to hate the series representation.
People say it's the clones that are the biggest issue people have. But that's the opposite, really. I mean, the most drastic reactions were to who? Not Chrom or Roy or Lucina. People shrugged those off. They were to Corrin and Byleth, original characters. And it wasn't on the basis of them being "bad" characters, it was on the basis of volume: "another FE character".

So if you mean to tell me getting Corrin and Byleth, and then three more original characters would've resulted in less blowback, I'm sorry, but I just can't get behind that idea. It's because, as I'm saying, the root of the issue, whether it's articulated as such or not, is that of quantity.

I mean, half of the entire Zelda series are clones or semi-clones, and yet you don't see people griping about the series' overrepresentation. People might not want another Link but they certainly want another Zelda character. Because again, it's about proportion. Zelda isn't perceived as punching above its weight. Even though it has six characters, some think that's underselling the series.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So COVID's gotten my apartment on lockdown so I'm taking time to go through Dragon Quest 11.
It's pretty good. I kind of forgot what my initial impressions of the character were thanks to Banjo overshadowing him (I'd like to think it was him looking interesting and being happy for his fans), but the game's good enough that I believe that his place in Smash was well-deserved.
Sylvando for Smash.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So much 80s Hayabusa love. I love it!

In comparison, I'm not a fan of most of the "bars" used for other characters. Terry's 100%, Little Mac's punch, Banjo's feathers, even Lucario's aura boost, they're all original takes, but I personally don't like those things much.
I've been playing fighting games for years, so playing Terry with his inputs just comes naturally to me.

And Mac, I don't even pay attention to his meter. I just play normal like till I hear that bell, then throw out that KO!

I swear Smash fans are just ungrateful, entitled and spoiled whiny people always hating Fire Emblem and throwing salty tantrums like a manchild over characters getting into Smash instead of many popular and requested characters they always whinging and demanding for.
Yes. And?

Last edited:

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
I really want a quirk revolving around art, I also would really like to see a weapon stance character able to change weapons similar to how Pokemon Trainer switches Pokemon.

Also a character that stores power in their blade the more damage they inflict on the fighter, and release it. I know Cloud does this, but I'd want someone who can do that with the Iaido swordstyle (but with a better recovery than Cloud.) Until someone like that comes along Cloud will have to do.

Other than that I personally want characters with a fast, quick, nimble gamestyle, who can get in an enemy's face, deal damage and get out; dodging the enemy's attacks, and repeat the process again like Sheik.
That sounds a lot like what Shulk does, no? Or you'd prefer a more permanent change of stance? Because he's a fairly quick character that kinda goes into the Iaido style you're also mentioning.

For art, definitely something I'd see Amaterasu do.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
im sorry to inform you all but mario got coronavirus and now all the smash characters are in self-quarentine and no newcomers are getting in until after the coronavirus outbreak

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Yeah oversaturation complaints are totally a bias thing. That's why you see more **** for it in Fire Emblem than Pokemon or Mario--people have more experience with the latter. Everybody's played a Mario and Pokemon game by now since they've been around since the 80s and 90s, but not everybody's played a Fire Emblem game, which only hit it big outside Japan starting Smash 4. And Hell some people just don't give a crap about Pokemon or Mario.

Though I have seen people who really focus on the crossover aspect of Ultimate and would rather just see smaller represented series get their day (Zelda or Xenoblade) or BIG 3rd party series make it in (Master Chief or 2B) over what's already in. Can't blame them, especially the latter, because this photo looks amazing

View attachment 265697
Or maybe it's because the Mario and Pokemon reps are more unique when compare to the Fire Emblem reps. Also you got the major problem with Corrin and Byleth who were decided solely for marketing reason.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
FE has a lot of characters in Smash because the series has a lot of characters.

View attachment 265697
I say this as someone who does venture onto other platforms which discuss Smash: it's truly a Smashboards-exclusive anomaly that thinking Fire Emblem has a disproportionate amount of characters results in people thinking you're biased against the series.

I mean by this logic, Sakurai is biased against Fire Emblem.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Playing devil's advocate, if overrepresentation is the root of the issue, why is it that Mario characters and Pokemon characters are generally better accepted?
Because those franchises are 10x more popular than FE. Two of gaming's largest franchises, synonymous with gaming itself, and the very core of Nintendo's success.

They actually WARRANT that level of representation. And aren't just one on Nintendo's B-level series that they are so desperate to get over that they keep shoving it in people's faces.

There are two things that I only care for Smash news in this Direct. One, if the first fighter is female, that's gonna save me for the rest of the pass since I got a single character represented. Otherwise, my advocacy is off to a bad start
So...that really *****y thing you did for the entirety of the previous pass...you're just planning to do it all over again this pass?

I mean, the most drastic reactions were to who? Not Chrom or Roy or Lucina. People shrugged those off. They were to Corrin and Byleth, original characters. And it wasn't on the basis of them being "bad" characters, it was on the basis of volume: "another FE character".
I think most people understand that very few resources are spent making those clones. And the only thing you would have got instead of them is...other clones.

Corrin and Byleth were full characters that took real resources that could have been spent on better characters.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Some smash fan: MARIO, ZELDA, and POKEMON deserve MORE characters because they are ICONIC and LARGER franchises compared to FIRE EMBLEM

Nintendo higher ups in a round table: Alright boys! Lets put another Fire Emblem Swordy in Smash!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean at the end of the day, people can say what they want, but I remember when some not only agreed with but employed the very same "saturation" logic to decry the overrepresentation of Gen 1 in Pokemon games without realizing its alternate application and then came up with some very questionable excuses as to how that wasn't a blatant double standard.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You didn't include the rest of my comment which said that FE probably wouldn't have half as many characters as it does now if every game featured Marth as the main character.

You could pull out dozens of characters from multiple Nintendo series. There's Zelda, DK, Kirby, Star Fox – all of them have a pretty extensive cast. However, when you're prioritizing characters and looking at what they've done? Not many of them are really noteworthy enough to be put in Smash when slots are so limited. That's not to say that I don't think there are a few who aren't as deserving as Byleth, but at least you could make the argument that Byleth is the main playable character in his game of origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom