• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Outside the context of the FNAF games, he ain't that scary.
Hey that's cheating! That's the cutesy spin-off RPG version! lol

Even so the character's supposed to also serve as a children's mascot in-universe so when the lights are on it's not scary at all. (Or if you don't find GIFs scary. That also helps.)

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Nintendo owned the franchise Fulgore would probably have been added to Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U, likely in place of Little Mac.
It's not really a question of one or another just because they're both fighters. As long as Punch-Out Wii happened and was a success, Little Mac probably would've found his way onto the roster no matter what.

It probably would've been whichever character or characters were closest to the chopping block. Bowser Jr was a character Sakurai described as "lucky to make it" or something to that effect, so maybe him. Or maybe a couple of lower-priority veterans.

But I do agree it probably would've been last time that Killer Instinct got included, had they continued to receive games. And I assume Banjo would've been with Brawl. Perfect Dark might've been in there somewhere too, considering Rare had a lot more plans for that series than came to fruition.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's not really a question of one or another just because they're both fighters. As long as Punch-Out Wii happened and was a success, Little Mac probably would've found his way onto the roster no matter what.
I was thinking they would pick one or the other since they both appeal mostly to American audiences. Of course there's not really any way of knowing that. It's just my guess.

Which is exactly what he'd look like as a Mii costume.
Fair enough. It probably wouldn't look quite so cuddly, but it is a good approximation.

EDIT: I wonder if they'd include the endoskeleton bits...

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I was thinking they would pick one or the other since they both appeal mostly to American audiences. Of course there's not really any way of knowing that. It's just my guess.
I see. Well, when it comes to first-parties, I doubt they'd put some cap on how many western-skewing series they'd be willing to include if they were successful. I'd imagine they'd want all their most successful (feasible) series in there.

It's not like they'd have so many (even with Rare) that it'd be at exclusion of Japanese catering on the roster.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

Amigos.... this is kinda big.
If you're too lazy to watch, Battlefield Wii U was in one of Sakurai's pic of the day pics. Could he have leaked that old versions of Battlefield are going to be playable in the future?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

If you're too lazy to watch, Battlefield Wii U was in one of Sakurai's pic of the day pics. Could he have leaked that old versions of Battlefield are going to be playable in the future?
Bit late on the draw there, mate. We already discussed this.

Anyway, Sakurai said he's been doing this "pic of the day" thing internally with his team for a long time, so this could easily just be a really early beta screenshot.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai plays around with dev tools all the time. Remember when multiple Snakes had the same alt? Or as other people said, it can be from an early build. I doubt this means anything. There isn't any reason why Sakurai would tease an update in a random picture of the day.

Also, linking a PapaGenos video about it makes it even harder for me to take this seriously.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Why would Sakurai upload a picture of the Smash 4 battlefield in Ultimate if he has no intention of releasing it? If he really didn't want fans to be taking these photos as hints he probably shouldn't have released that picture.

Besides if Fighter 6 is going to be taking "some time" to be revealed then we could see some additional content before then. I think updated versions of past battlefields could be a possibility.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
At least that Battlefield image gives us something to speculate about during this drought.
I'm kinda surprised that they haven't sold any of the cut Smash 4 stages as DLC yet. Jungle Hijinxs and Rainbow Road might be a problem, but the rest should be an easy port.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wii U Battlefield is in itself not that exciting, it’s mostly just a dull version of Ultimate’s Battlefield. The idea of being able to toggle old versions of Battlefield and potentially Final Destination is cool though, like Melee Battlefield and Melee Final Destination would be ace. Brawl Final Destination would also be cool as long as they fix those cursed ledges.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Wii U Battlefield is in itself not that exciting
On it's own, no. But if it's a harbinger to getting some of the other missing stages into Ultimate, then that is pretty exciting.

Oh my God, they are gonna bring back Charizard?? Guess we're getting a Sword and Shield rep after all.
Pokemon Trainer's Echo is JUST Charizard, now with Gigantamax Final Smash? Sounds good to me.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
As someone who considers Earthbound the easiest fanbase to poke fun at, wanting Ninten is ACTUALLY dumb, people complain about characters being redundant because they both wield the same weapon despite using it differently and then here's Ninten who looks the EXACT ****ing same as Ness who'd most likely have the exact same moveset
You can think whatever you want, but there's no need to be that rude and immature about it.

When some rando acts like a jackass everyone dunks on them but I guess when it's one of the cool kids they get showered in likes for the same kind of behavior.

Krankees

Smash Ace

You're a bit late since it's already been talked about.

Also, I had a feeling this video was coming.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
You can think whatever you want, but there's no need to be that rude and immature about it.

When some rando acts like a jackass everyone dunks on them but I guess when it's one of the cool kids they get showered in likes for the same kind of behavior.
This post has 12 likes in less than an hour.
The irony.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Good morning guys, I just woke up, so who got spirited-

>Warframe

bulgyeyeridley.jpg

I don't know who I expected to be spirited away, but I sure didn't expect a Warframe spirit to be in Smash, ever.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887

To me it sounded more like they were angry than rude. It definitely seems like the only reason they were acting so aggressive is because people complain about FE when there are characters like Ninten getting requested. While they shouldn’t have said it the way they did, the reason they get showered in likes would be because they’re right.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
To me it sounded more like they were angry than rude. It definitely seems like the only reason they were acting so aggressive is because people complain about FE when there are characters like Ninten getting requested. While they shouldn’t have said it the way they did, the reason they get showered in likes would be because they’re right.
If that is really the case, there's no reason to use literally the same arguments against a character you don't like, yes?

Plus, if you get mad at others poking fun at your fanbase, but then constantly do the same to other fanbases, all your good points might as well have gone out the window.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

>Sakurai would never give Ninten a redesi--

:pit::peach::sheik::4feroy::ultzelda::4palutena:*

* Palutena was originally given that redesign in Brawl before Uprising and Smash 4.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't care if they're right or not, it's an opinion, people can agree or disagree, but it's not cool to see so many people tolerate that kind of behavior.

I mean, when that guy from GameFAQs calls Shantae and Geno "Shantal" and "Genoke" people tell them off, even if they don't think Shantae or Geno are likely, or cool characters, or anything. It's just not a cool thing to do, it's flaming, and therefore people take offense with it. So it's pretty hypocritical when later, someone blatantly attacks a fanbase by calling them, and I quote, "the easiest fanbase to poke fun at", and "ACTUALLY dumb" just for supporting a character. And this is far from her only time being unnecessarily rude, not to characters she doesn't like, but to their fans. And it seems to me like if it were anyone else saying that it wouldn't be tolerated.

For the record, you can find me stating many times that I think the swordfighter complaint is one of the dumbest things ever, so I feel like "well you see, supporting X is objectively worse than supporting Y" doesn't cut it as a defense. It just comes across as not wanting to be the one getting picked on, so you pick on someone else to deflect.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
If that is really the case, there's no reason to use literally the same arguments against a character you don't like, yes?

Plus, if you get mad at others poking fun at your fanbase, but then constantly do the same to other fanbases, all your good points might as well have gone out the window.
There are reasons to use the same arguments against a character you don’t like. It’s to prove a point. I can’t speak for the original poster, but for me, it’s not even not liking Ninten. It’s just not liking the fact that people request an actual clone and then complain about characters that do play differently just because they have a sword.
And I understand the second paragraph, except I think the whole point of original post wasn’t to poke fun. It was to prove a point (I think) and you can see how they’re trying to do that. ‘You act like this about sword fighters, but then go and request actual clones’. Like I said, it could’ve been said differently, but the point they were trying to make is still right.

Last edited by a moderator:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
There are reasons to use the same arguments against a character you don’t like. It’s to prove a point. I can’t speak for the original poster, but for me, it’s not even not liking Ninten. It’s just not liking the fact that people request an actual clone and then complain about characters that do play differently just because they have a sword.
And I understand the second paragraph, except I think the whole point of original post wasn’t to poke fun. It was to prove a point (I think) and you can see how they’re trying to do that. ‘You act like this about sword fighters, but then go and request actual clones’. Like I said, it could’ve been said differently, but the point they were trying to make is still right.
So basically... the "point" is that the character would absolutely, with 100% chance, be a clone with nothing original and people shouldn't want them while disliking FE because it's hypocritical?

If so, then it really is no different than the stupid points made against the FE characters. "The easiest fanbase to poke fun at" certainly doesn't help said point either.

For a change of pace, now... I do wonder if we could get standalone stages from third party series, like the Spirits we got. It would certainly be cool.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
So basically... the "point" is that the character would absolutely, with 100% chance, be a clone with nothing original and people shouldn't want them while disliking FE because it's hypocritical?

If so, then it really is no different than the stupid points made against the FE characters. "The easiest fanbase to poke fun at" certainly doesn't help said point either.

For a change of pace, now... I do wonder if we could get standalone stages from third party series, like the Spirits we got. It would certainly be cool.
The “point” is closer to Lucina is more dissimilar to Chrom than Ninten could ever be to Ness. They get angry over blue hair, but ask for identical characters.
Also yeah I have to go soon and can’t keep talking about this-
Courtroom no. 2

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
>Sakurai would never give Ninten an original redesi--

* Palutena was originally given that redesign in Brawl before Uprising and Smash 4.
I would cut Zelda from that, he pretty much specified that her design is from the AL(ttp/bW)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I would cut Zelda from that, he pretty much specified that her design is from the AL(ttp/bW)
He confirmed in one of his interviews that it was a mix between her look from A Link to the Past and A link Between Worlds.
Much Like Roy's design was a mix between his game and his redesign in Awakening.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Making an argument that doesn't make sense doesn't make you smarter than other people who use it, if anything it makes you just as wrong. And it just serves to upset people who see the argument for what it is.

And that's even if you buy into the altruistic intentions, and not that it's just a thinly-veiled attack on a fanbase.

The “point” is closer to Lucina is more dissimilar to Chrom than Ninten could ever be to Ness. They get angry over blue hair, but ask for identical characters.
Courtroom no. 2
There are much more respectful ways to make that point, which would lead to actual debate over the matter. For one, I'd argue (like CJBrine and others have attempted) that similarities between Ninten and Ness are overstated. And also, and I can't stress this enough, you can't just take the fanbase of any character you dislike and pretend they're all and only FE haters. That's called a strawman. For all you know Ninten fans are actually sympathetic to FE fans as they too are constantly refuting the notion that their character is redundant.

The point being, we can have civil debate over Ninten. I, for one, would welcome the opportunity to at least try to convince people on Ninten's potential, if not his chances. But that's not how you start a civil debate. That's flaming. It shouldn't be treated as anything but, no matter if you like the character, the franchise, or the person doing the flaming.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
He confirmed in one of his interviews that it was a mix between her look from A Link to the Past and A link Between Worlds.
Much Like Roy's design was a mix between his game and his redesign in Awakening.
Then shame on you for leaving out Ridley, Simon, Wolf, and anyone who isn't actually original but if a mishmash is good enough then welcome everyone.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What's all this fanbase talk I'm seeing here?
CutieGwen said something inflammatory so we have a small fire. Not too much to note. I think it's out now.

To be honest, I'm inclined to agree with GoodGrief741; You really shouldn't call anyone dumb for any reason other than doing a stupid. (Liking a character is not a stupid.)

Courtroom no. 2
They actually could make Ninten unique (could being the key word). All of Earthbound's protagonists are healing/support characters, and Ninten could reflect this with abilities like PSI Shield and...I don't know Ninten's PSI list offhand.

EDIT: He could also have a teleport recovery in 4th D(imension) Slip. It's the only other PSI I remember him having because it doesn't appear anywhere else.

>Sakurai would never give Ninten an original redesi--

Peach's design is just Peach, but with more detail. I'm not sure that counts as a redesign. I believe Sheik draws on an unused design, though I could be mistaken for that.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Then shame on you for leaving out Ridley, Simon, Wolf, and anyone who isn't actually original but if a mishmash is good enough then welcome everyone.
I'm sure I missed out some, I was debating myself whether or not to include Daisy into this as well in case I'd get any comments of her essentially just having her head pasted over Peach's model and recoloured....

All the more reason the whole Ninten design thing is just silly when they can, and most likely will, give him a redesign.

Peach's design is just Peach, but with more detail. I'm not sure that counts as a redesign. I believe Sheik draws on an unused design, though I could be mistaken for that.
It's still a redesign through and through, she got more realistic proportions too compared to her mainline Mario appearances where she looks a lot more cartoony and stylized, proportion and design wise.

Sheik I believe was stated to be Sakurai visiting the Twilight Princess dev team and asking them if they could draft up a design of Sheik if she was hypothetically in that game. I think more info was given on that in the old Hyrule Historia book.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm sure I missed out some, I was debating myself whether or not to include Daisy into this as well in case I'd get any comments of her essentially just having her head pasted over Peach's model and recoloured....
The dress is different though so by your logic it is one. I personally don't think it counts but I don't have the time to argue and it's not that important anyway. I will say though, that almost every character with a redesign in the game does so to pull pieces from their other redesigns. Ninten has never been officially redesigned so it's unlikely he'd receive one now.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The dress is different though so by your logic it is one. I personally don't think it counts but I don't have the time to argue and it's not that important anyway. I will say though, that almost every character with a redesign in the game does so to pull pieces from their other redesigns. Ninten has never been officially redesigned so it's unlikely he'd receive one now.
He has that design from his game's commercial they could take elements from.
I don't see why not, Sakurai has used elements from outside games before in Smash. I think there was even a song from a commercial in Smash too.

Also I'm fairly sure Pit and Palutena's redesign's where almost entirely original and created from scratch.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I have to go.

*nosebleeds*

*sigh* Well since I have more time...
He has that design from his game's commercial they could take elements from.
Didn't know that. So long as it's substantial enough they'll likely use that so they're not quizzing people on which one wears their hat brim on the left or which one has the scarf instead of backpack.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Isn't the Hurry Up logo on WarioWare Wario's jacket also exclusive to Smash?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Why? Her game isn't getting ported anytime soon due to Monolith working on the Xenoblade remake, and Rex was clearly the more popular choice anyway given that Sakurai bothered to give him a costume and specifically call him out as a character he would have probably put in if he had more development time. I'm all for more Xenoblade representation, but how exactly does Elma have a good chance?
Cause Rex effectively got Smash 4 Chrom’d with said costume. Plus, Xenoblade 2 would have been too old to use Rex to promote it, but if Xenoblade X got a Definitive Edition, or even if she appeared in Xenoblade DE, Elma would be back into the spotlight.

alternatively you also got Mecha Fiora. Yes she’s in Shulk’s Final Smash, but I see that and raise you an Ultimate Chrom who is playable, still in Robin’s Final Smash, and still in Robin’s victory animation too. Also, Xenoblade DE would totally put her back into the spotlight

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom