• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Here are the six characters I do/don't want:
  • Why don't
  • we learn
  • that this
  • is a bad idea
Seriously. I don't understand why y'all here are so fixated on negativity like what characters you don't want.

Can't we just talk about the ones we do want and leave it at that?
This site faux postiviy is more annoying then its fau negativy and criticism

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
name one guy who's gonna burn me for not wanting fire emblem #9
"I want more FE characters."
"It has one less character than Mario! No one is asking for this, and we don't need any more shill picks!"

"I don't want more FE characters."
"Let me guess - you think the number characters in a series matters?! FE gets more characters because it's successful!"

I see both scenarios frequently. Either the entire thread is jumping on you for wanting nine FE characters, or the entire thread is jumping on you because you're just another person who's still salty over Corrin and Byleth.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I went and made my own Fighters Pass 2 template with blackjack and hookers. Here it is for anyone who wants to use it...

... and here's some of my personal most wanted characters, as an example of the template filled in...

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I would be very happy and satisfied if we got additional Pokémon and Fire Emblem characters, but they were fan favorites from older games.

Ever since Smash 4, it's just been "character from the most recent non-remake game" for both series. Pokémon in particular hasn't added new characters that weren't just from the newest game since Brawl with Pokémon Trainer.

I'm aware older characters in series that already have a lot of characters aren't really a priority, but it would be nice to see, say, Blaziken and Zekrom or Caeda and Lyn. They're beloved, too. At least they're spirits, but *shrugs*

ScootsFloop

Smash Rookie
Spring Man is basically confirmed. We just need to wait for his reveal trailer. Hopefully during e3 so he can swiggity swooty into Smash. He is about as obvious as it gets. Other than that, I pray for Black Shadow.
While he would make some sense, the game he comes from isn’t popular enough(my opinion) and I don’t think Nintendo would choose to put him in the game. If he did make ornaments in the game he would definitely they be an interesting character for sure, skins could be like inkling skins where it’s jut different characters from the game, and his move set could have a lot of possibilities

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
While he would make some sense, the game he comes from isn’t popular enough(my opinion) and I don’t think Nintendo would choose to put him in the game. If he did make ornaments in the game he would definitely they be an interesting character for sure, skins could be like inkling skins where it’s jut different characters from the game, and his move set could have a lot of possibilities
THIS WAS WAS MADE TWO YEARS AGO, MY DUDE.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Okay, here's something that should be fun so long as people respect each other's opinions.

Select six characters for the second pass: three you really want, and three you don't want at all. Using only the knowledge other users have of you, see if they can separate the ones you want from the ones you don't want. You can make it easy or difficult depending on who you choose. If you want to make it hard, pick popular characters you don't want and unpopular characters you do want

Here's mine. Shouldn't be too difficult if you've read a few of my posts. I purposely avoided using many characters from my signature, so don't bother cheating off of that.

Wolf Link and Midna
Geno
Steve
Zacian/Zamazenta
Crash Bandicoot
Sylux
Here goes.

Geno
2B
Rillaboom
Doomguy
Reimu
Heihachi

Last edited:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Why are there 6 fighters and a second pass?
Sakurai answer: To make Smash the biggest and best crossover ever.
Nintendo answer:

I'm not expecting any real speculation questions about who might be in to be answered in the column. I'd hope for maybe a timeframe of when we can expect something, be it a full reveal or something more like Joker and Terry's announcements.
All the dlc in Smash 4 pass met financial goals in some way. For the first 3 dlc characters fans who used to play those characters bought by default. Ryu, Bayonetta, and Corrin promoted games on top of dlc cash. Cloud by being such a huge ip acted as a hook.

Either A, a character needs to make money by selling a ton of dlc. Or B, they need to advertise a game to drive its success.

In Smash Ultimate DLC, it appears a wide net is cast. If I can apply 1 character that attracts demographic x, and 1 character that attracts demographic y, then I can get both demographic x and y to buy the fighters pass.
Hence Banjo, Hero, and Terry. Each covering a differing regional area of interest. AKA serving to sell lots of DLC.
Byleth and Joker dlc helped drive success in their games. Being shown first and last as dlc might have been imperative. That is when people are paying close attention to the dlc in anticipation. Hence I predict the first and last dlc to be focused on promotional characters.

But anyway, I am going to analyze the characters in my sig.
Shantae is a modest IP. Based on internet polls she might sell alot of dlc on the same principle as K.Roo and Ridley having fan appeal. She would be on the roster to sell DLC, rather than for promotional reasons. However, while she can make money, I don't think she can make the most money. Her crucial weakness is that her appeal base is largely American (based on twitter poll). Hence I don't think she'd be the first choice.

Crono and Zero will also sell dlc, but they don't capture new demographics. At a glance it seems Hero might cover much of the same player base as Chrono trigger, and Zero much of the same player base as Megaman. At the same time Zero is already represented in Smash, further implying that that base is already covered.

Tracer has strength as a promotional character, but is not huge in Japan. Based on my research, she nonetheless has world wide recognition. I thought her chances were ok before, but if she serves to cast a wide net she may be quite likely. However, because Blizzard gave nintendo an okay to use any of their characters, I think she's not in. Because if she was in, I don't think this type of information would be allowed to proliferate.

Phoenix Wright and Layton are both active series, have good connections with nintendo systems, and would attract new players. I suppose the question is how much DLC can they sell? As promotional characters their series each sold in the millions. I suppose they have a decent chance. Weakest side might be that they probably did just OK on the fighter ballot.

Dark Souls is a popular, but it seems that series is either at its end, or at a pause. As it can only promote the switch versions, it will have to sell DLC like hot cakes. Will it sell DLC? It has both west and east appeal. It should do as well as any average DLC. Not sure if it will convert people to buying fighter pass 2.

Sora is free real estate. Discussions have already happened. He would serve as an anchor for the pass like Cloud, he did well on the ballot, would sell well, promote well (kh on switch, just like persona). Only issue is...whether the negotiations were successful. Regardless, he makes 100 percent financial sense. Given nintendo track record at succeeding at this type of thing, I'd say he has good chances overall.

KOS-MOS
Unique enough to be a selling point on its own. On top of being a representative of the growing Xeno franchise. Due to company connections and potential relevance in future titles, it could happen. The wind would need to blow in her direction Not particularly likely, but possible with luck.

Amaterasu
(wanted in sig)
Very appealing character design wise, and probably fighter wise. Would have to carry its weight in DLC sales. As long as Nintendo believes in this character, they can make it. Based on surveys, Amaterasu's ballot data might not indicate this. It would take some foresight to come to a conclusion that says, Amaterasu = money. Unfortunate, but not likely at the moment.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Ryu, Bayonetta, and Corrin promoted games on top of dlc cash.
I am doubtful of how much Ryu is a promo for SFV. The game was 100% ignored by 4 and 99% by Ultimate, with Ryu's moveset primarily focusing on SFII and having his down-B be the Focus Attack, something that's solely an SFIV thing.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Axel Stone - Streets of Rage

Crono - Chrono Trigger

Geno - Super Mario RPG (I think he's cool)

Travis Touchdown - No More Heroes

Ryu Hayabusa - Ninja Gaiden

Doom Guy - DOOM

Crash Bandicoot - Crash Bandicoot

Klonoa - Klonoa

and of course...

SGT. CORTEZ! TIME TO SPLIT!
View attachment 262590
Gotta say, I admire how you keep finding new gifs of Cortez.
Okay, here's something that should be fun so long as people respect each other's opinions.

Select six characters for the second pass: three you really want, and three you don't want at all. Using only the knowledge other users have of you, see if they can separate the ones you want from the ones you don't want. You can make it easy or difficult depending on who you choose. If you want to make it hard, pick popular characters you don't want and unpopular characters you do want

Here's mine. Shouldn't be too difficult if you've read a few of my posts. I purposely avoided using many characters from my signature, so don't bother cheating off of that.

Wolf Link and Midna
Geno
Steve
Zacian/Zamazenta
Crash Bandicoot
Sylux
This looks fun. I'll take "don't want" as "lack of want" because I want many characters and the ones I actively dislike I've been very vocal about. Let's see if this is hard to guess:

Rayman
Geralt
Elma
Shantae
Sora
Adol
The issue with this is that I love video games too much to think of 3 characters who I'd be against now.

Also I played a slightly overpriced gem of a game due to major discounts and I demand some spirits
View attachment 262650
This game maaaaad cute
I remember watching a trailer for this a year ago and thinking it looked really cool, is the game itself good?

D

Deleted member

Gotta say, I admire how you keep finding new gifs of Cortez.
Gotta hand it to Evil Trapezium Evil Trapezium tho. If there's a very positive remark I can say about him, it's that he's really dedicated to bring Sgt. Cortez to the game.

If he gets in, he's the person I'd immediately think of and be happy for him.

q0001

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4997-3907-2086
I want Sol Badguy for Smash, but I'm peaved that Terry jacked his gunflame. >:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Some of Sol's moves seem kind of like Terry's(That Power Dunk and that Crack Shoot looking attack) and others like Ryu(His uppercut, and I think the new game gives him a Tatsu like move), though really only on a surface level. From what I've seen of the guy, he also has a Dive kick(or maybe something more like Liu Kang's Flying Kick), so that's unique to him. Not to mention the Dust attacks. Though GG does seem to have quite a bit influence from Capcom and SNK. And besides, his punches and kicks seem very different from the two, on top of Sol having Junkyard Dog.

Gunflame doesn't travel as far and has a larger vertical effect. So I don't even think it'd be a direct copy of Power Wave. Think of a weaker and faster version of Ike's fully charged Eruption.

But I'll have to admit I'm no GG expert, I'm mostly going off of what I've seen people using Sol do. So I'm 90% sure I'm missing details about Sol's kit.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Wolf Link and Midna
Geno
Steve
Zacian/Zamazenta
Crash Bandicoot
Sylux
Okay. I guess I'm doing this. My top 5 would be way too obvious, so I won't be using any of them. Keep in mind, I'm using "don't want" very loosely here. I don't have any big problems with the characters in question, it's just I'd rather have someone else for various reasons.

Frisk
KOS-MOS
Rayman
Sol Badguy
Bomberman
Lara Croft

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, Sol's one of those characters I don't know too much about, but I'd be perfectly fine with being added if it ever happened. He looks cool and some interesting moves, so I'd probably end up liking him quite a bit.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
This sort of “guess who I want and don’t want” is tough for me, but not because I am clear on who I want.

Something I’ve learned is that as much as I say I don’t want something, the gameplay working just right can convince me to like a character. For example, I was 100% sure Chrom was the pick for Smash 4, and we got Robin. I disliked the prospect of Robin because I wanted Chrom.

Anyway, Robin is one of my favorite additions from Wii U. Very different, and while he’s not a main of mine, I enjoy playing as them.

Lastly, I more or less look at things with a mix of want and expectation. I might want a character but there are certain things that are going on that prevent me from thinking they’re likely. Therefore, it’s kinda hard for me to take part in the activity.

For once it’s actually kinda interesting though. Usually when somebody says “here’s a fun game!” , it’s the opposite. A not very fun, unoriginal game.

Though, I would wager some folks don’t want particular characters because they haven’t played their games. Which is valid. But I also feel it’s not giving a fair shake.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Another day, another week. Shall see whether Emily Rogers is right about that Animal Crossing Direct and then next week if Zippo is right of another which should be an General Direct.

Otherwise March it probably is.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Another day, another week. Shall see whether Emily Rogers is right about that Animal Crossing Direct and then next week if Zippo is right of another which should be an General Direct.

Otherwise March it probably is.
I doubt they’d announce anything today as it’s a US Holiday. I noticed they skip US/CA holidays along with JP holidays when it comes to making announcements. Dunno about the rest of the world

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I doubt they’d announce anything today as it’s a US Holiday. I noticed they skip US/CA holidays along with JP holidays when it comes to making announcements. Dunno about the rest of the world
I know that probably should had been a little more clear tbh. We have tomorrow and Wednesday to find out.

Flik

Smash Journeyman

There aren't that many characters I REALLY don't want compared to who I'm indifferent, so it's more of a list of Likes vs Indifference:

2B
Crash
Dante
Megaman X
Sora
Waluigi

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Like, I kiiiiinda trust Emily, but she's been wrong before so I wouldn't put all my eggs into that particular basket.

AC Direct would be cooler than a General to my right now though, so hopefully she's right.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Sounds rather fun. For me, it'd be:
  • Elma
  • Rex & Pyra
  • Waluigi
  • Geno
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Officer Howard/Akira Howard
I tried limiting myself to first party(-ish) characters. Should be pretty easy nonetheless, though.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Okay. I guess I'm doing this. My top 5 would be way too obvious, so I won't be using any of them. Keep in mind, I'm using "don't want" very loosely here. I don't have any big problems with the characters in question, it's just I'd rather have someone else for various reasons.

Frisk
KOS-MOS
Rayman
Sol Badguy
Bomberman
Lara Croft
Want: Sol Badguy, Bomberman, Frisk
Don’t Want: Lara Croft, Rayman, KOS-MOS

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace

Wolf Link and Midna
Geno
Steve
Zacian/Zamazenta
Crash Bandicoot
Sylux
Oh this will be fun. Let’s see. My 6 are:

Crash Bandicoot
KOS-MOS
Sora
Waluigi
Rayman
New Pokémon from Sword & Shield

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
FP6: Octoling
FP7: Dante
FP8: Travis
FP9: Arle
FP10: Gooigi
FP11: Geno
  • Elma
  • Rex & Pyra
  • Waluigi
  • Geno
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Officer Howard/Akira Howard
Alright let me see if I can figure you two out and explain my reasoning!

MooMew64 MooMew64

You want:
Octoling - I remember you having a Splatoon profile pic of... I'm gonna say Callie with a santa hat?
Gooigi - I want to say that this is japes but I'm going to go against my gut feeling on this and say you do actually want him.
Travis Touchdown - Come on, you can't tell me you don't want Travis Touchdown. It'd be a falsehood to deny it.

Don't want
Geno - I think remember you not really getting the appeal of him.
Dante - I don't think I remember you talking about Dante very much.
Arle - Same thing with Dante. I don't remember you talking about her that much, even when she was the discussion of the month.

Calamitas Calamitas

You want:
Elma - Xenoblade avatar and I remember mentioning that you part of the Elma thread.
Rex & Pyra - I think I remember you talking about wanting Rex & Pyra in one of your wishlists
Akira Howard - I remember you being sad when they were confirmed as spirits

Geno - v
Chibi-Robo - All three I've never heard you talk about much.
Waluigi - ^

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If anyone is interested, SourceGaming is hosting another Mega Fan Poll.

Now this is gonna be interesting, not because of a poll, but because SG already made a poll for Smash 4 and I think it'd be great to compare the results, especially due to all the things that have happened in the last 5 years

Cadillac

Smash Seeker

Wolf Link and Midna
Geno
Steve
Zacian/Zamazenta
Crash Bandicoot
Sylux
Ok then, let me try
Hornet
Reimu
Yuri Lowell
Isaac
Jonesy