• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
For reference, here's the results of the 2018 poll:
I suspect a lot of those characters are going to drop off big time in favor of third parties. Isaac is still going to place high and Geno is going to take the #1 spot I bet.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I can't wait to see the three other people besides me who voted Octoling.
As of the time I posted this, your post has two likes, neither of which is Rie, so...

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
huh, I guess y'all are being pretty chill with this

none of these are necessarily the absolute top of the tops or the worst of the worst. Simply characters I have a slightly more positive or negative spin on

2B
Kratos
Jonesy
Travis
Professor Layton
Lloyd
Want: 2B, Kratos, Professor Layton
Don't want: Travis, Lloyd, Jonesy

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Want- Sephiroth, Hat Kid, Waluigi
Don't want- Eggman, Doom Slayer, Mallow
This is pretty close to being on the money, except swap Sephiroth for Eggman.

I made a mistake putting Mallow on there in the first place (I'm more neutral on Mallow), as that means I really only left two characters I'm not huge into the idea of: Sephiroth and Doom Slayer. My bad, I should've double-checked it before I posted it. Buuut since Mallow is more of an "Eh, it'd be neat, I suppose" compared to other picks for me, I'll just say it counts and you got the guess right, lol. :p

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I think this around the time where, Ridley, while still pretty popular, his fans were real low on morale. I know I kind of was.
I remember this was around the time you couldn't even bring up the character outside of Smash without being reminded that he would never be put in, so to me discussing him felt forbidden and a target for ridicule. Discussion about him as a fighter in Smash may have died down, but said discussion feels a lot healthier as a result; Nowadays I can talk about his characterization and potential roles in future games, both Metroid and Nintendo in general, without feeling like I'm doing something wrong.
1581960662957.png

I dunno what the point of this spiel was besides how even though I don't want certain characters like Waluigi in Smash, I'm not going to ridicule the fans of any characters for their choices.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I don't know who would be #1 in their poll at all this time. Sora seem obvious enough, but there are a lot of detractors for him so I'm not sure. What will be interesting is seeing which first party characters make it to top 50, because I honestly don't think many of them will be voted. Characters Rex and Pyra and Waluigi might stay, but characters like Dixie Kong and Impa are definitely going to be dropped when we the results.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I imagine the top 4 is almost certainly going to be Geno, Sora, Crash and Master Chief, in whatever order. Not super sure on who would round off the top 5, maybe Dante given his strong momentum recently, or maybe Waluigi powers through despite being an AT, although I kinda doubt that since perceived likelihood has such a strong impact on these things. It's going to be really depressing to see how far Bandana Dee falls, he's just not had a great time in the past year or so.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Want: 2B, Kratos, Professor Layton
Don't want: Travis, Lloyd, Jonesy
4/6

swap Jonesy and Kratos around

knew those two would blindside

Jonesy would be interesting as a wildcard pick and pretty humorous. I see a lotta moveset potential with the weapons and building

As for Kratos, I wouldn't mind him, but he's also not my ideal choice when it comes to Sony representation.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I would like to be wrong, but anytime people mention ATs getting upgraded, it's usually Waluigi, Isaac, and Shovel Knight with the occasional Zero and Shadow fan. Even Midna and Krystal get pretty sandbagged.

Granted I'd like Isaac, Spring-Man or Knuckles to pull the miracle(as far as ATs go). But Bomberman's got some of the most prestige out of those ATs.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Don’t know how well this holds up today, but it’s amazing to see Takamaru in the top 20! I guess he had good advertising throughout the WiiU/3DS era.

I would like to be wrong, but anytime people mention ATs getting upgraded, it's usually Waluigi, Isaac, and Shovel Knight with the occasional Zero and Shadow fan. Even Midna and Krystal get pretty sandbagged.

Granted I'd like Isaac, Spring-Man or Knuckles to pull the miracle(as far as ATs go). But Bomberman's got some of the most prestige out of those ATs.
Hmmm not saying it’s likely to happen, but which ATs could seamlessly be replaced with a similar character? (Similar enough to be an echo).

I can think of a few:

Shadow: Shadow Android, Mephiles, maybe even Silver (replacing Chaos Control with “Its no use!”)

Isaac: Felix or Mathew

Shovel Knight: Black Knight (though we’d have two of them now).

Spring Man: Ribbon Girl (but I’d prefer Ribbon Girl be playable tbh)

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

It feels like third-party fans are more willing to accept minor content when Bomberman's AT and indie Mii costumes didn't cause the same ****storms as Rex's costume or Isaac returning to the assist roster.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Don’t know how well this holds up today, but it’s amazing to see Takamaru in the top 20! I guess he had good advertising throughout the WiiU/3DS era.
Being a retro character during base game speculation helped him a lot. He's the next retro Nintendo character many people expect, even now I bet, but DLC is a whole different thing so don't be surprised if his votes drop by a lot.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Personally I'd go with Ratchet and Clank. But who did you have in mind? Jak? Kat? Parappa the Rapper?
Parappa, mostly due to my rhythm game bias, not to mention being one of the few og PlayStation mascots that Sony still owns

I'd also be pretty cool with Ratchet & Clank and Kat tho

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Parappa, mostly due to my rhythm game bias, not to mention being one of the few og PlayStation mascots that Sony still owns

I'd also be pretty cool with Ratchet & Clank and Kat tho
I can respect that. If only Sony were known for playing nice more often. We might have more honest guessing/discussion revolving around their series. They got quite a few options.

Krankees

Smash Ace
With five games in and a wave of dlc just finished, I have a question for everyone. Are any of your dream characters a fighter in smash?

For me, sort of. There were a lot of characters that I liked that got into smash such as Sonic, Mega Man, and Ryu. But I never actively gave much serious thought about the possibility of them arriving before they were revealed. While I'm grateful they got in, Phoenix would technically be the first dream character that I've actively wanted.

blackghost

Smash Champion
for the people that want Master chief i do find it interesting that a game like killer instinct had a choice to add him and actively passed because arbitar was more interesting to make a moveset for, how would you as his fans make him interesting.

i think one thing that many fps characters(outside of doomguy) have going against them is that their potential movesets are often limited.

in terms of sony rep ratchet and clank over kratos easily.

With five games in and a wave of dlc just finished, I have a question for everyone. Are any of your dream characters a fighter in smash?

For me, sort of. There were a lot of characters that I liked that got into smash such as Sonic, Mega Man, and Ryu. But I never actively gave much serious thought about the possibility of them arriving before they were revealed. While I'm grateful they got in, Phoenix would technically be the first dream character that I've actively wanted.
i got my dream character in Bayonetta if i get dante in wave 2 that would be 2/3 total dream characters with sephiroth being the third.

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace

For me unfortunately no my dream characters aren't a fighter yet.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

I've got two of them in Smash in the form of :ultisabelle: and :ult_terry:.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

I'm pretty basic, but:
:ultmewtwo::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultridley::ultsimon::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:
I'd have to say yes.
I think the only "dream" character I have left is a whole new Zelda character, whether that be Skull Kid, Vaati, or a thoroughly decloned Ganon.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace

Incineroar was my pipe dream pick before the game was even revealed. I latched on to Vergeben's comments when he said Incineroar might be the new Pokemon, groaned when Grinch came out at the last second, and rejoiced when Ken showed up in a wrestling ring.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Being a retro character during base game speculation helped him a lot. He's the next retro Nintendo character many people expect, even now I bet, but DLC is a whole different thing so don't be surprised if his votes drop by a lot.
Saying who's the most likely retro Nintendo character seems like a weird idea. They're all older titles with little in the way of modern versions. But I guess since Takamaru being a Samurai and all, it's easier to imagine how he'd make for a fighter than say Duck Hunt for quite a few people early on. And Duck Hunt's got a pretty neat moveset.

For me, that'd be Mega Man and Ridley. But there's a LOT of characters I like in this game. Hard to be disappointed when Little Mac, Ryu, Terry and Dark Samus are also in the game, y'know?

Basically, most other stuff I'd like to see is icing on the cake. And in the case of getting another Mega Man character, seeing characters like Ken and Chrom make it in feels like there's a small chance of it happening, and with MM as my favorite platformer series. It'd be pretty sick. For brand new series, Tekken's my favorite FG franchise, and I think Ryu Hayabusa's really cool. So I want to see Jin Kazama and Hayabusa as other "dream picks."

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Toon Link is pretty much my only dream character that made it in so far. So yeah, been waiting a while for my next one...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
for the people that want Master chief i do find it interesting that a game like killer instinct had a choice to add him and actively passed because arbitar was more interesting to make a moveset for, how would you as his fans make him interesting.

i think one thing that many fps characters(outside of doomguy) have going against them is that their potential movesets are often limited.

i got my dream character in Bayonetta if i get dante in wave 2 that would be 2/3 total dream characters with sephiroth being the third.
I've yet to play Halo though I own the MCC, but a gunslinger hasn't really been done in Smash yet, not to mention you can use bubble shields or other weaponry Chief has in his arsenal

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

That's a good question. I feel like mechanically, some of the gimmicks you give Master Chief could be pulled from Arbiter in his KI appearance. Like with the shield. But I imagine since Halo's got stuff like that Hammer and the Plasma Blade, it's not like his entire moveset would be just shooting. Maybe an ammo mechanic? But that seems more up the alley of RE, where resource management is made to be a big deal. While Halo's more action oriented.

Personally, since gunner's haven't been explored a ton, I someone like MC would offer some cool stuff if they bring in a lot of the flashier weapons.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Mines in my sig.
But if I had to extend them:

1) Mike (O)
2) Sonic (O)
3) Hero (O)
Alt3) Crono (X)
4) Megaman (O)
5) Little Mac (O)
6) Simón Belmont (O)
7) Doomguy (X)
8) Joe Musashi (X)
Alt8) Ryu Hayabusa (X)

These are my Top 10, the Alt numbers fill the same role to me as the non alts.
So for example, because I have Hero, I don’t really need Crono now. Although it would still kick ass to have.

Sakurai has treated me really well. I can’t really complain. My only ONLY wish is that we don’t get another Fire Emblem character. It shouldn’t be an unreasonable request... but...

Last edited:

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Honestly the first Sourcegaming Poll that came to my mind when i saw the tweet about the new Poll was this one from last year

I don't expect the new one to be much different from this one

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Saying who's the most likely retro Nintendo character seems like a weird idea. They're all older titles with little in the way of modern versions. But I guess since Takamaru being a Samurai and all, it's easier to imagine how he'd make for a fighter than say Duck Hunt for quite a few people early on. And Duck Hunt's got a pretty neat moveset.
There's that and also the fact that there just aren't many retro characters put over Takamaru. Balloon Fighter and Mach Rider are the only other ones I think might get in over him.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Honestly, it's possible there may have been restrictions from 343 Studios in that regard.

See a similar thing kinda happened with Dead or Alive 4 back in the day. Team Ninja wanted to include Master Chief as a guest fighter, but Bungie objected due to being really anal about storyline restrictions or something like that. So as a work around, TN came up with their own MC lookalike Spartan character, named Nicole.

It's possible the same thing prevented Chief from appearing in Killer Instinct. It should be noted that the Arbiter that appears as a guest fighter in that game isn't Thel 'Vadam that's a prominent character in Halo 2 and Halo 3, and is instead supposed to be an "amalgam of historical characters".

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It feels like third-party fans are more willing to accept minor content when Bomberman's AT and indie Mii costumes didn't cause the same ****storms as Rex's costume or Isaac returning to the assist roster.
It has more to do with expectations imo. Bomberman was deconfirmed immediately, so before he could really gain much momentum, and indie characters have never really been considered likely. Meanwhile Rex was considered one of the most likely characters as soon as Ultimate was announced, and a lot of people thought Isaac's chances were boosted considerably after K. Rool's reveal, since it was taken as a clear sign that long term fan requests were a priority, plus the irrelevancy argument was killed. If Isaac had been deconfirmed as early as Bomberman, then the reaction wouldn't have been anything more than mild disappointment.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

:ultpacman::ultincineroar:and :ultbyleth: were all among my top wants at some point in time

Pac in particular was one I held in super high regards

He always felt like a weird omission for me when it came to Brawl

his inclusion was obvious in retrospect due to Bamco's involvement, but I was starting to have some doubt after both Sonic and Mega Man were confirmed for 4

I screamed during his unveiling, lemme tell ya

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Yeah, I've gotten quite a few over the years:

• Sonic (I was a kid who was obsessed with the guy and I had doubts about his chances)
  • Toon Link (Was hoping for but never expected another Link, much less the one from my favorite Zelda game)
  • Mega Man (Grew up playing Mega Man and wanted him in since Brawl)
  • Cloud (FFVII is one of my favorite games ever and he was always a huge pipe dream pick)
  • Ridley (Wanted him in since Brawl)
  • Richter (I knew the CV rep would always be Simon but I was rooting for Richter instead for years)
  • Byleth (Three Houses was my favorite game of 2019)

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

My entire childhood I always dreamed of Sonic, Megaman and Sora being in Smash and in my adulthood I wanted Layton and Joker even though I thought they were the most unlikely of the bunch to make it in.

Id say I'm doing pretty good in the "dream character making it into Smash" department.
Here's to hoping one of the last 2 makes it in.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
There's that and also the fact that there just aren't many retro characters put over Takamaru. Balloon Fighter and Mach Rider are the only other ones I think might get in over him.
Hmm come to think of it.. Sakurai likes really Out there characters when it comes to retros.

Ice Climbers, Pit, and Duck Hunt. Pit being the most “traditional” of them.

I kind of fear Takamaru wouldn’t give him the opportunity to go wild with another retro moveset..
Especially after he has stated again and again his disdain for more sword wielding characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom