• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The storm is the part of the arena that deals continuous damage to players. It's there to keep players interacting with each other even though the map is ginormous, and also to vary up the locations players interact with even though there's only one map.
at which point do i get to do the carlton dance

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
That is a lie! No one can stop the p!
View attachment 263818
Dread it. Run from it. It is coming for you.
LOL, I meant to say that if there really was a Five Nights at Freddy's Mii Costume, I would stop playing the game for a week or two. I don't want nightmare fuel like that in my Smash game.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Well, who exactly do you want anyway? Let alone for a Spirit event, but not something more substantial like a character? It should be kind of blessing in disguise no newer series people have been asking for got the Spirit treatment. Cause I'll admit to not caring about Warframe. But it's better than ruling out something like Crash or No More Heroes.

Though really, even a series like this getting mentioned is kind of neat, despite my lack of interest in it.
I literally want no one as a Spirit Event. Spirits are so meaningless, they're something that I could get through Google Image. I spend more time trying to find the characters on the Spirit Board than I do actually fighting them. I believe I spend less then 10 minutes fighting every single Spirit Event combine together. It's just padding and a really uninteresting way of adding characters just to say they're in Ultimate. Right now Spirits are just feeling like Ready Player One cameos, plus it does start feeling like Nintendo is just wasting a bunch of money just to acquire these PNG pictures.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I literally want no one as a Spirit Event. Spirits are so meaningless, they're something that I could get through Google Image. I spend more time trying to find the characters on the Spirit Board than I do actually fighting them. I believe I spend less then 10 minutes fighting every single Spirit Event combine together. It's just padding and a really uninteresting way of adding characters just to say they're in Ultimate. Right now Spirits are just feeling like Ready Player One cameos, plus it does start feeling like Nintendo is just wasting a bunch of money just to acquire these PNG pictures.
The menu time required to do so alone would take longer than 10 minutes. Everything else you said is a valid criticism.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So who do you all think are our frontrunners for Nintendo fighters in FP2?
Hard to say; I'd like to think that a Xenoblade character is likely, though I figure we'll either get a blatant promotional pick or a character who proved to be unexpectedly or consistently popular during the build-up of the first Fighters Pass. (I'm expecting the former, given that Roy, Corrin, and to a much lesser extent Byleth all got into Smash for that reason, but I figure that the second Fighters Pass was, at least in part, made for the second reason)

As for something specific, I'm hoping for Elma, expecting someone like Rillaboom (Baboom? The final evolution of the grass starter from Sword/Shield - any of the starters could probably work, since I know very little about them) for a promotional pick, and expecting someone like Bandanna Waddle Dee if they're going for Nintendo characters with consistent fan demand.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I hope we get a Panzer Dragoon Spirit.

Speaking of which, I wonder how the remake is coming along on the Switch. They said it was coming in Winter, but Winter is officially over by March 20th, so hopefully we'll get something soon.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
So who do you all think are our frontrunners for Nintendo fighters in FP2?
I'm gonna make two sets of predictions.

Base game content can and will be promoted: Waluigi takes this easily. Beyond that, I can see Paper Mario, a Galarian Pokémon (such as Cinderace, Rillaboom or Toxtricity), some form of Xenoblade representative, likely Elma or Rook, and Bandana Waddle Dee as major candidates, with an honorable mention going to Isaac who would be in Waluigi's shoes if there was more demand for him than Waluigi. As it stands, all of them promote either confirmed or potential upcoming releases (say, a new Super Mario title, a Kirby title, a potential Paper Mario game, Xenoblade DE, or SwSh DLC) and they'd be in Nintendo's best interests due to their popularity.

Only games without content will get Challenger Packs in the future: We're still getting a Galarian Pokémon, except it'll probably be Urshifu. I could see a Breath of the Wild 2 character maybe worming their way in? Aside from that, unless new characters are introduced from potential releases, Nintendo is tapped out since Byleth happened and Howard got Spirited away.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I spend more time trying to find the characters on the Spirit Board than I do actually fighting them.
The menu time required to do so alone would take longer than 10 minutes. Everything else you said is a valid criticism.
You do know that after fighting an event spirit you can just use the 'refill' item thing to just summon the next, right? So long as you aren't changing your spirits every round, the menus take almost no time at all.

plus it does start feeling like Nintendo is just wasting a bunch of money just to acquire these PNG pictures.
Unless you're a shareholder this really shouldn't matter. "Nintendo is wasting their money" is the maxim of either fanboys who don't understand that Nintendo's margins aren't their concern, or people who are just looking to rattle off every conceivable negative about something they don't like, even when it doesn't actually affect them.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Dang, Warbutt got a spirit in Smash.

Of course, it never would've happened like that in Warbutt, as the game is real life and if you did in the game you become a spirit in real life.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You do know that after fighting an event spirit you can just use the 'refill' item thing to just summon the next, right? So long as you aren't changing your spirits every round, the menus take almost no time at all.
I wasn't trying to imply that they were clunky or anything. I didn't know you could jump from one fight to the next without much menu interaction though.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Maybe this is just a very early Smash build or something.

Or perhaps 8.0.0 will allow us to change Battlefield or FD versions.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Maybe this is just a very early Smash build or something.

Or perhaps 8.0.0 will allow us to change Battlefield or FD versions.
Not gonna lie, I would love it if the Battlefield and Final Destination stages from previous games were brought back, either as separate stages, or as just toggle-able versions of the current ones in Ultimate.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I think Elma has a good chance.
Why? Her game isn't getting ported anytime soon due to Monolith working on the Xenoblade remake, and Rex was clearly the more popular choice anyway given that Sakurai bothered to give him a costume and specifically call him out as a character he would have probably put in if he had more development time. I'm all for more Xenoblade representation, but how exactly does Elma have a good chance?

D

Deleted member

Dough Bowser: SAKURAIIIIIIII!

Sakurai: Mr. Bowser! I was just... Posting a PotD on my Twitter feed! Old Smash 4 tradition! Care to join me?

Bowser: Why is Smash 4 Battlefield on a Smash Ultimate pic Sakurai?

Sakurai: Oh! That isn't DLC! It's a pic of a beta build of the Game I had saved! Uuum! Beta build pics!

*Dough Bowser leaves room*

Sakurai: phew

*Sakurai keeps leaking stuff on Twitter*

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Smash 4's Battlefield would be a neat swap and all but we still need justice for Pac-Maze.

D

Deleted member

Oddity in Sakurai's pic of the day

That's Smash 4's battlefield.
Oddly enough, my heart skipped when we thought that we are getting hints on a new character, but it turns out to be a change on an existing stage. And it's Battlefield nonetheless. That aside, I kind hope that this is a new feature that could be added.

Smash 4's Battlefield would be a neat swap and all but we still need justice for Pac-Maze.
Who knows, maybe the next patch will add new stages in the base game for free...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Sakurai: Mr. Bowser! I was just... Posting a PotD on my Twitter feed! Old Smash 4 tradition! Care to join me?

Sakurai: Oh! That isn't DLC! It's a pic of a beta build of the Game I had saved! Uuum! Beta build pics!

"I thought that was a beta build"
"No, no, I said later build! That's what I call the classic Battlefield DLC!"

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wasn't trying to imply that they were clunky or anything. I didn't know you could jump from one fight to the next without much menu interaction though.
Yeah, it really expedites the process, though it does remind me of how toothless the challenges in Ultimate are compared to the older games.

I think Elma has a good chance.

If you say so~

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
All I want is Itsuki from Mirage Sessions as a Joker echo
>another Marth
20200218_154404.png

Is that a steamed hand reference?
In this time of year? In this time of day? In this part of the internet? Localized entirely in this thread?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Lets' just hope that Xeno1 Definitive sells well enough to prompt Monolithsoft to actually make the long-awaited XenoX remake.
Used to be games were older than five years before their remakes were "long-awaited".

Delightfully devilish, Sakurai.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Elma is cool and a character I would like to see be playable. I don't really see why people think she's likely though when XCX wasn't exactly successful and when there probably isn't a XCX port or remake happening anytime in the near future due to the XC: DE already being a thing. I guess there could be a sequel to XCX (the first game did end on a cliffhanger), but that's not something I would make bets on.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Elma is cool and a character I would like to see be playable. I don't really see why people think she's likely though when XCX wasn't exactly successful and when there probably isn't a XCX port or remake happening anytime in the near future due to the XC: DE already being a thing. I guess there could be a sequel to XCX (the first game did end on a cliffhanger), but that's not something I would make bets on.
I mean, Xeno games having unresolved plots and cliffhangers isn't exactly a new thing *COUGH*Xenogears*COUGH*

D

Deleted member

I've never played the original game (never owned a Wii U), but hey, XCX is, from what I have heard, quite amazing from. I do hope that the game does get ported to the Switch.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I mean, Xeno games having unresolved plots and cliffhangers isn't exactly a new thing *COUGH*Xenogears*COUGH*
Well, I certainly recognize that something having a cliffhanger doesn't necessarily guarantee a sequel too. As a Golden Sun fan I am more than aware of that fact...*remembers Dark Dawn's ending*

D

Deleted member

Well, I certainly recognize that something having a cliffhanger doesn't necessarily guarantee a sequel too. As a Golden Sun fan I am more than aware of that fact...*remembers Dark Dawn's ending*
*looks up when Dark Dawn is released*

10 years is overdue. Like, REAL overdue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom