• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You didn't include the rest of my comment which said that FE probably wouldn't have half as many characters as it does now if every game featured Marth as the main character.

You could pull out dozens of characters from multiple Nintendo series. There's Zelda, DK, Kirby, Star Fox – all of them have a pretty extensive cast. However, when you're prioritizing characters and looking at what they've done? Not many of them are really noteworthy enough to be put in Smash when slots are so limited. That's not to say that I don't think there are a few who aren't as deserving as Byleth, but at least you could make the argument that Byleth is the main playable character in his game of origin.
Fire Emblem has noteworthy characters, as do other series. But other series' noteworthy characters seem to be included with much less consistency, despite still being noteworthy. You've also got to ask yourself if starring in one game is actually any more noteworthy than having a recurring role in five, or ten, or twenty? I'd say it depends on the notoriety of the series itself.

It's not like we've got to the point where all the noteworthy characters from every other series have been thoroughly wrung out and included, yet due to FE's size, its stable keeps providing. That, hypothetically, could come at some point, and at that point invoking the size of FE's cast makes sense, but since we're not there yet, shouldn't noteworthy characters come from as equal a plane as possible?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ideal direct on 26th:
Starts in the DK house where Banjo was revealed. Everybody is vibing, with Banjo now in the mix. Then they hear explosions and etc-ish sounds outside. They all rush to the hole where the window was, Banjo breaking it further. They look up to see a silhouette of Master Chief. *intense zoom-in* But wait- it’s actually Steve! Steve gameplay etc etc. Shows Steve beating the heck out of Banjo. Cut back to trailer. Steve is standing at the top of a bunch of game ended fighters, being the triumphant icon of gaming. But then he gets vibe checked by Master Chief. Splash screen and then trailer ends right there. It doesn’t need anything else.
Dunno how you did it but you've just described a trailer in which I have no clue about who got in
And it makes sense since Mario, Pokémon, and Fire Emblem are Nintendo’s biggest franchises.
I'm sorry what

Wii: 202 million
Zelda: 100 million
Smash: 58 million
Donkey Kong: 58 million
Kirby: 38 million
Animal Crossing: 33 million
Metroid: 17 million
Splatoon: 14 million
Star Fox: 12 million
Fire Emblem: 8 million

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Everybody can have their own opinion on FE and its potential saturation. What gets really annoying though is when people, mostly on here, assume EVERYBODY is sick of Fire Emblem. I'm not, and for sure I'm not the only one. It's a great franchise, it was a great addition to Smash, and despite Lucina and Chrom being what I'd call useless clones, all the other characters have been more than welcomed. And yes Three Houses was new, but Byleth is a great character nonetheless, from a great game that sold beyond anything it expected to do. And don't forget that whatever Sakurai thinks (or what you perceive he thinks), he's not the only one involved in the decision process.

Now let's move on and stop on this rehashed debate to actually speculate on relevant newcomers.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Man I wish I loved repitition as much as ypu guys you love talking about hating Fire Emblem instead of potential Smash characters from games you enjoy like idk, from the last 5 games you played
Last 5 games I've played? Um...

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Primid)
Mega Man Maker (Pharaoh Man)
Super Smash Flash 2 (Sandbag)
Mega Man 11 (Acid Man)
Guild Wars 2 (Rytloc)

...Don't look at me like that! I have tons of games!

I just need new controllers so I can play in docked mode so I can have sound without the camera spinning all the time.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Man I wish I loved repitition as much as ypu guys you love talking about hating Fire Emblem instead of potential Smash characters from games you enjoy like idk, from the last 5 games you played
Devil May Cry 3,
Dragon Quest 11,
Celeste,
Shovel Knight
Super Metroid.
If I had to pick characters in these games to playable...
Dante, Sylvando, Madeleine, Shovel Knight, and the biggest, meanest, greenest Space Pirate around.
I am, of course, talking about Draygon.
1584167266265.png

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Devil May Cry 3,
Dragon Quest 11,
Celeste,
Shovel Knight
Super Metroid.
If I had to pick characters in these games to playable...
Dante, Sylvando, Madeleine, Shovel Knight, and the biggest, meanest, greenest Space Pirate around.
I am, of course, talking about Draygon.
View attachment 265705
Draygon's final smash is electrocuting you and having her babies eat you

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Thinks back...
Smash Ultimate
Pokemon Sword
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Monster Boy
World of Warcraft

Nope. A Warcraft character might be neat, but I'm good.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
People say it's the clones that are the biggest issue people have. But that's the opposite, really. I mean, the most drastic reactions were to who? Not Chrom or Roy or Lucina. People shrugged those off. They were to Corrin and Byleth, original characters. And it wasn't on the basis of them being "bad" characters, it was on the basis of volume: "another FE character".

So if you mean to tell me getting Corrin and Byleth, and then three more original characters would've resulted in less blowback, I'm sorry, but I just can't get behind that idea. It's because, as I'm saying, the root of the issue, whether it's articulated as such or not, is that of quantity.

I mean, half of the entire Zelda series are clones or semi-clones, and yet you don't see people griping about the series' overrepresentation. People might not want another Link but they certainly want another Zelda character. Because again, it's about proportion. Zelda isn't perceived as punching above its weight. Even though it has six characters, some think that's underselling the series.
That's primarily because Roy is seen as 'Smash Royalty' due to being amongst the first FE characters included and being from Melee. Lucina was lamented as being a 'Clone' and people demanded she be made a costume. Chrom was only 'okay' to people because of being an Echo..but there were still 'oh, another FE..'
The fact that people complain about characters with original movesets is ludicrous to me.

Zelda's fine to me. It has more than enough representation through characters, stages, music, items, etc..playable characters aren't going to happen much for the series due to how its set up..I just don't think Sakurai wants to include one-offs if he doesn't have to. Fire Emblem is a unique case due to its revolving roster while Zelda's stays relatively the same with a few standalones.

The reason people don't complain about Zelda, or Mario & Pokémon, not having enough and Fire Emblem having too many is due to their misguided belief that more popular series are more 'deserving' of newcomers.

Fire Emblem has noteworthy characters, as do other series. But other series' noteworthy characters seem to be included with much less consistency, despite still being noteworthy. You've also got to ask yourself if starring in one game is actually any more noteworthy than having a recurring role in five, or ten, or twenty? I'd say it depends on the notoriety of the series itself.

It's not like we've got to the point where all the noteworthy characters from every other series have been thoroughly wrung out and included, yet due to FE's size, its stable keeps providing. That, hypothetically, could come at some point, and at that point invoking the size of FE's cast makes sense, but since we're not there yet, shouldn't noteworthy characters come from as equal a plane as possible?
Like I said above, Fire Emblem is a special case due to it having a new roster each game, meaning to represent the newest entry in what is honestly one of Nintendo's most popular and growing franchise is to include a new character. Other series, like Zelda or Mario, can just include a new costume or move to represent the newest entry in the title. For example, Link represents Breath of the Wild through his new costumes and revamped moveset while Mario represents Odyssey through his Wedding Costume and having Cappy added to his Up Special and Taunt..Fire Emblem, on the other hand, can't represent its newest entry by a simple costume swap or a new move. The same can be said for Kirby..just being Kirby represents the newest Kirby game since, well, he's the main character.
The other big, popular series all have their main, important characters included..so its really ending up becoming a 'well..just throw in this side-character'. I mean, I won't complain, I still want Dixie Kong or Princess Hilda, but that is what it is.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
My game list:
Ace Attorney
Shovel Knight
UNICLR
Rivals of Aether
Mega Man Zero

All I'll say is that I never thought I would be more upset that Zero isn't a fighter until now.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I know why FE has so many characters. FE is a game series about characters.
Compare this to, say, Zelda - a game about items (which a lot of people think of when you think of Zelda.)
A lot of Zelda items are represented in items you can use in-game, like the Bombchus and the Fairy.
This is because Zelda doesn't have as many important characters as most RPGs, due to it's story and such
Zelda isn't just a game about items what the actual **** is that take. It is a series full of wonderful characters rich with personality and a world full of sometimes unnecessarily complex lore. When you talk about Zelda, the items aren't what comes up. When I and most likely many others think of Zelda, what probably comes to mind are interactions you have with the characters. Meeting Zelda in OoT, getting help from the Mask Salesman, saving Midna, regaining memories about the champions, so many memorable moments. Zelda does have important characters, it's just that this board decides to ignore them for some reason. Hyrule Warriors has a roster full of Zelda characters and still left out more than a handful of potential characters after the game stopped receiving updates. I know I went off on a tangent there so sorry about that chunk of text, but honestly, every time Zelda comes up it annoys me that Ganon is the only character most people here humor as a possible character.
A Dart Monkey from Bloons Tower Defense. No? Back to Fire Emblem then. (:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Y'all realize that you can like a game/character and also not want them in Smash yes? That is not, in itself, contradictory.

People really don't need to keep bringing up Fire Emblem discussions on here, because honestly they're tired. But can we also not insinuate that someone having a differing opinion on something you support must mean that they hate whatever it is that you support? I see this most with Fire Emblem, but it pops up all the time.

Smashboards, meet nuance. Nuance, meet Smashboards. Get to know each other! ;)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My game list:
Ace Attorney
Shovel Knight
UNICLR
Rivals of Aether
Mega Man Zero

All I'll say is that I never thought I would be more upset that Zero isn't a fighter until now.
So:
April May
Trouple King's Herald
Enkidu
Wrastor
Cerveau

A Dart Monkey from Bloons Tower Defense. No? Back to Fire Emblem then. (:
Binging the Balloon Tower Defense games before flash stops being supported eh?

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Binging the Balloon Tower Defense games before flash stops being supported eh?
I got 5 and 6 for free on the Play Store the first 4 games are too hard for me now lol. But now that you mention it, I'm gonna miss Kingdom Rush. ):

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I know this isn't the point of the post, but you can't really compare F-Zero and Fire Emblem as far as character count goes.

Like, Fire Emblem as a franchise has 596 playable characters. F Zero is quite a bit short.

Last edited:

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
Don-Chan (Taiko No Tatsujin Drum 'n' Fun)
Primid (Smash Ultimate)
The Chicken (Ultimate Chicken Horse)
Rei and Zen (Persona Q)
Agumon (Digimon Cyber Sleuth)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

You're kind of switching your arguement to suit whatever your current point is. You started by comparing FE's multiple main characters to F-Zero's roster of racers. Now you're making it seem like we're talking about Funky Kong or BWD – characters who've never had a game of their own but have obviously reappeared so many times that they're iconic in their own rights.

"Noteworthy character" differs depending on who we're talking about, the success of their franchise, and how many appearances they've made over the years. Samurai Goroh is not comparable to Waluigi. However, FE didn't get it's eight reps through side characters. The main characters are what make up the roster, and that revolving cast with a featuring a new main character in each game is likely what's helped the most in Smash.

Yes, you could argue that someone like Anna could get in if FE consistently reused old characters in each game, but I personally don't think it would've gotten as far as it has now if that were the case. I think FE benefits in the same way as Pokemon, in which new characters with limited relevance add pressure on Sakurai to add them before it's too late.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
You're kind of switching your arguement to suit whatever your current point is. You started by comparing FE's multiple main characters to F-Zero's roster of racers. Now you're making it seem like we're talking about Funky Kong or BWD – characters who've never had a game of their own but have obviously reappeared so many times that they're iconic in their own rights.

"Noteworthy character" differs depending on who we're talking about, the success of their franchise, and how many appearances they've made over the years. Samurai Goroh is not comparable to Waluigi. However, FE didn't get it's eight reps through side characters. The main characters are what make up the roster, and that revolving cast with a featuring a new main character in each game is likely what's helped the most in Smash.

Yes, you could argue that someone like Anna could get in if FE consistently reused old characters in each game, but I personally don't think it would've gotten as far as it has now if that were the case. I think FE benefits in the same way as Pokemon, in which new characters with limited relevance add pressure on Sakurai to add them before it's too late.
One could argue that FE constantly getting main characters added is to its detriment -- while Fire Emblem has huge and diverse cast of characters (owing mostly to the fact that there's a new cast every game), it's the main characters, which are deliberately made to be similar to each other, that are always added.

I could see a lot fewer people complaining about FE if some non-MC's got added instead of, say, Corrin and Byleth.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Guess what, this entire Fire Emblem debate will happen again when Alfonse from Fire Emblem Heroes gets added into Fighters Pass Vol 2.

D

Deleted member

This is a game now is it? Let's see:
Master Core (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)
AGES or Dr. Eggman (Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed)
Steve (Minecraft)
Bandanna Dee (Kirby: Star Allies)
Hat Kid (A Hat in Time)

Speaking of Master Core, what would your opinions be if a Smash original character (Master Hand, Tabuu, Master Core, Galeem, etc.) became playable? I know I personally wouldn't mind seeing it, and I think there's a lot of moveset potential in these characters.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
People would still be upset if Byleth was the 6th FE fighter and Chrom/Lucina were never added (with revamped Roy only being brought back for Everyone is here) imo. You would still have a new FE character is added at every opportunity (Melee, Brawl, Smash 4, Smash 4 DLC, Ultimate, Ultimate DLC).
And meanwhile two XB titles are unrepresented, Zelda still has an underwhelming cast, etc. Clones really aren’t the problem.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
That sounds a lot like what Shulk does, no? Or you'd prefer a more permanent change of stance? Because he's a fairly quick character that kinda goes into the Iaido style you're also mentioning.

For art, definitely something I'd see Amaterasu do.
Yeah something more permanent like Pokemon Trainer but with weapons instead.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
But if I don't talk about hating a thing for the bazillionth time I'll shrink and transform into a corn cob.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's see...

Tom Nook (Animal Crossing Pocket Camp)
Falinks (Pokemon Home)
Hatterene (Pokemon Shield)
Gardevoir (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescuers DX)
Midna (Hyrule Warriors)

I may have been on a bit of a Pokemon binge.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Hey guys. Sorry for not being around recently.
I've been... places.
But I just realized a contradiction in Sakurai's statements, and I just HAD to share my big-brained take.
Sakurai said recently that he's never discarded a character because of lack of ideas.
But back in Smash 4 DLC, Sakurai said that he considered Heihachi, but making a moveset was hard.
Contradiction? Or....
Heihachi confirmed?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I've been... places.
But I just realized a contradiction in Sakurai's statements, and I just HAD to share my big-brained take.
Sakurai said recently that he's never discarded a character because of lack of ideas.
But back in Smash 4 DLC, Sakurai said that he considered Heihachi, but making a moveset was hard.
Contradiction? Or....
Heihachi confirmed?
Possibly. Maybe he just didn't have the time to figure out how he could have worked and now the DLC is spread over two years so they could get ti to click. It's worth noting he's one few previous DLC costumes still not in the game.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Narmaya, or Zooey (Granblue Fantasy Versus)

The Warrior of Light, Y'shtola, or Yugiri Mistwalker (FFXIV)

Zacian (Pokemon S&S)

Spyro (Reignited Trilogy)

Sora (Kingdom Hearts (which I currently beating again, cause my data got deleted before I could play Re: Mind, and I'd already unlocked everything T_T))

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
I've been... places.
Contradiction? Or....
Heihachi confirmed?
All we have is a translation of his column, so idk if we can be certain that he never discards a character because of a lack of ideas, or that he tries not to. Besides, Heihachi was discarded back during Smash 4's development, and that column was about round 2 of Ultimate's DLC -- idk how serious the 'big brained take' is supposed to be, but in any case, saying this statement confirms Heihachi is a stretch.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
People say it's the clones that are the biggest issue people have. But that's the opposite, really. I mean, the most drastic reactions were to who? Not Chrom or Roy or Lucina. People shrugged those off. They were to Corrin and Byleth, original characters. And it wasn't on the basis of them being "bad" characters, it was on the basis of volume: "another FE character".

So if you mean to tell me getting Corrin and Byleth, and then three more original characters would've resulted in less blowback, I'm sorry, but I just can't get behind that idea. It's because, as I'm saying, the root of the issue, whether it's articulated as such or not, is that of quantity.

I mean, half of the entire Zelda series are clones or semi-clones, and yet you don't see people griping about the series' overrepresentation. People might not want another Link but they certainly want another Zelda character. Because again, it's about proportion. Zelda isn't perceived as punching above its weight. Even though it has six characters, some think that's underselling the series.
Lucina got quite a bit of flack when she was unveiled but not for being "Another FE rep", but because she essentially was added to the game for the same reasons Chrom was removed from Smash 4 and people thought they got jibbed. That and her being a 100% moveset clone of Marth got people irritated because she deserved a proper moveset and some even thought if she made it in as a Marth clone, then Chrom should have remained in the roster for the same reason (only he was a mix of Marth & Ike instead of a full clone which is strangely more original then Lucina).

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Revali) [I just realized that I was wrong and this isn't one of the last five games I played]
Black Mesa (Gordon Freeman)
Dragon's Dogma (Arisen)
Guild Wars 2 (Rytlock)
Stellaris (Blorg)
Dota Underlords (Juggernaut)

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Plague Inc.: Coronavirus
Town of Salem: Veteran who claims Jailor and gets Tp/Lo killed
Fire Emblem Three Houses: Byleth
DMC5: Dante
MSGV: Venom Snake

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Alright, question, from this screenshot of the last kirby game, which character wouldn't you mind seeing in Smash Bros as a DLC?

Bandanna Dee. Excellent move set and has potential for spear type

waluigi makes an excellent DLC AT though. Imagine the salt

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Dunno how you did it but you described a trailer in which I have no clue who got in

I'm sorry what

Wii: 202 million
Zelda: 100 million
Smash: 58 million
Donkey Kong: 58 million
Kirby: 38 million
Animal Crossing: 33 million
Metroid: 17 million
Splatoon: 14 million
Star Fox: 12 million
Fire Emblem: 8 million
I meant biggest as in most games. And that still might be wrong cuz I’m too lazy to check. I don’t know how I got so off, but I’m pretty sure I read it somewhere.
Also yeah I know for a fact there’s more Legend of Zelda games since I’ve played over 17 of them so yeah that was wrong too. Like I said, I’m pretty sure I read it somewhere and I should’ve checked to see if it was true before I posted about it. Although I would still argue that they are Nintendo’s most iconic franchises, which may or may not be due to smash bros-

also yeah. the only reason I made the trailer the way I did is because it means we get both characters. They can’t show a character in a trailer and then say sike- they know how badly that will make the fans of that character angry. But I also made it that way cuz I thought it was funny

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Edelgard (Fire Emblem: Three Houses)
Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy)
Frogger (Arcade Archives: Frogger)
Eric Lecarde (Castlevania Bloodlines)
Sypha Belnades (Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse) assuming Alucard is ineligible

lmao three Konami characters

Last edited:

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Characters from the 5 most recently played games:

The Bergsons (from Children of Morta, an amazing roguelike, I highly suggest it)
Copernica (Steamworld Quest)
Wuppo (Wuppo!, a weirdly original indie platformer)
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
Geralt of Rivia (The Witcher 3)

Maybe that last one could have a shot, but beyond that, I'm not sure the first three would have ever been mentioned in a meeting. Neat games though, all quite different, but worth the detour while we wait for news and announcements, and a good occupation during the coronavirus craze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom